It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 04-05-21, 11:22 PM   #4161
frank the tank
Shankly

Looks class alright

We have said this numerous times over the last 20 years or so, but we have some special young talent at the club. Yer man Gordon from Derby is supposed to be brilliant, Balagizi and Clarkson too. Plus we signed some young defender from celta Vigo last year who is supposed to be really good. Then obviously there is Jones and elliot
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 06:32 AM   #4162
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Looks class alright

We have said this numerous times over the last 20 years or so, but we have some special young talent at the club. Yer man Gordon from Derby is supposed to be brilliant, Balagizi and Clarkson too. Plus we signed some young defender from celta Vigo last year who is supposed to be really good. Then obviously there is Jones and elliot
Stefan Bajcetic - making a good impression already from what I’ve read
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 09:16 AM   #4163
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Looks class alright

Wilson is supposed to be a hot prospect too...
Old 05-05-21, 12:20 PM   #4164
Angryred
Dalglish

Too many times have we seen youngsters blazing a trail in the underages only to bomb when they get into the U23s & first team so rather reserve my opinion on how good they are...It's all just a promise & nothing else!
Old 06-05-21, 01:19 PM   #4165
Exiled_red
Paisley

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/balo...611nmx7qgkymoe

Quote:
Balotelli would score own goals in training!' - Ex-Liverpool striker Lambert opens up on his Anfield regrets

The former England international fulfilled a lifelong dream when he joined the Reds from Southampton, but only spent one season with his boyhood club
Rickie Lambert has opened up about his ill-fated spell at Liverpool, and revealed how Mario Balotelli drove him to distraction with his training ground antics at Anfield.

Lambert, a lifelong Red, spent a season with Liverpool after completing a dream – and surprise – switch from Southampton in the summer of 2014.

The striker, who scored close to 250 goals during a remarkable 18-year career, would make 36 appearances for his boyhood club, netting three times. He would also captain the Reds in a League Cup win over Middlesbrough at Anfield.

But having failed to hold down a regular place - he made just a dozen starts in all competitions - he left for West Brom in July 2015. He retired from playing after a spell at Cardiff in 2017.

What was Lambert's biggest regret?
Speaking to the Straight From the Off podcast, Kirkby-born Lambert spoke of his joy at being told that Liverpool, who had released him as a 15-year-old, had come in for him 17 years later, but also revealed the biggest mistake he made after he returned.

He said: “I was in Southampton and my agent rang me and said ‘are you sitting down?’ I was in bed, so I sat up and he said ‘Liverpool are in for you’. I just said ‘f*ck off!’ but he said it was serious. I was like ‘oh my word!’

“I couldn’t tell anyone. My mates still haven’t forgiven me! The rumours were getting out, and they were asking if it was right. They obviously couldn’t believe it. It was crazy. It was a dream.”

Lambert added: “My first pre-season, this is one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. [Brendan] Rodgers gave me, Stevie [Gerrard] and the lads at England, I think it was five weeks off, so we would come back a lot later than everyone else. But I went on holiday with the missus and kids, and then I went back, because I wanted to be in the best shape possible playing for Liverpool.

“So I literally had two weeks off and then came back with the first group at Liverpool. And that was a massive mistake. Pretty early on I was thinking ‘f*cking hell’. I could feel it in my legs. I needed the break. It was a stupid mistake.

“I was 32 as well. The year before at Southampton I could start to feel a slight difference, my little yard of pace. Then at Liverpool I just felt leggy, I just didn’t have the energy and the attitude that I was in.

“But I was still raring to go, couldn’t wait for the season to start and thought I was going to hit the ground running, score, do what I’d always done and be a success.”

Lambert's relationship with Balotelli
Lambert is often, and wrongly, cast as the player signed to replace Luis Suarez at Liverpool.

The truth, however, is that Brendan Rodgers had intended to bring in Alexis Sanchez alongside Lambert, only for the Chile star to choose a move to Arsenal instead.

Eventually, after an increasingly desperate summer search, Rodgers gambled on Balotelli, who arrived from AC Milan in a £16 million ($22m) deal.

“He was a good lad, childish but infectious,” Lambert said of the Italian. “But as soon as he stepped on the training pitch he became a different person.

“I’ve never seen anything like it, to be honest. I was at the pinnacle of my time as a professional, so to come across him was just…

“At first, he gave everything when he played. But in training, I could tell he wasn’t giving his all. He was answering Brendan back and my head went with that.

“The fact that he was playing in front of me didn’t bother me at first, I thought ‘I’ll get myself in’ but just seeing the way he was in training, and then he was playing, it did affect me a little bit.

“My head went with him in training and I had to go in and say to Brendan ‘don’t put me on his team again’. I think Stevie had said the same.

“His head would just go. If it wasn’t going his way, he would just ruin the session basically. He’d kick the ball away, score an own goal.

“I was speaking to Joe Hart and the lads at England and they were like ‘he was like that at City’. I’d ask them ‘how did he get away with it?’. They just shook their heads.”

‘I knew I’d f*cked it up’
It took Lambert 12 games to open his Reds account, though his goal at Crystal Palace came in only his third league start.

But he remembers the day he knew things were not going to work out for him at Liverpool vividly.

“We played Basel at home, and I was terrible,” he said. “I couldn’t really feel my legs, I didn’t have the little burst I’d had my whole career. We were 1-0 down at half-time, we needed a goal and he brought me off.

“I kind of knew ‘I’ve f*cked this up here’. I deserved to get brought off, and I was gutted.”

He added: “Shortly after, Brendan pulled me and said ‘[Alan] Pardew has come in for you’. He was the Crystal Palace manager at the time. This was December, and he said ‘I think you should go in January, because I can’t promise you any game time here’.

“I didn’t really think about it. I said ‘I’ve left Southampton to join Liverpool, and you want me to join Crystal Palace after five months?! Why would I do that?’

“I basically told him no, and I didn’t play then. He changed the system, played Sterling up top and I literally didn’t touch the ball for about three-and-a-half months. That was a really tough time. Aston Villa came in at the end of January and I was very close to joining, but I always thought ‘I’ll turn this round’. But with not playing, my fitness was getting worse and worse, and I couldn’t affect anything.

“I knew I was out the door before the end of the season. I didn’t want to be a burden to Liverpool. I was gutted that it didn’t work out, but I didn’t want to be on the books, sitting in the stand. That wasn’t me. So as soon as the season finished, I was sorting my move out.”
Old 06-05-21, 01:34 PM   #4166
Paul12
Benitez

Lambert always struck me as an odd move both by us, because he was so obviously over his peak. Brenda is a good manager and will get even better, but crumbs did he make some mistakes with us whilst still really a learner.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 02:54 PM   #4167
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He left us to join West Brom where he scored 1 goal in 20 games
Old 07-05-21, 02:59 AM   #4168
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

I only he'd had a longer holiday!
Old 07-05-21, 03:55 PM   #4169
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Got a lot of respect for lambert. Played his way up the leagues. Scored plenty of goals. No one is turning down the chance to sign for their team, no matter if your legs have gone. I bet he was proper gutted when he realised he was finished. At least he did more than the rest of us fans, he pulled on the shirt and scored 3 goals. Comes across as a proper fella.
Old 07-05-21, 04:52 PM   #4170
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

How can you not? As you say, he put the work in and got himself to a top team and an international call up. Achievements that only a tiny fraction of players achieve.
Old 10-05-21, 07:34 AM   #4171
kev776
Paisley

Jordan Henderson - has been seen playing cards with VVD; Gomez and Matip in the new canteen, people asking if we will ever see him actually play again
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 09:58 AM   #4172
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Eh???
Old 10-05-21, 12:25 PM   #4173
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 10-05-21, 12:50 PM   #4174
Fivex
The Wisp

Sign him up!
Old 10-05-21, 01:49 PM   #4175
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That’s an absolute rocket
Old 10-05-21, 04:34 PM   #4176
memzey
Fagan

I loved Maxi. Had that priceless ability to pop up with goals when we really needed them.
Old 10-05-21, 04:48 PM   #4177
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by memzey View Post
I loved Maxi. Had that priceless ability to pop up with goals when we really needed them.
People who rate him definitely know infinitely more about football compared to those who don't.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 04:49 PM   #4178
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
People who rate him definitely know infinitely more about football compared to those who don't.
He used to get loads of stick off some of our own too
Old 10-05-21, 05:00 PM   #4179
Liverpool
Paisley

he's pretty much had two full careers.

287 games, 98 goals in South America

289 games 73 goals in Europe

Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 05:22 PM   #4180
ChesterDave
Paisley

Layton Maxwell, now at Cardiff... Crown Court.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...aling-24051138
ChesterDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 05:40 PM   #4181
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Jesus. 41?!?
Old 10-05-21, 05:55 PM   #4182
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Layton Maxwell, now at Cardiff... Crown Court.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...aling-24051138
Ex-Liverpool star??? did he ever get a game? think he might have played and scored in a league cup game, but I could be confusing him with a plethora of other never going to make it reserve players at the time.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 08:43 PM   #4183
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Ex-Liverpool star??? did he ever get a game? think he might have played and scored in a league cup game, but I could be confusing him with a plethora of other never going to make it reserve players at the time.
He scored on his debut in the league cup in what I think might have been his only appearance
Old 11-05-21, 10:45 PM   #4184
Pepe79
Shankly

Sebastian Coates, captain of Sporting Lisbon's 1st league title in 19 years

Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-21, 12:28 PM   #4185
Irishnev
Shankly

We’ve had so many players who “could have been but for injuries” - Rob Jones, Agger (early days), Naby and more but Sturridge was the one......if he had the durability of Suarez...

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-21, 01:47 PM   #4186
Charly
Dalglish

Remember Veggard Hegem? Along with Markus Babbel and Clyne... Curse of the rightback
Old 18-05-21, 11:21 AM   #4187
McDermotX
Paisley

Looking well. Great to see

Old 18-05-21, 01:22 PM   #4188
Gray
Dalglish

Jeez thats emotional. What a guy.
Old 18-05-21, 01:24 PM   #4189
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
Was coming in to post that!...amazing to see that Dom's alright & was made up to see Millie & Klopp.
Old 18-05-21, 01:40 PM   #4190
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
That's great.

I know we always say it, but isn't Jurgen amazing. Finds the right words almost all the time, in his second language. It will crush the shit out of us all when he leaves.
Old 18-05-21, 01:41 PM   #4191
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Heartwarming stuff. Glad he's pulled through.

Puts worrying about beating Burnley and Palace in perspective.
Old 18-05-21, 01:56 PM   #4192
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah, thats a truly incredible story. What a guy.

Interesting to hear about the values he instilled in Milner, who now instills the same standards in the current team.
Old 18-05-21, 02:11 PM   #4193
Corndog
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
We’ve had so many players who “could have been but for injuries” - Rob Jones, Agger (early days), Naby and more but Sturridge was the one......if he had the durability of Suarez...

https://twitter.com/cf_comps9/status...66062165417987
He was world class for a time. I've seen some people try and claim that it was Suarez making him look good but thats a bunch of bollocks. He was a massive part of that title run and was so good that when the world cup came around he was everyone's clear pick for the start at centre forward.

I genuinely think he is one of the most naturally gifted strikers england has had and if he had not had the injuries, could have gone on to be the record goal scorer.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 09:29 PM   #4194
Charly
Dalglish

Sturridge had a similar (if not better) scoring ratio than Salah and Suarez when he first joined. Big shame he kept getting injued. England did him a couple of times... Wasnt it bodgeson refusing to let him do his taylored training regeime?

Fucking old dinosaur.
Old 25-05-21, 10:31 AM   #4195
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This is a great interview.

Old 25-05-21, 01:04 PM   #4196
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Comes across as a nice guy, very genuine... but wow, was he a liability...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 03:24 PM   #4197
frank the tank
Shankly

i'd love two hours with the fella........could re-watch the game and explain why he was at fault for that game........ he wouldn't need to take it to his grave then ha ha
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 08:14 PM   #4198
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
i'd love two hours with the fella........could re-watch the game and explain why he was at fault for that game........ he wouldn't need to take it to his grave then ha ha
Old 25-05-21, 08:22 PM   #4199
ChesterDave
Paisley

Skrtel used to get loads of shit on here for being out of the defensive line keeping players on so to hold everyone to the same standard Sakho was defo at fault for the first, not Moreno. He was about 10 yards out of line allowing the player to get a free run.
ChesterDave is online now   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC