It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 17-11-20, 06:55 PM   #1201
dom9
Ant Pisser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54977370

Quote:
Fans return to matches: Government exploring potential return for December

The government is exploring the potential for fans to return to sports venues in some parts of England as early as next month.

According to sources, Prime Minister Boris Johnson privately indicated to MPs on Monday that re-opening turnstiles as soon as possible was "a personal priority".

The Department of Media, Culture and Sport (DCMS) is now working on allowing fans into stadia in areas where rates of infections are deemed sufficiently low - possibly before Christmas.

Sports had previously been told to brace themselves for the threat of having no crowds until April.

On Tuesday, the government said it had held "constructive" talks with football leaders on the return of fans, along with issues such as governance reforms, financial sustainability, and greater diversity.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, who hosted a 90-minute 'virtual future of football' summit, said: "I want to work together with football to make progress on important issues for the game's long-term future.

"Discussions to continue as we start our fan-led review of governance."

Football must address dementia scandal, says Stiles family
Any proposals to link access to sports grounds with the tier-system that was in place before the second national lockdown came into force earlier this month, are yet to be finalised or approved by the Cabinet Office.

But officials are known to be increasingly keen to come up with a plan that would enable a phased return of fans in Tier One and possibly Tier Two areas of the country, if the lockdown is lifted, as hoped, in early December.

In a devastating blow to cash-strapped sports bodies, plans for a partial return of spectators from 1 October were scrapped amid a rise in coronavirus cases.

Turnstiles have been closed since March, despite sports insisting that pilot events with socially-distanced crowds have been achieved safely.

There has been further controversy because some arts venues, such as the O2 and Royal Albert Hall, will be allowed to host audiences of up to 5,000 people next month, leading to accusations of inconsistency and favouritism from the sports industry.

Last week during a parliamentary debate on the issue, the government refused to say when it expects spectators to be allowed back inside sports venues in England. Almost 200,000 people have signed petitions calling for fans to be able to return.

However, there are fears that opening stadia could lead to a greater risk of transmission.

"Everyone's saying, 'can I get back to my stadium?'" Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said last week.

"You times that by multiple levels, leagues and sports, and all of a sudden we've got a whole scale far beyond what is acceptable at this moment in time."

But, in what will come as a major boost to sport, there now seems to have been a shift in approach.

The Premier League's failure to reach a financial bail-out agreement with the EFL was also discussed at the summit, with ministers known to be increasingly frustrated at the deadlock.

Reform to the system of parachute payments for relegated clubs was mooted at a meeting designed to get the sport's authorities to work together after recent tensions over the potential rescue package and the emergence of radical restructure proposals.
Old 17-11-20, 07:02 PM   #1202
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
I know that everyone in football wants to get fans back in the stadia for a range of reasons but until this virus is properly under control this seems like a bad idea to me.
Old 18-11-20, 10:34 AM   #1203
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Seems almost impossible to imagine fans in grounds pre Christmas given where we are right now.

If there is a list of priorities you’d imagine this is quite low on it right now.
Old 18-11-20, 10:57 AM   #1204
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I know that everyone in football wants to get fans back in the stadia for a range of reasons but until this virus is properly under control this seems like a bad idea to me.

If test, track and trace is done properly and the technology is fast and efficient, then I can see no reason why we wouldn’t be able to start to get some normality back again, in a phased way obviously.

Lockdown has its own issues.
Old 18-11-20, 10:59 AM   #1205
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
If test, track and trace is done properly and the technology is fast and efficient, then I can see no reason why we wouldn’t be able to start to get some normality back again, in a phased way obviously.

Lockdown has its own issues.
The biggest issue is that gargantuan monolith sized first ‘if’ you mention.

IF we get the ‘r’ number down and a fit for purpose track and trace a lot of things become possible. IF.
Old 18-11-20, 11:06 AM   #1206
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

IF we get the ‘r’ number down and a fit for purpose track and trace a lot of things become possible. IF.

Well yeah. I would hope we’d start to be on top of this, since it will be a year since this all started.

As to the issue at hand, no fans in stadiums, it’s not the bigger clubs which are suffering the most, but the smaller ones.
Old 18-11-20, 01:48 PM   #1207
Exiled_red
Paisley

The track and trace system is nowhere near fit for purpose, if it were we probably wouldn't be facing anywhere near the level of restrictions that many areas of the country are currently under.

I am aware of many of the issues that small clubs in particular but as much as I love football at a time where you can't see your family and friends inside your home or go to shops and buy non essential items, getting people back into football grounds has to be really low down any list of priorities.
Old 18-11-20, 02:00 PM   #1208
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Well yeah. I would hope we’d start to be on top of this, since it will be a year since this all started.

As to the issue at hand, no fans in stadiums, it’s not the bigger clubs which are suffering the most, but the smaller ones.

It should be achievable, but it seems to be a statement way out of synch with what is happening in society.
Old 18-11-20, 03:05 PM   #1209
Fredo

Quote:

It should be achievable, but it seems to be a statement way out of synch with what is happening in society.

Yeah agree. Wished the govt would be a bit more competent by sorting this out rather than them wasting money on other stuff.
Old 18-11-20, 03:57 PM   #1210
S-RED
Dalglish

Arsenal player has tested positive in Bosnia now...... This weekends results could be interesting, with 16 prem test positive & all those on int duty
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 04:33 PM   #1211
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 23-11-20, 05:22 PM   #1212
Fredo

Last I heard is the whole country will be in the highest tier after the current restrictions so not sure how this will work.
Old 23-11-20, 05:36 PM   #1213
npinn001
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You can see why they have done it. For smaller clubs this would be a massive lifeline and would ease any potential Govmnt bailouts.

Not sure 4,000 fans in a stadium like Anfield is a good idea, imagine you can hear alot of what the fans shout quite clearly!
npinn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 05:37 PM   #1214
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
There must be a minimum volume of people to make it cost effective for staffing etc - how do you let 4000 people into Anfield - is that all stands open or half.....
Still though - great to get fans back
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 06:52 PM   #1215
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
There must be a minimum volume of people to make it cost effective for staffing etc - how do you let 4000 people into Anfield - is that all stands open or half.....
Still though - great to get fans back
I reckon they will ramp up the number pretty quickly once the logistics have been worked out in terms of who gets the tickets/tavel arrangements etc

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 08:29 PM   #1216
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
4,000 fans in a venue that can hold 8k is very different from 4k in a stadium like Anfield. Concourses and extrances/exits will see fans packed much closer together albeit only for brief moments and not a longer time that might increase risk of exposure. Still, I suppose it is better than nothing and will give them an idea of how workable it is for those numbers to increase.
Old 23-11-20, 08:38 PM   #1217
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Didn't they do similar numbers in Germany? Although the highlights i watched recent suggests the fans have been axed again.
Old 23-11-20, 09:22 PM   #1218
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:

Thats a big if
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 09:16 AM   #1219
Scratch
If you fail once....

I wonder if at some point the next step will be "tickets will only be provided to those who provide proof of vaccination", similar to what Qantas (and probably most other airlines) will be introducing? Would fans stand for that?
Old 24-11-20, 02:13 PM   #1220
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I wonder if at some point the next step will be "tickets will only be provided to those who provide proof of vaccination", similar to what Qantas (and probably most other airlines) will be introducing? Would fans stand for that?
Most would but I think a not insignificant minority would be challenging it.
Old 26-11-20, 03:41 PM   #1221
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Liverpool in tier 2, which - I think - means there's a chance that 2,000 fans could be at Anfield for the Wolves game next week?!
Old 26-11-20, 03:44 PM   #1222
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Liverpool in tier 2, which - I think - means there's a chance that 2,000 fans could be at Anfield for the Wolves game next week?!

Is that all in one stand?
Old 26-11-20, 04:06 PM   #1223
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

No idea but would guess spread around the ground?
Old 26-11-20, 04:32 PM   #1224
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
No idea but would guess spread around the ground?
You'd imagine the clubs would want them in a single stand to keep the costs down.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-20, 06:56 PM   #1225
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
You'd imagine the clubs would want them in a single stand to keep the costs down.
That’s what I think but wondering where is the balance between the number of fans into the ground not to be running at a loss
Old 27-11-20, 07:02 AM   #1226
rodo
Shankly

supposed to be just 2000 in the main stand I`ve got zero interest in going till its at least 50%
Old 27-11-20, 07:08 AM   #1227
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

How on earth do they decide which season ticket holders are eligible? I assume some sort of lottery.
Old 27-11-20, 07:19 AM   #1228
rodo
Shankly

I would assume the first few would just be some sort of ballot and an L postcode
Old 27-11-20, 08:45 AM   #1229
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Is it true the club has contacted all hospitality members first?
Old 27-11-20, 09:28 AM   #1230
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Is it true the club has contacted all hospitality members first?
Surely not?

Can't imagine Klopp would be happy about that either to be honest!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 09:34 AM   #1231
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Surely not?

Can't imagine Klopp would be happy about that either to be honest!
Saw one tweet saying:

Quote:
Really pleased that the reds have reached out to us hospitality members first. Makes sense! We can socially distance in the box and will provide much needed revenue for the club. Great news!
Old 27-11-20, 10:09 AM   #1232
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah some sort of season ticket ballot surely the solution here?
Old 27-11-20, 10:36 AM   #1233
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Yeah some sort of season ticket ballot surely the solution here?
There should be a balance between the two IMO - as much as it irks me we need both. Hospitality is a big source of necessary income
Old 27-11-20, 03:01 PM   #1234
Pepe79
Dalglish

Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 03:02 PM   #1235
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 27-11-20, 03:04 PM   #1236
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Liverpool Football Club is planning to welcome supporters back to Anfield for the Premier League match against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday December 6.
  • Club planning for supporters to return at Wolves game
  • Priority is public health and safety throughout new process
  • 2,000 tickets available
  • Applications from Liverpool City Region only
  • Paperless tickets using mobile phone technology
  • Fans encouraged to take COVID-19 test ahead of game

The Liverpool City Region has been placed in Tier 2 restrictions, so Anfield could be permitted to operate with a maximum of 2,000 supporters, in the interest of public health and safety.

The club has been working closely with its city partners, Liverpool City Council, Merseyside Police and Spirit of Shankly to create a robust plan which is in line with government guidance and prioritises the safety of the local community, supporters, staff, players and emergency services.

Those plans will need to be ratified by the council’s Ground Safety Advisory Group next week.

All city partners are encouraging those supporters who do attend this game to take a test either the day before or day of the game. Anfield’s Kop Bar will continue to be one of the city’s mass testing centres and will be open on matchdays.

A minimum of 75 per cent of the 2,000 tickets available for the Wolves fixture will be used for general admission, which is aligned to the ratio used when the stadium is at full capacity. The remaining tickets will be allocated to hospitality supporters, players and to meet contractual obligations. Only Anfield’s Main Stand will be in use for the Wolves fixture.

LFC will launch a ballot process to allocate the tickets available for this fixture. Guidance and support from the city’s public health team has outlined that the ballot will only be open to supporters who live within the Liverpool City Region. Supporters must also be a season ticket holder or current official Member with 19 credits from the 2018-19 Premier League season who have completed Fan Update.

Ticket prices for games with a significantly reduced capacity will not be set at the usual price points. They are based on a weighted average of general admission and seasonal ticket prices across the stadium. An adult general admission ticket will cost £44.92 and concessional ticket prices will also be based on the same weighted average calculation.

Fans can enter the ballot via an online system in the coming days, which will require them to provide their details and those they wish to attend with. Supporters will be allocated an individually-spaced seat to minimise the risk to public health and fellow supporters.

Before entering the ballot, fans must refer to a new supporter code of conduct and, if successful, complete a health declaration questionnaire at the point of ticket purchase to ensure they comply with the new guidelines that will be in place to make Anfield as safe as possible for everybody present.

The club will also be rolling out NFC technology to manage access and understand who is in the stadium. The use of NFC technology will allow fans to gain access to the stadium using an electronic ticket on their smartphone to minimise physical contact.

The ticket ballot application process and supporter code of conduct will be launched in the coming days on a new dedicated website hub which will provide full guidance.
Old 27-11-20, 03:08 PM   #1237
RichC
Meh

So it's not "hospitality first" then. Problems with twitter and social media in a nutshell.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 03:18 PM   #1238
spud_gun
Paisley

How good would it be to be amongst the first ones back in the ground to cheer us on as Champions.

Lucky bastards
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC