It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-06, 08:10 AM   #1
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Taylor Made Irons

Got myself a new set of R7 XD irons over the weekend. Fantastic flight and distance and very forgivable
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 02-10-06, 09:24 AM   #2
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Never been a fan of Taylor Made, I had one of the Burner Bubbles when they first came out(i was about 15). The day before the Chesire Boys Open I was going out for a practice round, on the first tee, I made a couple of practice swings before I heard this crack, i looked at the club, and along the shaft just below the bubble, it was snapped. I had to play the next day with my 3 wood and it blew a fucking gale, I had a fucking mare and vowed never to use Taylor Made again.

I don't play as much as I should but here are my current set of clubs.......
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 09:36 AM   #3
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
King Cobra Driver - 9.0dergree Stiff Shaft



Titleist strong 3 wood with stiff steel shaft - quality club

__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 09:40 AM   #4
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Ping ISI irons - Nickel - Had these a while but absoloultly love Ping Irons



Mizuno 60degree Lob Wedge

__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 09:43 AM   #5
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Ping Anser Scottsdale - Nickel - best putter ever made

__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:28 AM   #6
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Was looking at customizing the Ping G5 (4-SW) but it costs too bloddy much. Very good clubs though. How's the King Cobra driver? I'm using an ancient driver, Big Bertha Warbird, need to upgrade.
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:42 AM   #7
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Cobra driver is quality, I got one of the first ones out in the UK a few years ago. I went to a driving range/american golf shop somewhere near chester looking for a driver. Was trying out the usual, Callaway ERC, Titleist, Taylor made etc then the pro came out and watched me for a bit, gave me a few tips etc and I said none of the drivers took my fancy, he came out with the usual sales techinque "I might have something in the back that interests you". Anyway he brought out this driver and for the moment I held it knew i was the one. I rip it now and it easily added 20 more yds on average.

It might not work for everyone tho, whats important in golf is you find the club thats you feel most comfortable with.
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:44 AM   #8
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Where bouts you from, there is a golf warehouse near chester (one of the retail estates places, sealand or something like that) Anyway they sell loads of stuff there and a hell a lot cheaper than anywhere else I've been. Not entirely sure how they get it all but I'm assured it is legal. Just.
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:47 AM   #9
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
They have an impressive range of drivers to choose from, if it accesible to you I highly recommend it, you will get a very good driver for about £150
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:47 AM   #10
Paul.S
:: Site Owner ::
 
Paul.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,103
Any other non golfers look at the title and say -

"Its spelt Tailor Made fool!........."

Paul.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:56 AM   #11
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Bless!
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:57 AM   #12
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.S
Any other non golfers look at the title and say -

"Its spelt Tailor Made fool!........."



We pay a bit more for golf equipment here in Spore as compared to USA and UK. Whenever there is a warehouse clearance sale, its usually the older models that they try to get rid off.

The local distributor for Cleveland in Spore tried to sell me the iron set and there was a price variation between the American vs. Japenese specifications. The Jap specs costs about 30% more because they are using NS Pro steel which is lighter and not as stiff as normal steel shafts.
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:59 AM   #13
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP
Cobra driver is quality, I got one of the first ones out in the UK a few years ago. I went to a driving range/american golf shop somewhere near chester looking for a driver. Was trying out the usual, Callaway ERC, Titleist, Taylor made etc then the pro came out and watched me for a bit, gave me a few tips etc and I said none of the drivers took my fancy, he came out with the usual sales techinque "I might have something in the back that interests you". Anyway he brought out this driver and for the moment I held it knew i was the one. I rip it now and it easily added 20 more yds on average.

It might not work for everyone tho, whats important in golf is you find the club thats you feel most comfortable with.
I'm very good with the driver and prefer the 3 wood. Looking at hybrids. Do they help in game improvement. I need all the help I can get

Where's Shaggy? He used to play competitively if I remember correctly.
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:01 AM   #14
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Where you expecting to read about bespoke irons for your house like these drawings




__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:11 AM   #15
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCase
I'm very good with the driver and prefer the 3 wood. Looking at hybrids. Do they help in game improvement. I need all the help I can get

Where's Shaggy? He used to play competitively if I remember correctly.
HAHA Shaggy , I'm your man. I've played since I was 12, Have been a member of a private golf club for over 10 years. Got my handicap down to 6 when I was eighteen, but went off to uni so played a lot less. I have played in county events, represented my club in national events. Plus played some of the best courses around including Royal Liverpool(hoylake) many times, the belfry, Old Course St Andrews.

__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:16 AM   #16
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
ok your from singapore, can't help you with cheap clubs there
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:17 AM   #17
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP
HAHA Shaggy , I'm your man. I've played since I was 12, Have been a member of a private golf club for over 10 years. Got my handicap down to 6 when I was eighteen, but went off to uni so played a lot less. I have played in county events, represented my club in national events. Plus played some of the best courses around including Royal Liverpool(hoylake) many times, the belfry, Old Course St Andrews.

respectshakey
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:21 AM   #18
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
When you say Hybrid drivers - do mean something between a driver and 3wd with say a loft of about 13degrees?
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:23 AM   #19
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP
When you say Hybrid drivers - do mean something between a driver and 3wd with say a loft of about 13degrees?
I just re-read my post re drivers. I meant to say that i'm crap with drivers and prefer the 3 wood. Hybrid is like a rescue club, replaces 2 and/or 3 iron.
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:24 AM   #20
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Loft is anywhere from 18 to 21 degrees I think.
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 02-10-06, 11:32 AM   #21
Bob
Paul Burrell
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCase
Where's Shaggy? He used to play competitively if I remember correctly.
Spits tea over monitor.
__________________
...
Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out alive.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:37 AM   #22
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
ah right a rescue club, yeah I'd highly recommend them to anyone, espically if you struggle with your long irons(mainly in the rough). If you have got a strong swing/or fast clubhead at impact you can make do with out. But if you struggle hitting 3/4 iron over 190yds from the rough then these clubs can seriously help. An easy swing and you will find drilling the ball out of the rough now problem. What loft you want is your own prefernce, you need to get the right balance throughout your set, ie I have a 9degree driver and a strong 3wood, therefore there is a huge gap between my 3wood and 3 iron, so I'd go for about 18/19 degrees.

Despite me slagging taylor made off, imo they make the best rescue clubs - this one in particular - couple of years old but definatly the best style/design and easiest to use - will prob be very cheap now too.

__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:45 AM   #23
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP
ah right a rescue club, yeah I'd highly recommend them to anyone, espically if you struggle with your long irons(mainly in the rough). If you have got a strong swing/or fast clubhead at impact you can make do with out. But if you struggle hitting 3/4 iron over 190yds from the rough then these clubs can seriously help. An easy swing and you will find drilling the ball out of the rough now problem. What loft you want is your own prefernce, you need to get the right balance throughout your set, ie I have a 9degree driver and a strong 3wood, therefore there is a huge gap between my 3wood and 3 iron, so I'd go for about 18/19 degrees.

Despite me slagging taylor made off, imo they make the best rescue clubs - this one in particular - couple of years old but definatly the best style/design and easiest to use - will prob be very cheap now too.

This is the rescue club that I am looking for. Trying to get a used club from a 2nd hand dealer.

Taylor Made aren't that bad. My first iron set was the 200 series. Did the job but could be a lot more forgiving. Tried the Cleveland CG4, Launcher, Launcher LP, Big Bertha Fusion, Nickent and Marumans before settling on the
R7. Thanks for the advise, I'd better head off home in-case the boss thinks I'm actually working and gives me some last minute work to do.
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:47 AM   #24
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?
 
PTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,914
haha sound -yeah if you can get one i'd get that one.
__________________
i own everton fans on the internet....that's what i do
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 01:49 PM   #25
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 127,156
Competitively? Hmmm. To a point. I can’t compare with PTP at all. My golf CV was pretty good when I was 14, but I decided to give up the game to concentrate on drugs, booze and women. It was a wise choice too.

Just back into it though and ultimately I’m gonna be on the lookout for some new clubs given that I’m currently having to use the same rusty clubs I used in 1991.

Any suggestions fellas?
__________________
I was playing doctors and nurses with my female cousin. I was about 6 or 7, and we were inserting little toy stuffs in our bum holes. Does it count as snogging?
Shaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 02:04 PM   #26
Mumsafan
Paisley
 
Mumsafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,087
My son plays with Pings. He loves them! He's nearly due for a bigger set but am struggling cos he wants Pings again. He might have to have ladies which will no doubt piss him off.
__________________
I live with Steptoe.
Mumsafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 02:53 PM   #27
Bob
Paul Burrell
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso
Competitively? Hmmm. To a point. I canít compare with PTP at all. My golf CV was pretty good when I was 14, but I decided to give up the game to concentrate on drugs, booze and women. It was a wise choice too.

Just back into it though and ultimately Iím gonna be on the lookout for some new clubs given that Iím currently having to use the same rusty clubs I used in 1991.

Any suggestions fellas?
Do you play scratch shaggy?
__________________
...
Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out alive.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 02:57 PM   #28
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 127,156
Do I play OFF scratch? Do I balls. My old man plays off 1 though.
__________________
I was playing doctors and nurses with my female cousin. I was about 6 or 7, and we were inserting little toy stuffs in our bum holes. Does it count as snogging?
Shaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 03:14 PM   #29
Bob
Paul Burrell
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso
Do I play OFF scratch? Do I balls. My old man plays off 1 though.
It's intimidating for me to start up again cause the highest my mates play off is 16

Nice balls pun
__________________
...
Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out alive.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 09:33 PM   #30
Rocket
Midget
 
Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsafan
My son plays with Pings. He loves them! He's nearly due for a bigger set but am struggling cos he wants Pings again. He might have to have ladies which will no doubt piss him off.
get one's with pink grips for the poor fella
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 09:55 PM   #31
G_Man
Dalglish
 
G_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP
HAHA Shaggy , I'm your man. I've played since I was 12, Have been a member of a private golf club for over 10 years. Got my handicap down to 6 when I was eighteen, but went off to uni so played a lot less. I have played in county events, represented my club in national events. Plus played some of the best courses around including Royal Liverpool(hoylake) many times, the belfry, Old Course St Andrews.

Fancy playing oop North in my neck of the woods (no pun intended)?
__________________
rnm is funny,funny like funny haha.

Goals 2006/7 (CS, PL, CL)
1: Agger, Bellamy, Fowler, Alonso, Garcia
2: Gonzalez, Kuyt, Riise
5: Crouch
G_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 09:59 PM   #32
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 31,893
Never seen the appeal of walking around a manicured field.
__________________
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:24 PM   #33
Mumsafan
Paisley
 
Mumsafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
get one's with pink grips for the poor fella
:whatever:
__________________
I live with Steptoe.
Mumsafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 02:14 AM   #34
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso
Competitively? Hmmm. To a point. I canít compare with PTP at all. My golf CV was pretty good when I was 14, but I decided to give up the game to concentrate on drugs, booze and women. It was a wise choice too.

Just back into it though and ultimately Iím gonna be on the lookout for some new clubs given that Iím currently having to use the same rusty clubs I used in 1991.

Any suggestions fellas?
This is from Golf Digests Hot List (2006)

Game Improvement

Adams Idea a2
Callaway X-18
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion
Cleveland CG4
Cobra 3100I/H
Mizuno MX-900
Nickent 3DX
Nike Slingshot Tour
Ping i5
Ping G5
TaylorMade r7 XD


Players Irons (Little or no offset, shorter blade length and relatively thin top line)

Bridgestone J33 Forged Cavity
Callaway X-Tour
Cleveland CG2
MacGregor V-Foil Forged M675
Mizuno MP-60
Nike Pro Combo Tour
Ping S59 Tour
TaylorMade rac LT
Titleist 735.CM

There is another category for Super Game Improvement Irons but I don't think that your wld need it.

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...listirons.html
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 02:17 AM   #35
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsafan
My son plays with Pings. He loves them! He's nearly due for a bigger set but am struggling cos he wants Pings again. He might have to have ladies which will no doubt piss him off.
Pings have the custom option and they are bloody expensive. Once you have them customized it wld be difficult to resell or trade-in.

Most major brands normally have test drive sessions. Let him try other brands for feel. Pings are good but there are other off the shelf brands that are just as good and wld cost quite a lot less.
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 09:03 AM   #36
Mumsafan
Paisley
 
Mumsafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCase
Pings have the custom option and they are bloody expensive. Once you have them customized it wld be difficult to resell or trade-in.

Most major brands normally have test drive sessions. Let him try other brands for feel. Pings are good but there are other off the shelf brands that are just as good and wld cost quite a lot less.

The fact that one of my major clients is a golf pro means I don't pay full whack anyway And the lad is paying half himself so I can't really complain about cost.
__________________
I live with Steptoe.
Mumsafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 09:43 AM   #37
JCase
Benitez
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 960
Good character training for your lad, making him pay half

I allegedly received a 30% discount for my set. I don't believe it
JCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 12:31 PM   #38
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy
 
Red_Polo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacodemon
Never seen the appeal of walking around a manicured field.
You don't understand the appeal of golf, football, rugby, grasscourt tennis, cricket, hockey, or lacrosse? Sheesh
__________________
Like blood on iron
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 12:46 PM   #39
Bob
Paul Burrell
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo
You don't understand the appeal of golf, football, rugby, grasscourt tennis, cricket, hockey, or lacrosse? Sheesh
But aks him about third-rate pop acts and he'll go all goosebumbly

Woman i tells ya!
__________________
...
Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out alive.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 02:29 PM   #40
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 31,893
I'd have been shot if I been caught walking around the football or rugby pitch....

Couldn't give a shit about Cricket, hockey or even lacrosse...
__________________
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > General > General Sports

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.