It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 18-10-20, 11:16 AM   #1
kubrickscube
Fagan

Title defence over?

I know this is possibly a knee-jerk reaction (probably a poor choice of phrase given the circumstances), but if Virg is out for the season, and Thiago is similarly sidelined, do you think we can realistically defend our title?
We are worryingly short on defensive options, and Van Dijk has such a influential role, it's going to be very difficult to maintain our high standards in his absence.
What a depressing day.
kubrickscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 18-10-20, 11:25 AM   #2
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

If other top teams were being as consistent as you'd expect, then quite possibly. But this is going to be a weird season, probably related to lack of crowds, so there will be ups and downs for everyone. But I personally don't think we'll win it from here, but can't say who will.
Old 18-10-20, 11:35 AM   #3
Exiled_red
Paisley

I think given the impact that VVD has had on the side, if he is out for any significant amount of time (as looks to be the case) then realistically the answer is yes. Sure we can try to build a case for a defence built around Matip, Gomez and Fabinho doing a good job, but the organisation and confidence that VVD gives us is a massive part of our game, without him we will concede more goals so unless we can find the extra goals from somewhere to start winning games 4-3 rather than 1-0 or 2-1 then I fear that the VVD injury will have been the turning point.

Thiago is also a big loss (particularly if we have to shift Fabinho back into defence) but given he's only played two games it is difficult to assess how much of an impact he would have had on the side.
Old 18-10-20, 11:37 AM   #4
Maxiedge
Shankly

Matip is still one of the best defenders in the league and Godmez will step up for his pal. Also, have plenty of options in midfield.

So no, itís nowhere near over.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 12:27 PM   #5
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
Matip is still one of the best defenders in the league and Godmez will step up for his pal. Also, have plenty of options in midfield.

So no, itís nowhere near over.
Gomez and Matip is a reasonable pairing - good even - but we'll have to buck the trend of one or both getting injured at some point if we're going to have any chance of being in the hunt IMO.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 11:45 AM   #6
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Except they have Adrian behind them and not Alisson
Old 18-10-20, 11:54 AM   #7
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Except they have Adrian behind them and not Alisson
Alisson will be back earlier than initially expected apparently. One bit of good news from yesterday (aside from the performance too).
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 12:20 PM   #8
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
Alisson will be back earlier than initially expected apparently. One bit of good news from yesterday (aside from the performance too).
Kin hope so
Old 18-10-20, 12:32 PM   #9
Pepe79
Dalglish

Yeah, so far we’ve been able to juggle Matip and Gomez’ injuries. Now we’re looking at needing them to go maybe 6 or 7 months injury free concurrently.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 12:45 PM   #10
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Way too early for this sort of chat.

Fight to the end. I think it will be a tight race this season seems as though some teams are playing with more confidence without having the home crowd on their backs.

So expect teams to drop more points.

We will be right in the mix even without VVD. If he is out for the season we will have to bring someone in in Jan.
Old 18-10-20, 02:14 PM   #11
Sus
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Way too early for this sort of chat.

Fight to the end. I think it will be a tight race this season seems as though some teams are playing with more confidence without having the home crowd on their backs.

So expect teams to drop more points.

We will be right in the mix even without VVD. If he is out for the season we will have to bring someone in in Jan.
Spot on Buzzo. Will make it harder but its the reason
We have a big squad.

Crazy season already so it's all up for grabs
Sus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 12:46 PM   #12
Gray
Dalglish

Its not like the other contenders are amazing. Every one will drop points.
Old 18-10-20, 01:18 PM   #13
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

FFS no way! I reckon we'll see Jones step up with Fabinho in defence and we'll revert to 4-0 thrashings Liverpool when Salah first joined us!
Old 18-10-20, 02:18 PM   #14
RichC
Meh

I can’t believe there’s a thread for this after 5 games. Fuck me
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 02:32 PM   #15
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I can’t believe there’s a thread for this after 5 games. Fuck me

Some of the shit posted after the Villa match makes a mockery of the 'opposition fan gems' thread as some of our supporters are worse.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 02:51 PM   #16
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrickscube View Post
I know this is possibly a knee-jerk reaction (probably a poor choice of phrase given the circumstances), but if Virg is out for the season, and Thiago is similarly sidelined, do you think we can realistically defend our title?
We are worryingly short on defensive options, and Van Dijk has such a influential role, it's going to be very difficult to maintain our high standards in his absence.
What a depressing day.
The epitome of knee jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I canít believe thereís a thread for this after 5 games. Fuck me

We have - Ali, Robbo, Trent, Matip, Gomez, Hendo, Naby, Gini, Milner, front 3, Jota, Shaq, Mini + more

We also have KLOPP

Nobody pulling up trees and Jan window with a break in case of emergency fund - weíll be fine
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 02:33 PM   #17
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

We're also 2nd in the table after playing Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton in our first 5 games, plus Villa and Leeds are proving no pushovers for other clubs.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 03:33 PM   #18
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Itís going to be a crazy weird season. I reckon 85 points wins you it this year.

If VVD is out for the season I canít see us winning it but we will still be there or thereabouts
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 04:03 PM   #19
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Itís going to be a crazy weird season. I reckon 85 points wins you it this year.

If VVD is out for the season I canít see us winning it but we will still be there or thereabouts
That's where I'm at as well, I'm not saying it's impossible, it's certainly going to be more difficult, someone would really need to step up to fill the gap. But if we don't win it I think we will look back at this as a key 'if only...' moment. I hope I'm wrong obviously
Old 19-10-20, 09:55 AM   #20
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It’s going to be a crazy weird season. I reckon 85 points wins you it this year.

If VVD is out for the season I can’t see us winning it but we will still be there or thereabouts
Agree. Buckle up. We're in for the most batshit-mental and random season ever IMO. This is unprecedented times and there'll be lots more daft results. No one walks away with it this year. I'd say it's nigh on impossible to predict who'll win it, if it even gets finished at all.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 19-10-20, 10:35 AM   #21
Corndog
Fagan

VVD is irreplaceable. His injury puts additional demand on all parts of the team. Without him we'll miss 5-7 goals a season and his ridiculous dominance in the air as well as his strength in the 1:1.

But most of all, I think the team will miss his passing. The cross field balls he can play to the front three are a big part of our game and make it harder for opponents to pressure the team.

The good news is that Matip and Gomez are great players in their own right who are comfortable with the ball at feet and both are pacey, decent passers. Matip is also a beast aerially.

IF both could stay fit, there's still a great chance to win the league in my opinion although that's a big if given their injury record.

Whichever way you cut it though, all players have to lift their game now, particularly the forwards and occasional goal scoring midfielders because we will concede more goals now.

Lots of different ways to win matches though and the rest of the team is basically world class so it's doable. No way is it over yet.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 10:47 AM   #22
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
VVD is irreplaceable. His injury puts additional demand on all parts of the team. Without him we'll miss 5-7 goals a season and his ridiculous dominance in the air as well as his strength in the 1:1.

But most of all, I think the team will miss his passing. The cross field balls he can play to the front three are a big part of our game and make it harder for opponents to pressure the team.

The good news is that Matip and Gomez are great players in their own right who are comfortable with the ball at feet and both are pacey, decent passers. Matip is also a beast aerially.

IF both could stay fit, there's still a great chance to win the league in my opinion although that's a big if given their injury record.

Whichever way you cut it though, all players have to lift their game now, particularly the forwards and occasional goal scoring midfielders because we will concede more goals now.

Lots of different ways to win matches though and the rest of the team is basically world class so it's doable. No way is it over yet.
His biggest asset is his availability - he never misses games
Old 18-10-20, 04:05 PM   #23
fidget
Shankly

It'll make winning it this season all the sweeter.
Old 18-10-20, 04:12 PM   #24
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Klopp is big on team mentality. Yes of course we will miss Virgil but how weak would we be to just let this blow ruin our season. This season was always going to be a bit crazy. I am pretty sure you will see strength in adversity from us

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 05:11 PM   #25
kubrickscube
Fagan

Hopefully we can pull together and our many other leaders on the pitch can keep us strong. Come on the reds. I know it’s knee jerk, but if someone told me before the game we’d lose two of our best players for a long time, I’d be just as worried. I’m not saying we’re doomed and the fact that no one else in the league look perfect must count in our favour.
kubrickscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 09:01 PM   #26
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrickscube View Post
Hopefully we can pull together and our many other leaders on the pitch can keep us strong. Come on the reds. I know itís knee jerk, but if someone told me before the game weíd lose two of our best players for a long time, Iíd be just as worried. Iím not saying weíre doomed and the fact that no one else in the league look perfect must count in our favour.
Two huge setbacks the last few weeks. A humiliation against Villa and losing the leagues best defender.

Mentality monsters required now and every man up front having his best shooting boots on. Might need to be outscoring teams ala 2014.
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 06:23 PM   #27
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Spurs blow a 3-0 lead and we stay second.
Old 18-10-20, 06:28 PM   #28
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:

Just saw the score

I'm not sure any team in the league knows how to defend.

COVID football is crazy / shit
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 06:29 PM   #29
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post

Just saw the score

I'm not sure any team in the league knows how to defend.

COVID football is crazy / shit
Lanzini smashes in goal of the season from 30 yards with literally the last kick of the match.
Old 18-10-20, 08:50 PM   #30
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
What, seriously?

Edit: Wow, the Bale effect.
Old 18-10-20, 08:53 PM   #31
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
What, seriously?

Edit: Wow, the Bale effect.
3-0 up in the 82nd minute.

Bale came on in the 75th minute.
Old 18-10-20, 06:32 PM   #32
ChesterDave
Paisley

If our goal was not ruled out Villa would go top with a win. When was the last time they topped the top division?
Old 18-10-20, 06:35 PM   #33
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

We need to start scoring more goals because we are going to concede a lot of set pieces. Virg wins so much that we forget how dominate he is. Now we have a serial crock and someone hopelessly out of form. Plus a crock of shit in goal. If we win it this year it will be klopps greatest achievement.
Old 18-10-20, 09:23 PM   #34
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
If our goal was not ruled out Villa would go top with a win. When was the last time they topped the top division?
Villa the only team left with a 100% record
Old 18-10-20, 07:31 PM   #35
greenturnip
Houllier

Other teams have to make up 18 to 30 points on us - it will be close for once.
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 07:49 PM   #36
BigChief
Paisley

With the crap way everyone is playing this season 85 points should be enough to win the league. A few teams will get near. We have 10 points in the bag, just need to win 25 more games allowing to us to lose 8 more games along the way.

Talk of losing 8 more games in a season would have been heresy last season and would have given City enough motivation to do us. But this season is so, so different. We need to adapt accordingly.

*Disclaimer: obviously I'd like to win all our remaining games.
Old 18-10-20, 08:08 PM   #37
Irishnev
Shankly

As good as we have been over the past few seasons the roll of the dice has been with us. It was City last season who lost Laporte to an ACL - it feels like things have turned against us a bit already this season.

VVD is a huge loss - irreplaceable for us and arguably our most influential player. It still doesn’t take away from the fact that we are a brilliant side and can still win the title without him. My bigger worry is that he never missed a game and with the injury form of the other two and not replacing Lovren how long before we end up with Fab and Rhys Williams at the back....

We need luck until Jan and then we break open the rainy day fund and buy another CB
Old 18-10-20, 08:23 PM   #38
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Roll of dice defo wasn’t with us for the season before that.
Old 18-10-20, 08:25 PM   #39
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
Roll of dice defo wasnít with us for the season before that.
Ali save vs Milik, no serious injuries, Dembele miss at 3 nil in the Nou Camp......prob loads more but it seems like luck has gone against us this year. I still think we win the league btw
Old 18-10-20, 08:29 PM   #40
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Ali save vs Milik, no serious injuries, Dembele miss at 3 nil in the Nou Camp......prob loads more but it seems like luck has gone against us this year. I still think we win the league btw
I know what youíre saying, and tbf even then we had everyone out that semi & battered them at camp nou.

BUT

I was talking about the season before that.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC