It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 20-01-19, 12:08 PM   #8361
spud_gun
Paisley

Broner is such a dick

The beat down Maidana gave him a few years back is a fight I'll occasionally put on to cheer me up.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 12:21 PM   #8362
Zapater
Dalglish

I only saw the first 9 rounds, but on evidence of that, you'd maybe give Broner 2. Manny was throwing a missing a lot, but Broner was hardly effective on the counter that you'd give him rounds. Pretty dull fight overall for me. For the tools that Broner has, he rarely has exciting fights or wins comprehensively. For me, he'd have benefited at staying at lower weight classes. He doesn't have many options from here. He'll have to go way down and needs 3 or 4 wins against solid fighters to establish himself again.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 01:20 PM   #8363
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Fuck me

Old 20-01-19, 01:34 PM   #8364
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Christmas chunks
Old 20-01-19, 03:22 PM   #8365
Vermilion
Shooterista

Ouch! if that went any longer the skin could slip off his head.

They need an Upholsterer not a cut man.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 05:19 PM   #8366
Zapater
Dalglish

Caught a replay of the fight. Jack is one tough bastard to sustain that cut and still press forward in a difficult fight. Surprised the doc didn't stop it, that is definitely a potentially career ending injury. It'll take months for that to heal and will probably open up each fight.

Old trainers often say that southpaws should be identified and burnt at birth. Browne is testament to this. What an absolute nightmare to fight. He's tall, rangy, awkward, unorthodox, comes in with his head, throws from weird angles etc. An orthodox style fighter like Jack (in approach, not just style) will always have huge difficulties with a southpaw like Browne. I haven't followed his career, but I'm not surprised he's undefeated and that this is his first real big name. I'd avoid him like the plague. Different kind of fighter, but it's a bit like Paul Williams when he was a welterweight, no one wanted anything to do with him.
Old 22-01-19, 02:03 PM   #8367
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Caught a replay of the fight. Jack is one tough bastard to sustain that cut and still press forward in a difficult fight. Surprised the doc didn't stop it, that is definitely a potentially career ending injury. It'll take months for that to heal and will probably open up each fight.

Old trainers often say that southpaws should be identified and burnt at birth. Browne is testament to this. What an absolute nightmare to fight. He's tall, rangy, awkward, unorthodox, comes in with his head, throws from weird angles etc. An orthodox style fighter like Jack (in approach, not just style) will always have huge difficulties with a southpaw like Browne. I haven't followed his career, but I'm not surprised he's undefeated and that this is his first real big name. I'd avoid him like the plague. Different kind of fighter, but it's a bit like Paul Williams when he was a welterweight, no one wanted anything to do with him.

Browne's lack of big fights is mostly down to him.

Fights against Kovalev and Gvozdyk fell apart due to issues on Browne's side.

He has also avoided a few fighters that have been calling him out like Kalajdzic, who he beat in a very very tight bout with Kalajdzic still looking for a rematch, so there are indications that he is not easy to deal with outside the ring.

He has been arrested a few times too which only points further to his outside the ring issues.

He is a very awkward individual in the ring though.

I do hope that Jack takes the time to let his body heal and then evaluates whether he should retire or not based on the healing process.

I really like Jack as a fighter as he is one hell of a game guy in the ring and not short on heart or talent, but I hope he is in a position financially that he can retire if the cut does not heal properly rather than having to plod on to make extra cash.
Old 27-01-19, 12:20 AM   #8368
Mr Darko
Benitez

Excellent piece on Beyonce

Mr Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 01:02 PM   #8369
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Had a good career, majorly won me over as his career progressed. Seems a sound bloke. Good luck to him.

Old 28-01-19, 01:10 PM   #8370
Gray
Dalglish

Yes, I warmed to him after the first Froch fight.(and grew to dislike Froch)
Met him at the local village fair where he was a judge at the dog show. Offered him a few quid to back my hound but I don't think he took me seriously. I didn't win.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-19, 01:12 PM   #8371
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 28-01-19, 02:02 PM   #8372
spud_gun
Paisley

Glad he's retiring. He took a lot of punishment. That fight with Badou Jack took years of his career.

Hope he's made enough money not to be tempted by a return to the ring in a few years time.
Old 28-01-19, 06:49 PM   #8373
Zapater
Dalglish

Good for him, a precedent more fighters should follow. Didn't have a hell of a lot left. His performance in the first Froch fight was electric. Don't think he's been as good since, mentally I think that broke him a little. The circumstances it ended. Was a bit lucky to win a world title, was a bit of a freebie but he did take on some of the best so I suppose he deserved it.

Also interesting to note that there was no mention of Adam Booth or David Haye in his full statement. A bit odd considering how long he was with the Hayemaker stable. Must be some serious bad blood between them, still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Glad he's retiring. He took a lot of punishment. That fight with Badou Jack took years of his career.

Hope he's made enough money not to be tempted by a return to the ring in a few years time.
Jack seems to have that effect on people. Relentless. DeGale looks shot after him and we saw what happened to Stevenson. Very underrated.
Old 28-01-19, 10:07 PM   #8374
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Good for him, a precedent more fighters should follow. Didn't have a hell of a lot left. His performance in the first Froch fight was electric. Don't think he's been as good since, mentally I think that broke him a little.
Also - and it's disturbing how this guy seems to have been forgotten, abandoned even - he must surely have been broken by the injuries suffered by Gutknecht. As far as I know, and there's precious little info out there, the guy is a vegetable, unable to walk or talk. It's fucking awful. I watched that fight, and the guy took a relentless pounding.
Old 28-01-19, 11:40 PM   #8375
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Also - and it's disturbing how this guy seems to have been forgotten, abandoned even - he must surely have been broken by the injuries suffered by Gutknecht. As far as I know, and there's precious little info out there, the guy is a vegetable, unable to walk or talk. It's fucking awful. I watched that fight, and the guy took a relentless pounding.
I genuinely believe he'd have had a better career if that fight had reached a natural conclusion, even if he ended up getting knocked out by Froch. As odd as that sounds, it's almost where he got his 'nearly man' tag and from there he lived up to expectation. Really got in his head.

If you check his full statement on Instagram, he does mention Gutknecht and how he almost quit in the aftermath. I can't imagine the psychological damage it must have on a person. Everyone knows the risks involved in the sport, but it doesn't make moments like that any easier to swallow. There's definitely a sense that 'it won't happen to me' in boxing gyms and nobody likes to talk about it. I remember when Eubank started talking about the risks he takes prior to the Benn fight and Jonathan Ross of all people who was conducting the interview basically told him to shut up. It's not easy to sell, but it shouldn't be swept under the carpet.
Old 02-02-19, 03:29 PM   #8376
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 02-02-19, 04:16 PM   #8377
spud_gun
Paisley

AJ and Hearn should be fucking ashamed of themselves.
Old 03-02-19, 07:38 PM   #8378
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Not a fan of boxing but I've sparred with James Degale and Kevin Lueshing, met Nigel Benn and Benn, Lloyd Honeyghan and Tony Currie lived next door to my Uncle in a house he rented to them.

I coulda been an ITK contender
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 10:10 PM   #8379
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

You're not a boxing fan but you've sparred with James Degale?!?
Old 04-02-19, 12:24 PM   #8380
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post

AJ and Hearn should be fucking ashamed of themselves.
Never even heard of him or anyone he's ever fought. PPV for that? What a joke.

Last edited by Pablo; 04-02-19 at 12:27 PM.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 09:13 PM   #8381
Zapater
Dalglish

Came across this, made me laugh. Have a lot of time for Ward, quite articulate, his tough childhood makes me like him more. Hope he doesn't come back and risk doing an Aaron Pryor. When you've fought good fights and retired undefeated, you should stay... undefeated.
Old 23-02-19, 06:58 PM   #8382
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

ITV advertising the Eubank vs Degale fight with a picture of Eubank and someone who's clearly not Degale
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-19, 10:43 PM   #8383
lackyboy
Houllier

Anyone have a stream link?
Old 23-02-19, 11:41 PM   #8384
Zapater
Dalglish

We'll find out if DeGale is done or not.
Old 23-02-19, 11:43 PM   #8385
labourRed
Shankly

Hope DeGale schools Eubank, but i don't care too much either way. We'll know in the first three how this'll turn.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-19, 12:21 AM   #8386
spud_gun
Paisley

De Gale is running on fumes. Hope he calls it a day after tonight.

Eubank Jr is a total bum. All style but zero substance.
Old 24-02-19, 12:31 AM   #8387
Zapater
Dalglish

Degale is definitely done. Would have won this with ease in his youth. Legs are shot, shoulder fucked, hope we never see him in the ring again.
Old 24-02-19, 12:37 AM   #8388
spud_gun
Paisley

at those score cards

114-112
115-112
117-109
Old 28-02-19, 12:23 PM   #8390
Zapater
Dalglish

DeGale retires. Quite relieved about that one. Wouldn't enjoy seeing him fight on, he's quite shot. Pretty underrated fighter, not sure if history will be kind to him or not, but very good none the less. Maybe missing one or two defining fights, but he did it the hard way, his opposition were generally tough without having the most glamour. Last weekend, and probably since the Jack bout, he's been miles off.

By the same token, I'm not sure if those defining fights would have suited him. A Froch or Kessler in his earlier career could have ended him. On the other hand, I think a rematch with Groves would have been a perfect bout for DeGale.
Old 09-03-19, 11:53 PM   #8391
Zapater
Dalglish

Just one week for Spence - Garcia. The more I think about it, the more I see Spence breaking him down, he's just too big and I feel his heavy hands will be too much for Mikey. Garcia is such a good fighter he may just surprise me though. Spence is a complete nightmare fight for him though, so don't quite see it. For me, at the weight only Terence Crawford is better and that would be a hell of a close fight if they had to meet. Would like to see 2 or 3 fights between the two if things go to plan for the pair. Regardless, it'll be a high class, technical bout regardless of how things play out.

Went to my old gym last weekend for the first time in 3 years. Did a few of rounds with some prospects (4 round pros/reasonable amateurs) to see if I still have it. It's very easy to forget (not know) how hard the sport can be. Was sucking air after a minute into my first round and got absolutely pummeled by right hands had to explain why my face was blue with bruises in the Monday meeting at work. My hands were sore too. The fitness, conditioning, will and endurance required to be a good fighter is astounding. It's easy to watch and forget/not acknowledge what goes into this sport.
Old 12-03-19, 01:26 PM   #8392
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Me and a few mates were talking last weekend about a fight we remembered watching (probably a repeat) where someone who fought in the heavyweight division use to wear a wig

We couldnt remember who the fighters were

Discovered who it was last night it was Pedro Lovell who fought Ken Norton

Old 17-03-19, 06:02 AM   #8393
Zapater
Dalglish

Too simple for Spence Jr. Mikey didn't carry the weight well. He got beaten up in there. Those body shots were vicious. It's the kind of fight which could shave 3 or 4 fights off the end of Garcia's career. I'm surprised he stayed on his feet. Lightweight or possibly light welterweight is where he'll need to stay.

Spence was very smart and executed a game plan. Not many will beat him. Excellent fighter but will have harder nights than today. Pacquiao is another good fight and payday for him if it happens. I thought Manny should have given him some time before entering the ring. Stole his thunder a little. As we've said before, Crawford and Spence is possibly the best fight in boxing at the minute. Hopefully we see it in the next year or two. Undefeated, young, at the peak of their powers. Thurnan and Danny Garcia are also good fights in the interim.

est1892 > General > General Sports