It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 31-10-13, 11:23 AM   #81
Chazza
Des Lynam

Tremlett and Rankin taken a whack in the opening warm up.

Chris Tremlett has conceded 71 runs from 17 overs without picking up a wicket, while Boyd Rankin's figures are 1-87 off 18 overs.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-11-13, 08:42 AM   #82
Jas
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarb View Post
India must have the shittest bowling line-up and best batting line-up in the world in ODI cricket
Sarb, not so sure about the Indian bowling being that bad mate, don't get me wrong, they are a long way off from where I would want them to be but I do think the rules in the one day game don't help any fielding team. Even MS in the after match presentation with Ravi Shastri basically admitted that regardless of whatever field you set a good batsmen will still pretty much be able to score at will, still it should make for a cracking final game on Saturday!
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 11:05 AM   #83
Sarb
Doomed, we're all doomed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Sarb, not so sure about the Indian bowling being that bad mate, don't get me wrong, they are a long way off from where I would want them to be but I do think the rules in the one day game don't help any fielding team. Even MS in the after match presentation with Ravi Shastri basically admitted that regardless of whatever field you set a good batsmen will still pretty much be able to score at will, still it should make for a cracking final game on Saturday!

Yeah it was probably a bit OTT. I think we bowled well in the Champions Trophy. I think our bowlers will get a lot more luck on pitches outside of the sub-continent that do assist bowlers even a little bit. The dead pitches in India along with the new field restriction rules are making 350 a par score now. Ridiculous really though. Pitches and the game should have something for both bowlers and batsmen. You could say that Aussies bowlers look poorer than ours. Twice they've failed to defend a score of 350+ this series

With Mitchell Johnson going home and missing the game tomorrow, it's probably ensured that Yuvraj and Raina get another chance to impress. He's had their number all series
Sarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 11:33 AM   #84
Chazza
Des Lynam

Shane Watson has just pulled up in the one dayer and has had to go off.
Old 02-11-13, 01:10 PM   #85
destinydude
Dalglish

Rohit Sharma just scored a double hundred

His second hundred came off 40 balls.

Eventually got out, in the last over, at 209.
Old 02-11-13, 03:42 PM   #86
Sarb

What an innings from Sharma

Maxwell and Watson having a good time of it too in response
Old 02-11-13, 04:37 PM   #87
Sarb

Faulkner 99 off 56. Vinay kumar gone for 102 runs. Shit bowler would be an understatement

Game not over yet
Old 02-11-13, 08:45 PM   #88
Jas
Fagan

After scoring 383 that was far to close for comfort!!
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 10:25 PM   #89
Sarb

Vinay Kumar was shocking. 102 off 9 overs. Way too close. If Aussies had kept wickets in hand they would have walked it
Old 03-11-13, 08:35 AM   #90
destinydude
Dalglish

Quote:
Vinay Kumar was shocking. 102 off 9 overs. Way too close. If Aussies had kept wickets in hand they would have walked it
If Aussies kept wickets in hand, their req'd run rate would have been through the roof

I think Bailey was the one only one who just threw his wicket. What was he thinking? The rest were out trying to hit or good out to good balls.
Old 04-11-13, 01:20 PM   #91
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Shane Warne condemns 'boring' Cook and tips Australia for Ashes
Alastair Cook accused of 'negative' approach by Shane Warne
Warne attacks Ricky Ponting over Michael Clarke jibes

Shane Warne has strongly criticised Alastair Cook, saying that England could lose the Ashes this winter if their captain continues his "negative, boring, not very imaginative" approach to Test cricket.

The former Australia leg-spinner first complained about Cook's tactics last summer, prompting Andy Flower to insist the Englishman was "a strong leader" whose "captaincy has been excellent" and Stuart Broad to accuse Warne of "trash-talking" and insist England "are not listening to what he says". Warne, however, has not reconsidered.

"It's all about the brand and style of cricket you want to play and what you stand for as a captain," Warne said. "I'm just telling it the way I see it. If it offends people, ignore it. At the end of the day it's all about winning. He can be negative, boring, not very imaginative, and still win and be happy. But I'll tell you my opinion: I think Alastair Cook has to be more imaginative. I think if Australia play well and he continues to captain the way he does, England will lose the series."

"He lets the game drift. He waits for the game to come to him. If I look at the best captains I played with and the best captains around the world, they got the best out of their team, and they always challenged sides. Stephen Fleming of New Zealand, and Brendan McCullum now he's a good captain, he's imaginative. Mark Taylor was fantastic, Allan Border, Michael Clarke to me is the best captain in the world at the moment, because he's got a lot of imagination.

He's not proactive, is a better word than negative. England have got some quality bowlers and over a period of time they'll take wickets but, if they're not having a very good day, there's no imagination, no out-thinking the opposition. He's just going to stand there and let the bowlers bowl. I don't like that style of captaincy and when you're playing the best teams in the world, it won't hold up.

"I think in the last few Tests of the last series there were enough encouraging signs for Australia to say, 'We're not far away.' Fast forward to this series, on Australian soil, in Australian conditions, and I think England have to play the best cricket they possibly can to win. I think if they don't, or if Australia don't allow them to play well, I think Australia will win."

Warne believes that England have made a faltering start to their defence, having "really missed a trick" by leaving out Graham Onions in favour of "a few bowlers who are very similar" in Boyd Rankin, Chris Tremlett and Steven Finn. "If something happens to James Anderson I'm not sure who's going to replace him," Warne said. "You want a like-for-like bowler rather than four giants who just bang it into the wicket."

He also contends that Joe Root should drop back into the middle order, allowing Michael Carberry to open with Cook. Root's brilliant 180 in the second Test at Lord's was one of the highlights of the last series, but the 22-year-old scored 16 runs or fewer in seven of his 10 Ashes innings last summer, and Warne believes that "Australia really have got his number".

"I think the No6 spot is a bit of a weak link in the side," Warne added. "Trott, Bell, Pietersen, Root and Prior at seven is a strong middle order and I think that looks better than Root at the top, then Bairstow or one of the other guys at No6. Root played well at Lord's, when Australia had a bit of a horror, but I don't think he's an opener because his technique is not tight enough and I think Australia found him out.

"He's a good player of the field, a manipulator of the spinners, a good worker. I think he's a perfect No6. As an opener I think he's going to nick off a lot, and we saw in England that Australia really did have his number. Carberry's better suited to opening than Root and it's a better balanced side without [Jonny] Bairstow, who had plenty of chances in the Ashes and just didn't do enough. I know England like to stick with their team, but sometimes you've got to think: 'Is there a better option?' In my opinion there is. I think Australia would fancy their chances with Root opening the batting and Bairstow at No6."
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...-warne-england
Old 04-11-13, 01:25 PM   #92
Sarb

I think he has a point on Cook. He can be quite negative at times
Old 04-11-13, 01:29 PM   #93
Chazza
Des Lynam

He also said something like 'You would never see Cook using a leg slip'

Unless of course it was the second test when Cook caught Clarke at leg slip off of Root
Old 04-11-13, 01:38 PM   #94
Sarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
He also said something like 'You would never see Cook using a leg slip'

Unless of course it was the second test when Cook caught Clarke at leg slip off of Root

But I think over the last few series' sometimes he's had his team bat too long or they've been negative in setting targets. Yes, they've won. But sometimes with unfavorable changes in weather etc, it may have ended up differently.

Think with the bowlers England have and the pitches they've played on, there probably isn't any need to set targets of 450+ in 4 sessions and things like that
Old 05-11-13, 09:46 PM   #95
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Warne is a joke, I bet the England team just find him funny. He's so transparent.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 12:06 AM   #96
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Anyone watching the tour match against Australia A? Root dropped to 6 and Carberry opening with Cook. Stream here if you need it: http://www.hqsportz.com/
Old 06-11-13, 07:54 AM   #97
Chazza
Des Lynam

150's all round
Old 06-11-13, 09:27 AM   #98
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I think they'll go this way. It's a bit of a gamble but Root at 6 is fine - much better than Bairstow - and Carberry is some fucking player when he gets going. He's got all the shots and I like how he looks to score reasonably quickly - gives us much more impetus at the top of the order.
Old 06-11-13, 10:29 AM   #99
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think they'll go this way. It's a bit of a gamble but Root at 6 is fine - much better than Bairstow - and Carberry is some fucking player when he gets going. He's got all the shots and I like how he looks to score reasonably quickly - gives us much more impetus at the top of the order.
Before lunch he was comfortably outscored by Cook and went at an absolute snail pace. Then I went to bed and missed him open his shoulders later in the day. Anyway, I don't think he'll give us any more impetus than we had under Root or Compton.
Old 06-11-13, 10:46 AM   #100
Sarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Anyone watching the tour match against Australia A? Root dropped to 6 and Carberry opening with Cook. Stream here if you need it: http://www.hqsportz.com/
It's exactly what Warne said they should do.

I don't think Root should open in Test Cricket though. What a start in the A game. Would be silly not to go that way in the first Test
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 06-11-13, 10:50 AM   #101
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Before lunch he was comfortably outscored by Cook and went at an absolute snail pace. Then I went to bed and missed him open his shoulders later in the day. Anyway, I don't think he'll give us any more impetus than we had under Root or Compton.
I do, once he's comfortable in the role and well in. He's not made many for England so I don't blame him for taking his time. He's nowt like Compo the Stodgemeister
Old 06-11-13, 10:51 AM   #102
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
It's exactly what Warne said they should do.

I don't think Root should open in Test Cricket though. What a start in the A game. Would be silly not to go that way in the first Test
Just a coincidence isn't it. England would have been annoyed that Warne said that a day before they announced it. There is no way they pay any heed to that buffoon Warne.
Old 06-11-13, 10:54 AM   #103
Sarb

Quote:
I do, once he's comfortable in the role and well in. He's not made many for England so I don't blame him for taking his time. He's nowt like Compo the Stodgemeister

Interesting to see what his strike rate is generally. There are quite a few batsmen who go slowly at the beginning of their innings but then towards the end get their strike rate up to 80-90%. He deserves his opportunity. Makes sense to put Root down the order. Bairstow has hardly set the world alight
Old 06-11-13, 10:55 AM   #104
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Listening to Cork talk about him last night and his description of him sounded exactly like Compo until recent years when T20 taught him to be more aggressive. He was saying how he expects him dig in and see off the new ball if he gets the nod for the first test.

I like Root at 6 and Carberry has earned his chance to open, no chance they can drop him after this. However, I think he's crap and he'll be a big fat failure against better bowling. His first class record last season was very poor too.

Last edited by captainfog; 06-11-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 02:59 PM   #105
Daniel 7
Heretic

How many times do two countries have to play each other before you get bored of it? It just seems to be a constant stream on the news / sky sports of England v Australia

Is the entire sport really just England v Australia and thats all that happens? Everything else in the game of cricket is just a build up to England v Australia?

How many ashes actually are there? They must be running out by now surely, or are they constantly burning stuff to give out at the next instalment?

I thought the SPL was bad, but this is ridiculous. Its like a perpetual, sedated varsity boat race but with red balls, leisurely field activity and faux jingoism.
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 03:14 PM   #106
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
How many times do two countries have to play each other before you get bored of it? It just seems to be a constant stream on the news / sky sports of England v Australia

Is the entire sport really just England v Australia and thats all that happens? Everything else in the game of cricket is just a build up to England v Australia?

How many ashes actually are there? They must be running out by now surely, or are they constantly burning stuff to give out at the next instalment?

I thought the SPL was bad, but this is ridiculous. Its like a perpetual, sedated varsity boat race but with red balls, leisurely field activity and faux jingoism.

Normally the Ashes are contested once every two years, alternating home and away of course. For some reason - and I am still in the dark as to why this has happened - this summer's home series is being followed almost immediately (gap of just 2-3 months) by the series down under.
Old 06-11-13, 03:17 PM   #107
Alex
Administrator

They usually play each other 10 times in 4 years. No different to football really.

Its just that we had double ashes this year to allow for the world cup next.

Obviously there is ODI cricket. But everyone plays each other all the time there. Australia and India had a 7 match series recently. I guess we will do the same too.
Old 06-11-13, 04:32 PM   #108
Daniel 7
Heretic

Come on, if England played Germany 10 times in 4 years at football there would be uproar! (Especially because they'd lose every game - imagine the damage to the fragile Ingerlish fan's psyche!)

I suppose the other countries that play it like The Cayman Islands or Kenya can't afford to send their teams over very often.

You'd think the Cricket Federation would stump up some cash for the colonies to come over or get the USA to play baseball over there and cricket here and vice versa. At least there would be some competition.
Old 06-11-13, 06:29 PM   #109
Alex
Administrator

It's no different to Rugby. Team play all the time due to the limited number of international sides.

I'd rather watch England play Australia 20 times and have it be competitive than England play some small country with zero pedigree. It'd be like Liverpool constantly playing non league sides. It'd soon get boring.
Old 06-11-13, 06:50 PM   #110
Daniel 7
Heretic

But how are the shitter countries supposed to get any better if they can't break into the colonial cartel of the cricket elite?

See, this is where football sets itself apart from cricket (and other gash like Rugby Union, Rugby League and rounders) - its all inclusive, it embraces new nations, it welcomes them into the international brotherhood of competitive nation states. Then they get better and beat Scotland and consign them to never, ever being able to qualify for another tournament ever again.
Old 06-11-13, 07:55 PM   #111
Alex
Administrator

They get better through ODI and T20 matches and lesser internationals.

The trouble with Cricket is that its not an international sport is it? Its a bit like asking GB to go up against the US in basketball and then making an international spectacle of it. Its pointless.

Football is the only real global sport out there. But that's because it only needs 2 people and a thing resembling a ball to be a game. Cricket is basically a British game taught to the colonies/empire in order for our old toffs to have a bit of a knock about. Its snowballed from there.

The restrictions of Test playing nations is maybe something that could be looked at. Currently there are only 9 or something. But again it comes down to the standard of the other teams.
Old 06-11-13, 08:01 PM   #112
Daniel 7
Heretic

I think the first thing that needs to be done, if its going to take off, is sort out the bad light. Just get some floodlights.

Sort out googlies as well. Nobody can embrace a sport that uses googlies as a term.

And introduce tackling to stop people completing their shuttle runs.
Old 06-11-13, 08:03 PM   #113
Chazza
Des Lynam

And ban Scotland
Old 06-11-13, 08:04 PM   #114
Daniel 7
Heretic

Scotland don't play fucking cricket
Old 06-11-13, 08:05 PM   #115
Daniel 7
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The restrictions of Test playing nations is maybe something that could be looked at. Currently there are only 9 or something. But again it comes down to the standard of the other teams.
Why don't the little nations just have their own tests?
Old 06-11-13, 08:09 PM   #116
Alex
Administrator

What would be the point? Most countries either cant be bothered, or are totally shit. Itd be like 2 sunday league teams meeting for an International.
Old 06-11-13, 08:12 PM   #117
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/c...6377--spt.html

Quote:
Cricket - Scotland cruise to victory
Scotland continued their preparations for this month's World Twenty20 qualifiers with a nine-wicket victory over Ragama in Sri Lanka on Monday.
Old 06-11-13, 08:14 PM   #118
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Nope, but they still field a team

Old 06-11-13, 08:20 PM   #119
Daniel 7
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
What does that even mean?!

I heard about a team called Scotland but I was under the impression they were all english blokes who had no chance of ever playing for England.

Bit like football then

Nobody plays cricket in Scotland - nobody!
Old 06-11-13, 08:22 PM   #120
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Calum MacLeod
That is the most Scottish name possible. I think you might be wrong....

est1892 > General > General Sports