It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 21-03-19, 06:40 AM   #41
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
a type rating?
He'd be better getting a pilots license, being able to type quicker wont help him much.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 21-03-19, 11:06 AM   #42
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Work really fucking hard at school and get on a scholarship programme! Or join the RAF.

Or do something else that he enjoys, earn enough money to join a consortium and timeshare a Cessna or something and fun fly?

I wanted to be a pilot growing up, but mostly because of Battlestar Galactica. At 16, having talked my way into the cockpit on a flight back from Alicante and being allowed to stay for landing, and set the altimeter for the autopilot in response to radio from ground control, the 2 pilots convinced me it was shit, boring job and if I wanted to fly, become a systems analyst and fly for fun.
Old 21-03-19, 11:56 AM   #43
EwarWoo
Paisley

I wanted to be a pilot growing up. Was one of those nerds who could quote any figure on just about any military plane flying. I started an armed forces course at college when I left school as a way in because my grades weren't good enough.

Lasted about 4 weeks before deciding it would be more fun to get a job so I had money to get pissed with mates. Lol.
Old 21-03-19, 12:21 PM   #44
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
One of my kids is keen to become a commercial pilot. Does anyone want to lend me £100K or ideally £130k so he can go on and get a type rating?
Fuck, is that how inaccessible it is?
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 12:46 PM   #45
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

If you just buy it all, he's young!

Look at the scholarship programmes. Take him gliding or on a microlight course. He could get a PPL for a single engine for £4-6 grand etc. Other ratings, like instruments, night flying, radio, navigation and other types of plane etc can follow in dribs and drabs. This is all gold dust extra curricular stuff when applying for scholarships from BA etc

He will need some grades though Maths and Physics were essential and really want to be getting A's.

It is tough to get into, like Brain Science and Rocket Surgery, its a Blue Chip profession and you want the cream of the crop. Flying need not be too expensive, an hour with instruction is around £100, lots of clubs and schools have very soft finance options too.

Last edited by BillobShaisley; 21-03-19 at 12:53 PM.
BillobShaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 01:02 PM   #46
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Yeah a lot of what Billob said there seems sensible advice. I went to school with someone who desperately wanted to be a pilot. He was thick as two short planks but he knew he needed maths and physics so seriously applied himself at those and got decent A-levels in both. It took him ages but he gradually worked his way up in various roles for airports and airlines, networking and understanding how shit worked while he funded himself to learn to fly and get various bits of accreditation.

If you know what you want and are prepared to apply yourself, there's a way there! Mad that some people would be looking to that sort of enormous outlay though
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 10:17 PM   #47
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Fuck, is that how inaccessible it is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
If you just buy it all, he's young!

Look at the scholarship programmes. Take him gliding or on a microlight course. He could get a PPL for a single engine for £4-6 grand etc. Other ratings, like instruments, night flying, radio, navigation and other types of plane etc can follow in dribs and drabs. This is all gold dust extra curricular stuff when applying for scholarships from BA etc

He will need some grades though Maths and Physics were essential and really want to be getting A's.

It is tough to get into, like Brain Science and Rocket Surgery, its a Blue Chip profession and you want the cream of the crop. Flying need not be too expensive, an hour with instruction is around £100, lots of clubs and schools have very soft finance options too.

Times have changed chaps as I've found this past 12 months or so since I started devoting some time to research and finding pilots to talk to. Although if there are any Commercial Pilots on here who want to pass on their own experiences I'd be pleased to receive them.

First off the nature of training is different. Very few airlines (the Gulf carriers being the notable exception) now run their own courses. This has pretty much been the case since 911 apparently.

And (possibly) partly for this reason traditional routes like the RAF are not especially beneficial plus you have to compete with stacks of other like minded people and do 5 years with them first whereas most Commercial Programmes take kids at 18.

Weird though it may sound there is no benefit to being a qualified (private) pilot in terms of getting on a course because they're going to teach you that anyway and the qualification is worthless since the one you need to get is called an MPL. Plus you need to get type rated on a Boeing, Airbus or whatever.

Once upon a time (not that long ago) the good flying schools running MPL like Oxford (now CAE) or CTC (now L3) were very selective at intake stage and kept their numbers fairly low and the airlines would pretty much scoop up all their trainees as soon as they had finished the course: supply equalled demand.

Now CAE is owned by a private equity company and L3 by an American conglomerate and quality has been replaced by quantity. I went to an open day at L3 and there were probably in excess of 200 prospective students. I was naively expecting about 50. So whilst there is still an assessment test to be passed, I would a be a bit doubtful if it's still at the level that it once was because let's face it at 100+ K a pop the average Private Equity company or American multi-national wants bums on seats and lots of them. There is certainly no requirement for Maths and Physics at A level anymore.

Of course some students do get picked up by airlines along the way and clearly some at the end, but take up is by no means 100%. It doesn't matter if you've spent big bucks if you do get offered a job because these kids aged 20 will be paid £40k from day one by anyone reputable so can pay it back in no time. But for the others the future is somewhat more expensive and uncertain.

Sorry if I've rambled lads - I could go on for several more pages to be honest so be thankful you got the edited version
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-19, 10:47 PM   #48
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Times have changed chaps as I've found this past 12 months or so since I started devoting some time to research and finding pilots to talk to. Although if there are any Commercial Pilots on here who want to pass on their own experiences I'd be pleased to receive them.

First off the nature of training is different. Very few airlines (the Gulf carriers being the notable exception) now run their own courses. This has pretty much been the case since 911 apparently.

And (possibly) partly for this reason traditional routes like the RAF are not especially beneficial plus you have to compete with stacks of other like minded people and do 5 years with them first whereas most Commercial Programmes take kids at 18.

Weird though it may sound there is no benefit to being a qualified (private) pilot in terms of getting on a course because they're going to teach you that anyway and the qualification is worthless since the one you need to get is called an MPL. Plus you need to get type rated on a Boeing, Airbus or whatever.

Once upon a time (not that long ago) the good flying schools running MPL like Oxford (now CAE) or CTC (now L3) were very selective at intake stage and kept their numbers fairly low and the airlines would pretty much scoop up all their trainees as soon as they had finished the course: supply equalled demand.

Now CAE is owned by a private equity company and L3 by an American conglomerate and quality has been replaced by quantity. I went to an open day at L3 and there were probably in excess of 200 prospective students. I was naively expecting about 50. So whilst there is still an assessment test to be passed, I would a be a bit doubtful if it's still at the level that it once was because let's face it at 100+ K a pop the average Private Equity company or American multi-national wants bums on seats and lots of them. There is certainly no requirement for Maths and Physics at A level anymore.

Of course some students do get picked up by airlines along the way and clearly some at the end, but take up is by no means 100%. It doesn't matter if you've spent big bucks if you do get offered a job because these kids aged 20 will be paid £40k from day one by anyone reputable so can pay it back in no time. But for the others the future is somewhat more expensive and uncertain.

Sorry if I've rambled lads - I could go on for several more pages to be honest so be thankful you got the edited version
Sheesh. Sounds like a minefield.
Old 21-03-19, 11:05 PM   #49
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Sheesh. Sounds like a minefield.

The more I learn / speak to people the harder it gets and I haven't even taken you down the road of overseas options Maybe I'll save that for another day
Old 22-03-19, 08:43 AM   #50
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:

The more I learn / speak to people the harder it gets and I haven't even taken you down the road of overseas options Maybe I'll save that for another day
You might want to check with MrM that he's got space on the database
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-19, 03:01 PM   #51
Cormack74
Shankly

You're not wrong mate I could fill entire data centres with this stuff
Old 22-03-19, 09:38 PM   #52
Deano
Shankly

From what I know - Air Force + Loan for Comms Pilots license (circa 25 -100k) dependant.
Old 24-03-19, 08:29 PM   #53
Pepe79
Dalglish

‪Exclusive: Cardiff City plan to tell Fifa deal struck to buy Emiliano Sala became 'null and void' after he died' | via @telegraph https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...iliano/‬
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-19, 09:14 PM   #54
ChesterDave
Paisley

So Cardiff are going to argue they don't owe money because they broke the rules. Stay classy, hopefully in the championship.
Old 25-03-19, 05:40 PM   #55
Angryred
Dalglish

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47696561

And it all kicks off, unpleasant business this is!
Old 25-03-19, 06:06 PM   #56
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

It is an unpleasant business, football is a commodity market for people, it's bizarre. Issues of ill-health, injury and death just expose it for what it is.
Old 25-03-19, 06:19 PM   #57
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Cardiff, in big business is ruled by the clauses of contracts shocker!!

Going to be an interesting case. I seem to be the only one that is reserving judgement. IF they win, i.e. their interpretation of the clauses is correct, then I utterly fail to see why they should pay £15mil they aren't legally obliged to, to a competitor as some form of moral tax?
Old 25-03-19, 06:37 PM   #58
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Kind of exposes all the tears and scarfs in Cardiff as a bit of an empty gesture.

This was always going to be a nightmare.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-19, 06:43 PM   #59
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Why? I can be sad that a guy dies, without giving Nantes money I don't have to?
Old 25-03-19, 06:47 PM   #60
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Can't wait to see the back of this shit stain of a club when they get relegated.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 25-03-19, 07:20 PM   #61
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
Why? I can be sad that a guy dies, without giving Nantes money I don't have to?
No - you do. Check the small print
Old 25-03-19, 07:35 PM   #62
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Kind of exposes all the tears and scarfs in Cardiff as a bit of an empty gesture.

This was always going to be a nightmare.
It don't agree with that at all. In fact it's a bizarre interpretation.
Old 25-03-19, 07:37 PM   #63
ChesterDave
Paisley

It's not that bizzare given all the 'forever a bluebird' and 'one of us' type lines they were trotting out
Old 25-03-19, 07:42 PM   #64
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It had to be a weird one for them.

An emotional response was required for someone they never made an emotional connection with.

Legally, they may or may not be liable for the fee. And I guess itís insurance where the debate is being had.

But ultimately they were the reason he had to set foot on that plane. It cannot sit well that they are trying to find clauses to release them from financial (or indeed whose insurance) obligation.

Bad karma.
Old 25-03-19, 08:59 PM   #65
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
It had to be a weird one for them.

An emotional response was required for someone they never made an emotional connection with.

Legally, they may or may not be liable for the fee. And I guess itís insurance where the debate is being had.

But ultimately they were the reason he had to set foot on that plane. It cannot sit well that they are trying to find clauses to release them from financial (or indeed whose insurance) obligation.

Bad karma.
Old 25-03-19, 09:03 PM   #66
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Wtf, they were the reason he got on the plane, so they were in some way culpable? I don't think there is a logical way to link hypocrisy with an emotional response to a death and the financial fall out tbh. Resorting to karma doesn't help.

Last edited by Kenneth; 25-03-19 at 09:07 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-19, 09:30 PM   #67
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I’m not arguing it in court for them though am I

I can talk about karma and divine retribution. I’d feel responsible as the entity that set the chain of events in motion that ended in his death (on 2 deaths). And if I could walk away from the deal feeling i had done well by everyone then that’s what I’d do.

I just think all the hollow sentiment that emanated from them has been shown up to be exactly that.
Old 25-03-19, 10:43 PM   #68
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Well no grief or equivalent response to the death of someone without a person connection is genuine; pick a name on the dropping like flies thread; couldn't really give a shit about any of them truth be told. But collectively we know that there are people with a personal involvement who are affected and do care, so we have a collective theatre of public grief and respect. There is an acceptable level of reverence that is socially expected. Backing that up with writing off £15m though, fuck that. There's no reason to think that the myriad of people involved in the emotional reaction to the incident weren't as genuine as anyone else because the people in charge of keeping the club running realise that writing off £15m that they may not owe is too high a price for a bit of good PR or for an imaginary concept like Karma.

Last edited by Kenneth; 25-03-19 at 11:12 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-19, 11:14 PM   #69
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I agree with that re grief, and it will get worse as we are just in the early days in terms of age of death of Celebrity death culture, in about 10 years there will be one or two a day .

I’d never heard of Sala until his plane went down he was mad to get on that flight.

karma is real though.
Old 25-03-19, 11:38 PM   #70
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

It's not though, it's mumbo jumbo.
Old 26-03-19, 12:09 AM   #71
EwarWoo
Paisley

I have no issue with Cardiff pursuing this, it's just basic sense. Their chairman kicking it off in the media around the guys funeral though was disgusting and everything following that now makes 'em look like twats.
Old 26-03-19, 12:23 AM   #72
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
It's not though, it's mumbo jumbo.

Karmas coming for you.
Old 30-03-19, 07:36 AM   #73
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Finally some truths. Pilot not qualified to fly at night. Massive insurance implications given his £12m cargo.

Quote:
"Colour-blindness stops a pilot from obtaining a night rating straight away, because being able to differentiate between green and red lights is key to flying in the dark," an aviation source told BBC Wales.
"Anything that's on the UK licence applies to the US licence as well, so he couldn't do anything more than the UK licence allows.
"Flying outside the restrictions of your licence is illegal and that's likely to affect the insurance cover for the flight."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47749265

Last edited by Buzzo; 30-03-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 30-03-19, 08:15 AM   #74
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Whoever organised that flight is in the shit. Hiring an unlicensed pilot to fly at night sounds like someone is going to prison.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-19, 10:06 AM   #75
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I wonder how it works? Pilots would have to submit a flight plan and you would imagine at this point licenses would be checked. So I don’t reckon the culpability falls with who never booked the flight unless they knowingly were involved. If they were being deceived, how would anyone know what to look for if you are privately looking for a pilot licenses etc must

The person that would likely be in the most trouble is dead.
Old 30-03-19, 10:16 AM   #76
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Well no grief or equivalent response to the death of someone without a person connection is genuine; pick a name on the dropping like flies thread; couldn't really give a shit about any of them truth be told. But collectively we know that there are people with a personal involvement who are affected and do care, so we have a collective theatre of public grief and respect. There is an acceptable level of reverence that is socially expected. Backing that up with writing off £15m though, fuck that. There's no reason to think that the myriad of people involved in the emotional reaction to the incident weren't as genuine as anyone else because the people in charge of keeping the club running realise that writing off £15m that they may not owe is too high a price for a bit of good PR or for an imaginary concept like Karma.
Old 30-03-19, 12:03 PM   #77
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
Whoever organised that flight is in the shit. Hiring an unlicensed pilot to fly at night sounds like someone is going to prison.
Quote:
Flight plans seen by BBC Wales indicate the flight scheduled to take Argentine player Sala for his first training session with Cardiff City had been due to leave Nantes airport at 09:00 local time on 21 January.

But the flight was postponed until 19:00, at the request of Sala, to allow him to spend the day saying goodbye to his Nantes teammates.

By the time Mr Ibbotson taxied a Piper Malibu plane on to the runway ready for take-off shortly after 19:00, it would have been around an hour and 10 minutes since sunset.

In an interview in February, football agent Willie McKay, who commissioned the flight, told the BBC that he and his family paid for the flight.

He was not involved, he said, in selecting the plane or the pilot and it was not a cost-share arrangement.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47749265
Old 30-03-19, 12:51 PM   #78
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
Not sure the person organising the flight would be in trouble unless they explicitly asked for an unqualified pilot. If, for arguments sake, someone hired a minibus and driver to take a group of people on an outing and it turned out the driver wasn't licensed the person making the booking wouldn't get in the shit. You expect the person to be qualified to provide the servicetthey are offering and wouldn't demand to see that they are
Old 31-03-19, 12:37 AM   #79
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
I wonder how it works? Pilots would have to submit a flight plan and you would imagine at this point licenses would be checked. So I donít reckon the culpability falls with who never booked the flight unless they knowingly were involved. If they were being deceived, how would anyone know what to look for if you are privately looking for a pilot licenses etc must

The person that would likely be in the most trouble is dead.

I am assuming that there must be a company who the agent booked the flight with and who arranged the pilot and plane. The agent said he didn't know the pilot so there must be a middle man and I imagine it will be them that ultimately is responsible
Old 26-04-19, 01:46 PM   #80
Nicey
Paisley

His Dad, just died of a Heart Attack, he was 58, just 3 months after they lost a son. So sad.

est1892 > Football > General Football