It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 24-09-19, 08:41 PM   #4961
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

You can see why city have won this 4 of last 6 years. Look at their front 4 tonight. Thats the advantage of a bigger squad.

We have to rest our front 3, just there are no direct replacements for them.
Old 25-09-19, 07:15 AM   #4962
rudedog
Pig hater

If Mendy was caucasian and the baby logo Silva used was also caucasian would people be making a big deal out of this?
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 07:56 AM   #4963
ChesterDave
Paisley

Most likely no.
Old 25-09-19, 08:00 AM   #4964
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
If Mendy was caucasian and the baby logo Silva used was also caucasian would people be making a big deal out of this?
Of course not.

Because it wouldn't have been a case of racial stereotyping of a minority group by a member of the majority ethnic group.

It would have been the same if he'd compared an Asian player to say Apu from The Simpsons, or an Asian player to an Asian carton character.

But it would not have been the same if another black person had compared Mendy to the character (how likely do you think that might be?).

It wasn't malicious. It wasn't Suarez vs Evra. It wasn't Beardsley on the training ground. Nor anywhere near the scale of black players are getting in Italy right now.

But it stopped being a private joke the minute he posted it on social media, which in turn helps to normalise this kinda thing.
Old 25-09-19, 08:20 AM   #4965
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
Seem to remember a wave of social media twats getting offended by that product's image a few years ago, chocolate coated peanuts IIRC, until it was pointed out that the white chocolate version features a white version of the same figure.
Fully expect the same backlash/post deletes etc etc
This twitter thread might tell you why the image is actually offensive.

Read it and see if a backlash is justified.

Old 25-09-19, 08:52 AM   #4966
vlahka
Still sulking...

That confuses me. Isnt an african tribesman an actual thing though? Thats how they were, and in some areas still are, before they started getting westernized. Why is this seen as a negative? The Australian aboriginals for example prefer being shown in a similar way with body paint etc.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 08:59 AM   #4967
dom9
Ant Pisser

Good grief
Old 25-09-19, 09:07 AM   #4968
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlahka View Post
That confuses me. Isnt an african tribesman an actual thing though? Thats how they were, and in some areas still are, before they started getting westernized. Why is this seen as a negative? The Australian aboriginals for example prefer being shown in a similar way with body paint etc.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 11:53 AM   #4969
vlahka
Still sulking...

I think you're taking my question the wrong way.
Old 25-09-19, 12:26 PM   #4970
Scratch
If you fail once....

I'd be quite interested to hear Sterling's take on this, as someone who has been quite outspoken on the issue of racism within football. If he condemns it, he risks alienating teammates, but if he glosses over it then he could be accused of hypocrisy.

Which is probably why I haven't noticed anything from him, to be fair. Catch 22 and all that.
Old 25-09-19, 12:44 PM   #4971
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Think about it though!

The snacks arent actually made by small Africans from Congo, who decided to come up with a cute name and brand to sell their chocolatey snacks in Spain.

The packaging product and design all come from Spain. They have designed a small chocolate snack and linked it to a small Congolese tribesman in name and design.

It’s definitely racist.

The fact that Mendy took no issue isn’t even really the point, of anything it almost makes it worse. As soon as the joke went public it became public.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 12:54 PM   #4972
vlahka
Still sulking...

Oh yes, I understand and see the logic in that. I probably should have been more specific as I was wondering about the actual look of the tribesman, not actually the chocolate itself. But yes, ignore my poorly executed question since your reply does answer some of it.
Old 25-09-19, 01:01 PM   #4973
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Oh yes, I understand and see the logic in that. I probably should have been more specific as I was wondering about the actual look of the tribesman, not actually the chocolate itself. But yes, ignore my poorly executed question since your reply does answer some of it.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 01:52 PM   #4974
Maxiedge
Shankly

Who the f*ck does Bernardo Silva think he is??

Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 01:57 PM   #4975
Sus
Evans

Quote:
I didn't know the history either till I saw that tweet thread

Last edited by Sus; 25-09-19 at 01:59 PM.
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 02:00 PM   #4976
The_weatherman
Smug

Deulofeu completed 13 passes against City, 8 of them were from kick offs
Old 25-09-19, 02:09 PM   #4977
Pepe79
Dalglish

Remember an almost identical heat map for Roberto Soldado after we beat Spurs 5-0 at their place.

Except I don't think he had nearly as many touches in the other areas of the pitch.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-19, 01:37 PM   #4978
Yozza
Shankly

Anyone read over the weekend that Giovanni van Bronckhorst is being lined up to replace him….?

Pep Guardiola says he does not know why Manchester City fans appear to favour the Premier League over the Champions League.

Asked why the competitions are not enjoyed equally, like at Liverpool or Manchester United, he said: "That is reality of our club.

"We have to seduce them so they realise how important.

"For the older generation they were not there.

"In Liverpool and United they used to be there for decades. It is in the culture of the club. We are making steps."

Pep Guardiola's comments about Manchester City and the Champions League are underlined by the knowledge that tomorrow's game against Dynamo Zagreb at the Etihad Stadium is not sold out even though ticket prices for adult non-members start at £20.

Just bizarre how they don't seem to care about it - at least until after the group stages...

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-19, 02:08 PM   #4979
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Anyone read over the weekend that Giovanni van Bronckhorst is being lined up to replace him….?

Pep Guardiola says he does not know why Manchester City fans appear to favour the Premier League over the Champions League.

Asked why the competitions are not enjoyed equally, like at Liverpool or Manchester United, he said: "That is reality of our club.

"We have to seduce them so they realise how important.

"For the older generation they were not there.

"In Liverpool and United they used to be there for decades. It is in the culture of the club. We are making steps."

Pep Guardiola's comments about Manchester City and the Champions League are underlined by the knowledge that tomorrow's game against Dynamo Zagreb at the Etihad Stadium is not sold out even though ticket prices for adult non-members start at £20.

Just bizarre how they don't seem to care about it - at least until after the group stages
Of course they care. They are like a kid losing at Sports Day, "I don't care, sure I wasn't even trying".

Go back and watch a replay of that Sterling disallowed goal and tell me they don't care. (and post it on here as it was hilarious ).
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-19, 02:16 PM   #4980
BigChief
Paisley

Love it how Pep is calling them a nothing small club without using the actual words. Entice the fans...
Old 30-09-19, 08:25 PM   #4981
Cormack74
Shankly

Given I don't live in Manchester but I can only think of 3 City fans that I know, they range in age from 47 to 76.

I can't even ever recall chatting casually to someone about football and finding out they're fans of the club.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 09:19 PM   #4982
Irishnev
Shankly

Rumours he had a set back and out for the season

Last edited by Irishnev; 01-10-19 at 10:46 PM.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 09:29 PM   #4983
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
https://twitter.com/city_xtra/status...00602854526983

Rumours he had a set back and pit for the season
just got a cold apparently
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 10:29 PM   #4984
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Please be true
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 01:05 AM   #4985
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Please be true
Doesn't seem to be affecting them much though.
Old 02-10-19, 04:41 AM   #4986
Nicey
Paisley

John Barnes as always speak so much sense on this matter.
Old 02-10-19, 07:01 AM   #4987
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

I completely agree with the TalkSport presenters in term of the Silva/Mendy thing tbh.

It's NOT a cartoon based purely on a likeness of Mendy, so that line of argument is totally irrelevant. It's a generic black cartoon character reinforcing well worn tropes that have been had the effect of de-individualising/de-humanising black people. There's a different and interesting conversation to be had about caricature etc but that is not what this is about.

The "why are big lips offensive" line doesn't hold either. It's the reductive nature of such depictions and their use that is offensive, not the specifics of the features they depict.
Old 02-10-19, 07:55 AM   #4988
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicey View Post
John Barnes: Why Bernardo Silva's tweet about Benjamin Mendy is not racist - YouTube

John Barnes as always speak so much sense on this matter.
An alternative view.

https://theathletic.com/1227429/2019...-educating-him

Barnes says society must be educated, but who is educating him?
Old 02-10-19, 08:31 AM   #4989
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
I completely agree with the TalkSport presenters in term of the Silva/Mendy thing tbh.

It's NOT a cartoon based purely on a likeness of Mendy, so that line of argument is totally irrelevant. It's a generic black cartoon character reinforcing well worn tropes that have been had the effect of de-individualising/de-humanising black people. There's a different and interesting conversation to be had about caricature etc but that is not what this is about.

The "why are big lips offensive" line doesn't hold either. It's the reductive nature of such depictions and their use that is offensive, not the specifics of the features they depict.
Yep. Barnes has twisted himself right up there. Completely wrong.

And no disrespect meant to Nicey when I say the words "John", "Barnes" and "always speaks so much sense on racism" are rarely seen apart these days - it's become a cliché.
Old 02-10-19, 10:26 AM   #4990
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 02-10-19, 11:24 AM   #4992
Maxiedge
Shankly

They're absolutely obsessed with us on Bluemoon. A Liverpool match thread will create 50 pages. Never seen anything like it.
Old 02-10-19, 11:36 AM   #4993
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
They're absolutely obsessed with us on Bluemoon. A Liverpool match thread will create 50 pages. Never seen anything like it.
What's the prevailing viewpoint?
Old 02-10-19, 11:40 AM   #4994
Alex
Administrator

Fear probably. I didnt care much for City until they became our direct rivals.
Old 02-10-19, 11:49 AM   #4995
Maxiedge
Shankly

I thought it was common knowledge? They absolutely despise us. Pretty much started when we knocked them out in the CL. The hate is on another level than any other team by a mile. They have become incredibly bitter and believe that the FA and UEFA are conspiring against them whilst giving us a leg up to win the league. There is absolutely no admittance to anything good we ever do and it's all based on luck and conspiracies. There might be one complimentary post lost in the hundreds of pages but you'd be lucky to find it.

It's actually quite an unhealthy obsession.

So the Silva thing has now become a conspiracy for FA to ban him against Liverpool
Old 02-10-19, 11:58 AM   #4996
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
I thought it was common knowledge? They absolutely despise us. Pretty much started when we knocked them out in the CL. The hate is on another level than any other team by a mile. They have become incredibly bitter and believe that the FA and UEFA are conspiring against them whilst giving us a leg up to win the league. There is absolutely no admittance to anything good we ever do and it's all based on luck and conspiracies. There might be one complimentary post lost in the hundreds of pages but you'd be lucky to find it.

So the Silva thing has now become a conspiracy for FA to ban him against Liverpool
You're absolutely spot on

The $ity fans in the office spent more time ranting how lucky we were against Sheff Utd than talking about themselves beating Everton... shit keeper etc etc

And VAR is all part of a conspiracy out to get them & has cost them points already...

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 12:03 PM   #4997
dom9
Ant Pisser

Ha - ah well.
Old 02-10-19, 12:31 PM   #4998
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:

In short a £ity forum full of Chris clones
Old 02-10-19, 12:41 PM   #4999
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
In short a £ity forum full of Chris clones
Too many Chris' spoil the forum and all that...
Old 02-10-19, 01:36 PM   #5000
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Their thread on the Liverpool "hacking" scandal is a riveting read. If you ever need an example of how one persons "what-if" post can become factual and the basis of many diatribes against Liverpool, there are examples galore in that one thread.

est1892 > Football > General Football