It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 07-10-06, 07:28 PM   #1
desertscouser
Prediction Legend

Tigers v Yankees

I'm a long suffering Tigers fan and I'm hoping someone here knows which channel I can catch the game.

Anyone?
desertscouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 07-10-06, 07:43 PM   #2
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertscouser
I'm a long suffering Tigers fan and I'm hoping someone here knows which channel I can catch the game.

Anyone?
Mate if you are really desperate [and you think the Tigers will go far] you can buy a MLB post season subscription on www.mlb.tv

The games are streamed via the interweb and the quality is surprisingly excellent.

Somthing to consider.

Should be an excellent game tonight. Hoping that the Tigers do the business. If they do the Yankees are going to implode this offseason. Which will be nice.

Last edited by spud_gun; 07-10-06 at 07:45 PM.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 06:05 AM   #3
desertscouser
Prediction Legend

Thanks Spud, I'll check it out..

The tigers have done it! They've finished off the evil empire!

I've been a tigers fan since I was introduced to baseball 20 years ago and apart from one season in 87 we've been virtually the worst piece of sh!t team in baseball.

In 2003, we lost 119 games and were the worst team of my lifetime but Dombroski (general manager) and of course Leyland have turned the Tigers upside down since they've come on board. From laughing stock to potential world champions. It's fairy tale stuff.
Old 08-10-06, 06:15 AM   #4
univofchicago
Fagan

Quote:

Anyone?
For the last 5-6 years, there always seem to be one team with that sudden momentum and, thus, catching us neutrals completely by surprise.

Last year it was Chicago White Sox. Anaheim Angels and Florida Marlins are the other examples.

I've got a feeling it is going to be Detroit Tigers this year...

Duncan Oldham, March 29th 2006
univofchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 06:28 AM   #5
desertscouser
Prediction Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by univofchicago
For the last 5-6 years, there always seem to be one team with that sudden momentum and, thus, catching us neutrals completely by surprise.

Last year it was Chicago White Sox. Anaheim Angels and Florida Marlins are the other examples.

I've got a feeling it is going to be Detroit Tigers this year...
True but nothing can compare to being the worst team EVER 3 years ago and being on the verge of reaching the world series. Dombrowski did it for the Marlins but this is a far greater achievement in my opinion.
Old 08-10-06, 06:29 AM   #6
desertscouser
Prediction Legend

Nice article..

DETROIT -- This is a story of redemption, of determination and of pitching. Those first two parts are really nifty, but without that pitching they won't get you to the American League Championship Series.
That is where the Detroit Tigers are going now. They defied the experts, the expectations and the New York Yankees, all in a three-game stretch of October.

It was a joy to behold for the citizens at Comerica Park on Saturday. They had waited 19 years for postseason baseball to reappear in Motown. When it came back, it was draped in glory, the Tigers defeating the Yankees in an AL Division Series, losing the opener and then coming up with three straight victories.

It was an upset, based on the betting odds and the overwhelming expectations for the Yankees. But this was not an upset in the manner of Buster Douglas toppling Mike Tyson. The Tigers had better pitching than the Yankees. This is what typically decides postseason series, so in that sense they were no surprise at all.

But look where the Tigers were six days ago and look where they are now. The Tigers arrived in early August with a 76-36 record. They were the toast of the baseball world. From that point to the end of the season they went 19-31. But the worst was at the end, losing their last five straight, including the last three at home to the Kansas City Royals. The final loss to the Royals cost the Tigers the AL Central title, in a race in which they had once held a 10-game lead.

The Tigers were reeling, right? They were ready only to be convenient victims for the mighty Yankees, correct? No. The Tigers not only bounced back, they soared back. They won the last three games from the Yankees by a cumulative score of 18-6.

Within six days, the Tigers went from being unable to win a game against the Kansas City Royals to dominating the New York Yankees. A baseball team can't travel much further in a short period of time. This took a lot of heart, a lot of determination, a lot of pride on the part of the Tigers. And it also took a lot of pitching.

Nobody traveled further than the last two starting pitchers for Detroit, Game 3 winner Kenny Rogers and Game 4 winner Jeremy Bonderman. Rogers defeated not only the Yankees but his own previous reputation as someone who could not beat the Yankees and could not win in the postseason. His performance Friday night was as courageous as it was dominant. He went from being a postseason patsy to a postseason ace.

Bonderman had coughed up a big lead in the final loss to Kansas City. Saturday in Game 4, he was given another early lead but he was determined that that this time he would hold up his end of the bargain. He retired the first 15 Yankees he faced and he gave up only two runs on five hits over 8 1/3 innings. He made certain that this clinching game would not get away from his team.

"I gave up a six run lead to clinch our division, and I wasn't going to let that happen tonight," Bonderman said. "The guys got me a lead, and I wasn't going to let up and I wasn't going to give it back."

"You know, this is a great Yankees team. They are from top to bottom, manager all the way down; I knew I had to bring my A-game, and I was able to do that."

Home | News | Video | Audio | PhotosWhat all the Tigers did, rebounding from could have been a demoralizing finish to the regular season, is something to celebrate. They never lost focus. They never lost faith.

"This is a great team," Bonderman said. "We hit a scuff in the road and a good team will bounce back. We have a great team.

"I think it's just, you know, from our skipper [Jim Leyland] coming in and telling us: 'Take it one game at a time. If you lose one, you've still got to play tomorrow.' And I think we took that to heart and came out and executed that."

This team was determined to overcome its earlier failures. The performances of Rogers and Bonderman embodied that determination, but the whole team was characterized by that sort of resolve.

The Tigers have come a long, long way, not only in the last week, but from where this club was in 2003, when it lost 119 games, or even last season, when it lost 91.

Winning this series was a validation for everything that the Tigers had accomplished in traveling all the way from baseball oblivion to the October spotlight. And winning this Series over the Yankees took on a special meaning of its own.

Leyland deserves a world of credit for the job he has done here. He knows baseball and he knows people. He can handle the game and find a way to bring out the best in the people who play the game. He knew what this postseason triumph, this victory over the Yankees meant.

"I want to take this time to congratulate the Yankees on another great season," Leyland said Saturday night, his voice cracking with emotion. "And it's kind of ironic, really, because in Spring Training, I said when we played the Yankees: 'You know, I want you to get to where we take the field like the Yankees take the field. There's a special air about them. There's a special confidence, not cockiness. But a special air.'

"I said: 'That's the level that we want to get to, and we've got to get that quiet swagger and confidence that the Yankees get.' I used them as a great example all spring. It was just kind of ironic that we got to play them, and fortunately beat them, in the playoffs."

And this was good for Detroit, which has always been a terrific baseball town, but recently just hasn't had an appropriate team to celebrate. A crowd of 43,126 rejoiced with every strike Bonderman threw Saturday. They had waited 19 years for postseason baseball to return. The return was suitably joyous.

The Tigers are going to the ALCS because they have that surest of baseball virtues: really good pitching. But they are also moving on in October because they have heart enough to rise above disappointment.

They lost the last three to the Royals, but then they won the last three from the Yankees. In the process of winning those last three, the Tigers also won themselves a new definition:

This is not primarily a team that stumbled and fell at the end of the regular season. This is now a team that had determination enough and ability enough to rise up in the postseason. The three they won against the mighty Yankees will still be vividly remembered when the three they lost against the Royals are just a footnote in history.
Old 08-10-06, 06:37 AM   #7
univofchicago
Fagan

Quote:
True but nothing can compare to being the worst team EVER 3 years ago and being on the verge of reaching the world series. Dombrowski did it for the Marlins but this is a far greater achievement in my opinion.
Yeah, I guess so.

You could say the same thing about the Twins though (thought they were very unlucky with those injuries). Something very strange happened to the AL central division this year. If I remember correctly, AL central was a crap division only a few years back. Now, with Chicago White Sox, Detroit Tigers and the Minnesota Twins, its one of the hottest divisions around...

I guess that is American sports for ya. It can never happen in European football...

Duncan Oldham, March 29th 2006
univofchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 03:47 PM   #8
puredale
Houllier

http://www.myp2p.eu/MLB.htm
Old 08-10-06, 03:52 PM   #9
mersey86
Fagan

Quote:
I've been a tigers fan since I was introduced to baseball 20 years ago.
There's a lot of people love the Tigers this morning.
Old 08-10-06, 04:09 PM   #10
desertscouser
Prediction Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey86
There's a lot of people love the Tigers this morning.
Fair weather fans can feck off
Old 09-10-06, 01:25 PM   #11
red_in_oz
Houllier

I'm a White Sox fan since 1979 and I have a feeling the Tigers are going to do what the Sox did last season.

If the Tigers pitching performs they will be unstoppable.

I predict a Tigers v Mets World Series.
Old 09-10-06, 01:57 PM   #12
mersey86
Fagan

I'll admit to being extremely surprised that the Tigers beat the Yankees. The Tigers have been on a downwards slope for several weeks now, not surprising given that they have such young pitchers who have pitched much more than ever before in their lives. Precedent says that they will not perform well in October. Bonderman obviously overcame that on Saturday. Can they do it again against Oakland? I really hope so, but I expect Oakland to win.
Old 10-10-06, 10:09 AM   #13
Rosco
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey86
I'll admit to being extremely surprised that the Tigers beat the Yankees. The Tigers have been on a downwards slope for several weeks now, not surprising given that they have such young pitchers who have pitched much more than ever before in their lives. Precedent says that they will not perform well in October. Bonderman obviously overcame that on Saturday. Can they do it again against Oakland? I really hope so, but I expect Oakland to win.
You shouldn't be that shocked, the Tigers pitchers had the lowest ERA in the majors during the regular season.

Pitching usually wins out in the playoffs.
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-06, 10:12 AM   #14
Mumsafan
Paisley

I quite like baseball although the only games I've ever been to were at the Jack Murphy so I have continued to follow San Diego who are in actual fact, rubbish!

I wish it was on the tv more over here.
Old 10-10-06, 10:18 AM   #15
Rosco
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsafan
I quite like baseball although the only games I've ever been to were at the Jack Murphy so I have continued to follow San Diego who are in actual fact, rubbish!

I wish it was on the tv more over here.
San Diego made the playoffs this season, they aren't that bad.

Arguably better than my team anyway (Bluejays)
Old 10-10-06, 10:22 AM   #16
Mumsafan
Paisley

I thought they were lucky to get that far
Old 11-10-06, 05:27 AM   #17
desertscouser
Prediction Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco
You shouldn't be that shocked, the Tigers pitchers had the lowest ERA in the majors during the regular season.

Pitching usually wins out in the playoffs.
Excatly right Rosco. It's all about the pitching in the play offs and the Tigers have one of the best pitching staffs around.

And already a 5-1 victory against the A's, and up next.. Justin Verlander

I really do believe the Tigers will go all the way this year.
Old 11-10-06, 02:05 PM   #18
red_in_oz
Houllier

Quote:
Excatly right Rosco. It's all about the pitching in the play offs and the Tigers have one of the best pitching staffs around.

The Tigers showed great pitching in Game 1 v A's.

Robertson was 13-13 during the year but didn't allow a run.

Zito was poor for the A's.

Verlander is a rookie but I reckon he'll beat Loaiza. If the A's go 0-2 down they've had it.

Weaver V Glavine in NLCS should be good too.
Old 11-10-06, 03:31 PM   #19
mersey86
Fagan

We'll see with Verlander. He's been well short of his best for some time. He's certainly pitched well more than ever before and the mental and physical stress have been telling. I hope the Tigers win, though - it would be a deserved reward for an excellent season.
Any news on Casey? He limped off yesterday.
Old 11-10-06, 03:50 PM   #20
Rosco
Benitez

Quote:

Last night was the most out of character display I've seen from the Tigers lineup. No strikeouts at all last night ! All season long they've been a free swinging bunch, but last night they showed excellent plate discipline and really got at Zito.

I didn't think they'd get this far but they're capable of winning the whole lot.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 12-10-06, 12:48 AM   #21
Mattshark
Still Blames Thatcher

As a Braves fan, this season sucks.
Mattshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 05:28 AM   #22
desertscouser
Prediction Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattshark
As a Braves fan, this season sucks.

2-0 to the Tigers
Old 12-10-06, 10:51 AM   #23
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:

2-0 to the Tigers
Looks like yours boys may be going to the WS.

Old 13-10-06, 08:17 AM   #24
red_in_oz
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_in_oz
Weaver V Glavine in NLCS should be good too.
And it was!
Old 15-10-06, 12:54 AM   #25
spud_gun
Paisley

Tigers just made the WS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 run walk off homer.

Nice.

Old 15-10-06, 05:00 AM   #26
red_in_oz
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun
Tigers just made the WS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 run walk off homer.

Nice.

The way they are playing, they will sweep whoever they get.

Cards looked good tonight. Mets must win Sunday.
Old 15-10-06, 05:47 AM   #27
ningnangnong
Resident Aussie

My cousin used to play for Florida Marlins.

Not technically play for them, but for one of there minor league affiliated clubs, or whatever you call them , i'm not to sure as i don't know much about baseball. He only ever got up to Class A level, i think he had to retire early from injuries.
There's a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots Jibber Jabber Joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang!
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So it's Ning Nang Nong!
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning!
Trees go Ping!
Nong Ning Nang!
The mice go clang!
What a noisy place to belong,
Is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!

Last edited by ningnangnong; 15-10-06 at 06:05 AM.
ningnangnong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 10:46 PM   #28
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Tiger you say
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports