It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 08-10-19, 04:29 PM   #8521
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Just seen that Sky are charging £9.95 for the KSI/Logan Paul card?!

Surely that's a joke?!?

JURGEN KLOPP - LIVERPOOL MANAGER

YNWA
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 01:41 PM   #8522
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fuck

Old 10-10-19, 02:12 PM   #8523
Zapater
Dalglish

That's terrible news, hopefully not another Salvador Sanchez.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 07:10 PM   #8524
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 10-10-19, 08:01 PM   #8525
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Wow
Old 14-10-19, 12:14 PM   #8526
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Not sure I should be posting this tbh but Day is in 'an extremely critical condition' after this KO. It's a sickening knockout.

Old 16-10-19, 11:14 PM   #8527
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not sure I should be posting this tbh but Day is in 'an extremely critical condition' after this KO. It's a sickening knockout.

Charles Conwell knocks out Patrick Day VICIOUS KO +3 slo mo's - YouTube
He died

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-19, 09:29 AM   #8528
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Fuck! RIP Patrick Day.
Pablo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-19, 09:50 AM   #8529
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fuck. Horrific.
Old 17-10-19, 10:25 AM   #8530
Zapater
Dalglish

By all accounts he was a lovely guy too. On a slightly lighter note, Errol Spence Jr is fine. Although there was [obviously] alcohol involved.

https://www.boxingscene.com/spence-r...th-dwi--143440

Quote:
Spence Released From Hospital, Charged With DWI

Errol Spence Jr. once again has a clean bill of health but is not quite out of the clear.

The unbeaten and unified welterweight titlist miraculously avoided long-term injuries from a single-car accident on Oct. 10 in downtown Dallas, Texas. The 29-year old southpaw from Desoto, Texas was rescued from the scene and rushed to Methodist Dallas Medical Center, where he remained in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) although avoiding any broken bones or head trauma.

Spence Jr. was released from the hospital on Wednesday, although awaiting him is an official DWI charge filed by the Dallas Police Department.

“Errol Spence Jr. was charged with DWI, misdemeanor B,” Sgt. Warren Mitchell, spokesperson for the Dallas PD told BoxingScene.com on Wednesday. “

No other charges plan to be filed as this goes to publish, a fortunate break for Spence (26-0, 21KOs) as he will very likely avoid any jail time. It was indicated at the time of the accident that the boxer had been traveling well above the speed limit and was not wearing his seat belt, although the latter ultimately saved his life. Spence was ejected from his car after flipping over the road median and at least twice more after that before crashing and wrecking his Ferrari.

At the time, police refused to comment on whether alcohol was involved, although the current charges clearly indicate as such.

Because there weren’t any other vehicles or victims involved, no other charges will be filed.

“As for getting a speed of the vehicle, we will not be getting one,” noted Warren. “It was a single car accident with no other criminal charges.

“Therefore, no reason to get a warrant to pull the CDR (Black box) of the vehicle.”

The incident marked a first time offense for Spence, hence the Class B misdemeanor charges filed. It also confirms his Blood Alcohol Level (BAL) was below 0.15, which likely keeps him out of prison. The maximum penalty includes a fine up to $2,000 and license suspension anywhere from three months to one full year.

Spence’s fallout comes just two weeks following a 12-round split decision over Shawn Porter (30-3-1, 17KOs) in their Sept. 28 welterweight title unification clash in Los Angeles, California. The bout topped a Fox Sports Pay Per View event, which—according to reliable industry sources—sold between 280,000-300,000 units.

Tentative plans called for Spence to next defend his titles versus former two-division titlist Danny Garcia in the first quarter of 2020. Such a bout could very well be in play, although any such talk of resuming his boxing career is secondary to more pressing matters at hand.
Old 17-10-19, 10:42 AM   #8531
Yozza
Shankly

Fucking hell.... 27
RIP

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-19, 10:52 PM   #8532
labourRed
Shankly

That's 6 deaths in the last few years. I have to say I love boxing. I've done some amateur stuff in my younger days and love bag work to this day...

But the sport needs to evolve. Death in sport can't be normalised, fuck that!
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 07:54 AM   #8533
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
That's 6 deaths in the last few years. I have to say I love boxing. I've done some amateur stuff in my younger days and love bag work to this day...

But the sport needs to evolve. Death in sport can't be normalised, fuck that!
How can it evolve?
Old 19-10-19, 09:39 AM   #8534
Zapater
Dalglish

Edit: wrong thread.
Old 19-10-19, 11:12 AM   #8535
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
How can it evolve?
I agree, the only thing which should be done is eradicating performance enhancing drugs, which is a nightmare to implement. Someone could have the benefits of doping and not use anything in 2-3 months in the build up to a fight but still benefit from previous use. The crackdown should be a lot harsher, regardless of circumstances. Regularly people are caught and then we see them in the ring 2 or 3 months later, there are too many examples to list and the excuses are always shit. Wife's weight loss pill to contaminated beef. Should be a non-negotiable 2 year ban which is enforced and any further sanctions result in a lifetime ban. Even if it is circumstantial, fighters are getting away with far too much.

It's not like other sports where you may run a bit faster, or hit a ball a bit further. If someone can hit as hard in the 11th round as they do in the second round despite fatigue, the danger to the opponent is greatly increased. It's no surprise that heavyweights seldom have issues like this, as they're not killing themselves to make weight. A lot of fighters regular weight is comfortably 4-10kg above their fighting weight. If you're in a 3 month training camp, that doesn't leave a lot of room to chance, if you're struggling with a month to go, some guys will do anything to make weight if they've cut corners previously.

The only other obvious thing which could be implemented is looking at weight more closely in the build up. A lot of these cases are impacted by dehydrated fighters getting into the ring because they can't make weight. Oscar's fight against Pacquiao for example should never have taken place. He was so weak a strong breeze could have knocked him down and he suffered a severe beating as a result.

At the end of the day though, the object of the sport is to inflict damage onto your opponent by delivering blows to the body and head. They can't ban the sport, it'll just go underground and unregulated boxing is the last thing the world needs. Sports science and human fitness/strength/speed/endurance is at an all time high. It's unthinkable that these situations won't occur from time to time. I think everyone who gets into the ring accepts these risks. As I've previously said, no one ever talks about it and there is a 'it won't happen to me' mentality.

There is no real other solution other than making sure reactionary measures are tip top. Paramedics on site ready to step in, with necessary equipment. Like I can't believe that there was no oxygen for that guy (forget his name Gerald someone? the knockout artist) that Nigel Benn stopped. I mean, that was in the mid 90s, not the dark ages, so we've come a long way. If that knock out occurred today, he probably wouldn't have had severe paralysis and damage. Still there is a long way to go.

-----------

On the fights, I see Beterviev beat up Gvozdyk. Just saw some highlights, will watch the full fight later. Looks like he outworked him and ground him down. That's a man with intense endurance if I've ever seen one. Won all of his fights by KO, would be good to see him take the winner of Kovalev and Canelo.
Old 19-10-19, 11:41 AM   #8536
labourRed
Shankly

Gerald Mcclellan, that fight was the silent classic in that no one likes to refer to it as a great fight due to the outcome.
Old 19-10-19, 11:51 AM   #8537
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
How can it evolve?
It's a tough one. Extreme measures such as head guards won't wash but other things could be addressed.

Video doctors (I feel referees aren't best placed to stop a fight).
Pre fight MRI scans for top level fights.
Corners being more cognisant of their fighter being in trouble.

I don't particularly have the answer to a tough question but something has to be done to protect fighters. A lot of these deaths come near the end of the fight.

You bring brain injuries into the equation and its not good enough IMO. Obviously boxers are now fitter and stronger than ever before and this isn't going to be a blip in the road.
Old 19-10-19, 11:52 AM   #8538
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Gerald Mcclellan, that fight was the silent classic in that no one likes to refer to it as a great fight due to the outcome.
That's him. Brilliant fight, possibly Benn's best which is hard to say as he was in so many barnstormers. The interview afterwards was insane when the interviewer was trying to tell Benn to stop talking and Benn was like 'No, you listen to me...'

Also, no one wants to point out that McClellan is (was) an absolute prick. Obviously no one deserves that, but the the tragic events of that night doesn't mean he was a good person beforehand.

Duk Koo Kim vs Ray Mancini is similar in that regard.
Old 19-10-19, 12:01 PM   #8539
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
It's a tough one. Extreme measures such as head guards won't wash but other things could be addressed.

Video doctors (I feel referees aren't best placed to stop a fight).
Pre fight MRI scans for top level fights.
Corners being more cognisant of their fighter being in trouble.

I don't particularly have the answer to a tough question but something has to be done to protect fighters. A lot of these deaths come near the end of the fight.

You bring brain injuries into the equation and its not good enough IMO. Obviously boxers are now fitter and stronger than ever before and this isn't going to be a blip in the road.
Apparently being hit with headgear on is worse for your brain than without as there is a 'double impact' first from the initial blow then the headgear itself microseconds later. Hence amateurs haven't had headgear in some recent tournaments. It only helps prevent cuts.

I think most governing bodies require 1 MRI per year, I agree that isn't enough, not sure if that regulation has changed. Especially if a concussion may have been sustained without noticing in sparring before a fight - apparently most damage is done in sparring, not fights themselves due to volume of rounds. Brendan Ingle was apparently an advocate for as little full contact sparring as possible with a lot of body sparring to avoid unnecessary damage. No surprise a lot of his former fighters are still speaking fluidly, well in their retirements.

Also, making sure that fighters don't return too quickly after a knockout is something which should be watched. That Argentine guy who died in Germany a few months back should never have been in the ring. This is particularly important for lower level fighters who are desperate for money, but people shouldn't be returning to the ring a month after suffering a heavy knockout.
Old 26-10-19, 10:16 PM   #8540
RichC
Meh

Unsurprisingly David Price stopped
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-19, 10:19 PM   #8541
rodo
Shankly

fucking dreadful boxer
Old 26-10-19, 11:22 PM   #8542
RichC
Meh

Good fight Taylor vs Prograis
Old 26-10-19, 11:39 PM   #8543
RichC
Meh

117-112 seems a stretch on the Mexicans card but think Taylor did just shout enough.

Cracking fight
Old 26-10-19, 11:40 PM   #8544
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Wow. I found that impossible to call, maybe just Taylor, and yeah 117-112 was a joke
Old 26-10-19, 11:41 PM   #8545
spud_gun
Paisley

Legend
Old 29-10-19, 12:12 PM   #8546
Zapater
Dalglish

Shock of the century, Nigel Benn injures himself in training and the bout is cancelled. Believe it or not his body couldn't handle the rigorous training at 55 and he did his shoulder. I'm quite relieved about it. Even though he seems fine, there's no need for him to sustain even minimal punishment after a hard career like his.
Old 03-11-19, 05:55 AM   #8547
Zapater
Dalglish

Can't believe they delayed the fight for the UFC to conclude. How many real boxing fans would not watch the fight because UFC? Disappointing move from DANZ.

Switched channels, to see when it would end. Wtf is Roberto Durán doing there?
Old 03-11-19, 07:31 AM   #8548
Zapater
Dalglish

Fair play Canelo, been critical of him in the past, but that was a really good win for him. Had Kovalev up on the cards, but in the 11th he looked tired, his legs weren't good. First significant stoppage for Canelo for some time, possibly ever.

Thought Kovalev should have tried to rough him up a bit more, even though Canelo wasn't bothered by his punches per se, they were heavy enough that he didn't want much of them, obviously he was wary of his body and letting hands go too much, but Kovalev's right hand could have changed the game if he perhaps gambles slightly more.

Kovalev said he was tired after the quick turn around, and that can be something for a 36 year old, but once a fight is signed, the show must go on. Not sure how many times we'll see him in the ring again. I estimate a maximum of 2 or 3 fights left in him. Wouldn't be surprised if he packed it up. He's been really good, but he's far from the invisible man he used to be prior to the Ward loss and the last few rounds he may have gotten 'old in the ring'. Either way, he's been a really good fighter and been part of some fantastic shows.
Old 03-11-19, 10:23 AM   #8549
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 03-11-19, 10:26 AM   #8550
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's hilarious if true, particularly considering how fat Broner is these days, he's like a heavyweight

Great way to boost the image of the sport though...
Old 07-11-19, 01:01 AM   #8551
calvoboy
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingawaria View Post
Just seen that Sky are charging £9.95 for the KSI/Logan Paul card?!

Surely that's a joke?!?
And now promoting it at every opportunity. I don't care what anyone says, it's a joke. Trying to say it's good because it raises the profile of the sport is just so much bullshit. It's like having a celebrity five-a-side on the pitch after the FA Cup Final and saying how wonderful it is because all Taylor Swift's fans tune in to see her play in goal.

KSI and Logan Paul's fans are watching them, not the boxing. If they were doing Judo or playing chess against each other they'd have just the same number of viewers, and exactly the same lasting legacy on the relevant sport (i.e. none).

Although it's not like Eddie Hearn to see the opportunity to cash in by promoting a substandard boxing match
calvoboy is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports