It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 05-04-14, 01:23 PM   #6041
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Why would Chelsea spend £50m on a player with a chronic knee injury that was so severe 'he'd be finished within three years'
Maybe Chelsea's medical team weren't as astute as Liverpools, who knows?.

But there's no denying that Torres has never been the same since those 2 knee injuries in 2010.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 11:13 AM   #6042
jono
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Maybe Chelsea's medical team weren't as astute as Liverpools, who knows?.

But there's no denying that Torres has never been the same since those 2 knee injuries in 2010.
I think this story has been doing the rounds for some time. Allegedly Abramovich was keen to get Torres come hell or high water so the push came from him to make sure he was a Chelsea player regardless of how the medical panned out.

Apparently the Liverpool medical staff were certain that he'd be heading back from London still a Liverpool player as they were sure he would not pass his medical.

I wouldn't be surprised if this information was on one of the earlier pages of this thread, if anyone was keen to trawl back through it.

I remember thinking at the time 50 million, take the money. Its strange how its turned out. I thought we could never replace anyone of his quality and we managed to get someone better at around the same time (You know I'm not referring to Carroll right??)

Then City scored and I screeched and this big bloke, a Liverpool supporter, made towards me and I thought he was going to throttle me. But he just pulled my scarf from under my coat so it lay on the outside, and said: "You should always be proud of your colours, lad."

Lee Chapman - Arsenal and England defender
jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 11:33 AM   #6043
G
Paisley

http://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/show...postcount=5029

G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 10:45 PM   #6044
Boogs
Shankly

Best place for this link and shows were not the only club that makes shite signings.

http://trends.photos/7e9eb

Old 01-05-14, 10:50 PM   #6045
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think this story has been doing the rounds for some time. Allegedly Abramovich was keen to get Torres come hell or high water so the push came from him to make sure he was a Chelsea player regardless of how the medical panned out.

Apparently the Liverpool medical staff were certain that he'd be heading back from London still a Liverpool player as they were sure he would not pass his medical.

I wouldn't be surprised if this information was on one of the earlier pages of this thread, if anyone was keen to trawl back through it.
A thread search for medical confirms that PTP posted about him allegedly failing his medical 3 but Abramovich forcing the deal through
Old 13-05-14, 06:30 PM   #6046
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Has this schmuck cunt booked his flight to Madrid yet?
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-14, 07:05 PM   #6047
McDermotX
Paisley

Incredibly managed to get into Spain's provisional 30 man squad.

Beggars belief, but barring some murder spree involving the other forwards, he's surely out on his tits.
Old 28-05-14, 07:54 PM   #6048
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Fernando Torres: I felt like a king at Liverpool – Steven Gerrard and I were made for each other

The Spanish striker scored 65 times during a sensational three-and-a-half years at Anfield but has failed to reproduce such form since joining current club Chelsea

Relationship: Torres and Gerrard struck up an excellent understanding at Anfield
Fernando Torres has claimed he and Steven Gerrard "were made for each other".

And the Chelsea striker revealed telling the Liverpool captain he was leaving Liverpool in January 2011 was one of the most difficult moments of his career.

Torres signed for the Blues for £50m - and has never reproduced his Anfield success in three-and-a-half years in London.

In an interview with French magazine So Foot, the Spaniard recounted how he felt he had to move to Stamford Bridge for the sake of his career. But he said he has never found another player like Gerrard.

"At Liverpool, I had almost everything but titles," Torres said. "There, I felt like a king but the team was falling apart. The directors had sold Mascherano to Barca, then Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid without investing any of the money to compensate for the departure of these two key players.

"I was 27, I wanted to know what it was like to lift the Champions League and I had the feeling it was not going to happen with the Reds. Liverpool then was in full transition, the club was being sold and in that case, unless you are Manchester City or PSG, it can be a long road before you are again competitive.

"I did not have the time to wait. One day, Steven Gerrard came to say to me: "Fernando, now, you have to think of yourself. Do what you have to do."

"But when I went to tell him that I was going to accept the Chelsea offer, it destroyed him. Announcing my departure from Liverpool to Gerrard was one of the most difficult moments of my career. He was my best team-mate and I am not sure of finding another like him in the future. We were made for each other."

By contrast, Torres struggled to fit into a Chelsea side which was continually changing tactics and managers.

"Everyone was a bit lost," he recalled. "Before my arrival, Chelsea played with Anelka and Drogba in attack. I arrived to play alongside Anelka in a system with three midfielders. We played only one match with that system.

"At the time, David Luiz and myself went to see Ancelotti together because we had been the last arrivals, we were told we would be important, but, in reality, we weren't playing. They finished by saying to us: 'We are going to finish the season with the team that started it'.

Out of sorts: Torres has struggled to replicate his Liverpool form at Stamford Bridge
"I understood nothing of what had happened. I started to know the experience of the bench. I reassured myself by saying things would soon change. Villas-Boas arrived, then Di Matteo but it was always the same: one day I played, the next not."

But his old Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez briefly got the best out his fellow Spaniard at Chelsea.

"With Rafa, I learned to think about the best option to take in important moments," Torres said. "It is about teaching - everything he does gets you to think. I am sure that there are footballers who retire without ever having thought on the pitch.

"Rafa was very tactical. Before knowing him, I had the habit of running everywhere, no matter where. Five good runs into space are worth more than 100 in the wind."

But Torres insisted he has never regretted moving to England - and said a highlight was meeting the Gallagher brothers through Gerrard.

And he claimed the export of Spanish players had helped the Spain team - and the same could happen to England.

"If it took a long time to export players, it was because we were scared. Scared of the unknown," said Torres, who joined Liverpool from Atletico Madrid in July 2007.

"The same thing is happening to the English today. They are incapable of leaving the Premier League. But the day when it is the English who go abroad, a lot will follow.

"This could be for the best for the England team. I know what I am talking about. When Xabi Alonso, Reina, Arbeloa and Fabregas left for England, we became more competitive. The fact that the Spanish players toughen themselves up abroad has been very important."

link
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-14, 08:05 PM   #6049
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Wanker

Not you Bendy

Wtf is that about the Gallagher brothers
Old 28-05-14, 08:07 PM   #6050
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Wanker

Not you Bendy
i was about to post one of my Infamous Bender pimp pictures with a message to you Norbs
Old 28-05-14, 08:12 PM   #6051
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Wanker

Not you Bendy

Wtf is that about the Gallagher brothers

edit: shit! didn't read the second line.

Last edited by Vermilion; 28-05-14 at 08:16 PM.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-14, 10:16 AM   #6052
Tee
El Pistolero

Puta.
Old 29-05-14, 10:19 AM   #6053
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Puta.
Vladimir ?
Old 29-05-14, 10:27 AM   #6054
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Vladimir ?
No, Torres.

Its all so predictable isn't it? After shitting his career with the Chavs he is realising just what he moved away from. They tried to make him a King at Chelsea but the truth is he is nothing there. Disgusting owner, disgusting club, disgusting Manager, disgusting players and just the most disgusting fans. They all deserve each other.
Old 29-05-14, 10:29 AM   #6055
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
No, Torres.

Its all so predictable isn't it? After shitting his career with the Chavs he is realising just what he moved away from. They tried to make him a King at Chelsea but the truth is he is nothing there. Disgusting owner, disgusting club, disgusting Manager, disgusting players and just the most disgusting fans. They all deserve each other.
I said it all along his heart and soul never left Anfield
Old 29-05-14, 11:00 AM   #6056
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
No, Torres.

Fuck him, and the horse he rode in on.
Old 29-05-14, 02:50 PM   #6057
G
Paisley

Or rode out on.
Old 31-05-14, 10:24 AM   #6058
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Good movement, excellent touch.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 10:30 AM   #6059
RichC
Meh

Less said about that finish
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 10:34 AM   #6060
Muddled
Meat Shield

Great first touch.
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 10:38 AM   #6061
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I don't hold any animosity towards Torres at all now. He seems a good lad. I just wish he would leave Chelsea.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 10:47 AM   #6062
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Good movement, excellent touch.

Hahaha

Shite.
Old 31-05-14, 11:07 AM   #6063
badpiggy
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I don't hold any animosity towards Torres at all now. He seems a good lad. I just wish he would leave Chelsea.
How people maintain the level of bitterness towards him is amazing.
Old 31-05-14, 11:09 AM   #6064
G
Paisley

Quote:
Yeah me neither. He made a choice to try win things, that's what football is all about and they were the only ones willing to pay what we wanted. We did pretty well out of the deal and he got the medal he wanted whilst simultaneously turning to absolute shit .
Old 31-05-14, 11:14 AM   #6065
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpiggy View Post
How people maintain the level of bitterness towards him is amazing.
I think it may have something to do with handing in a transfer request on the last day of the transfer window, leaving us no time to find a decent replacement. That showed a real lack of class and respect
Old 31-05-14, 11:24 AM   #6066
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

Also I think you may get your wish, I can't see him being at Chelsea much longer.
Old 31-05-14, 11:29 AM   #6067
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
I think it may have something to do with handing in a transfer request on the last day of the transfer window, leaving us no time to find a decent replacement. That showed a real lack of class and respect

He showed a lot of spite towards the club by doing that.

He'll tell his grandkids about the trophies he's won for Spain and videos of him playing for Liverpool. The CL and other medals won playing for Chelsea will end up gathering dust in a drawer as he knows they're hollow.
Old 31-05-14, 12:28 PM   #6068
G
Paisley

He handed it in on the Friday,window closed on the Sunday and he did it because the club told him he was going nowhere unless he did,presumably because it meant we didn't owe him any money if he handed one in.There was also loads of rumours he wanted to leave for months up to that,the club knew what was going on,they spent the funds badly,not his fault.If I was a Liverpool player then I'd have handed one in the second Hodgson got the job! What pissed me off was he didn't give Kenny a chance.Him and Suarez could have been unreal but it's gone now and Kenny's reign was pretty poor in the end.

People still lambast McManaman for leaving on a free even though the club tried to sell him the year before.Shit happens.

Last edited by G; 31-05-14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 31-05-14, 01:17 PM   #6069
badpiggy
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Yeah sure there are reasons. I just can't summon up bitterness towards him personally. Find him to be a bit of a sad figure really. I guess I'm a bit bemused by the search for morality in football and transfers. I know they're insanely well paid but I think we have expectations about footballers' attitude to their jobs that we would never have for our own work.
Old 31-05-14, 02:03 PM   #6070
Reece

Quote:
Yeah sure there are reasons. I just can't summon up bitterness towards him personally. Find him to be a bit of a sad figure really. I guess I'm a bit bemused by the search for morality in football and transfers. I know they're insanely well paid but I think we have expectations about footballers' attitude to their jobs that we would never have for our own work.
Reece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 02:07 PM   #6071
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Aye I'm the same. He does seem a good lad, and seems a bit sad too. Loads of players have left us - okay, maybe not for Chelsea - but are still popular. Souness left, Rush fucked off etc. Looking back at the state we were in at the time, with that prick Purslow making promises/telling lies, it's hardly surprising. I think maybe the fact he pretty much downed tools for his last season still rankles, which I can understand. Personally though have no ill will towards him at all. Good luck to him, whatever he does. I/we have moved on and got a much better looking girl now anyway.
Old 31-05-14, 04:27 PM   #6072
Trippendicular
Fagan

He was my favourite player since I got my hair cut like 98 Owen and remains the only name I ever got on the back of a Liverpool jersey and I still don't have any ill will towards him. Watch his highlights for us and tell me he didn't love the club when he was here.
Trippendicular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 04:36 PM   #6073
G
Paisley

He succeeded in leaving where Suarez failed. The only difference. Suarez will go to eventually to the highest bidder regardless of who that may be.Torres was the last world class player I truly allowed myself to love because unless they are English they'll all leave for sunnier climes eventually.
Old 31-05-14, 04:39 PM   #6074
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Old 31-05-14, 04:41 PM   #6075
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
He succeeded in leaving where Suarez failed. The only difference. Suarez will go to eventually to the highest bidder regardless of who that may be.Torres was the last world class player I truly allowed myself to love because unless they are English they'll all leave for sunnier climes eventually.
prepares a goodbye banner for suarez

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 04:57 PM   #6076
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Suarez reacted to being refused his move by giving even more the following season. For that reason I'll never begrudge him his move when it comes. Suarez possesses far more class and integrity in his little finger than Torres could ever dream of.
Old 31-05-14, 05:03 PM   #6077
G
Paisley

Quote:
Suarez reacted to being refused his move by giving even more the following season. For that reason I'll never begrudge him his move when it comes. Suarez possesses far more class and integrity in his little finger than Torres could ever dream of.
Yeah thats true,but he'll still leave,eventually. Who he goes to will largely decide how he's viewed IMO.
Old 31-05-14, 05:39 PM   #6078
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
When has Torres showed a lack of class and integrity? Has he disrespected us in any shape or form? I can't really recall anything to be honest with you.

I don't understand all the bitterness, especially after all those years have passed.
Old 31-05-14, 05:43 PM   #6079
Phoenix07
The Normal One

When I think of Torres, the first thing that comes to mind is his time at Chelsea.

It's almost like a bunch of special effects seeing him in a Liverpool shirt. It shows how detached and unbothered I am by him.
Phoenix07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 09:24 PM   #6080
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Aye I'm the same. He does seem a good lad, and seems a bit sad too. Loads of players have left us - okay, maybe not for Chelsea - but are still popular. Souness left, Rush fucked off etc. Looking back at the state we were in at the time, with that prick Purslow making promises/telling lies, it's hardly surprising. I think maybe the fact he pretty much downed tools for his last season still rankles, which I can understand. Personally though have no ill will towards him at all. Good luck to him, whatever he does. I/we have moved on and got a much better looking girl now anyway.
Me too, That said maybe if he'd been a major success at Chelsea I'd be more bitter, but as he hasn't ...

est1892 > Football > General Football