It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 16-11-20, 01:12 AM   #841
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Perhaps that's the reason why he wants to move, the fact he's not being given the freedom to play a bit more?

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 04:12 AM   #842
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
Perhaps that's the reason why he wants to move, the fact he's not being given the freedom to play a bit more?
Yeah Iím inclined to agree
Old 16-11-20, 08:05 AM   #843
Harv
Randy Marsh

He gets plenty of chances for us. His finishing is shit though most of the time. Loves to drag them wide Gini.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 09:32 AM   #844
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
He gets plenty of chances for us. His finishing is shit though most of the time. Loves to drag them wide Gini.
It's more the position than the chances. He usually played as an attacking midfielder or in the Mane position before he came here. There was even an interview a while ago saying that he wasn't sure if he could play in this midfield position anymore as he hadn't played it in many years.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 09:49 AM   #845
Exiled_red
Paisley

I'm not really sure he does get that many chances, most of the time he's probably gets one a game not usually a great one either. That's how it feels to me.
Old 16-11-20, 12:33 PM   #846
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
imo it is a big reason why he'd want to leave.
Old 16-11-20, 12:47 PM   #847
BigChief
Paisley

Who here as manager would drop one of Salah, Mane, Firmino or now Jota so Gini could play a more shackleless game? Not me. Not because we desperately need Gini in a defensive role as we have Fab and Hendo, but simply because Gini's attacking stats are poor in relation to our world class attackers. This includes ball rotation, speed to run past players, vision, etc, not to mention goals versus shots. His international form is irrelevant (aka the Poborsky Conundrum).

I don't blame him if he wants to move so he can try that part of the game out. I probably would too. It just won't happen with us.
Old 16-11-20, 12:56 PM   #848
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
Who here as manager would drop one of Salah, Mane, Firmino or now Jota so Gini could play a more shackleless game? Not me. Not because we desperately need Gini in a defensive role as we have Fab and Hendo, but simply because Gini's attacking stats are poor in relation to our world class attackers. This includes ball rotation, speed to run past players, vision, etc, not to mention goals versus shots. His international form is irrelevant (aka the Poborsky Conundrum).

I don't blame him if he wants to move so he can try that part of the game out. I probably would too. It just won't happen with us.
This is his 5th season and to my memory has never played as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 or out left in the 4-3-3 even when there were injuries other players were preferred. Prior to Jota, I would have preferred to see him on the left to Origi, but he was never given the nod. I think that says more than enough of where Klopp sees his qualities most valuable.

His composure is strange though, when he scores it seems so natural. Then when he misses a simple chance, you almost scratch your head and wonder how he's scored any at all.
Old 16-11-20, 01:09 PM   #849
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:

You wouldn't need to drop one of our attackers, just play him further forward in the midfield 3 as we did in the first two games of the season.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 03:48 PM   #850
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
You wouldn't need to drop one of our attackers, just play him further forward in the midfield 3 as we did in the first two games of the season.
Hasn't Klopp done this on a regular basis? Specially when the three had been Hendo-Fab-Gini or Hendo-Milner-Gini before Fab came along? Remember Keita has been pretty much injured for most of his career here.

The stats can't have been good reading for the moneyball experts. Not to mention our own eyes. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Gini is an elite level defensive midfielder but only Newcastle level attacking mid. And we're not Newcastle.
Old 16-11-20, 04:21 PM   #851
RedReet

Quote:
Hasn't Klopp done this on a regular basis? Specially when the three had been Hendo-Fab-Gini or Hendo-Milner-Gini before Fab came along? Remember Keita has been pretty much injured for most of his career here.

The stats can't have been good reading for the moneyball experts. Not to mention our own eyes. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Gini is an elite level defensive midfielder but only Newcastle level attacking mid. And we're not Newcastle.

He generally plays on the left of our midfield 3 which is normally more disciplined than on the right, which is where Hendo often played when Fab was in the side, or our more attack minded players such as Ox, Naby and even Jones recently. Against Norwich and Chelsea this year, this was reversed and Gini was clearly instructed to play further up the field which was very noticeable in his average position and the number of chances he had.
Old 18-11-20, 10:33 PM   #852
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Scored *again* for the Dutch
Old 19-11-20, 06:14 AM   #853
RedReet

Goal scoring CB.
Old 19-11-20, 08:18 AM   #854
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He's got 13 in his last 20
Old 19-11-20, 08:21 AM   #855
Harv
Randy Marsh

Cristiano Wijnaldum type number those.

(I remember your joke when he first joined you evil bastard )

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 08:22 AM   #856
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Cristiano Wijnaldum type number those.

(I remember your joke when he first joined you evil bastard )
Old 22-11-20, 10:41 PM   #857
RedReet

Why isn't this contract situation sorted?

How important is a player like him, who is never injured and can play any position you ask him going to be in a season like this?

I really would love to know what is going on behind the scenes.
Old 22-11-20, 10:44 PM   #858
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Iím sure itís just down to cash. He deserves a huge wage, not sure we think we can afford it.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 10:45 PM   #859
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Outstanding midfielder
Old 22-11-20, 10:46 PM   #860
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Iím sure itís just down to cash. He deserves a huge wage, not sure we think we can afford it.
I refuse to believe that. From all parties I just can't see money being an obstacle.
Old 22-11-20, 10:48 PM   #861
frank the tank
Shankly

It's fuckin nuts alright. He should be given a huge wedge.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 10:49 PM   #862
Zapater
Dalglish

If it were about the money I doubt we'd let him go for free would we? We'd sign him up on a bigger contract and find him a move to secure a reasonable transfer fee after next season.
Old 22-11-20, 11:00 PM   #863
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Maybe heís decided he wants a new challenge?

Top, top player. One of the worldís best midfielders at the moment. He never loses the ball.
Old 22-11-20, 11:23 PM   #864
Exiled_red
Paisley

I thought it was that he wants 4 years and we won't offer that given his age?
Old 22-11-20, 11:28 PM   #865
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I thought it was that he wants 4 years and we won't offer that given his age?
That has been rumoured, but he'll play more in 2 years than some of our midfielders will play in 4 so just doesn't add up.
Old 23-11-20, 07:07 AM   #866
sean_lfc
Talented Mentalist

He probably wants to play with more freedom and enjoy his football in a different way. He's on his out-years, he's World, European, CWC, League champion. He bangs them in for Holland and plays a different role for us. Coupled with the contract situation... how the cookie crumbles. Nothing bad about it to be honest, he's a stellar player for the club and gives it his all. I'd wish him and his wonderful smile all the best whatever happens.
sean_lfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 07:56 AM   #867
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
That has been rumoured, but he'll play more in 2 years than some of our midfielders will play in 4 so just doesn't add up.
But in 4 years he will worth a fair bit less than in 2.

At an age where might start seeing some injuries too.. And performance 'should' start to decline.. Although he seems superhuman.

All in all if he wants more money on a longer contract then he probably needs to move.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 09:37 AM   #868
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
But in 4 years he will worth a fair bit less than in 2.

At an age where might start seeing some injuries too.. And performance 'should' start to decline.. Although he seems superhuman.

All in all if he wants more money on a longer contract then he probably needs to move.
What do you mean worth less? As in he wouldn't justify his contract?

Anyway my (half serious) point was that Wijnaldum is a machine and is rarely injured. In two years he could rack up 100+ appearances which is more than some players might manage over 4 years, so in terms of value for money, which is better?

Personally, I see Gini playing at the very top level deep into his 30's.

Totally disagree with the last line. If he wants more money and a longer contract we should give him it. As I've said before, I just don't think money is the issue with Gini, it makes no sense.
Old 23-11-20, 10:01 AM   #869
BG1973
Fagan

Well, why would you pay someone more when it's likely you'll get less out them over that period? And at the end of that period you can't get your money back.

Problem we have is he is in a position to leave on a free anyway..

Can't really see a compromise.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 10:05 AM   #870
greenturnip
Houllier

We need to find a machine to replace him. Sadly, it won't be Naby.
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 10:15 AM   #871
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 10:19 AM   #872
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
Well, why would you pay someone more when it's likely you'll get less out them over that period? And at the end of that period you can't get your money back.

Problem we have is he is in a position to leave on a free anyway..

Can't really see a compromise.
Why is it likely? And who is to say what he is asking for isn't less than what a replacement might cost?

Do you expect him to take a pay cut or stay on the same contract he agreed 4 years ago, while all other players have signed improved contracts since?

Anyway, it's a pointless discussion as we don't know if money is the issue.
Old 23-11-20, 10:20 AM   #873
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post

Although I can see this record being short lived.
Old 23-11-20, 10:22 AM   #874
spud_gun
Paisley

That's a mental stat when you think about all of the great teams we've had over the years.

It's even more remarkable when you factor in the fact we weren't the crushing machine we've been for the last two seasons when Gini first signed.

Shows the quality of Klopp's Liverpool.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 10:50 AM   #875
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Mr UNDERRATED
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 11:20 AM   #876
fowlen
Benitez

I would have no hesitation in offering him the cash and the contract.
Over the last 2 years I think he has genuinely been world class. He plays the big games, is always solid, never looses possession and technically is one of the best players on the planet.
I think he will be very similar to Millie in a few years. Gini is super fit, looks after himself really well and I can still see him doing a brilliant job for any team in his mid thirties. I also believe he will be a huge influence on the younger players. We are truely blessed to have leaders like him, Hendo and Millie
fowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 11:21 AM   #877
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
The lads that came in 2017 (Robbo, Salah etc) are, incredibly, on track to obliterate that record.

Gini is great though. I really hope he stays. But, look at Thiago, sometimes a player just wants a new challenge. He’s been a great signing, will go down on folklore for his ‘Angry Gini’ Barca performance!
Old 23-11-20, 11:44 AM   #878
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
The lads that came in 2017 (Robbo, Salah etc) are, incredibly, on track to obliterate that record.

Gini is great though. I really hope he stays. But, look at Thiago, sometimes a player just wants a new challenge. Heís been a great signing, will go down on folklore for his ĎAngry Ginií Barca performance!
If that's the case, good luck to him, but the indications are that he wants to stay but a contract can't be agreed for whatever reason.

It will be a shame to lose him.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #879
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I see Simon Hughes of the Athletic said yesterday unless something very dramatic happens there's no chance of him staying.

Here's Klopp on Gini:

Quote:
"We've had situations like this before, with Emre Can for example. He played and he gave his absolutely everything until the last day of his contract and Gini will do the same, no doubt about that. No harm to our relationship for ever."
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #880
RedReet

FFS.

Saved that article yesterday but forgot to read it.

Been available every game I think, only rested once when Thiago played against Everton.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC