It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 04-11-19, 09:25 AM   #361
baitman
Daddy day care

The whole VAR thing has been made a laughing stock and the footy media are now making it a bigger talking point then ever. It must be a worry for the refs and behind he scenes they must be struggling to get their shit together to improve things, hopefully!
The pressure is mounting.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 09:39 AM   #362
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

We won't be going back to what we had before so it will have to improve.
Old 04-11-19, 09:41 AM   #363
Fredo

At some point we won't even need referees to do those checks, it could be better technology to assist and make decisions much quicker and possibly overrule the ref's decision. It needs to be honed and bit more and there is enough money in the game to take it there.

Last edited by Fredo; 04-11-19 at 09:46 AM.
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 09:42 AM   #364
Maxiedge
Shankly

Complete overreaction to VAR imo. Iíve already previously said that VAR works well for us as a football club and we should support it.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 09:56 AM   #365
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
Complete overreaction to VAR imo. I’ve already previously said that VAR works well for us as a football club and we should support it.
Do you think it worked well for us at the weekend?

Last edited by dom9; 04-11-19 at 10:03 AM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 10:04 AM   #366
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Complete overreaction to VAR imo. Iíve already previously said that VAR works well for us as a football club and we should support it.
While I have seen it argued that it may suit our style of play, I am yet to be convinced, and while it is so inconsistent I don't see how we can be confident of that. At the moment there seems to be far too much randomness in decisions made by it.
Old 04-11-19, 10:07 AM   #367
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
I missed that. In what way does it work for us as a football club?
Old 04-11-19, 10:18 AM   #368
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Quote:
Complete overreaction to VAR imo. I’ve already previously said that VAR works well for us as a football club and we should support it.
Not much evidence of that, in fact it's quite the opposite at the moment. We still got the annual screw job at Old Trafford and are still getting disastrous officiating displays like the weekend. Not to mention other stuff like Matip being mauled in the penalty area v Newcastle etc. It's dogshite.

That decision not to give the Alli handball yesterday should have had it scrapped there and there, what a disgrace that was.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 10:19 AM   #369
Maxiedge
Shankly

1) we play a high line using the recovery pace of Van Dijk and, eventually, Joe Gomez. It’s more likely a lineman will go be the benefit of doubt to the attacking team and we’ll get offside goals given against us.

2) we are dangerous on set pieces and and are more likely to get fouled than make fouls . This might get picked up by VAR but very unlikely to be given without it.

3) we have quick skilful players that can get contact in the box.

4) we don’t make shithouse challenges and generally play the game the right way. Aren’t we always top or near about in the far play league?

Regarding the Firmino goal not given, at least we can see the workings out and try and improve on that. I think the line should have been a mm to the right and this would have put him inside. But we’re talking about millimetres here. The goal was not going to be given even without VAR as linesman flagged

Finally I would say we are top of the league with our best start ever so I don’t see any reason to change the events surrounding that.
Old 04-11-19, 10:22 AM   #370
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not much evidence of that, in fact it's quite the opposite at the moment. We still got the annual screw job at Old Trafford and are still getting disastrous officiating displays like the weekend. Not to mention other stuff like Matip being mauled in the penalty area v Newcastle etc. It's dogshite.

That decision not to give the Alli handball yesterday should have had it scrapped there and there, what a disgrace that was.
With the Matip incident, I think if that happens again, it would be given. Without VAR, no chance
Old 04-11-19, 10:38 AM   #371
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
1) we play a high line using the recovery pace of Van Dijk and, eventually, Joe Gomez. Itís more likely a lineman will go be the benefit of doubt to the attacking team and weíll get offside goals given against us.

2) we are dangerous on set pieces and and are more likely to get fouled than make fouls . This might get picked up by VAR but very unlikely to be given without it.

4) we donít make shithouse challenges and generally play the game the right way. Arenít we always top or near about in the far play league?

Regarding the Firmino goal not given, at least we can see the workings out and try and improve on that. I think the line should have been a mm to the right and this would have put him inside. But weíre talking about millimetres here. The goal was not going to be given even without VAR as linesman flagged

Finally I would say we are top of the league with our best start ever so I donít see any reason to change the events surrounding that.
Don't see what any of that has to do with VAR to be honest.

And as for point 1, it didn't exactly go for us with Firmino on Saturday.
Old 04-11-19, 10:39 AM   #372
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
1) we play a high line using the recovery pace of Van Dijk and, eventually, Joe Gomez. It’s more likely a lineman will go be the benefit of doubt to the attacking team and we’ll get offside goals given against us.

4) we don’t make shithouse challenges and generally play the game the right way. Aren’t we always top or near about in the far play league?

Regarding the Firmino goal not given, at least we can see the workings out and try and improve on that. I think the line should have been a mm to the right and this would have put him inside. But we’re talking about millimetres here. The goal was not going to be given even without VAR as linesman flagged

Finally I would say we are top of the league with our best start ever so I don’t see any reason to change the events surrounding that.
So number 1. There was no VAR last season and we conceded the fewest goals of any team, less than half the number of anyone outside the top 4. What problem was it solving for us again?

We seemed to get more pens "penalty pool" in the recent past than since VAR.

We don't make many shithouse challenges, hence being high up the fair play table, we didn't get many cards relatively and we still don't. VAR makes no difference.

I just don't see any specific benefit to us from VAR, or for the game overall.
Old 04-11-19, 10:40 AM   #373
Fredo

Yep, VAR as a thing will help these mistakes to be eradicated in the long term. It's not the technology's fault that it is being run by a bunch of incompetent referees. At least it is raising these issues even more and the ridiculousness of those decisions. Without VAR, no chance.
Old 04-11-19, 10:49 AM   #374
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Don't see what any of that has to do with VAR to be honest.

And as for point 1, it didn't exactly go for us with Firmino on Saturday.
The VAR system is there to give more right decisions than wrong and if you have an excellent side that plays the game the right way, it will pan out to be more beneficial than detrimental over the course. No point in debating isolated incidents as refs and linos weíre making these mistakes even pre VAR.
Old 04-11-19, 10:51 AM   #375
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
So number 1. There was no VAR last season and we conceded the fewest goals of any team, less than half the number of anyone outside the top 4. What problem was it solving for us again?

We seemed to get more pens "penalty pool" in the recent past than since VAR.

We don't make many shithouse challenges, hence being high up the fair play table, we didn't get many cards relatively and we still don't. VAR makes no difference.

I just don't see any specific benefit to us from VAR, or for the game overall.
Canít remember us playing such a high line last season. You could argue it because of VAR that weíre doing it now.
Old 04-11-19, 10:53 AM   #376
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
The VAR system is there to give more right decisions than wrong and if you have an excellent side that plays the game the right way, it will pan out to be more beneficial than detrimental over the course. No point in debating isolated incidents as refs and linos weíre making these mistakes even pre VAR.
Sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-11-19, 10:55 AM   #377
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

One minor point, VAR is not the technology, VAR is the referee using video to assist him. The statement that VAR works but the refs don't does not make sense.

The technology works, ie digital video recording and playback, but we've known that for a long long time. But we've also known that it doesn't lead to consistently objective and correct opinions for as long as match of the day has been on TV. We are looking for a truth that doesn't exist, and throwing technology at the problem will not help in that regard. One day we might at least achieve consistency if humans are taken out of the decision making. And consistency is the best that can possibly be achieved. Still won't mean the rules being applied consistently will be necessarily 'right'.

In the short term, VAR can at best give a human judge a better view, and if we think that's important enough to change the game to accommodate it then that advantage needs to be fully exploited, and that means giving the ref with the enhanced view control of the game. The VAR being the ref, the on-field official the communicator. Until that is adopted, VAR will not add sufficient value to justify the disruption that it causes.

Last edited by Kenneth; 04-11-19 at 10:57 AM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 11:34 AM   #378
Maxiedge
Shankly

I'd rather an incident gets highlighted and outed for it's wonky lines rather than being swept under the carpet. VAR is a work in progress and will improve and I personally welcome it.

Also, any innovation that knocks out the blueshite in the last minute of CL QF gets my vote.
Old 04-11-19, 12:36 PM   #379
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Sorry Maxi, you're wrong. It's shit. Every time a team scores, you half celebrate, pause to see if there's been some minor infringement, go full celebration when there's nowt or have to have 2 minute VAR checks and then you celebrate or not again. It's not entertainment, it kills any flow and natural exzuberance that previously existed being a fan.
Old 04-11-19, 12:43 PM   #380
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Sorry Maxi, you're wrong. It's shit. Every time a team scores, you half celebrate, pause to see if there's been some minor infringement, go full celebration when there's nowt or have to have 2 minute VAR checks and then you celebrate or not again. It's not entertainment, it kills any flow and natural exzuberance that previously existed being a fan.
I take the stoppages point more than the effectiveness of it. Maybe it's the fact that I'm sitting at home and not freezing my arse off in the cold and the stoppage of will he /won't he give it can be quite exciting.

On a completely personal level, I've thoroughly enjoyed the season so far and VAR has not really killed any previous excitement I've had for the game but I take on board other people's opinions.
Old 04-11-19, 01:24 PM   #381
Exiled_red
Paisley

I think that the reason it is not ruining our enjoyment is because results are going well at the moment and when VAR decisions have gone against us they have not proved costly. If say we had drawn on Saturday and lost to Man Utd a couple of weeks back, the decision to allow the Man Utd goal and disallow Firmino's on Saturday as well as not look at the Villa handball, I think we would be much more frustrated with VAR.
Old 04-11-19, 01:43 PM   #382
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
I think 9 times out of 10 it's okay to celebrate. You can normally tell if there is something amiss or a reason why it might get chalked off. I think the idea is to allow goals to stand unless there is something clear and obvious. The reason Firmino's goal was not given on Saturday was due to the linesman flagging which set off a chain of events that meant any overruling would have to be clear and obvious . You should only flag if you're 100% sure, otherwise let play go on and it will be decided by VAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I think that the reason it is not ruining our enjoyment is because results are going well at the moment and when VAR decisions have gone against us they have not proved costly. If say we had drawn on Saturday and lost to Man Utd a couple of weeks back, the decision to allow the Man Utd goal and disallow Firmino's on Saturday as well as not look at the Villa handball, I think we would be much more frustrated with VAR.
Carrying on from the above, yes it hasn't fucked us over to the level of having a last minute winner chalked off after celebrating and it's true that something like that could change my viewpoint but at the same time, it could work the other way and for us.
Old 04-11-19, 01:45 PM   #383
Mr Pink
Souness

Quote:

I donít think itís worked well for us so far, but tbf to most people on here, I think weíre arguing about whether itís good for the game, rather than good for LFC, and itís not good for either.

I agree that itís a work in progress and always was gonna be, but I thought it would be a lot better already than what it is. I have 2 big issues with var- it makes the game less exciting and itís not getting a lot of decisions right imo. I knew I was gonna have the first issue, but not the second.

After the city game in January, we were thinking if we had var, kompany would have walked- but the way itís being used now, he wouldnít have! Iím sure every team has their own examples, and can still say it evens out or whatever.

Making the game less exciting- we donít get as excited when we get a var goal as a non var goal. Itís about the tension being released gradually instead of all at once. Itís like the difference between blowing up a balloon and popping it, or blowing it up and then slowly leaving the air out again, if that makes sense
Old 04-11-19, 02:05 PM   #384
dom9
Ant Pisser

It's currently the main topic of discussion in three different threads.

I think it's fair to say that feedback isn't positive.
Old 04-11-19, 02:14 PM   #385
peterbread
Evans

See you’ve had it for 5 minutes so you thing it’s going to get better. It’s the 3rd season in Australia and it’s still fucking shit. No improvement, no one likes it and it just kills the fun at the games.
peterbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 02:17 PM   #386
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

It's been a disaster so far in the Premier League. In the stadium no-one has a clue and at OT the other week for Mane's disallowed goal - the hoardings had it down as a goal for several seconds before the graphic was updated.

Utterly shambolic.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 02:29 PM   #387
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Corrupt to the core with cunts like Atkinson running it. It has only shown even more how incompetent English officials are.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 04:37 PM   #388
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
It should be there to correct every incorrect decision (at least that's what fans expected) And it isn't.

Currently it's ridiculous and pissing fans off every week as we are seeing the errors they are choosing to ignore.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 05:30 PM   #389
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Another blinding weekend, a perfectly fine goal disallowed for offside. No doubt there will be another screw job on us tomorrow too.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 06:44 PM   #390
topscorer
Dalglish

VAR thread

They are disallowing goals for offside by margins of millimeters but a clear tug by LuŪs in the LEI vs ARS game isn't a clear and obvious penalty.

The way VAR is being used is a farce, not the idea of VAR itself.
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:26 PM   #391
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
Corrupt to the core with cunts like Atkinson running it. It has only shown even more how incompetent English officials are.
It's not Atkinson running it, it's much worse than that.

It's Mike fucking Riley.
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:58 PM   #392
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

The tug on Perez was so incredibly obvious, I just don't see how anyone.. even the incredibly inept Stuart Attwell couldn't see that as anything other than a blantatn pen. So far this season VAR has been an epic failure.
Old 09-11-19, 10:51 PM   #393
S-RED
Dalglish

just seen the sheff u goal that was disallowed, football is fucked........... so bobb'y armpit was offside, but the spurs centre half's shoulder wasn't considered when drawing the arbitrary line .......... Fuck me

oh BTW it was john moss doing the VAR ....
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 11:03 PM   #394
Scratch
If you fail once....

These VAR lines are right confusing, cos perspective and all, but I don't think there was as much wrong with that one as the twitteratzi make out.
Old 09-11-19, 11:10 PM   #395
ChesterDave
Paisley

I'm looking forward to seeing it because, I think it was Le Tossier on Soccer Saturday, described it along the lines of the man playing him onside is 25 yards away so he was well offside.
Old 10-11-19, 02:40 AM   #396
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That Sheff U disallowed goal is taking the piss.

Worst one yet.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 03:00 AM   #397
Fivex
The Wisp

How is the message not getting through that something needs to change and fast?

Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 03:36 AM   #398
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Same as everything in football, they probably think it's just sour grapes. Trouble is is that if you look on Twitter, fans of all teams are laying in to the bad decisions, even fans of the team who benefitted from the decisions
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 11:22 AM   #399
ChesterDave
Paisley

The Sheffield United one took three and a half minutes to show depending on frame rates a toe might have been offside. Hardly “clear and obvious"
Old 10-11-19, 11:44 AM   #400
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

This should be nothing to do with club bias, it's for the detriment of football. Every fan should face the wrong way at games for a minute to highlight a unified dislike of the system.

est1892 > Football > General Football