It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 02-07-14, 01:56 PM   #1
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

The Open Championship - Hoylake

starts in couple weeks.....and it's in my home town

i'm fortunate (as it stands ) to live about 500 yards from what will be the spectators entrance (from where i am i' can't quite see the golf course tho which is a blow)

it's a huge event for the area, last time it happened in 2006 it was a huge success and the place was bouncing.

So this year i've booked the Weds (last practice day) thurs/fri off work and ill be off saturday and i've managed to get a weeks pass for it -

can't wait, be able to just wake up and leisurely stroll down to the course, meet up with mates, get pissed and crawl home

Also - i've played royal liverpool hundresds of times, so it's great to see the pro's playing it up close.

Last edited by PTP; 02-07-14 at 02:00 PM.
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 02-07-14, 02:00 PM   #2
PTP

anyone else planning on going?
Old 02-07-14, 03:48 PM   #3
Liverpool
Paisley

Does your house/flat get free tickets for the disruption?
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 04:11 PM   #4
PTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
Does your house/flat get free tickets for the disruption?
ha unfortunately no - but i still have a few connections in the local golf world

plus - also just found out my 'mate' has qualified - fucking buzzing for him

i say mate, it's a lad i played with as a junior and knew him reasonably well - since i've stopped playing golf i've lost touch but i also say hello too and chat if i see him about - in fact i think last summer he was working in the pro shop of a local muni and i turned up with about 8 mates and he just let us on for free

So i've sent him a message via a good mate of his that i know better to say, if we are still in our flat and if he needs any storage etc to help him out during the week i can help him out. Ie - if he's got all his clubs/gear and i'd assume he'd be staying at home (iirc he lives about 5/6 miles away) if it's any help i can keep them safe at ours over night etc.
Old 02-07-14, 04:22 PM   #5
Liverpool
Paisley

No chance i'd trust you with my clubs during the open

I was tempted to go but not at 75 for a day ticket . I'd say 40/45 is the right price.
Old 02-07-14, 04:28 PM   #6
PTP

Quote:

I was tempted to go but not at 75 for a day ticket . I'd say 40/45 is the right price.
hahaha twat - na to be fair something like this i'd have them stored and locked away and not let anyone touch them

he might not want to but the offers there and i'm not looking for anything of him like tickets or anything - it is just a genuine offer to him in that if i can help him anyway i will cause it's such a fucking big thing for someone i knew as junior golfer and anything that takes any kind of pressure/worry of him and helps then great.

it might not be needed - but it might be a case of everyday he's got to travel from home with a suit, change of clothers, waterproofs, couple pairs of golf shoes, various equipment/sets of clubs/different putters etc -

it's alright for the top class pro's - they'll be in local (7k a week ) apartments and have PA's and the club manufacturers looking after it all for you.

it might just be a weight of his shoulders knowing he's got a secure room walking distance from the club.
Old 02-07-14, 04:57 PM   #7
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Quote:

Was considering going when it was in Lytham a couple of years back but couldn't justify the ticket prices.

JURGEN KLOPP - LIVERPOOL MANAGER

YNWA
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 04:00 PM   #8
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

I went last time. Really enjoyed it. Don't think I can make it this time though. Enjoy Mike
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 04:22 PM   #9
PTP

tho it does mean i can park - literally the town just gets shut down for any traffic other
than residents. So parking will be a big benefit.

Anyone planning on travelling i'd recommend getting the train from either Liverpool or on the wirral Bidston/Leasowe stations are on the same direct line to hoylake and have big car parks etc.

the only issue i have at the moment is if our landlord rents out the fucking place - bit frustrated by it all as he's not giving us a definate one way or other.

I know it's up on the 'market' to be rented for the week for.....7k!!!! Which if he gets an offer than fair enough he can't turn that down......and i'm sure he'd say to me and my flat mate, have a month or so free rent which would be sound...

however...right now....it is in no fit state to be able to rent out, certainly not for 7k.

For starters you'd have all our stuff to be moved. TV's, clothes, i'd want our sky/broadband 'disconnected'

on top of that, there is loads of work that would need doing - we'd need at least 3 rooms to be re-carpeted/painted - plus loads of other jobs like beading coming away, we have spot lights throughout the apartment that were cheaply done so some of them no longer work and would need rewiring etc etc

i'd say - there is prob a couple grand needed to be spent on it to get into "7k" status and at least 1 to 2 weeks worth of work needed.

And i know for a fact there are at least 10 other properties in by us that are available for the same fee that are all brand new renovations and ready to go.

we've got 10 days till the first practice day and no real movement or hints of movement so fingers crossed nothing happens and i'm there for the week

if so i reckon my flat could be compare party central
Old 02-07-14, 05:03 PM   #10
PTP

going from memory

you have something like

Sunday 13th - first practice day - only 10, might not be much goin on but me and my mates are going to wander off and have a look

mon 14th - praccy day 25
tues 15th - praccy day 30
weds 16th - praccy day 40

but yeah the jump up to 75 a day for the the thurs through to sunday is steep.

especially if u have to factor in travel costs and the food/drink is extortionate. I'll be sneaking on the course during the night next week and burying a crate of carling somewhere ;-)
Old 02-07-14, 06:28 PM   #11
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post

especially if u have to factor in travel costs and the food/drink is extortionate. I'll be sneaking on the course during the night next week and burying a crate of carling somewhere ;-)
Your pals bag is going to be weighing a ton
Old 03-07-14, 02:38 PM   #12
PTP

my mate is 500/1 to win

Faldo is 1000/1

Old 13-07-14, 07:21 PM   #13
PTP

I'm posses

Pissed

Great first day in the own....watch tiger for a few holes and mmhy mate for a coiple

Quality
Old 13-07-14, 07:34 PM   #14
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
I'm posses

Pissed

Great first day in the own....watch tiger for a few holes and mmhy mate for a coiple

Quality
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-14, 08:00 PM   #15
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
I'm posses

Pissed

Quality
giggles its gonna be a long day tomorrow
Old 14-07-14, 09:52 AM   #16
PTP

oooof it is

dragged myself up this morning.

forgot that my road is closed due to the golf - took me about 20 mins to navigate round cones some police clown had put across our drive, plus various stop signs, road closed signs and one way signs etc until eventually i managed to get to the main road.

sun is shining - i've got a ticket sitting there for the golf - and i've had to come to work

could easily have had a nice lie in, then head back to the course.

have to say though - what a day - the open has gone up and up in quality......this year they have a proper bar for the public - it is that nice that i thought we'd blagged our way into a corporate area - it's a Stella bar, (hence my little drunkeness yesterday having been on the wife beater) but they had made an effort. two floors, balcony, nice furniture etc. Better than the usual tent and sit on the floor.
Old 14-07-14, 10:02 AM   #17
PTP

here are a few pics....

Tiger walking down the 1st

attempt at a tiger selfie with clubhouse in background

Old 14-07-14, 10:03 AM   #18
PTP

couple of the lad i know

Old 14-07-14, 10:05 AM   #19
PTP

like this picture - tiger putting, with a great view of the sea/hilbre island and then wales in the background

Old 14-07-14, 04:08 PM   #20
Liverpool
Paisley

Was there many big names there yesterday? Would have gone, only a tenner
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 14-07-14, 04:25 PM   #21
PTP

yeah - i saw

tiger woods with matt kuchar
faldo
westwood apparently went out about 4pm
kj choi
poulter
stenson
adam scott

saw all the above except westwood

seriously for a tenner it would have been the best day to go - it was busy but not rammed - it's all about a bit of luck of who might go out and at what time, - but for example by chance i was standing by the 1st tee when tiger went out....and i was able to follow him for four or five holes no issue - say prob only about 1000 people watching him.....compared to 10x that amount on the championship days,
Old 14-07-14, 05:00 PM   #22
Liverpool
Paisley

Is Hoylake the one where its possible to bunk on from the beach? I cant remember which Open it was, but loads of undesirables scals north faced up got on and were causing mayhem/ as well as absolutely being in awe of the some golf.
Old 14-07-14, 08:16 PM   #23
PTP

Possibly....the beach runs along the the 11th/12th....however I have a feeling this year it's well blocked off haha

I've got a ticket for the week, well it's supposed to be between my and my sister....who has fucking no interest in golf....and she's just informed me she wants the ticket thurs/fri......and then asks if I can lend her husband 75 to pay for him to get a ticket Friday as well as lend them so money for food/drinks

Can see this ending in tears, and they won't be mine when I physically have the ticket and the money haha

Anyway I think I've worked out a system for us all to get in haha
Old 14-07-14, 09:27 PM   #24
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Great pics and posts Puttupuh
Old 14-07-14, 10:03 PM   #25
PTP

I'll do a daily update

Not going tomoz

Wednesday I'm going early for the last practice day, up until about midday as I then have to go to a wedding at 2pm

Thurs/frid should be there all day, depending on what happens with my sister/my ticket scam haha.....will spend one day just watching my mate all way round and then one day jumping from various groups

Saturday....I am just going to get fucking bladdered and spend all day in the tented village haha

Sunday...planning on getting to the 18th early and watching everyone come in
Old 15-07-14, 08:08 AM   #26
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Nice one mate, some good pics there. I actually prefer the practice days. You can get closer and you also see them relaxed and trying out some different shots.
Old 15-07-14, 10:42 AM   #27
Chazza
Des Lynam

Lost 9 inches around his gut by hitting the weights and switching from Guiness to Gin and tonic.

Last edited by Chazza; 15-07-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 15-07-14, 11:04 PM   #28
PTP

Not been today but got a couple stories for you.....
Old 15-07-14, 11:06 PM   #29
PTP

1) gutted ...fucking fuming haha.....my mate has been paired with john daly and Dustin Johnson for Wednesday practice session... I am off work Wednesday...so I am going in the morning....but have to leave at latest 12pm to go to a wedding at 1pm about 10 miles away....

My mate tees off at 1pm...gutted!
Old 15-07-14, 11:18 PM   #30
PTP

2) this has cheered me up tho

Last time the open was here the rumours were rife and the nobheads (mainly female) were in full force with things like...

George clooney is in the ship inn

Robbie Williams is in the wetherspoons

Samuel l Jackson is in sainsburys

Now I lived here a long time and I know a hell of a lot of people and I'm yet to meet anyone who actually saw these celebs themselves

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are celebs about but my god does it go bonkers here over it for some reason

So on Sunday...the first practice day...me and my flat mate thought we'd get in there early and start a rumour.

We discussed what celeb over a pint and settled on Daniel Craig....why, well it's a few at choice...he is actually from hoylake and his mum lives here.

So he puts it on Facebook...just seen Daniel Craig in the green lodge.

I mention it in passing to a couple of people we know

He mentions it to his girlfriend.

And that was that (we then realised that Daniel Craig was at the World Cup final :haha/ which added even more to our little prank)

I kid you not today...one of the local bars, probably the main bar in hoylake, and we know them pretty well have posted a Facebook message...get down to hoylake for some celeb spotting this week, Daniel Craig already been seen

It has nearly 200 likes and loads and loads of girls commenting....going to hoylake every day....let's get there now etc etc

On top of that....I've seen quite a few people saying Daniel Craig was spotted in the lodge etc etc

No one has actually seen him mind.....no pics anywhere of him....just the one original mention by me and my mare on Sunday hahaha

Never underestimate the unpredictability of stupidity
Old 16-07-14, 03:56 PM   #31
Liverpool
Paisley

whats the ticket/pass situation mike? Last time it was Hoylake I had 3 season tickets i'd walk in with 2 mates, back straight back out again with all 3 tickets then back in with 2 more. Is that still possible?
Old 16-07-14, 03:57 PM   #32
Liverpool
Paisley

Impossible to find cheap tickets on twitter, open and ticket but the best two words to be searching for
Old 17-07-14, 11:05 AM   #33
PTP

Quote:
whats the ticket/pass situation mike? Last time it was Hoylake I had 3 season tickets i'd walk in with 2 mates, back straight back out again with all 3 tickets then back in with 2 more. Is that still possible?
Right....this how it works

Walk in with your ticket and it's scanned

If you walk out, you get a wrist band and u just show your ticket (they don't scan them tho)

On reentry you need to show them your wristband and the ticket (they don't scan)

So basically two of you with tickets need to walk in....then both of you walk out with your tickets and get a wristband.

You then re enter.

Then one of you will have to carefully cut the wristband off. Then whoever is still wearing the wristband, walks out with the spare ticket and wristband in their pocket.

Meet your mate, and find a way to attach the wrist band back on.

Then both of you just walk back in with wristbands and show your ticket

Simple

Old 17-07-14, 04:13 PM   #34
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Right...
Alot tighter than last time. I was thinking of heading up tomorrow after work get there for 3.30 and buy a ticket off someone who is getting off. Im sure loads will what with the 6am start, or got somewhere else to be. But the wristband thing sounds a bit tricky.
Old 16-07-14, 10:05 PM   #35
Chazza
Des Lynam

Oh PTP

Quote:
A man apparently attempted to drive a golf buggy out of the Royal Liverpool Golf Club's gates, as the world's top golfers prepared for the Open at Hoylake.

A police source confirmed that a man had been arrested after an incident at the well-known golf championship, outside Gate Four of the site.

Pictures of the buggy, owned by tournament organisers the Royal & Ancient, appeared on social media, apparently showing it crashed onto a banking outside the gate.

Johnnie Cole-Hamilton, executive director of championships at the R&A, said: "Police are now investigating and I cannot say any more at this time."
Old 17-07-14, 12:19 PM   #36
Harv
Randy Marsh

Good to see Rickie Fowler has finally untucked his ears from his cap.

Someone must have finally told him he looked like a cunt with them tucked.

What sane person thinks its a good fucking idea to tuck your fucking ears into your cap FFS!!!

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-14, 01:40 PM   #37
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Looks piss easy out there in these conditions. I'd probably shoot par.
Old 17-07-14, 01:47 PM   #38
Assassin
Kloppite

Stenson is in fine form. Drove into deep rough on the 15th (I think) tried to play out the wedge turned over and the ball went a little further along in the deep stuff. He played the shot and as he was walking towards the green he just snapped the wedge over his thigh and calmly handed the two pieces to his caddie
Old 17-07-14, 11:14 PM   #39
PTP

What a dukinf day that was...on e of the bets days are he golf ever

Few stories

One...John singo, walking of the 13 green sees me and gives us a thumbs up and a hello billo

Two...some guys went nuts and were calling everyone cunts..old men, women and children...so I stood up on my tod and fol them to wind their necks in.. They tried to kick off...I laughed the got saman enhanced the security

After that got drunk
more

Bumped into Jeremy gistcotr and had a bit of dance and laugh with him....got a crackin vide till his mate kicked off for me filming hahah.. But good blokek

Man fucked
Old 17-07-14, 11:17 PM   #40
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

est1892 > General > General Sports