It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 18-10-20, 01:44 PM   #721
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 02:20 PM   #722
Maxiedge
Shankly

Wow. Forgot it was him. That does add an interesting spin on it all
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 02:21 PM   #723
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
Which game was that?
Old 18-10-20, 02:22 PM   #724
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Which game was that?
Trying to work that kit out. Is it Villa?
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 02:25 PM   #725
S-RED
Dalglish

Burnley end of last season, got stiffed late on by that ref
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 02:26 PM   #726
S-RED
Dalglish

Palace pen is a farce today, FFS vvd and mo a man handled at every opportunity and then the ref gives a joke (ghost) pen for fuck all.
Old 19-10-20, 09:13 PM   #727
Zapater
Dalglish

Even as a neutral I fucking hate these marginal ones. Saiss scored a cracker for Wolves now and was ruled out for a toenail. Admittedly looked more off than our ones but it's all just a bit fucking frustrating.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 03:21 AM   #728
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Even as a neutral I fucking hate these marginal ones. Saiss scored a cracker for Wolves now and was ruled out for a toenail. Admittedly looked more off than our ones but it's all just a bit fucking frustrating.
It was more than marginal, I wouldn't be upset if that went against us.
Old 21-10-20, 06:28 AM   #729
Irishnev
Shankly

We all know it’s those who are making the decisions are why so many VAR calls are wrong and this guy is chief culprit

Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-20, 08:54 AM   #730
S-RED
Dalglish

he is truly abysmal & if that is the standard we have to expect going forward, the game is screwed.........

It's bad enough on pitch incompetency, but totally unacceptable when they have multiple replays to watch on a screen.

I still don't know why the on pitch refs have stopped using the pitchside monitors, it was working at the start of the season !!! its ridiculous
Old 21-10-20, 10:02 AM   #731
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Didn't realise it was him for the City / Leicester game too.
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-20, 01:26 PM   #732
wiw
Paisley

One look at this guy's face confirms what a bellend he is. If any of us were this incompetent at our jobs we'd have been sacked
Old 24-10-20, 06:44 PM   #733
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Another shambolic VAR day. Although that's pretty much every match day at the moment. Scrap it.
Old 24-10-20, 10:39 PM   #734
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Another shambolic VAR day. Although that's pretty much every match day at the moment. Scrap it.
What happened?
Old 24-10-20, 10:42 PM   #735
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Scrapping it would be a bit stupid. I'm sure we'd be complaining when decisions don't go our way and there's no VAR to rely upon.
Old 24-10-20, 10:46 PM   #736
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Different how?
Old 24-10-20, 10:49 PM   #737
Fredo

Quote:
Different how?
What?

It will improve. Might take a couple of years (last and this year's), but it will come, as with any piece of technology. Doesn't just work overnight.
Old 24-10-20, 10:53 PM   #738
RichC
Meh

VAR is an absolute mess at the moment, the errors and inconsistencies with it are unbelievable. It’s currently not fit for purpose, the tech itself might be good enough but the implementation and use of it is nowhere close to being so
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-20, 10:58 PM   #739
Fredo

It's human errors which are undermining it at the moment. It works in other countries so I cannot see why it won't work to a consistent extent here, especially as they can work back and realise these have been mistakes. There's nothing wrong with VAR, but the implementation still leaves us with issues that need sorting.
Old 24-10-20, 11:00 PM   #740
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
VAR is an absolute mess at the moment, the errors and inconsistencies with it are unbelievable. Itís currently not fit for purpose, the tech itself might be good enough but the implementation and use of it is nowhere close to being so

It is baffling why it is is such bad shape. The whole Stockley park is at the heart of it. Surely there is enough cash in football to have a bloke in a van somewhere outside the ground and a designated 4th (VAR) official. If VAR was owned by the match day officials I think it would work. The 'outsourcing' element is where it is breaking down.

I'm going to say again, this is how it works in Rugby Union and it is so effortless compared to this.

The decisions that have gone against us the last 2 games there is not a single person in football that would stand by them. But, with proper interpretation of the situations and use intelligent use of the tech then VAR should be making a positive impact on the game.

We are absolutely miles away from that happening.
Old 24-10-20, 11:05 PM   #741
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

It is baffling why it is is such bad shape. The whole Stockley park is at the heart of it. Surely there is enough cash in football to have a bloke in a van somewhere outside the ground and a designated 4th (VAR) official. If VAR was owned by the match day officials I think it would work. The 'outsourcing' element is where it is breaking down.

I'm going to say again, this is how it works in Rugby Union and it is so effortless compared to this.

The decisions that have gone against us the last 2 games there is not a single person in football that would stand by them. But, with proper interpretation of the situations and use intelligent use of the tech then VAR should be making a positive impact on the game.

I’m amazed how badly its being used, it’s even highlighted those that are making the decisions aren’t even sure of the rules themselves and get that wrong.

Rugby, tennis and cricket all use tech successfully to make decisions, football seem to have managed to implement tech and made the absolute worst job possible.

I’m not sure there’s many sensible fans across the PL that are happy with it and the lack of clarity from refs as to the decisions doesn’t help.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-20, 11:05 PM   #742
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

It hasn't come in over night, , they've been evaluating it for years. The issue is that the focus had been on technology, but technology isn't really the issue, except maybe for tight offsides. It's the rules about its use and the incompetence of the people using it. Now the former can change, but the latter won't. As of now, VAR is embarrassing the sport as a whole in this country.

Tonight we hear VAR only checked the position of Fab's tackle, not whether it was a foul. There is absolutely no logical reason for that. Against Everton they only checked the offside, not the subsequent dangerous play, again, no rational reason why. Today Maguire fouled the Chelsea player in the box, VAR didn't even look at it. Either the rules around VAR are monumentally stupid, and or the people using it haven't a fucking clue what they are doing. It's clear that we have two refs per game and they don't want to step on each others dicks.

There are only two ways that VAR can be run without that issue, either the on-field ref looks at everything contentious himself, with prompts to do so for any possible contentious situation, or the VAR overrides any decision that they think didn't match their own, with the help of the replays. One ref has to be responsible for the decisions made, and if we are trying to make things better than before, it's only logical that that is the ref with the best view, the VAR. The VAR should referee the match, with the on-field ref being a human whistle and card pocket imo. But either way, without radical reform, the process does not help the game, we can't even console ourselves with the idea that refs are only human and will inevitably miss things or mis-see things now, we know they had the views they needed, so trust is being degraded.

Last edited by Kenneth; 24-10-20 at 11:09 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-20, 11:50 PM   #743
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
What?

It will improve. Might take a couple of years (last and this year's), but it will come, as with any piece of technology. Doesn't just work overnight.
Nah.

The technology is fine. But as you well know, if the end users are abusing it, then it's the process that's fucked, not the tools.
Old 24-10-20, 11:53 PM   #744
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:

Not sure a man in a van outside the stadium would be any better than a man in an office or a man in a TV studio or a man in a pub or a man in a living room.

The location isn't the problem.

It's the idiots.
Old 25-10-20, 12:03 AM   #745
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Not sure a man in a van outside the stadium would be any better than a man in an office or a man in a TV studio or a man in a pub or a man in a living room.

The location isn't the problem.

It's the idiots.
I think the location is important, n terms of the VAR official being part of the matchday refereeing team, talking about the game in advance making sure they are all on the same age. OK, the van or whatever isn't the problem but he/she should be inside or outside the stadium. That surely creates a camaraderie between the officials meaning they will work together as a team and work to the correct decision.

I don't think they are currently interested at getting to the correct decision, they are looking to protect the criteria that they are working under. The correct decision should be all that matters, however in football it seems a by-product to the rules.
Old 25-10-20, 12:04 AM   #746
Exiled_red
Paisley

To be fair the Maguire one I can see why it wasn't referred to VAR that was from a set piece where there was alot going on, they wouldn't have known that they had to look for anything. If you have to check the pushing and pulling for every set piece delivered into the box the game will take forever. That's one that the linesman should pick up and refer to the ref/VAR official. Unless each team gets a VAR referral where they can ask the ref to look at something they think he missed, I think those type of incidents will continue to happen.

The bigger problem is the ones which are being referred to VAR and being judged inconsistently, it's getting to the point where no one knows the rules anymore: that Fabinho challenge was a foul apparently, and it occurred in the box, last week Mane was offside, and Pickford wasn't endangering an opponent. 3 out of the last 4 major VAR decisions in our last 2 games for me have been wrong (the 4th being the Salah offside was just correct).
Old 25-10-20, 12:09 AM   #747
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
I think the location is important, n terms of the VAR official being part of the matchday refereeing team, talking about the game in advance making sure they are all on the same age. OK, the van or whatever isn't the problem but he/she should be inside or outside the stadium. That surely creates a camaraderie between the officials meaning they will work together as a team and work to the correct decision.

I don't think they are currently interested at getting to the correct decision, they are looking to protect the criteria that they are working under. The correct decision should be all that matters, however in football it seems a by-product to the rules.
I kinda see where you're coming from, but in my normal working day I'm on calls with people from from 6 other time zones at various times. Even at the same time (poor Eric in Malaysia )

And all from my spare room!

Location ain't the problem. You can build camaraderie in many ways.

But there seems to be a bunch of vested interests at play here which are undermining everything.
Old 25-10-20, 12:18 AM   #748
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Are VAR referees not watching the live game too? Surely they see the same thing we do and say "Hang on a minute!"?

I think someone should make a video of how it should be and get it out there on social media. Start putting pressure on the FA (or whoever is relevant) as a vision of how it should work.

For example show how dick hair tight decisions are waved away because they're too tight to accurately call. How rugby tackles in the area are flagged. How transparency is used (like Rugby and Aussie FA). Show us how it should work and how it would improve the game.

And all of the above could use existing controversial decisions as the basis of the video. Then get buy in from clubs and fan groups and publicise it.
Old 25-10-20, 12:22 AM   #749
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
I kinda see where you're coming from, but in my normal working day I'm on calls with people from from 6 other time zones at various times. Even at the same time (poor Eric in Malaysia )

And all from my spare room!

Location ain't the problem. You can build camaraderie in many ways.

But there seems to be a bunch of vested interests at play here which are undermining everything.
Yeah, possibly.

I think there is a lot of pressure on them to get to the right decision, and they are not in reality working with infinite time to do so, so anything that helps expedite that.

Thats why as mentioned here, the fact that we seem to be as far away from a process that works now as we ever have been is incredible, what were they talking about in that year prior to launch???

I thought the refs were now to go to the screens to take control of the decision (the simplest correction to make) I've not seen that at all.

As for the offsides (ie the Mane one) level is on. If the ref is looking at that and it was not flagged and we cannot clearly see by eye any offside. Then it is not offside. That one is really simple. Fucking lines with a mm difference and then you look to the frame where the pass is made and it is just a blurry mess.

Level is on.

They are also making a mess of handball.

Its unbelievable the mess it is in.
Old 25-10-20, 08:39 AM   #750
frank the tank
Shankly

Just need to copy rugby ffs.

I can imagine all of the meetings and prep that went into this car crash of a system.

I used to think we'd have won the league 2 seasons ago if we had VAR - with that Kompany assault on salah. Not so sure now.... These fuckin dopes would just come out with "it's not a clear and obvious error" bullshit
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 08:53 AM   #751
frank the tank
Shankly

They say "we don't want to re-referee games" but it works OK in rugby.

Yesterday, various referees should have got the call to tell them:
- that Gundogan should have had a yellow for blatantly pulling back Rice. This was in the first half and a yellow card for him then would have had to change the way he approached the rest of the match
- that West ham should have had a penalty. Garcia got the ball after the man
- Maguire should have conceded a penalty. It was fuckin rediculus....you can't go doing that.
- Fabinho got the ball

Fuckin jokeshop.

Their raison d'etre needs to be getting decisions right. End of.
Old 25-10-20, 09:01 AM   #752
Exiled_red
Paisley

There has to be some explanation of the decision either the interaction of the officials as it is being made or by one of the officials after it has been made explaining it with the video. Because 3 of the last 4 major VAR calls made against us are baffling even after seeing them dozens of time since. Not explaining them does reputational damage to the game.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 25-10-20 at 09:05 AM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 10:10 AM   #753
labourRed
Shankly

Get ex players involved. These fellas by and large are all mates. There needs to be a separation of power. Theres poor Steve Finnan broke, I'm sure he'd know a good tackle from a foul, better than these ex chicken factory workers.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 11:01 AM   #754
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Get ex players involved. These fellas by and large are all mates. There needs to be a separation of power. Theres poor Steve Finnan broke, I'm sure he'd know a good tackle from a foul, better than these ex chicken factory workers.
No. Just mic the cunts up.

Just copy fuckin rugby
Old 25-10-20, 11:10 AM   #755
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
There has to be some explanation of the decision either the interaction of the officials as it is being made or by one of the officials after it has been made explaining it with the video. Because 3 of the last 4 major VAR calls made against us are baffling even after seeing them dozens of time since. Not explaining them does reputational damage to the game.

it literally is bringing the game into disrepute
Old 25-10-20, 11:13 AM   #756
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I was watching the Rugby yesterday and how clear the comms were between the Ref and the VAR officials backstage. I do think there are issues as to why this can't be replicated in football and I think abuse from the crowd is one, as well as the foul language of players surrounding the refs being picked up on live televsion, so I wonder whether these things are potentially impacting VAR in football in general maybe?

As someone has mentioned above, it would be great if everyone could hear the comms between officials, see repeats on screen in stadiums etc so that the correct decisions are being made - this would get fans on-side with Premier League imo.

Some of the decisions have been scary bad so far and I can't see it improving anytime soon.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 12:39 PM   #757
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post

As someone has mentioned above, it would be great if everyone could hear the comms between officials, see repeats on screen in stadiums etc so that the correct decisions are being made - this would get fans on-side with Premier League imo.

They're scared of something but I can't work out what
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 02:01 PM   #758
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

They're scared of transparency, and that is never a good sign. Basically, I think refs feel threatened by the use of VAR, and are in self protection mode. They are desperate to avoid any sense that the on-field ref made a mistake or misjudgement. They're happy for offside or or questions of was it in or outside the box, but anything to do with the interpretation or application of judgement about the rules is off the cards for the VAR ref. It's basically a referee mafia circling to protect what they regard as their interests, or like when the police were responsible for policing themselves.
Old 25-10-20, 02:44 PM   #759
Exiled_red
Paisley

I think that they should have had allowed a documentary on the behind the scenes of VAR showing the process that is involved so that we the fans but also players, pundits and everyone involved in the game know what is happening, what is possible and what the limitations are because we aren't even sure about that.

It's not a substitute for explaining every decision, but it would help with transparency because at the moment they have effectively told us that this is a magic system that gets decisions right, which clearly it isn't. It's the Brexit of football, it's a cluster fuck, we were promised lots of stuff, which isn't accurate, different to what was promised and those in charge are taking no responsibility and we look to be stuck with it.
Old 25-10-20, 02:46 PM   #760
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
They're scared of transparency, and that is never a good sign. Basically, I think refs feel threatened by the use of VAR, and are in self protection mode. They are desperate to avoid any sense that the on-field ref made a mistake or misjudgement. They're happy for offside or or questions of was it in or outside the box, but anything to do with the interpretation or application of judgement about the rules is off the cards for the VAR ref. It's basically a referee mafia circling to protect what they regard as their interests, or like when the police were responsible for policing themselves.

est1892 > Football > General Football