It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 17-01-19, 03:35 PM   #241
fah-q
Touching cloth

To be honest if you give him the ball and he can lash it in from distance does he need to be anything other than solid in his other midfield play?

His current manager made a career of pretty much doing that.
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 03:58 PM   #242
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fah-q View Post
To be honest if you give him the ball and he can lash it in from distance does he need to be anything other than solid in his other midfield play?

His current manager made a career of pretty much doing that.
Good point

He does though yeah, for a Jurgen Klopp team he does anyway.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 05:39 PM   #243
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Aside from the screamers he's scoring, what's his overall game like? I watched some of the first half last night and he was pretty quiet. He had a few nice touches but that's all I noticed.

I really want him to succeed here but I'm not sure his overall game is up to it?
Didn't he assist the other goal too?
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 08:54 PM   #244
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
[/B]

that’s the most important thing because surely our loan system is to give players the chance to get experience and then come into the first team squad. I know they build up their reputation making them more saleable also but if Wilson doesn’t get a shot then others may think twice about joining us.

Gomez, Trent and hopefully Brewster are youngsters that have gone straight into the first team squad and bypassed the loan process. I am struggling to think of a player who went on loan, did well and came into the first team squad to get a decent amount of minutes.

The last player that I can think of who came back from a loan to become a regular was Danny Murphy which was obviously a while ago. We seem to either have top quality players who come straight into the side (Gerrard, Carragher, Fowler, Owen, Sterling) or they have come into the side because of injury and have been squad players (Flanagan, Robinson etc).

The players who have come back from loan only seem to have played a handful of games before being moved on to another loan deal or have just been sold. We need to make the loan system work for us like it does for other clubs
Old 17-01-19, 09:01 PM   #245
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

So he's more likely to go to Bournemouth for £19m than Real Madrid for £50m?
Old 17-01-19, 09:41 PM   #246
Tatterdemalion
Shankly

I always thought loan business was just a way of bumping up a player's transfer value. Why would you trust another team's youth set-up for players you genuinely want to keep? Keep those lads at home and for those who are good, but not quite good enough - send 'em out to boost their value before putting them up for sale. Hopefully this lad is different.

Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 17-01-19 at 09:44 PM.
Tatterdemalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-19, 08:43 AM   #247
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I always thought loan business was just a way of bumping up a player's transfer value. Why would you trust another team's youth set-up for players you genuinely want to keep? Keep those lads at home and for those who are good, but not quite good enough - send 'em out to boost their value before putting them up for sale. Hopefully this lad is different.
It's not about trusting other sides youth team, it's trusting their first team to give them game time. The problem is with the modern game is that squads are so big, pressure is so high that there are very few opportunities. Add to that the gap between youth/reserve football and the top end of the PL and CL is massive. I think we are going to have to use this type of method of getting players through.
Old 18-01-19, 09:31 AM   #248
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Didn't he assist the other goal too?
So apart from the assist and the worldie FK goal, what else did he do?!

Last edited by Pablo; 18-01-19 at 11:28 AM.
Old 18-01-19, 02:45 PM   #249
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
So apart from the assist and the worldie FK goal, what else did he do?!
Old 19-01-19, 06:07 PM   #250
Exiled_red
Paisley

A goal and an assist for him today for Derby in their 2-1 win against Reading
Old 19-01-19, 06:12 PM   #251
Fuzzy
Fagan

But what else does he do though?
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-19, 06:32 PM   #252
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Sell
Old 19-01-19, 07:58 PM   #253
gratziani
Dalglish

Quote:

Sell
For 30 million
gratziani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 11:19 AM   #254
Rigadon
Dalglish

Could turn out to be a more disciplined version of Shaqiri.
Old 20-01-19, 01:10 PM   #255
Gray
Dalglish

Championship player of the year?
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 01:23 PM   #256
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
Could turn out to be a more disciplined version of Shaqiri.
Is Shaq not disciplined? (Not being sarcastic or funny, genuinely wondering what you mean)
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 02:26 PM   #257
Rigadon
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Is Shaq not disciplined? (Not being sarcastic or funny, genuinely wondering what you mean)
Thought I'd read that Klopp was sometimes frustrated at Shaqiri's positional play. I've probably got it wrong.
Old 20-01-19, 04:34 PM   #258
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
Thought I'd read that Klopp was sometimes frustrated at Shaqiri's positional play. I've probably got it wrong.
TBF he did say something to that effect when he hooked him at h/t against Southampton, but in Shaq's defence he wasn't here that long and has probably improved that area of his game.
Old 21-01-19, 07:30 AM   #259
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
A goal and an assist for him today for Derby in their 2-1 win against Reading
And a hell of a goal it was too.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 08:21 AM   #260
Fuzzy
Fagan

That's from a while ago, this time it was a deflection.
Old 27-01-19, 09:49 PM   #261
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Just found out he shares my birthday
Old 02-02-19, 04:14 PM   #262
Fuzzy
Fagan

Got some fuckin strike on him, only a bit unlucky this time;

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC...e_post_vs_pne/

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC...woodworkagain/
Old 02-02-19, 04:16 PM   #263
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Just found out he shares my birthday
I'm sure the solace you take from this ends when you compare your age with his.
Old 04-02-19, 09:43 AM   #264
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Fantastic strikes again. Really unlucky. Must admit Derby are now the first result I check for to see how he's got on. Nearly always seems to have a great game for them.

Still not sure he has a future with us, which is extremely harsh, but either way I think he's set for a really good career one way or another.

Last edited by Pablo; 04-02-19 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 11:34 AM   #265
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Fantastic strikes again. Really unlucky. Must admit Derby are now the first result I check for to see how he's got on. Nearly always seems to have a great game for them.

Still not sure he has a future with us, which is extremely harsh, but either way I think he's set for a really good career one way or another.
He looks better than Lallana who still gets the odd few minutes here and there

I reckon he will get a go next year and obviously the better he does the more time he will get
Old 04-02-19, 11:49 AM   #266
Exiled_red
Paisley

I think he will be a useful addition to the squad even if he is only coming off the bench, he seemingly offers a threat of goals from distance, which is something none of our other players really have the ability to do consistently, sure there are players in there capable of it but they are so infrequent that they aren't really an option, this lad seems to be doing it regularly at least at Championship level.
Old 09-03-19, 10:14 AM   #267
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Apologies if I've done a Bender.

Quote:
Harry Wilson has been a stand-out performer on loan in the Championship for 18 months, but that might not be enough to earn him a place for Liverpool.

Having starred for Hull City in the second half of last year, Wilson was sent to Derby County for 2018/19.

There he has been a key player for the Rams in their push for promotion, with his goalscoring exploits regularly earning him headlines.

The talented wide forward has gradually evolved into an all-round attacking midfielder this season, often playing in the No. 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 under Frank Lampard.

His progression has been such that many have expected him to take a natural step up for next season and become part of the Reds’ own squad, but Neil Jones of Goal.com says the club aren’t quite as convinced just yet.

Indeed, while the Welshman will have his usual pre-season opportunity to impress, the plan at this stage seems to be to loan him out once more, this time to a Premier League team.

Wilson turns 22 in just a couple of weeks and another loan for next season might indicate a surprising lack of trust in his talents.

Being 23 by the time he returns, with just a single senior Liverpool appearance to his name, seems to make it unlikely that he’d be a success story at first-team level. It’s arguable that even next term he wouldn’t really be considered a “youngster” any more.

While there’s no upper age limit to when a player has to make the breakthrough—Stephen Warnock was one who pushed into the side only at age 23 after a series of loans—it’s not common at the elite end of the Premier League that players do so

Jones suggests that talks had taken place between Liverpool and Leicester over Wilson heading to the Foxes for a season, but Brendan Rodgers’ arrival has changed that.

It would be imperative, if Wilson was still genuinely seen as an option for the following year, that he has a full year of top-flight action under his belt.

Rodgers’ refusal to trust young loan players at Celtic has been noted, and now Liverpool are wary of sending their youthful talent to their ex-boss.

He also tried to sign Rodgers at Celtic last season, only for the Reds to reject that move—and Rodgers and Michael Edwards also didn’t see eye to eye while together at Liverpool.

A number of transfer targets were favoured by one or the other, leading to a power play at times, and it seems improbable that after certain recent experiences, the Reds would now let a young player leave to a team, or manager, whom they didn’t trust entirely to further the education of.

Offers in excess of £20 million could be fielded in summer, but while many supporters have called for Wilson to at least replace perhaps the likes of Adam Lallana in the first-team squad, it seems Jurgen Klopp and Co. are yet to be quite as convinced.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/0...2gL1_R_TNEmFaQ

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/why-...f1j79tq4xp2dl4
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 10:33 AM   #268
RedReet

Always expected that the club would look to send him to a PL club next year, but am hoping he tears it up in pre-season and is given a chance.
Old 09-03-19, 11:14 AM   #269
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Didn't Harry Kane and Andros Townsend have numerous loans before making it? Although I appreciate some might say Townsend probably still hasn't made it
Old 09-03-19, 12:19 PM   #270
labourRed
Shankly

We can't buy a goal from outside the box and this guy chips them in for fun. I'd be slightly miffed if we couldn't add him to the bench next season ahead of Lallana.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 12:24 PM   #271
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Always expected that the club would look to send him to a PL club next year, but am hoping he tears it up in pre-season and is given a chance.
I don't think what he does in preseason games will make much of a difference, i think it will have been decided one way or another before we are deep into the preseason schedule. The club he goes to and details of the deal may not be worked out if a loan is what is decided, but the decision will be taken.

I think that it depends one our signings, we clearly need to sign at least one forward as a replacement for Sturridge and because we have very limited back up options. That could increase to 2 if Origi leaves as well. Wilson seems to offer the threat of goals from outside the box which we just don't have at the moment, I think he would be a useful option at present.
Old 09-03-19, 12:27 PM   #272
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
We can't buy a goal from outside the box and this guy chips them in for fun. I'd be slightly miffed if we couldn't add him to the bench next season ahead of Lallana.
I think he could add something, but I think we need to consider his development too. It's a difficult balance.

Also I think Lallana could be on his way in the summer, I don't see much of a role for him as he doesn't suit our style of play anymore.
Old 09-03-19, 12:32 PM   #273
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post

Rodgers’ refusal to trust young loan players at Celtic has been noted, and now Liverpool are wary of sending their youthful talent to their ex-boss.

He also tried to sign Rodgers at Celtic last season, only for the Reds to reject that move—and Rodgers and Michael Edwards also didn’t see eye to eye while together at Liverpool.

Brendan's ego so big he wanted to sign himself as a player
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 12:37 PM   #274
RedReet

Quote:
I don't think what he does in preseason games will make much of a difference, i think it will have been decided one way or another before we are deep into the preseason schedule. The club he goes to and details of the deal may not be worked out if a loan is what is decided, but the decision will be taken.

I think that it depends one our signings, we clearly need to sign at least one forward as a replacement for Sturridge and because we have very limited back up options. That could increase to 2 if Origi leaves as well. Wilson seems to offer the threat of goals from outside the box which we just don't have at the moment, I think he would be a useful option at present.
Possibly (because it's Wilson and he always seems to have to do that little bit more) but we've seen in the past that some players have played their way into contention for the first team squad on the back of preseason. Gomez and Solanke would be two recent examples, albeit one was before Klopp's arrival.

I know it was slightly different for them as they were set to remain at the club anyway, but say for example a £15m bid came in for Lallana who had an indifferent preseason, it would be hard for the club to turn down if Wilson was performing to a higher level.

Edit: Unless of course we just see him as a cash cow, get as much for him in loan deals before flogging him to the highest bidder.
Old 09-03-19, 02:00 PM   #275
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

I used to like Lallana but he is yesterday's man. In the position of attacking midfielders Harry is clearly the coming force. I'm convinced he's already a better option than lallana. Gini, Fabinho and an attacking midfielder is what we need. One of a fit Ox, Shak or Harry for me. I think he'd get loads of games. I actually think it's a complement that they want him to be playing week in week out at a high level.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 02:48 PM   #276
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Possibly (because it's Wilson and he always seems to have to do that little bit more) but we've seen in the past that some players have played their way into contention for the first team squad on the back of preseason. Gomez and Solanke would be two recent examples, albeit one was before Klopp's arrival.

I know it was slightly different for them as they were set to remain at the club anyway, but say for example a £15m bid came in for Lallana who had an indifferent preseason, it would be hard for the club to turn down if Wilson was performing to a higher level.

Edit: Unless of course we just see him as a cash cow, get as much for him in loan deals before flogging him to the highest bidder.
I don't think that they were kept on preseason form I think that we were probably already planning to keep them to be honest (although I could be wrong).
Old 09-03-19, 02:52 PM   #277
RedReet

Quote:
I don't think that they were kept on preseason form I think that we were probably already planning to keep them to be honest (although I could be wrong).
They were both new signings, but neither were expected start the season as first team players, but they played so well in preseason they couldn't be dropped.
Old 09-03-19, 02:56 PM   #278
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
I used to like Lallana but he is yesterday's man. In the position of attacking midfielders Harry is clearly the coming force. I'm convinced he's already a better option than lallana. Gini, Fabinho and an attacking midfielder is what we need. One of a fit Ox, Shak or Harry for me. I think he'd get loads of games. I actually think it's a complement that they want him to be playing week in week out at a high level.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I think a big part of it will be where we see him getting most of his games when he plays. Do we see him as one of the front three or as an attacking midfielder? At present I feel that if he were here he would be as good an option as Origi and a better option that Sturridge in the front three. As an attacking midfield option he would probably be ahead of Lallana but find himself behind Shaqiri and Keita, the problem is we don't always play an attacking midfielder, next season Ox is back as well, so I feel his opportunities in that role would be more limited.

My view is if we sign a couple of top quality forwards sending him on loan to PL side probably makes sense if not then it makes sense to keep him, I don't really see him getting many games in midfield.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 09-03-19 at 02:58 PM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC