It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 12-09-18, 01:03 PM   #41
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Do you not think the lack of funding, coverage and promotion to females with consequently lower levels of participation in this 'male' sport is the reason the skill gap is quite so huge? Contrast with tennis which enjoys a more equal footing and so much smaller gap, to the point where top female athletes are acknowledged as outstanding in their own right in spite of any gap.
The ladies put on a show in tennis, like they do in football. Actually I don't mind the womens football, but like own brand crunchy nut cornflakes vs Kellogs, you have to accept that its a different thing. Their touch and passing is great, they get time. But pace and goalkeeping especially, are in another world.

To just go back to the point about tennis, they now get equal pay for less time on court and less bums on seats. Every advantage mentioned above has been removed and yet it is still a vastly inferior product.

We have also had various 'Battles of the Sexes' with varying levels of seriousness:

A 29yr old Billy Jean King at her prime did beat a 55yr old retired ex-pro in the 70's. He had previously beaten Margaret Court a few months earlier. These were the stand out female players of that generation. Rumours of the guy betting against himself or throwing it to clear gambling debts were never verified. Still a 26 year age gap was in effect.

A 40yr old Jimmy Connors beat a 35yr old Navratilova in straight sets.

More recently: From Wiki

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters

Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager". The matches took place after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2. Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun". Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle.

2003: Yannick Noah vs. Justine Henin

In December 2003, Yannick Noah and Justine Henin played a friendly match at the Forest National in Brussels. Noah donned a dress for much of the match. He played predominantly trick shots and slices, but still ended up winning 4–6, 6–4, 7–6.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 12-09-18, 01:40 PM   #42
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
The ladies put on a show in tennis, like they do in football. Actually I don't mind the womens football, but like own brand crunchy nut cornflakes vs Kellogs, you have to accept that its a different thing. Their touch and passing is great, they get time. But pace and goalkeeping especially, are in another world.

To just go back to the point about tennis, they now get equal pay for less time on court and less bums on seats. Every advantage mentioned above has been removed and yet it is still a vastly inferior product.

We have also had various 'Battles of the Sexes' with varying levels of seriousness:

A 29yr old Billy Jean King at her prime did beat a 55yr old retired ex-pro in the 70's. He had previously beaten Margaret Court a few months earlier. These were the stand out female players of that generation. Rumours of the guy betting against himself or throwing it to clear gambling debts were never verified. Still a 26 year age gap was in effect.

A 40yr old Jimmy Connors beat a 35yr old Navratilova in straight sets.

More recently: From Wiki

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters

Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager". The matches took place after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2. Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun". Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle.

2003: Yannick Noah vs. Justine Henin

In December 2003, Yannick Noah and Justine Henin played a friendly match at the Forest National in Brussels. Noah donned a dress for much of the match. He played predominantly trick shots and slices, but still ended up winning 4–6, 6–4, 7–6.
Not sure whether that was in response to my argument or just quoted as it mentions tennis?

Argument was never that there isn't a gap. It's that the enormity of the gap in football is not nearly accounted for by biology.
Old 12-09-18, 02:58 PM   #43
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

I think the performance gap is just as huge in tennis despite equalising pretty much all other factors.

I'd argue that football exaggerates the biological differences more than tennis, with some actual contact and competing for the same balls etc.
Old 12-09-18, 03:33 PM   #44
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by topscorer View Post
Sorry but you are talking complete bullshit.

So you like fast football, fair enough so do I.

But again you are dismissing women by saying they are slow and all men are fast and all men's football is fast. Erm like Italian football for example.

Their are many ways to play football, fast slow long short defensive attacking.
I think womens football lacks toxic masculinity
Old 12-09-18, 03:44 PM   #45
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
I think the performance gap is just as huge in tennis despite equalising pretty much all other factors.

I'd argue that football exaggerates the biological differences more than tennis, with some actual contact and competing for the same balls etc.
I think if you compare fitness levels, and how important that is now, that directly affects how you play. Gegen pressing would never have worked 20 years ago

I know I have gone on a mazey run or two in my time, only to end up toepunting toward the corner flag because I was too knackered to do anything else.

I can only imagine fitness levels will widen further between the genders before they close.
Old 14-09-18, 02:59 PM   #46
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 14-09-18, 03:03 PM   #47
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 14-09-18, 03:09 PM   #48
topscorer
Dalglish

He didn't last long, something is seriously wrong in the LFC Women's camp me thinks.

BBC

Liverpool Women boss Neil Redfearn has resigned after three months in charge of the Women's Super League club.

Former Leeds United, Rotherham United and Doncaster Rovers Belles manager Redfearn replaced Scott Rogers in June.

But the Reds lost both of their first two competitive matches under the 53-year-old, including a 5-0 defeat by Arsenal on Sunday.

The club have yet to announce who will be in charge for the Continental Cup game against Durham on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45525045
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 03:11 PM   #49
topscorer
Dalglish

Chris Kirkland temporary Manager!

LFC

Neil Redfearn has left his role as head coach of Liverpool FC Women, having resigned with immediate effect.

The club would like to thank Neil for his work in rebuilding the squad ahead of the 2018-19 season and wish him the best of luck for the future.

Former Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland, who joined the Women's backroom team as goalkeeping coach in the summer, will take charge of the side as caretaker-manager, supported by assistant manager Vicky Jepson.

The focus of the coaching staff and players is now on Sunday's Continental Tyres Cup fixture against Durham Women FC.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/wom...rpool-fc-women
Old 14-09-18, 05:21 PM   #50
kev776
Paisley

kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 06:56 PM   #51
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Wtf.

Are the American owners involved in running the women's team? We should be in unisson in wanting to achieve the same level of success in both the women and men's game and this is worrying.
Old 14-09-18, 07:04 PM   #52
Fredo

Old 14-09-18, 08:17 PM   #53
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Wtf.

Are the American owners involved in running the women's team? We should be in unisson in wanting to achieve the same level of success in both the women and men's game and this is worrying.
No.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-18, 03:15 AM   #54
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

I wonder if Kirkland sometimes eats bits of himself with mango chutney?
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-18, 03:26 PM   #55
topscorer
Dalglish

Liverpool women won today. BBC website :-

Substitute Rinsola Babajide scored managerless Liverpool's winner to keep Brighton still awaiting their first Women's Super League point.

With just five minutes left, Babajide's 20-yard shot crept in for the Reds, who were playing their first WSL match since Neil Redfearn's resignation.

Kayleigh Green headed just over as Brighton failed to find an equaliser.

Hope Powell's side have lost all three games 1-0 in their first season since being accepted into the top tier.
Old 30-07-19, 04:24 PM   #56
Yozza
Shankly

Liverpool Women's pre-season tour with men's team a sign of changing status

Good read this; about time & it makes perfect sense

WE ARE LIVERPOOL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49152793

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-19, 06:42 PM   #57
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Liverpool Women's pre-season tour with men's team a sign of changing status

Good read this; about time & it makes perfect sense

WE ARE LIVERPOOL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49152793
That is lovely alright.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 12:08 PM   #58
Yozza
Shankly

Chelsea have been named winners of the Women's Super League title on a points-per-game ratio, while Liverpool have been relegated.

When the season was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic in March, Chelsea were one point behind leaders Manchester City with a game in hand.

Aston Villa, who were top of the Championship, will replace the WSL's bottom club Liverpool next season.

The Reds said they are "disappointed" with how the season has been concluded.

Where did it go wrong for Liverpool?

As two-time winners, Liverpool are the WSL's highest-profile relegated side since the breakaway league began in 2011.

Vicky Jepson's team won just one and drew three of their 14 completed matches this season, but with more than a third of their original 22-game campaign unplayed, they had held high hopes of getting out of trouble on the field.

With eight games left, they were one point adrift of 11th-placed Birmingham City, but Blues had a game in hand on the Reds.

Scoring goals has been an issue for Liverpool, who netted only eight times in their 14 league games in 2019-20.

In the previous season, they managed more than one goal per game and finished eighth.

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 02:55 PM   #59
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Now more than ever they need that £10m per season investment Arn promised.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 03:03 PM   #60
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Now more than ever they need that £10m per season investment Arn promised.
I think of that literally every time I hear something about the women's team

Club should at least get Insua in as coach.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 05-06-20, 03:25 PM   #61
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Wasn't it £20m?
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 03:57 PM   #62
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

8 games to play and one point from safety, with the four relegation candidates immediately ahead all having worse GDs. Seems totally mental to get relegated from that situation.
Old 05-06-20, 04:41 PM   #63
Liverpool
Paisley

6 points from 14 games they can have no complaints. FSG out
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:52 PM   #64
topscorer
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
6 points from 14 games they can have no complaints. FSG out

They've been woeful this season.

I don't know how much of it is down to having funding cut off by FSG and how much is down to the Manager.
Old 12-11-20, 11:13 AM   #65
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 12-11-20, 02:18 PM   #66
Tribute
Shankly

Surely physical aspect has to come into it - surely it must hurt at least a bit... if a woman chests a ball at pace in the wrong area (if you know what I mean) much like a free kick in the nads for men is a 'moment in time' stopper. Muscle and body strength plays to the fast pace of the men's game, so as women's training and investment improves so will the speed and skill of the game, surely? But saying that, there'll always be a marked difference in physicality between the two though.

Edit - great goal that by Rinsola Babajide btw

Last edited by Tribute; 12-11-20 at 02:21 PM.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-20, 10:54 AM   #67
brightred
Befuddled

Oh who cares.
Old 18-11-20, 09:01 PM   #68
Fredo

Everton women vs Liverpool women playing at the moment, 1-0 Everton. It’s free to air on LFCTV and it’s a good game.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC