It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 13-11-14, 09:51 PM   #801
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Oh dear.

Has he hit a first serve in yet?
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-14, 09:52 PM   #802
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Like a man against a boy ffs. He must feel like walking off
Old 13-11-14, 09:54 PM   #803
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I'd be tempted to attack Federer on the change over.
Old 13-11-14, 09:55 PM   #804
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I'd be tempted to attack Federer on the change over.
More entertaining if he walked over and smacked Mourinho.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-14, 09:55 PM   #805
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

His second serve is the worst I've seen from a top level tennis player. It's abject. I'm amazed he's won what he's won with it tbh.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-14, 09:58 PM   #806
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

What is happening here?!
Old 13-11-14, 10:04 PM   #807
mick the click
Tail Tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
His second serve is the worst I've seen from a top level tennis player. It's abject. I'm amazed he's won what he's won with it tbh.
It's deteriorated, big time. Used to be better.

Murray's got the game, but not the head for the game. Embarrassing.
mick the click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-14, 10:06 PM   #808
mick the click
Tail Tweaker

This is going to be the biggest embarrassment of Murray's career. So far.
Old 13-11-14, 10:09 PM   #809
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

2nd serve ace
Old 13-11-14, 10:10 PM   #810
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 13-11-14, 10:17 PM   #811
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

My overall opinion here is that though that was a horrible loss. It is one he should put behind him.

His game is better than it was for the most part of the year. But, his level needs to go up a fair bit to get back to the level he was at challenging for Slams. Can he do that? I think he has the game to, but its the head (as Mick said) along with the serve that needs fixing. He needs to get back to the way he was playing with Lendl, and for that maybe he needs to find a new Lendl. I find it hard to believe Mauresmo is the answer to his coaching problems.
Old 13-11-14, 10:17 PM   #812
mick the click
Tail Tweaker

Not sure if Muresmo's (sp?) going to survive. Someone needs to go.

Hodgson?
Old 13-11-14, 10:21 PM   #813
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Damn, that was weak and completes a pitiful season for him, won a few bum tournaments but at the mo he's just making the numbers up in the rest, dunno whats up with him unless the back stuff has taken 20% from him.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-14, 10:22 PM   #814
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick the click View Post
Not sure if Muresmo's (sp?) going to survive. Someone needs to go.

Hodgson?

Always get rid of Hosdgson.
Old 13-11-14, 10:23 PM   #815
mick the click
Tail Tweaker

Quote:

Always get rid of Hosdgson.
Yeah, both of them.
Old 13-11-14, 10:26 PM   #816
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

I blame Parry.

I think his days competing for Slams are over. He's so far behind the top guys now due to that back injury which seems to have really effected his game, especially his serve. Yeah, he's better than he was tonight, but even at his peak towards the end of this year he wasn't able to live with the big boys.
Old 13-11-14, 10:27 PM   #817
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Damn, that was weak and completes a pitiful season for him, won a few bum tournaments but at the mo he's just making the numbers up in the rest, dunno whats up with him unless the back stuff has taken 20% from him.
Murrays a fighter.

Much as he kicked on from the crushing blow of losing his first Wimbleon final to come back and win it the next year, if there is one sportsman who will learn from a loss like that it is Murray.

I wonder if killing his self by playing what was it 25 matches in 36 days was a good idea, when you end that by playing the best, who have rested a bit over the same period.

A chastening defeat for sure, it is the response in January that will be intriguing.
Old 13-11-14, 10:30 PM   #818
mick the click
Tail Tweaker

This is going to be a big break for Murray and he's got some decisions to make.

I just wonder if he's going to take some independent advice. I reckon his team is too comfy - I don't think any of them are going to turn around and tell him to get his act together.

He needs serves, 1 and 2. Or quit.

He needs to stay aggressive from the first match to the last in tourneys.

I still think he'll win another slam or two. But then again, I'm not going to put money on it.
Old 13-11-14, 10:35 PM   #819
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick the click View Post
This is going to be a big break for Murray and he's got some decisions to make.

I just wonder if he's going to take some independent advice. I reckon his team is too comfy - I don't think any of them are going to turn around and tell him to get his act together.

He needs serves, 1 and 2. Or quit.

He needs to stay aggressive from the first match to the last in tourneys.

I still think he'll win another slam or two. But then again, I'm not going to put money on it.

He should read Agassi's autobiography and speak to him for advice on how to fight your way out of a trough.
Old 14-11-14, 10:38 AM   #820
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Not bad pay for 54 minutes work though Andy
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-14, 10:41 AM   #821
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.andymurray.com/feature/wo...finals-column/

Quote:
Roger was really exceptional on Thursday night, it was the best heís ever played against me, but I was disappointed with my performance. Thereís no denying how much it hurts.

At 6-0 and a break down, I wasnít worrying about losing the match 6-0 6-0 so much as trying to string a couple of points together and maybe start thinking about winning a game. I knew he was struggling to handle my demon second serve but I just couldn't make it count.

It was the first time Iíd been in that position in my whole career and I hope it never happens again.

This year has been testing and Iíve learned a lot along the way, itís just a shame to finish it with another very harsh lesson. Iím sure it will be a tough one to look back in the future.

Maybe I can use it as motivation, although thatís never really been an issue for me. I just have to remember that this time last year I was at home doing my rehab after back surgery and watching bits and pieces of the matches on TV. It wasnít easy.

Sometimes Iíd gone into the Paris Masters at the end of the year feeling quite tired, whereas last year I was watching it thinking: ĎIíd love to be there.í When you see guys competing, you realise how much you miss that.

Over the last few months Iíd really started to enjoy my tennis again after struggling earlier in the year. My back had still been giving me some trouble when I thought that doing the rehab meant it would be fine.

That wasnít the case, and I was completely wrong to expect it to be like that.

Then the split happened with my coach, Ivan Lendl, and that was tough too. I brought Amelie Mauresmo into the team over the summer and for the last two or three months you would say it has gone well.

A match like Thursday nightís is extremely disappointing for me though. I need to make sure when Iím going into those big matches that I have everything covered and Iím totally clear about what I want to do. Thatís something I need to look at.

So what have I learned this year? Well, firstly that going through surgery is not something I want to repeat, so Iíll try and take better care of my body in future.

I also learned that when you do spend three or four months away from the court, the other guys get better.

People often like to compare generations and ask whether Roger would have beaten someone like Rod Laver. The surgery made me realise that while youíre away the game moves on even in the space of a few months.

The other guys continue to make slight improvements, your level drops and they just get a bit further away from you. To catch up with them takes time and, in my case, this year I ran out of time.

I clearly wasnít at the top level by the end of the year and Iím going to need to put in a lot of work to get back there, which might mean changing my plans for the off-season.

Iíve got my friend Ross Hutchinsís wedding next week and Iím the best man Ė I canít say my confidence levels are sky high right now but Iím sure the speech will go OK. I had then planned to head to Miami in the first week of December, but if I want to make changes to my game it will take a lot longer than 10 days of practice.

There wonít be drastic alterations to my game but Thursday night was not good enough, and even against the best players I should be giving myself opportunities to win games, sets and matches.

The good thing is I now have time to think about a few things and then go and work on them. A week is a long time in tennis, things can change quickly, and I know I can do what is necessary to sustain a higher level consistently. My goals remain as high as ever and the next target is already clear Ė to try and win the Australian Open.

Thanks for your support during the year and in London over the last week, Iím just sorry I couldnít have done better, but Iíll work as hard as possible to come back stronger in 2015.
Old 14-11-14, 10:54 AM   #822
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:

He should read Agassi's autobiography and speak to him for advice
What advice would that be??

To wear a wig and spend most of the game worrying about it falling off
Old 14-11-14, 11:04 AM   #823
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

The game is so fast now, my daughter is 9 and has been playing at club level for a couple of years some of the kids at the club are really good players but they have zero chance of making it.

This year we went to Wimbledon and when you see the professionals and the speed of their shots and movement its hard for your eye / head to keep up

Then you watch 16 year old kids hitting 110 mph serves and them being comfortably returned then you realise how far advanced some of these players are

TV just doesnt do justice to the speed of the game its is absolutely immense when you see it up close
Old 16-11-14, 06:37 PM   #824
RichC
Meh

Federer has pulled out of the final so Djokovic win
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-14, 06:43 PM   #825
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

What a joke. "Not match fit"? He was yesterday. Exhibition v Murray instead!
Old 16-11-14, 06:43 PM   #826
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Muzza playing Novak now. I'm assuming Novak has agreed to take it easy or let him win!
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-14, 07:17 PM   #827
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
What advice would that be??

To wear a wig and spend most of the game worrying about it falling off
Nah - the taking some Crystal Meth and then climbing back to the top

The bit about the wig in Agassis Auto is ridiculous.
Old 16-11-14, 07:19 PM   #828
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
What a joke. "Not match fit"? He was yesterday. Exhibition v Murray instead!

WTF.

The entire tournament is kind of rendered pointless.
Old 16-11-14, 09:20 PM   #829
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I see Muzza lost 8-5
Old 16-11-14, 09:53 PM   #830
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I see Muzza lost 8-5
i wonder if he'll go back and ask Ivan Lendl to be his coach again?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 10:12 AM   #831
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

It was lendl who ended the arrangement, so I doubt it.
Old 17-11-14, 11:35 AM   #832
Carras_Shin_Pads
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post
Federer has pulled out of the final so Djokovic win
Gutted for Fed, he was playing some good tennis

Keegan
Carras_Shin_Pads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-14, 01:35 PM   #833
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...-on-court.html
Old 18-11-14, 02:14 PM   #834
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

I've said it before there's something about Federer and his wife I don't like. I find him very condescending at times. I much prefer Djokovic and Nadal, who both seem like great guys.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-14, 02:45 PM   #835
Scratch
If you fail once....

Ah, Djokovic and Nadal, the two guys who, when losing on court, seem to start feigning injuries and calling for the trainer. Nadal is especially good at this tactic, getting himself a nice leg massage whilst the other guy sits in his chair, stiffening up.
Old 18-11-14, 03:35 PM   #836
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Ah, Djokovic and Nadal, the two guys who, when losing on court, seem to start feigning injuries and calling for the trainer. Nadal is especially good at this tactic, getting himself a nice leg massage whilst the other guy sits in his chair, stiffening up.
Bullshit like this goes on in every sport nowadays

It is what is lovingly referred to as "gamesmanship"

The sad thing is, its not just confined to the higher levels of sport, young kids are trying this sort of crap as well

What surprises me is how other players can get sucked in mentally to these sort of games and let it affect them
Old 27-12-14, 12:34 PM   #837
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 27-12-14, 12:41 PM   #838
RichC
Meh

Good on him
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 03:40 PM   #839
RichC
Meh

Murray giving Nadal an absolute tonking