It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 28-07-20, 11:38 PM   #1
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Players on the Move?

So obviously there's been rumours we are not intending to spend given the current climate. Or if we do it'll be low key. Below are some squad players that have already or may be due to leave this summer.

Lovren - Gone

Lallana - Gone

Wilson - to stay or go?

Grujic - to stay or go?

Shaq - to stay or go?

Karius- to stay or go?

Origi - to stay or go?

Please feel free to add.

If they all left that's 3/4 decent squad player's required to replace them. I guess Jones, Williams and Brewster could be called upon to fill the void with Elliott as the 4th. The fact that 3 of the 4 have been integrated in a lot more since lockdown and the performance levels suggests they'll see more game time. Which is great.

But does anyone feel its a gamble replacing experience and decent talent with kids? Or do you think one or two more established players will come in? Or do you hope we bring in players but are concerned we won't?

I'm a little concerned myself and if we don't bring player's in I think its a massive opportunity missed to capitalise on our last 2 seasons. But I would also fully understand any reluctance on the clubs behalf as the pandemic isn't going away anytime soon. Heart vs Head. I also have massive faith in Klopp obviously.

It's also extremely early and I'm not panicking/fretting/getting annoyed at this stage. Just wondered what people's thoughts were now and maybe come back in 6 weeks to see where we are then.

Champions.....still sounds good saying it. Maybe just null and void football altogether. We could remain Premier League & Champions League winners for eternity! Rugby anybody?
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 29-07-20, 04:23 AM   #2
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
So obviously there's been rumours we are not intending to spend given the current climate. Or if we do it'll be low key. Below are some squad players that have already or may be due to leave this summer.

Lovren - Gone

Lallana - Gone

Wilson - to stay or go?

Grujic - to stay or go?

Shaq - to stay or go?

Karius- to stay or go?

Origi - to stay or go?

Please feel free to add.

If they all left that's 3/4 decent squad player's required to replace them. I guess Jones, Williams and Brewster could be called upon to fill the void with Elliott as the 4th. The fact that 3 of the 4 have been integrated in a lot more since lockdown and the performance levels suggests they'll see more game time. Which is great.

But does anyone feel its a gamble replacing experience and decent talent with kids? Or do you think one or two more established players will come in? Or do you hope we bring in players but are concerned we won't?

I'm a little concerned myself and if we don't bring player's in I think its a massive opportunity missed to capitalise on our last 2 seasons. But I would also fully understand any reluctance on the clubs behalf as the pandemic isn't going away anytime soon. Heart vs Head. I also have massive faith in Klopp obviously.

It's also extremely early and I'm not panicking/fretting/getting annoyed at this stage. Just wondered what people's thoughts were now and maybe come back in 6 weeks to see where we are then.

Champions.....still sounds good saying it. Maybe just null and void football altogether. We could remain Premier League & Champions League winners for eternity! Rugby anybody?
I'm not thinking anything if I'm honest. We won the league, we're still celebrating.

The window has been extended and the top tier players are still in the CL so don't expect much to happen any time soon.
Old 29-07-20, 08:02 AM   #3
Exiled_red
Paisley

I posted in the transfer thread that we have an experienced squad of 17 (if we exclude the players rumoured that it has been suggested that might be leaving):

GK: Alisson, Adrian
Defenders: VVD, Gomez, Matip, TAA, Robertson
Midfielders: Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita, Henderson, Ox
Forwards: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino

Plus Williams, Jones, Brewster and Elliott who are the youngsters that you would expect to be involved, they are still raw and despite a handful of appearances (mostly from the bench) they haven't really been tested yet so I would be concerned about relying on them too much. Personally I would like a squad of about 20 plus these guys.

In regards people leaving, I think Shaqiri wants out and I don't see a place for Karius, so I think that both will go one way or another. The others I would be tempted to keep if we aren't doing much business in terms of incoming transfers. It's going to be a compact season so we need to have a big squad.

While only Origi has experience playing first team football for us, Wilson has PL experience and Grujic has experience in other leagues, a few more experienced players would be useful. Also I don't see this summer being a particularly good time to sell, it will be a fairly short window and clubs might be reluctant to spend IIRC all three are on relatively long contracts so I don't see their value dropping much over a year, we get extra players, they get a chance to test themselves at the top level, I think it makes sense.
Old 29-07-20, 08:15 AM   #4
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post

Lovren - Gone

Lallana - Gone

Wilson - to stay or go?

Grujic - to stay or go?

Shaq - to stay or go?

Karius- to stay or go?

Origi - to stay or go?

Please feel free to add.

I actually think all of the above players will go and Origi would be the only one I’m not convinced will go.

Adrian is another one as there has been rumors he may go back to Betis as first choice. Gini’s contract situation is also an issue - I don’t think we let him leave on a free next summer so I suspect if he doesn’t sign he will be sold.

I think we need:

- Back up LB

Milner and Neco (as a LB) just not good enough for me, we lose too much when Robbo is out

- Another CB

I didn’t mention 4th choice, bring in another and let him fight to partner VVD. I think both Matip and Gomez are excellent when fit and firing but Matip has shown he is v injury prone and Gomez’s form has been a worry

- Midfielder

If Gini goes.....would love Thiago but don’t see us buying him unless Gini leaves. I think Fab, Gini, Hendo, Ox, Naby, Milner and Jones is enough there

- Attacker

I hope Taki will kick in and be back up to Bobby but we need a quality alternative to Mo and Sadio. That is why Sancho would have been perfect as a rotation option across the front. We can’t rely on them maintaining fitness and form whilst playing every game at ridiculous intensity

Depending on the quality of the player that will cost a few quid so hard to know if it’s possible. I’ve just assumed Jones and Neco will get more time and Elliot will start to get even more integrated into the squad.

LB - circa 20m
CB - circa 30m
FW - circa 40m

If we were to sell the lads above we may generate the bulk of it and with Lovren, Lallana and Clyne gone we free up a lot of wages
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 11:23 AM   #5
The_weatherman
Smug

With Lallana gone and Milner not having much left, I reckon the club will be trying to promote Jones and Brewster with the home grown rules in mind. If Origi leaves Brewster might replace him with Minamino as well. Jones for Lallana is obvious, Elliot will play a very small part this season. I don't think we'll sell Gini, rather let him leave on a free.

Honestly, we don't need much, someone like Thiago would be interesting but we are well stocked, this season might get cancelled early or have no attendance until next year so I hope we don't take any chances really.
Old 29-07-20, 11:33 AM   #6
Pepe79
Dalglish

Jim Boardman (Liverpool journo/podcaster) says Derek Original has moved out of his Liverpool apartment. Doesn’t rule out the possibility that he’s just changing accommodation though.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 11:50 AM   #7
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Jim Boardman (Liverpool journo/podcaster) says Derek Original has moved out of his Liverpool apartment. Doesnt rule out the possibility that hes just changing accommodation though.
covering all bases there then
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 11:55 AM   #8
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
With Lallana gone and Milner not having much left, I reckon the club will be trying to promote Jones and Brewster with the home grown rules in mind. If Origi leaves Brewster might replace him with Minamino as well. Jones for Lallana is obvious, Elliot will play a very small part this season. I don't think we'll sell Gini, rather let him leave on a free.

Honestly, we don't need much, someone like Thiago would be interesting but we are well stocked, this season might get cancelled early or have no attendance until next year so I hope we don't take any chances really.
I don't think the homegrown rules are something we need to worry about, we are allowed upto 17 players who weren't trained in England

By my reckoning we have Alisson, Adrian, VVD, Matip, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino, that's only 12, add Origi and Shaqiri and we would still have 3 free spaces

TAA, Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Ox all count as homegrown (as would Wilson if he stays), Williams, Jones, Brewster, Elliott etc are under 21 so wouldn't need to be registered in the main squad.

I still think that is a fairly small (senior) squad, As promising as Williams, Jones and Brewster look I wouldn't want to have to rely on them for large chunks of the season, particularly in a year where the fixtures will be so densely packed, we will probably pick up more injuries than normal and those injuries will probably result in players missing more games (because the games are so tightly packed).

Last edited by Exiled_red; 29-07-20 at 11:59 AM.
Exiled_red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 12:02 PM   #9
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
covering all bases there then
Hes not really covering anything. He said definitively that Origi has moved out. Hes just not pretending to know how significant it is.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 01:38 PM   #10
Montana
Fagan

If Shaq and Origi both leave, I can definitely see us bringing in a quality forward who's versatile to back up the front three alongside Taki, Brewster and Elliott. When stretched I can see Jones and Ox getting opportunities out wide.

Not sure who we might get ..... Ismaila Sarr? Dembele on loan maybe?

We'd certainly need cover at LB and a replacement for Lovren. Maybe one player could be signed to cover both.

We have some decent CB options for the future like Hoever, Koumetio, R.Williams, Van den Berg etc. but it would be very risky to rely on kids at CB for next season.

It's right the club are taking things cautiously for now as there's a high chance no fans will be in stadiums until next year and also the small chance remains that the new season could be abandoned/curtailed if there is a strong 2nd covid wave.

I wouldn't be surprised be if there's a new breakout youngster next season who comes into the squad unexpectedly .... Glatzel, Clarkson, O'Rourke, Stewart etc.

We'd potentially have the following players for sale but will be difficult to get decent fees in this window so probably most if not all will be loaned out again:

Wilson (would consider keeping as squad back-up)
Grujic (would consider keeping as squad back-up)
Karius
Awonyiyi
Phillips
Ojo
Ejaria
Grabara
Woodburn
Kane
Millar
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 01:51 PM   #11
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

I can't see us letting too many leave. Lallana and Lovren have already gone. I would imagine Klopp wouldn't want too much upheaval to be honest, especially with the uncertainty of buying players in this market.
Pablo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 02:00 PM   #12
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
If Shaq and Origi both leave, I can definitely see us bringing in a quality forward who's versatile to back up the front three alongside Taki, Brewster and Elliott. When stretched I can see Jones and Ox getting opportunities out wide.

Not sure who we might get ..... Ismaila Sarr? Dembele on loan maybe?

We'd certainly need cover at LB and a replacement for Lovren. Maybe one player could be signed to cover both.

We have some decent CB options for the future like Hoever, Koumetio, R.Williams, Van den Berg etc. but it would be very risky to rely on kids at CB for next season.

It's right the club are taking things cautiously for now as there's a high chance no fans will be in stadiums until next year and also the small chance remains that the new season could be abandoned/curtailed if there is a strong 2nd covid wave.

I wouldn't be surprised be if there's a new breakout youngster next season who comes into the squad unexpectedly .... Glatzel, Clarkson, O'Rourke, Stewart etc.

We'd potentially have the following players for sale but will be difficult to get decent fees in this window so probably most if not all will be loaned out again:

Wilson (would consider keeping as squad back-up)
Grujic (would consider keeping as squad back-up)
Karius
Awonyiyi
Phillips
Ojo
Ejaria
Grabara
Woodburn
Kane
Millar
Sarr looks promising, and seems to be good mates with Mane, not sure if there is anything in that or if it's lazy journalism. To be honest as good a player as he may be would we really look to bring in a 3rd forward who would be away for the Africa Cup of Nations?

The players out on loan that you have listed, I can't see anyone other that Grujic and Wilson being even close to being a squad player, I would keep those two as options. Woodburn looked promising a few years ago but doesn't seem to have progressed at all. Ejaria, Ojo and Phillips are all about 22 or 23 now and don't look close to our squad so probably time to see what we can get for them.

We definitely need to bring in another CB as Hoever and van den Berg aren't ready to be 4th choice with the number of games Lovren was playing last year.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC