It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 01-12-20, 08:05 PM   #25641
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Wasn't it established long ago that the term Suarez used wasn't Negrito?
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 08:28 PM   #25642
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I thought so, yes.
Old 01-12-20, 08:41 PM   #25643
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Yeah, he used the word negro.

Old 01-12-20, 08:44 PM   #25644
Fivex
The Wisp

Del
Old 01-12-20, 08:49 PM   #25645
ChesterDave
Paisley

I genuinely can't remember the precise details from that long ago. When we say established do we mean confirmed or do we mean that is what the FA said he used?
Old 01-12-20, 10:02 PM   #25646
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
People in this country think it is. So has to be handled as if it is.

I dont know enough about the word or the people it offends to be able to say it isnt.
So, why does what some white little Englander thinks about another language matter? Twitter or Instagram or whatever he's posted it on is a worldwide platform. People are free to speak in their native languages aren't they?

In a funny way the over the top PC England reaction to this is a little bit racist in itself isn't it? You're basically saying your language and interpretation of other languages is more important than any others.

The people it offends are people who don't speak Spanish, and are literally translating it, which sums it all up. People have no fucking clue what they're getting upset about these days, they just love to whinge.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 10:26 PM   #25647
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
So, why does what some white little Englander thinks about another language matter? Twitter or Instagram or whatever he's posted it on is a worldwide platform. People are free to speak in their native languages aren't they?

In a funny way the over the top PC England reaction to this is a little bit racist in itself isn't it? You're basically saying your language and interpretation of other languages is more important than any others.

The people it offends are people who don't speak Spanish, and are literally translating it, which sums it all up. People have no fucking clue what they're getting upset about these days, they just love to whinge.
frank the tank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 10:27 PM   #25648
frank the tank
Shankly

remember when Father Ted did the presentation slides on how the Chinese community added to craggy island and finished it with Fr Ted / Not a Racist on repeat

That's what Man United should do........ edison Cavani.....not a racist....
Old 01-12-20, 11:04 PM   #25649
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

This is the position the FA have got themselves into through the little Englander / ignorance of other languages and cultures. The Suarez hearing concluded that there is no place for certain words on a football pitch regardless of context, and not wanting to go into the Suarez thing again but that is IMO a bad position to get yourself into, as context is everything, but that ruling has set a difficult precedent.
Old 02-12-20, 02:22 AM   #25650
Harv
Randy Marsh

The Suarez thing was a witch hunt plain and simple. He was never getting away with that and they made an example out of him. All context was ignored, Evra's role and insult used towards Suarez ignored.

The Cavani thing is even more absurd when you factor in the context. He's saying this to a friend and teammate FFS. Do they honestly think he's going to be using a derogatory term towards him? He's also not even black either

There's a candy here called 'Chico's' that they have now decided to rename because they're brown (chocolate flavour jelly babies basically) and apparently "Chico" can be construed to be a derogatory term. Whoever has decided this clearly has no clue on Spanish language as "Chico" is a term of endearment like buddy. Fuck, I used to call me ex "chica" FFS.

The world is truly starting to do my head in.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Old 02-12-20, 08:52 AM   #25651
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I don't see a correlation between Luis Suarez using Evra's skin colour in a derogatory way, intended to insult or provoke him and being sanctioned for it, with the choice to rename a chocolate confectionery item.

Let me guess, it's all PC gone mad.
Old 02-12-20, 08:57 AM   #25652
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
This is the position the FA have got themselves into through the little Englander / ignorance of other languages and cultures. The Suarez hearing concluded that there is no place for certain words on a football pitch regardless of context, and not wanting to go into the Suarez thing again but that is IMO a bad position to get yourself into, as context is everything, but that ruling has set a difficult precedent.
I get what you're saying, but I would be interested to hear of a footballing context where the word negro could be appropriately used. Anyone remember a time at work when they could have slipped it into a situation in an appropriate fashion.
Old 02-12-20, 09:13 AM   #25653
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I get what you're saying, but I would be interested to hear of a footballing context where the word negro could be appropriately used. Anyone remember a time at work when they could have slipped it into a situation in an appropriate fashion.
It's the Spanish word for black, so in a conversation between Spanish speaking players it's possible. It is the equivalent of saying anyone who uses the word "black" (in English) regardless of context has committed a race related offence, I think most people would consider that crazy. "Pass me that black tape/bottle/...", "That guy in the black hat/shirt..." not necessarily commonly used but again all kinds of things in this type of context

Last edited by Exiled_red; 02-12-20 at 09:19 AM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 09:43 AM   #25654
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Ok, fair enough amongst Spanish speakers when referencing black objects etc.. but in both if these instances, if was directed towards another person. In Suarez's case, he was found to have added black to his insults of Evra as an adjective, which the FA (and almost everyone else) view as racist abuse. Using Negrito as a noun is very different.

And let's be honest, the only reason the FA are bothering to look at the Cavani one is because of all the Liverpool fans hitting twitter because they fail to understand that distinction.
Old 02-12-20, 09:49 AM   #25655
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
I don't see a correlation between Luis Suarez using Evra's skin colour in a derogatory way, intended to insult or provoke him and being sanctioned for it, with the choice to rename a chocolate confectionery item.

Let me guess, it's all PC gone mad.
It's not that hard is it? For starters im speaking more about the Cavani incident than the Suarez one.

The correlation is you're taking 1 language and shoehorning your beliefs and ideals from another language and culture into it, completely ignoring any context or language structure. It's ridiculous and actually quite offensive that people think English is the default language everyone in the world should speak and from now on everything needs to translate directly into English in a nice and friendly PC way.

Old 02-12-20, 09:52 AM   #25656
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Yeah pretty fucking regularly if im speaking Spanish.

This is what im getting at. The world doesn't revolve around English speaking nations FFS.

Old 02-12-20, 10:16 AM   #25657
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Yeah pretty fucking regularly if im speaking Spanish.

This is what im getting at. The world doesn't revolve around English speaking nations FFS.
Sure, but irrespective of the spoken language, if you add black or the equivalent to insults, to a black person, you're being racist. "I called him a black bastard, but he never knew his father and he is black so it wasn't racist" doesn't wash, even if said in Spanish. It's true, interpreting language, particularly other languages and/or the mixing of languages is fraught with issues, so I think trying to understand intent is vital, ie I agree that context is key. Suarez was taunting an opposition player whist referencing his race and was rightly sanctioned for it, Cavani was trying to congratulate a mate.

I'm no fan of the policing of language over intent; some old dear uses the term coloured sincerely and gets hounded on social media for it, it's disgusting and unhelpful. Whereas talking about people with a funny tinge is more revealing of attitude.

Last edited by Kenneth; 02-12-20 at 10:21 AM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 10:30 AM   #25658
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Sure, but irrespective of the spoken language, if you add black or the equivalent to insults, to a black person, you're being racist. "I called him a black bastard, but he never knew his father and he is black so it wasn't racist" doesn't wash, even if said in Spanish. It's true, interpreting language, particularly other languages and/or the mixing of languages is fraught with issues, so I think trying to understand intent is vital, ie I agree that context is key. Suarez was taunting an opposition player whist referencing his race and was rightly sanctioned for it, Cavani was trying to congratulate a mate.

I'm no fan of the policing of language over intent; some old dear uses the term coloured sincerely and gets hounded on social media for it, it's disgusting and unhelpful. Whereas talking about people with a funny tinge is more revealing of attitude.
Agreed.

We're veering into analysing the Suarez vs Evra thing again here though. What they both said were as bad as each other. But only 1 got a ban. It was a witch-hunt and he was made an example of, rightly or wrongly.

My rant was started on the Cavani thing really. Its absolutely ludicrous to fine, ban or force him to apologise for what he's said, because there is simply nothing remotely offensive about it. Filthy Manc or not

Old 02-12-20, 10:36 AM   #25659
Exiled_red
Paisley

Obviously there are cases where black and other words regardless of the language can be used to cause offence, but there are cases where those words can be used in a completely innocent context. The conclusions after the Suarez case effectively said that there was a zero tolerance for certain words and concluded that context did not matter. It was highlighted by some at the time as not taking into account that such words could be used innocently in other languages or cultures, but the FA did not consider this.

As I said I think that this is a stupid ruling, but it set a precedent and that is the framework that the FA have to look at these incidents in. It looks to me that the FA have backed themselves into a corner and my interest in it is purely from that point of view as well as watching Man Utd fans make the arguments that that attacked our fans for making.

I am not defending Suarez or attacking Cavani. I am sure there will be some on our side expressing outrage that he doesn't get an 8 game ban which clearly isn't justified. As I have said on other subjects I just enjoy the FA jumping from one mess to another with the rulings and precedents that they set

Last edited by Exiled_red; 02-12-20 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 10:43 AM   #25660
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Where do you get that from? That wasn't the ruling as I remember it. Suarez said he would not to use the word negro on a football pitch again as part of his evidence, but where do you get this bit from?:
Quote:
The conclusions after the Suarez case effectively said that there was a zero tolerance for certain words and concluded that context did not matter
The FA report included the following:
Quote:
We received expert evidence as to the use of the word "negro" in Uruguay and other areas of Latin America. It is often used as a noun to address people, whether family, friends or passers-by, and is widely seen as inoffensive. However, its use can also be offensive. It depends on the context. It is inoffensive when its use implies a sense of rapport or the attempt to create such rapport. However, if it were used, for example, with a sneer, then it might carry negative connotations. The Spanish language experts told us that if Mr Suarez said the things that Mr Evra alleged, they would be considered racially offensive in Uruguay and other regions of Latin America (paragraphs 162 to 202 above).
They didn't just conclude word = bad = sanction.

I suspect you're referring to this section..

Quote:
Whether the words or behaviour are abusive or insulting is an objective matter; it does not depend on whether the alleged offender intended his words to be abusive or insulting
But I really don't think that supports your characterisation above. It's not talking about the use of a single word context free.

Last edited by Kenneth; 02-12-20 at 10:50 AM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 10:56 AM   #25661
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Where do you get that from? That wasn't the ruling as I remember it. Suarez agreed not to use the word negro on a football pitch as part of accepting his sanction, but where do you get this bit from?:
It's essentially from memory of the report and discussions at the time I haven't looked at any of it recently. But I remember the regardless of context part being mentioned a number of times. I remember a discussion myself and some mates I played football with had, one of the lads was a South American Spanish speaker (non-LFC fan) who brought up the effective banning of the Spanish word for black and how culturally ignorant and xenophobic it made the FA look.

As I say I haven't looked at it in years so perhaps I am wrong, have misremembered something or have inadvertently taken something out of context or believed the press reporting of the case itself but that was something that I took away at the time and I wasn't the only one.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 02-12-20 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 11:04 AM   #25662
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I think you can only be cautious around racism and be lead.

One incidence always springs to mind for me in the workplace about 5 years ago. The office I worked for a pretty big Fashion label was undergoing a lot of systems updates and regularly had all manner of people up visiting from London. Typically they would have a late taxi to the airport on a Friday afternoon.

There was a black woman who came up (I don't recall her name) but at the time she was the only black person within the office.

I was in my office chatting to a colleague when a Taxi driver popped his head round the door. He said he had to take the woman to the airport and he knew she had a flight to catch. She was in a meeting, and was in the basement so I said I'd phone down. He said he was to go down to help her with a case, so if we could describe her to him, he would go down and look for her......

Knowing the protocols around that description were a challenge.

"Err, I think she is wearing a red top".

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 01:05 PM   #25663
Cerbie
Souness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
That is what drives me crazy about this country, why is describing someone's colour considered a negative or unacceptable? I lived and worked in Trinidad for 3 years recently and they use whatever descriptor is easiest to pick someone out. I was the white guy one day and the grey haired man in a blue shirt the next. They use White, Black, Red, Indian, Latino and Chinese without prejudice.

Cavani has nothing to apologise for at all. Suarez was in all likelihood trying to provoke Evra or was at least biting back (sorry) at Evra's comment. It is in the past and we should leave it there and move on.
Old 02-12-20, 01:28 PM   #25664
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Haha, I think to be fair, saying “she is a black lady” is not racist, but if you said “she is a negrita” it would be...

The N-word (the bad N word, worse than negrita) is used non offensively in many instances- think Denzel Washington in Training day or Samuel L Jackson in most his movies... just because they’re using the word in a non offensive matter, doesn’t make it a non offensive word...

I don’t really care if cavani is banned or not- I think it was racist, but 100% accidental and he had good intentions- unlike Bernardo last year... his argument seemed to be that Mendy wasn’t offended (probably actually was), so no one else should be either...
Old 02-12-20, 02:26 PM   #25665
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbie View Post
That is what drives me crazy about this country, why is describing someone's colour considered a negative or unacceptable? I lived and worked in Trinidad for 3 years recently and they use whatever descriptor is easiest to pick someone out. I was the white guy one day and the grey haired man in a blue shirt the next. They use White, Black, Red, Indian, Latino and Chinese without prejudice.
Totally, it felt 100% appropriate to describe her this way, but, there was just that nagging doubt about using the colour of someones skin to be the defining factor.

From a practical POV it was 100% the most effective way to describe her.

As a country we have unresolved issues around racism, and I suppose until we have resolved them we will always have these areas of uncertainty.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 02:47 PM   #25666
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Totally, it felt 100% appropriate to describe her this way, but, there was just that nagging doubt about using the colour of someones skin to be the defining factor.

From a practical POV it was 100% the most effective way to describe her.

As a country we have unresolved issues around racism, and I suppose until we have resolved them we will always have these areas of uncertainty.
So did she make her flight then or did some Liverpool supporter get a free trip to the airport?
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 09:23 PM   #25667
McDermotX
Paisley

Hehehehe

Fred headbutt....gets yellow

Gotta love VAR.

Again.....Peter Walton gets his 'valuable input' wrong
Old 02-12-20, 09:33 PM   #25668
McDermotX
Paisley

Token jammy equaliser now as well. Standard shit here.
Old 02-12-20, 09:35 PM   #25669
Jas
Fagan

I’d say he got it right but the idiot reffing the game got it wrong
Jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 09:39 PM   #25670
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I’d say he got it right but the idiot reffing the game got it wrong

Suppose.....but he has a remarkable ability to call nearly every VAR consultation wrong. Should get a job at Stockley Park then ironically enough.

Fred stamps on player......other player gets yellow.
Old 02-12-20, 09:46 PM   #25671
Ams12
Dalglish

Marquinos looks like Curtis Jr but in 10 years time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ams12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 10:53 PM   #25672
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Got to avoid defeat away to RB Leipzig now or they're OUT!
Old 02-12-20, 11:35 PM   #25673
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

They're going out imo
Old 02-12-20, 11:37 PM   #25674
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Leipzig must be huge favourites tbf
Old 02-12-20, 11:39 PM   #25675
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Imagine winning away at PSG and pumping RBL 5-0 in your first two games only to end up in the European Farmers League
Old 02-12-20, 11:43 PM   #25676
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

It'll be glorious
Old 03-12-20, 02:52 AM   #25677
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Imagine winning away at PSG and pumping RBL 5-0 in your first two games only to end up in the European Farmers League

I think that they will actually get a result in Leipzig. But the pressure will be on alright......
Old 03-12-20, 05:15 AM   #25678
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

I think they’ll go through as well. They played well last night for large parts in an open game.
Old 03-12-20, 08:28 AM   #25679
RichC
Meh

Lump on them getting a pen
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 08:30 AM   #25680
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Well worth sticking £2 on the draw and away win to soften it

est1892 > Football > General Football