It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 21-02-19, 07:35 PM   #2521
Cormack74
Shankly

Some run chase last night - 4th highest ever.

Clearly stuff can go wrong at any time, let alone at a tournament, but they'll be going into the World Cup with as good a chance as they've ever had.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 12:12 AM   #2522
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

My world cup squad

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Stokes
Moeen
Woaks
Plunket
Rashid
Wood
Archer
Hayles
Curran
Willey
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-19, 06:44 PM   #2523
Cormack74
Shankly

Archer definitely.

Not sure about Willey and Plunkett, they were both disappointing in the BBL. Is that T or S Curran you've gone for. I'd certainly include Tom who was brilliant in it, maybe Sam too for his left arm variety but less so than his bro.
Old 27-02-19, 07:06 PM   #2524
Cormack74
Shankly

Buttler 150 off 77 balls. That's some hitting.
Old 27-02-19, 07:15 PM   #2525
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Buttler 150 off 77 balls. That's some hitting.
Most 6s by a team in one innings also (24) - century for Morgan also (80 balls). When they are on they are unstoppable
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 10:01 AM   #2526
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Some game yesterday.

The Windows nearly chased that down! Massive Chris Gayle innings.

Over 800 runs in a 1 dayer!!!
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 10:14 AM   #2527
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Some game yesterday.

The Windows nearly chased that down! Massive GaTeS innings.

Over 800 runs in a 1 dayer!!!
It's no WORD of a lie that they EXCELled, plenty of POWER hitting on POINT and I'd like to ACCESS a ticket for the next game

It's pity Slinks won't visit this page
Old 28-02-19, 10:29 AM   #2528
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
It's pity Slinks won't visit this page
Invite him, it will only take OneNote.
Old 28-02-19, 01:53 PM   #2529
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
Invite him, it will only take OneNote.
Old 26-03-19, 09:56 PM   #2530
Cormack74
Shankly

Surprised no one has brought this up.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it seems a bit shabby to me with no prior warning. I'm sure the fact that JB was winning the game for the oppo had absolutely nothing to do with Ashwin's decision . . to say it wasn't planned seems a touch unbelievable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47697369

Jos Buttler's controversial dismissal overshadowed his Rajasthan Royals side's defeat by Kings XI Punjab in the Indian Premier League.

Buttler reacted furiously when he was run out backing up at the non-striker's end by Ravichandran Ashwin for 69.

Former Australia captain Steve Smith was dismissed for 20 by England's Sam Curran on his IPL return.

Smith's wicket sparked a collapse of 7-16 as the Royals, chasing 184, fell 14 runs short.

West Indies batsman Chris Gayle had earlier hit 79 from 47 balls for Kings XI before he was caught at deep mid-wicket off the bowling of England all-rounder Ben Stokes, who took 2-48.

Rajasthan were 108-1 in the 12th over of their chase when Kings XI captain and India spinner Ashwin stopped in his bowling action and ran out England's Buttler as he left his ground at the non-striker's end.

The dismissal - known as a 'Mankad' after India bowler Vinoo Mankad ran out Australia batsman Bill Brown in a similar manner in 1947 - is within the laws but there is debate as to whether it is within the spirit of the game.

It is the second time Buttler has been out in that fashion. It previously happened when he was run out by Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake in an England one-day international in 2014.

Legendary Australia spinner Shane Warne works with Rajasthan and described Ashwin, who has played 222 times for India, was an "embarrassment to the game".

"So disappointed in Ravi Ashwin as a captain and as a person," Warne said. "All captains sign the IPL wall and agree to play in the spirit of the game.

"Ashwin had no intention of delivering the ball - so it should have been called a dead ball. Over to you [Indian cricket's governing body] BCCI - this a not a good look for the IPL.

"As captain of your side, you set the standard of the way the team wants to play and what the team stands for.

"Why do such a disgraceful and low act like that tonight? You must live with yourself and it's too late to say sorry, Mr Ashwin. You will be remembered for that low act."

Ashwin, though, denied he had gone against the spirit of the game. "On my part, it was very instinctive," he told a post-match news conference.

"It wasn't planned or anything like that. It's there within the rules of the game. I don't understand where the spirit of the game comes in."
Old 26-03-19, 10:40 PM   #2531
EwarWoo
Paisley

It's much simpler than changing the rules. Stay behind the line or you may get out.

He's tried to edge forward early for a running advantage and been pinged. Not sure the fuss.
Old 26-03-19, 10:48 PM   #2532
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
It's much simpler than changing the rules. Stay behind the line or you may get out.

He's tried to edge forward early for a running advantage and been pinged. Not sure the fuss.

Non-strikers deliberately push it thinking nobody would dare do this. Trying to get a sneaky edge to eek a few more quick singles, well fuck 'em if they think they can do it with impunity.
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 10:56 PM   #2533
Cormack74
Shankly

Absolutely legal of course but in this instance replays showed Buttler was in his ground when Ashwin's foot landed at the crease but then left it before the bowler removed the bails, so he wasn't trying to edge forward, merely backing up in the usual way that one would in any form of cricket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47714310

A statement from the MCC, read: "Some feel that Ashwin delayed his action to allow Buttler the chance to leave his ground and that Buttler was in his ground when he expected the ball to be released.

"If it was a deliberate delay, that would be unfair and against the spirit of cricket. Ashwin claims this not to be the case."

So basically a pre-planned act of shittiness compunded by the fact that he could have warned JB first if JB had been backing up ridiculously early and which would be the usual convention.

Last edited by Cormack74; 26-03-19 at 10:59 PM.
Old 27-03-19, 12:43 AM   #2534
ChesterDave
Paisley

Not seen the clip myself but seen a lot of comments suggesting Ashwin had no intention of releasing the ball which means it should be dead ball.
Old 27-03-19, 12:56 AM   #2535
ChesterDave
Paisley

Just found it on Yt. For me, if the run up was not deliberately interrupted Butler would have been in his crease. He's still in his crease when Ashwin stops and turns
Old 27-03-19, 10:08 AM   #2536
Yozza
Shankly

Yeah I think it was deliberate

Shitty thing to do - just try & get him out by playing the game ffs

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-19, 10:21 AM   #2537
Les Zeffelin
Houllier

A bit of a snide act. I actually thought they'd changed the rule but maybe I'm thinking of the underarm thing with Trevor Chappell.

Old 13-05-19, 10:37 PM   #2538
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Put the smartphone down Aggers old chap. This spat really isn’t cricket

Barney Ronay

The BBC has reprimanded its cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew after a foul-mouthed rant against journalist Jonathan Liew

Oh, stop it Aggers. The news that Jonathan Agnew MBE, the BBC’s voice of cricket, has been reprimanded by the corporation for repeatedly calling a journalist at the Independent “a cunt” might come as a bit of shock to those who follow Agnew’s sunny broadcast presence.

Everyone loves a high-profile tiff. But this isn’t really a tiff, just a bad judgment call on one side. Agnew has since apologised to Jonathan Liew after the abusive direct messages came to light.

I should declare an interest here. I know and like Liew, and feel dismayed on his behalf that he should receive a sustained and menacing screed of abuse from a senior figure in his industry. I also understand why Agnew was upset, as he believed that Liew was calling him a racist.

The abusive messages were a response to an article Liew had written in which he expressed concern about some of the language used in the media to describe Jofra Archer’s selection for England. Liew was writing about the notion of structural prejudice in the way we express ourselves, a shifting, gossamer thing that can often creep in unexpectedly but which can reinforce unhelpful tropes and stereotypes.

This was the passage towards the end that led to the BBC cricket correspondent’s foul-mouthed tirade, not to mention some unpleasant accompanying allusions to mental health problems.

Liew wrote: “‘A huge call,’ warned Jonathan Agnew. ‘Morale and camaraderie is a big part in team performance.’ Which feels instinctively unarguable – who doesn’t love morale and camaraderie, after all? – until you begin to ask why Archer is deemed such a grave threat to it.”

There was a comparison with Agnew’s warmer welcome for Gary Ballance, a white player of Zimbabwean origin. Further down, and summing up a lot of elements above, Liew wrote: “There’s an incendiary word you could posit to describe all this, but I’m not going to use it.”

This was the first response from Agnew: “Fucking disgraceful. You have massive chips on your shoulder ... you are a racist.”

Liew replied that this was not about name calling but a wider societal issue to do with “the huge privilege we enjoy in the media, the subtle and often unconscious biases that occasionally seep into our language … Happy to engage further on this topic if you are prepared to put your pantomime outrage to one side. If not apologies for the offence caused and I wish you well.”

What came next was an unanswered blurt of abusive fury.

Agnew: “You really have issues”

Agnew: “Apologise now”.

Agnew: “I’m going no further on the advice of people who know you and think you are a cunt. I know you are. Think on.”

Agnew: “CUNT”

Agnew: “You are so strange I don’t know if you’d be upset to know those who think you are a cunt”

Agnew: “If you think so in hindsight then you have a chance. If you don’t ...

Agnew: “I’m SO angry”

Agnew: “Book yourself in somewhere”

Agnew: “You need help”

Agnew: “Who the fuck are you?”

At the end of which, we probably all need help. What’s going on here exactly? I should point out that Liew is a waspish but well-liked journalist. The notes of the Cricket Writers’ Club meeting where Agnew raised his grievances in a written statement record the room bursting into laughter when Liew, who was late, walked in halfway through.

The other interest to declare here is that Agnew has done something similar but far less serious and bullying with me. Those who know him say Agnew is a very nice man, that he can just be thin-skinned. This is probably right. In my case Agnew was angered by an article in which I said I preferred TalkSport’s coverage and the Agnew-style voice could be a bar to cricket for some who found him slightly bumptious and Middle England.

In response he sent me a weirdly personal angry message. Later there was a strange email late at night referring to a listener interaction, and telling me “people like you” don’t realise how loved he is, how nice he is, what a beautiful person. In the course of which he took time to very lovably call me “a wanker”. Which is, you have to admit, quite funny.

At the time I suggested he should stop doing this kind of thing as it’s just a bad idea. He has a perfect right to take issue with people. I’m glad he cares enough. He will perhaps call me a cunt for writing this, and I defend his right to do so. Maybe he’s right!

I don’t think Jonathan Agnew is a racist. I don’t think Liew ever suggested he was one but read the messages to Liew and something else emerges. Not just the sense of a pattern of unpleasant behaviour but something wider too. Abusing younger journalists from a position of power is a damaging thing to do. Even more uncomfortable is the spectacle of one of English cricket’s most influential media figures abusing a young English journalist of Chinese heritage who has brought up an issue of race, who is trying to talk about nuance and about the way we use language.

Agnew can disagree with this or take it on board. He might say, I am angry about this, explain yourself. But if the response is just: you are a cunt, then he is clearly not getting this right.

Agnew has now resigned from the Cricket Writers’ Club; quite rightly given his abuse of another member. And even if Danny Baker got the boot this week for something far less deliberately vitriolic, the BBC has probably done the right thing in reprimanding him.

In the end this is a very minor bump in the road at the start of cricket’s big summer, something Agnew will be at the heart of. Perhaps as the sport tries to spread its wings a little it is a good moment to think about voices, about how we talk to others, and who we want to see doing that. This is something to learn from. And in the meantime, do put the sweary smartphone down my dear old thing.
Old 14-05-19, 08:26 AM   #2539
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Incredible isn't it. He often reacts badly to even the mildest criticism. He's really shown himself up.
Old 14-05-19, 08:45 AM   #2540
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

I can see how he might take offence at Liew implying he was racist but what a way to make the situation worse! He comes across as unhinged - do you reckon he was pissed?

I must admit, this line made me laugh

“I’m going no further on the advice of people who know you and think you are a cunt. I know you are. Think on.”
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 09:03 AM   #2541
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Incredible isn't it. He often reacts badly to even the mildest criticism. He's really shown himself up.
The better way for sure would be to calmly respond using his own media platform. Going all Sweary on the texts shows he has very little understanding of the (valid) point being made. Take a deep breath Aggers.

The original article doesn’t mean he is racist, but his lack of attempt to see the point made suggests he casually is.

Racism within cricket eh - who’d have thunk it Lords members look like an enlightened bunch
Old 14-05-19, 10:08 AM   #2542
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Do you remember when he got in a big twitter fight with KPs missus?
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 10:12 AM   #2543
labourRed
Shankly

Sending ranty emails late at night while presumably pissed. Not a tremendously clever thing to do, i'd say.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 10:25 AM   #2544
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Yep
Old 14-05-19, 10:35 AM   #2545
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post

What about?

Googled it. I have no memory of this at all

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-9784526.html

Last edited by Buzzo; 14-05-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 14-05-19, 07:49 PM   #2546
ChesterDave
Paisley

England smashing it about against Pakistan. Good value for the World Cup.
Old 14-05-19, 08:32 PM   #2547
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

What about?

Googled it. I have no memory of this at all

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-9784526.html
So in the recent spat he comes across as a raging loon, in this he comes across as a petty petulant child.

Not sure social media is his thing
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-19, 08:37 PM   #2548
ChesterDave
Paisley

Agnew's reply was over the top but it's a bit shitty for Liew to chime ;
"There’s an incendiary word you could posit to describe all this, but I’m not going to use it.”

If you're going to veil it so thinly just use the fucking word.
Old 14-05-19, 10:18 PM   #2549
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I think it is a really good article personally, and Liew chooses his words wisely and carefully. There is a reason Agnew is so pissed off. It is because Jonathan Liew is right and has called him out. Agnew should consider the point and what made him comment differently on Jofra Archer than he has on any number of other cricketers in the past.

Quote:
England have always had foreign-born cricketers – so why would Jofra Archer have any effect on the team’s ‘culture’?

COLUMN: The loaded language of Archer's sceptics is that of the affronted nativist - the same objections you hear about asylum seekers being assigned council houses or ‘benefit tourists’ claiming free healthcare

Jonathan Liew Chief Sports Writer
Saturday 27 April 2019 09:30

So let’s talk about Boyd Rankin. Once Ireland’s Boyd Rankin, then England’s Boyd Rankin, and now - by a process far too arcane and protracted to bore you with here - Ireland’s Boyd Rankin again. These days, Rankin is best known for his role in England’s disastrous 2013-14 Ashes tour, where he was not picked when fit, then picked when injured, and whose participation stretched to several overs of sterile, grimacing medium pace, delivered to a roster of chortling Australian batsmen at the SCG.

Here’s the thing, though. Despite being born in Ireland, playing more than 50 times for Ireland, and only qualifying for England a matter of months earlier, nobody - at least on this side of the Irish Sea - seemed the least bit perturbed at Rankin’s initial selection. Nobody questioned the wisdom of tinkering with a winning side by parachuting in an untried fast bowler at short notice. Nobody raised qualms about whether, ahead of England’s biggest assignment of all, the selection of a quiet farmer from Bready in County Tyrone would disrupt team spirit or affect morale.

It’s a similar story with the dozen or so other naturalised England cricketers of recent years. Nobody queried whether the selection of Gary Ballance for the same tour was “morally right”. Nobody fretted about whether Keaton Jennings would “fit into the team culture”. Nobody cried foul play or affected lavish concern for the player Tom Curran replaced in the England side. Which makes it all the more curious that as Jofra Archer prepares to join up with his new team-mates for the first time this weekend, these somehow appear to be the burning questions.

Archer is 24 years old, and British. It says so on his passport: the only passport he’s ever had. He’s one of the most exciting young cricketers in the world in any format: a hair-raising, seat-wetting, popcorn-hurling Hollywood blockbuster of a player. A thrilling fast bowler. A destructive batsman. The sort of fielder you would pay to watch. You might think, then, that Archer’s promotion to the England squad - just in time for a home World Cup this summer - would be greeted with suitably untrammelled enthusiasm.

Instead, the reaction has been loaded with caveats and regrets, with prevarication and pearl-clutching angst. And indeed, the entire affaire Archer resembles nothing so much as a classic English comedy of manners, in which ridiculous trifles like status and etiquette are elevated to matters of the highest importance, where every utterance is lined with a devastating - and occasionally sinister - subtext.

The problem - albeit, only really a problem if you want it to be - is that Archer was born in Barbados, and spent his entire childhood there. He learned his cricket in the Caribbean, but after being left out of the West Indies squad for the under-19 World Cup in 2014, decided that his international future would lie with the country of his father’s birth: England. This last fact is often conveniently overlooked by those who lament that Archer is not playing for the West Indies, and blame the England and Wales Cricket Board for cruelly scavenging him.

And so, after a seven-year qualification period was sneakily reduced to three in order - you suspect - to get Archer in before the World Cup - here he is, and not everyone is delighted. “Whether someone should just walk in at the drop of a hat because they’re available, whether that’s the right thing, I don’t know,” said all-rounder David Willey, one of the seamers most threatened by Archer’s emergence. “It probably wouldn’t be fair, morally,” said Chris Woakes, when prompted and goaded by an unscrupulous BBC interviewer. “If he was to come in and someone was to miss out, it would be extremely unfortunate.”

Archer is an explosive bat, a brilliant quick bowler and top fielder (Getty Images)
Mark Wood, another of England’s existing fast-bowling contingent, had a more colourful analogy, comparing Archer’s selection to Newcastle United’s signing of the Colombian striker Faustino Asprilla in 1996. Here, again, the subtext was unmistakable: Asprilla’s much-heralded arrival was followed by one of the most spectacular collapses in the history of the Premier League. “All of a sudden,” Wood warned, “you can lose the momentum and drop down.”

Naturally, all three also paid warm tributes to Archer’s talent, and stressed they would have no problem with his selection. Equally, though, the register of their reservations was impossible to ignore. The loaded language, the suggestion of queue-jumping, of unfairness, of disruption to an established population: this is, intentional or not, the vernacular of the affronted nativist. They’re the same objections you hear about asylum seekers being assigned council houses or ‘benefit tourists’ claiming free healthcare. Nothing personal, you understand. It's not your fault. But, you know, we have a way of doing things here.

Often, the message is subtler, wrapped and swaddled in layers of well-meaning code. “A huge call,” warned Jonathan Agnew. “Morale and camaraderie is a big part in team performance.” Which feels instinctively unarguable - who doesn’t love morale and camaraderie, after all? - until you begin to ask why Archer is deemed such a grave threat to it. And why no other player, foreign-born or not, is ever subjected to the same standard. (“Deserves his call, clearly a good player,” was Agnew’s snap verdict on Ballance’s Ashes call-up in 2013, in case you’re wondering.)

Equally, it’s worth asking why Michael Vaughan - broadly supportive of Archer - nevertheless feels “there are questions about whether he fits into the team culture”, when Archer has displayed no indication of being anything other than a sound, inspirational team-mate. Or why coach Trevor Bayliss wonders whether Archer will “upset the applecart”. This is, by the way, a one-day team that has fielded 21 different players in the last nine months. Somehow, England’s morale and team culture have miraculously managed to survive the selections of Dom Bess, Tom Curran and Olly Stone unscathed. But no, it’s Archer who’s going to ruin things.

Tom Curran was born in South Africa... but his affect on morale was never questioned

There’s an incendiary word you could posit to describe all this, but I’m not going to use it. All I will point out is that there’s nothing new in English cricketers being sourced from far and wide. The team for the third ever Test match in 1879 featured two players born outside England: Lord Harris (Trinidad) and Leland Hone (Ireland). One in seven male England cricketers was born abroad. It’s a myth that nationality and identity are somehow more fluid and complex these days. England sides have always been diverse, a product not just of our multicultural present but our imperial past. Borders are porous and wealth is unequal and rules are bent, and now Jofra Archer gets to play for England. You can celebrate it or you can castigate it, but that doesn’t change the fact that it just is.

The sadness is that already, Archer clearly senses on some level that he may not be entirely welcome. “I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes,” he said this week, and should England fall short of expectations this summer, be in no doubt who will be made to carry the can. Such is the fate of the outsider, the other, the guy who may play a good game but whose face - for whatever reason - just doesn’t fit. This, like it or not, is what we talk about when we talk about Jofra. You may have got in on a technicality. You may have a right to stay and work. But don’t for a second presume that you’re one of us.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8887246.html

est1892 > General > General Sports