It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-20, 10:32 PM   #4561
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Sam Johnson rings almost no bells

Huw Jones looked good for a while - didn't realize he was gradually moving backwards

I can recall Matt Scott at Gloucester but not at the Chiefs - was he definitely there?
That's why I don't want SA franchises to leave Super Rugby. Jones was quality at the Stormers and has ended up below average.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 11:30 PM   #4562
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
That's why I don't want SA franchises to leave Super Rugby. Jones was quality at the Stormers and has ended up below average.
To be fair he's in the minority, the lads at Sale and Gloucester for example have done pretty well.

(And you probably don't actually care too much now Jones is a 'Scot' )
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 11:31 PM   #4563
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Just read this stat Buzzo - incredible.

Scotland conceded 59 points in this year's championship.

It's the lowest number of points any team has conceded in the Six Nations in five years.

The winners of the tournament usually give up about 70 points.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 12:00 AM   #4564
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Sam Johnson rings almost no bells

Huw Jones looked good for a while - didn't realize he was gradually moving backwards

I can recall Matt Scott at Gloucester but not at the Chiefs - was he definitely there?
Jeez. I meant to type Edinburgh.

What is happening to me

Sam Johnson scored a try or two over the last few years including one in the epic comeback at Twickenham. He may have been injured recently.
__________________
Vlog

Last edited by Buzzo; 02-11-20 at 12:03 AM.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 12:05 AM   #4565
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
That's why I don't want SA franchises to leave Super Rugby. Jones was quality at the Stormers and has ended up below average.
I donít think that happened because he came here

He was class for the first few years and Glasgow were a good team. Theyíve lost Finn Russell, Jonny Gray and Stuart Hogg since Jones went there.

He has had a few injuries and never really recovered.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 12:06 AM   #4566
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Just read this stat Buzzo - incredible.

Scotland conceded 59 points in this year's championship.

It's the lowest number of points any team has conceded in the Six Nations in five years.

The winners of the tournament usually give up about 70 points.
Yeah a massive change for us.

If we can retain that meanness and develop some cutting edge we might be on to something.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 12:28 AM   #4567
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Jeez. I meant to type Edinburgh.

What is happening to me

It's the slow morph from a Celt to a Chief
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 01:13 AM   #4568
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Scotland wise, having watched the game I was impressed. We look mean in defence. Not sure Iíve ever said that before. Steve Tandy and Pieter De Villiers have made a huge improvement there. We also have genuine front row depth.

If we can get the backs firing we could be quite a team. Iíd say the area that isnít working for us is centre, we are trying a lot of combinations and canít find anyone with flair who also has a strong defence. But. For a work in progress Iím pretty happy and the watershed from the last World Cup has brought progress.

Weíve sacked off the Ďfastest brand of rugbyí chat which is good.

Quite a frustrating 6Ns for us. We should have beaten Ireland and we will never know v England because of the weather. On the day we just couldnít get across the line.

We seem capable of finding 3 wins, we cannot get to 4 or the holy grail of 5.
Saw an interesting stat that in 2020 (bad years for stats) Scotland gave away 11.8 PPG and SAís in 2019 when winning the RWCw was 11.5 ppg which if true and accurate is pretty impressive.

Think youíre a good side these days but as ever it matters who you have coming through
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 10:55 AM   #4569
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Saw an interesting stat that in 2020 (bad years for stats) Scotland gave away 11.8 PPG and SA’s in 2019 when winning the RWCw was 11.5 ppg which if true and accurate is pretty impressive.

Think you’re a good side these days but as ever it matters who you have coming through
We are definitely showing signs of earning at least a place within the conversation. I think for a few years we have been a team other nations have feared, knowing if we had a good day we were a handful but also a team people have known how to beat. We would only play expansive Rugby, and if that didnt come off we were doomed. If you are not in the battle up front then the bigger teams will beat you, we now have some grunt.

Talk is cheap though, and we have been subject to lots of that. I want to see increased signs of improvement this autumn.
__________________
Vlog

Last edited by Buzzo; 02-11-20 at 01:35 PM.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 01:28 PM   #4570
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,435
SA have commited to the rugby championship until 2030.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54807821
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-20, 09:09 PM   #4571
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
No 8 nations chat lads?

Although as I don't have Prime this is one of the few games I'm going to get to see along with tomorrows', so unless there are highlights on main stream TV I'll be dipping out too.

I see Billy Burns is on Nev - how is he Irish, the family are from Gloucester or Bath. Somewhere down that way and his brother has played for England

Anywhere surely you have better? Maybe he'll surprise me but I can't say I've ever rated him.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-20, 10:46 PM   #4572
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
No 8 nations chat lads?

Although as I don't have Prime this is one of the few games I'm going to get to see along with tomorrows', so unless there are highlights on main stream TV I'll be dipping out too.

I see Billy Burns is on Nev - how is he Irish, the family are from Gloucester or Bath. Somewhere down that way and his brother has played for England

Anywhere surely you have better? Maybe he'll surprise me but I can't say I've ever rated him.
Just like those Tuilagi and Vunipola lads.........as English as you get

Weíll take anyone Cormack - not fussy
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-20, 09:02 AM   #4573
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,435
Good win for Argentina vs the ABs, ABs were poor but Argentina out fought them all over the pitch, first win for them against the Kiwis
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-20, 10:18 AM   #4574
rodo
Shankly
 
rodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,255
Every time i see any rugby from new zealand I cant get past an actual crowd being there
__________________
Oh I say his vision there was lovely
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-20, 11:37 AM   #4575
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Good win for Argentina vs the ABs, ABs were poor but Argentina out fought them all over the pitch, first win for them against the Kiwis
Was just going to post it - brilliant to see

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-20, 03:50 PM   #4576
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Wow, what a statement from the Pumas. Great to see though, be good to see the reverence they are held in start to disappear a bit. Is that back to back defeats?

We’ve just had a really tough game against the Italians. We scored 4 try’s to 1 in a 28 17 win. But that’s possibly the best I’ve seen the Italians play. They look a lot more solid and disciplined.

Great to see Duncan Weir playing with Finn and Hastings out injured for a while he is going to get some games.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-20, 04:24 PM   #4577
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Just like those Tuilagi and Vunipola lads.........as English as you get

We’ll take anyone Cormack - not fussy

The Vunipola lads are basically Welsh
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-20, 09:16 PM   #4578
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,557
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-20, 09:50 PM   #4579
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Wow, what a statement from the Pumas. Great to see though, be good to see the reverence they are held in start to disappear a bit. Is that back to back defeats?

Weíve just had a really tough game against the Italians. We scored 4 tryís to 1 in a 28 17 win. But thatís possibly the best Iíve seen the Italians play. They look a lot more solid and disciplined.

Great to see Duncan Weir playing with Finn and Hastings out injured for a while he is going to get some games.
The Pumas were brilliant, fully deserved win. Not sure the current AB coach is popular or likely to last, only given a 2 year contract and already a year or so into that.

Good for the game though seeing Argentina having a result like that against them
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 10:19 AM   #4580
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,176

There was a lot of incredible happenings on the pitch over the weekend, but I think this has to be my favourite.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 10:52 AM   #4581
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Video not available in my location
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 12:24 PM   #4582
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Video not available in my location
Shit, thought that may be the case, it's an incredible finish from Rosko Specman. Will post the game highlights, not sure if that'll help you guys - some magic from Willemse too, so worth it.


If that doesn't work, here's one from the All Blacks Youtube which would hopefully work - otherwise, I give up

Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-20, 10:53 PM   #4583
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Fiji having their second successive game cancelled.

Who thought it was a good idea to invite them
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 05:10 PM   #4584
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,557
Just saw the teams for the game this weekend - we are getting thumped . That pack will grind us into the ground
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-20, 09:33 PM   #4585
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Hmm I don't know.

Eddie makes a good point that England have played Italy and Georgia whereas Ireland have had two proper games v France and Wales.

He's also moaning about Porter's scrummaging so I think he might be a little bit concerned.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-20, 10:51 PM   #4586
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Hmm I don't know.

Eddie makes a good point that England have played Italy and Georgia whereas Ireland have had two proper games v France and Wales.

He's also moaning about Porter's scrummaging so I think he might be a little bit concerned.
Physicality is what always gets us and this current side is without some of our best players especially Furlong, this isnít me playing it down. I reckon a 20+ points beating is incoming - youíll over power us
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 10:41 AM   #4587
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,176
Quite impressed with that first half between the Wallabies and Argentina.

Less impressive was the most pussy melee I've ever seen between Sanchez and Tupou
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 11:04 AM   #4588
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Yeah quite a lot of falling over in the ‘handbags’.

Good game though. Pumas are a tough team to break down. Hooper on the wrong side of the ref because he won’t shut up.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 11:08 AM   #4589
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Second half pretty scrappy. Lots of niggle.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 11:40 AM   #4590
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,176
What a fight back by Argentina. Drama there at the end too. Draw is probably fair. As good as Argentina have been, I'm happy that the Boks aren't in this tournament. Lack of concrete preparation and incomplete SR season has closed the gap between them and Australia/NZ. It's impossible to think they can beat the All Blacks again, but who can write them off?

Bad miss from Hodge on the 77th, didn't look like he had the bottle to slot it.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 11:43 AM   #4591
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Yeah that kick chase at the end was probably 5-10 m from a winning try the chaser had the legs just couldn’t get to the ball.

Yeah quite surprised by that miss at the end wasn’t from too far out. Relatively centre.

Amazing how Argentina have improved since they have been allowed into the tournament. Absolutely heroic defence. They remind me of us in attack sometimes, particularly pre - Finn. They get into the 22 and run out of grunt and ideas.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 11:55 AM   #4592
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,176
It wasn't an 'easy' or mandatory kick but would have been surprised if he did it. Seemed to just be smashing them and hoping before that. Got really lucky in the first half with the one which shaped in at the end because it looked well wide and given how hard he kicked it, I can't say it was intentional at all.

I always think Reece Hodge is Michael Rapaport and post botched plastic surgery Mickey Rourke's lovechild.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-20, 04:24 PM   #4593
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,435
What a try !! May with some fantastic play there
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 11:15 AM   #4594
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Looking at the stats from the game, Ireland:

Carried for more metres
Had more carries
Had more clean breaks
Beat more defenders
Made more passes and offloads
Conceded less turnovers

Plus England had to make 3x as many tackles.

So by no means doom and gloom Nev.

To me they just looked like they needed a bit more efficiency and precision which may come once this group settles in together.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 02:16 PM   #4595
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Looking at the stats from the game, Ireland:

Carried for more metres
Had more carries
Had more clean breaks
Beat more defenders
Made more passes and offloads
Conceded less turnovers

Plus England had to make 3x as many tackles.

So by no means doom and gloom Nev.

To me they just looked like they needed a bit more efficiency and precision which may come once this group settles in together.
High level view of that - England play a particular way....they like teams to carry the ball into contact so their rush defence and big men force you back and the jackals get ready to poach. What they donít like is the ball played behind them to make them turn - we did it once and we scored. We did 3 man pods of one out slow runners a hundred times and we got smashed back and turned over. It was like Farrell had never seen this England side play and we had no plan.

Our line out malfunctioned and our kicking game was shocking - again the coaches carry a lot of the blame for me. We have some excellent young players coming through but canít carry injuries to Furlong, Ringrose, Sexton (uuuurgh), Henshaw and more.

I got a big fed up of the way we played under Schmidt but once in the red zone we invariably came away with points and we won. We are a few games into the Farrell reign and Iím not seeing anything new or different. Just more of the same but executed badly.

Iím not disheartened because as I said we have done superb players coming through and if Carbury can ever get fit a genuine replacement for Sexton. What annoys me more is listening to that pig Eddie Jones bleating out some nonsense. I really donít like that man
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 04:13 PM   #4596
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
High level view of that - England play a particular way....they like teams to carry the ball into contact so their rush defence and big men force you back and the jackals get ready to poach. What they don’t like is the ball played behind them to make them turn - we did it once and we scored. We did 3 man pods of one out slow runners a hundred times and we got smashed back and turned over. It was like Farrell had never seen this England side play and we had no plan.

Our line out malfunctioned and our kicking game was shocking - again the coaches carry a lot of the blame for me. We have some excellent young players coming through but can’t carry injuries to Furlong, Ringrose, Sexton (uuuurgh), Henshaw and more.

I got a big fed up of the way we played under Schmidt but once in the red zone we invariably came away with points and we won. We are a few games into the Farrell reign and I’m not seeing anything new or different. Just more of the same but executed badly.

I’m not disheartened because as I said we have done superb players coming through and if Carbury can ever get fit a genuine replacement for Sexton. What annoys me more is listening to that pig Eddie Jones bleating out some nonsense. I really don’t like that man


I'm not so sure - we had less turnovers then you so I'm not entirely convinced that defined the game.

And personally I'd rather have the stats in my favour -even in defeat - because it gives something to work with. No possession and a 1000 tackles made wouldn't provide much positivity

But the stats you needed to go in your favour included the set piece and clearly that didn't happen.

One out runners - agree - I was coaching that out of 9 year olds so it's baffling why it exists at International level and if you're getting the ball at any age you need to be running on to it. Again, I'm always a bit surprised seeing top level players taking it standing still.

And there was some space as you mentioned and thats the bit where I thought Ireland were lacking - lots of possession but not much creativity. Akee doesn't help IMO (although I thought he had one of his better games), because even though he commits defenders and makes yards, the ball invariably dies with him; he doesn't have the dent and off load quality of someone like Tuilagi.

On Eddie J, no one in England liked him before he was our coach but he grows on you now that he is. It would be the same if he was coaching Ireland and by all accounts the players love him. Plus I think he's actually a lot more humble than you see him on TV where he's invariably the pantomime villain. In his book he comes across as far more humble and aware of his deficiencies.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 05:07 PM   #4597
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Bit of an arm wrestle between Scotland and France so far. 12-12 at HT.

Slight Scrum dominance for the French but a relatively close match.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 05:19 PM   #4598
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
I'm not so sure - we had less turnovers then you so I'm not entirely convinced that defined the game.

And personally I'd rather have the stats in my favour -even in defeat - because it gives something to work with. No possession and a 1000 tackles made wouldn't provide much positivity

But the stats you needed to go in your favour included the set piece and clearly that didn't happen.

One out runners - agree - I was coaching that out of 9 year olds so it's baffling why it exists at International level and if you're getting the ball at any age you need to be running on to it. Again, I'm always a bit surprised seeing top level players taking it standing still.

And there was some space as you mentioned and thats the bit where I thought Ireland were lacking - lots of possession but not much creativity. Akee doesn't help IMO (although I thought he had one of his better games), because even though he commits defenders and makes yards, the ball invariably dies with him; he doesn't have the dent and off load quality of someone like Tuilagi.

On Eddie J, no one in England liked him before he was our coach but he grows on you now that he is. It would be the same if he was coaching Ireland and by all accounts the players love him. Plus I think he's actually a lot more humble than you see him on TV where he's invariably the pantomime villain. In his book he comes across as far more humble and aware of his deficiencies.
Jones reminds me of Mourinho

His book - no thanks
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 05:33 PM   #4599
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 41,354
Yeah, I’ll not be reading Eddie Jones book either. Can’t stand him. He’s been a good coach for England, but he’s a prick.

France score a try and we get a pen back. 15-19.
__________________
Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 05:51 PM   #4600
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Jones reminds me of Mourinho

His book - no thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yeah, Iíll not be reading Eddie Jones book either. Canít stand him. Heís been a good coach for England, but heís a prick.

France score a try and we get a pen back. 15-19.

Wait until he coaches your respective teams You may not love him - I won't pretend I do and I'm doubtful many England fans do - but I can laugh at the shit he comes out with rather than being wound up by it.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > General > General Sports

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.