It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 31-03-20, 10:18 PM   #361
rodo
Shankly

add norwich to the list now
Old 01-04-20, 01:15 AM   #362
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I'm telling you there needs to be a levy on rich clubs to help support lower league and grass roots football. They're the equivalent of billionaires sucking all the money from beneath other teams, leaving them to scrape a living and ultimately go out of business.

It's great that Andy Robertson donates to foodbanks but altruism shouldn't be an alternative to taxes and levies.
Old 01-04-20, 02:08 AM   #363
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Collymore is spot on. If I was a player I'd be fucking ashamed if the club I played for did that whilst at the same time I'm picking up Hundreds of thousands each month.

If the club wouldn't do anything I as a player would and I'd be encouraging my team members to do the same.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 08:44 AM   #364
dom9
Ant Pisser

Old 01-04-20, 08:45 AM   #365
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Yep, it's all on the players to do something. They've used power to get where they are and with power comes responsibility

Steve Clarke taking a 10% pay cut made me laugh but it's better than nothing
Old 01-04-20, 08:53 AM   #366
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
I'm telling you there needs to be a levy on rich clubs to help support lower league and grass roots football. They're the equivalent of billionaires sucking all the money from beneath other teams, leaving them to scrape a living and ultimately go out of business.

It's great that Andy Robertson donates to foodbanks but altruism shouldn't be an alternative to taxes and levies.
A levy on Daniel Levy would go a long way tbh.
Old 01-04-20, 09:01 AM   #367
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
A levy on Daniel Levy would go a long way tbh.
He got a £3m bonus for delivering Spurs new stadium.......9 months late and almost 3 times it's original costing
Old 01-04-20, 10:47 AM   #368
dom9
Ant Pisser

Old 01-04-20, 11:01 AM   #369
Alex
Administrator

Seems sensible. Approach it month by month. Make sure we finish a thing before starting a new thing. Adapt as and when.
Old 01-04-20, 11:56 AM   #370
dom9
Ant Pisser

Yep, like the rest of the planet.
Old 01-04-20, 01:41 PM   #371
ChesterDave
Paisley

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

Premier League clubs in 'moral vacuum' and players should sacrifice salary - politicians

No surprise to see Newcastle on that list given Mike Ashley's behaviour at all his other businesses.
Old 01-04-20, 02:02 PM   #372
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

Premier League clubs in 'moral vacuum' and players should sacrifice salary - politicians

No surprise to see Newcastle on that list given Mike Ashley's behaviour at all his other businesses.
Did Barca player's recently take a big wage cut whilst this is ongoing, or did I imagine reading that?
Old 01-04-20, 02:37 PM   #373
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Did Barca player's recently take a big wage cut whilst this is ongoing, or did I imagine reading that?
Yep, a big pay.cut

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092809
Old 01-04-20, 03:00 PM   #374
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The big problem with this is assuming all fans will not congregate if their team wins it.

Puts massive pressure and trust on fans... and then the police.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-20, 05:19 PM   #375
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
It's a shame more clubs/players haven't followed suit. Altho maybe they will do soon.
Old 01-04-20, 07:48 PM   #376
rodo
Shankly

could only really think of here to post this and say what you want about him but this has just had me welling up all proceeds go to charity btw

Old 02-04-20, 12:45 PM   #377
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 02-04-20, 01:09 PM   #378
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

This bit of the thread is promising...

Old 02-04-20, 03:36 PM   #379
BigChief
Paisley

That second point is strange. Why would Uefa care or have legislation to which country voids? They just need the names of the teams entering from each country. It's up to the individual FAs to provide those names.
Old 02-04-20, 04:06 PM   #380
Fivex
The Wisp

Because they might try to resubmit the same teams from the start of this season which would bring European competition into disarray.
Old 03-04-20, 10:57 AM   #381
Maxiedge
Shankly

Ok, Iíll just put this here now but I canít see any other resolution other than all leagues call the current table final and award the current positions. If there are teams that have played a game less, then they will play that game behind closed doors after stringent tests on all players/staff.

I think what this will allow in this uncertain time is to stop constant postponement and to allow the FAs to wait this out and start the seasons when completely appropriate and risk-free. If they rush this and players get corona, it will be an unprecedented disaster imo.

Thatís what I think will happen. I think we will be awarded PL soon.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 11:06 AM   #382
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
Ok, Iíll just put this here now but I canít see any other resolution other than all leagues call the current table final and award the current positions. If there are teams that have played a game less, then they will play that game behind closed doors after stringent tests on all players/staff.

I think what this will allow in this uncertain time is to stop constant postponement and to allow the FAs to wait this out and start the seasons when completely appropriate and risk-free. If they rush this and players get corona, it will be an unprecedented disaster imo.

Thatís what I think will happen. I think we will be awarded PL soon.
That's not the fairest outcome though Maxi. It all balances out over the course of a season is touted for a reason and some of the teams at the bottommmay have an easier run in giving them a better chance of survival than their rivals.

Season needs to be put on ice and the subsequent one altered accordingly.
Old 03-04-20, 11:20 AM   #383
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
That's not the fairest outcome though Maxi. It all balances out over the course of a season is touted for a reason and some of the teams at the bottommmay have an easier run in giving them a better chance of survival than their rivals.

Season needs to be put on ice and the subsequent one altered accordingly.
I see what youíre saying mate and Iím just spilling my gut feeling on here. Thereís a possibility the new season could start on schedule (mid-august) and this would take a massive burden off the admin required to finish this season off and the disruption to the following season. Itís harsh on teams that get relegated but at same time they are where they are after 75% of league being played.
Belgium doing the same could set the wheels in motion.
Old 03-04-20, 11:26 AM   #384
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
I see what you’re saying mate and I’m just spilling my gut feeling on here. There’s a possibility the new season could start on schedule (mid-august) and this would take a massive burden off the admin required to finish this season off and the disruption to the following season. It’s harsh on teams that get relegated but at same time they are where they are after 75% of league being played.
Belgium doing the same could set the wheels in motion.

I'd be over the moon to be handed the league now and I don't think anyone would begrudge us, the vast majority of fans of other clubs would be livid though and I don't take any pleasure out of that
Old 03-04-20, 11:31 AM   #385
ChesterDave
Paisley

There is highly likely to be disruption to next season come winter though. If we could be certain next season would be unaffected then we could run with it. Like there will be no cups next season and reduced international friendlies to get a league programme plenty of opportunity to complete.
Old 03-04-20, 11:31 AM   #386
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:

I'd be over the moon to be handed the league now and I don't think anyone would begrudge us, the vast majority of fans of other clubs would be livid though and I don't take any pleasure out of that
Haha course not
Old 03-04-20, 07:33 PM   #387
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
There is highly likely to be disruption to next season come winter though. If we could be certain next season would be unaffected then we could run with it. Like there will be no cups next season and reduced international friendlies to get a league programme plenty of opportunity to complete.
Next season won't happen, in my opinion.

Olympics, Euros already gone. Wimbledon too. Olympics due to finish on 9th August but impossible due to athlete training and build up events etc for athletes, as well as health of public and travel restrictions. Next season would have kicked off the following weekend I'm guessing. No chance of that considering pre season training and friendlies will be gone.

European Football and domestic football go hand in hand. It's taken years, decades even, for them to sync the way they do. It's a small possibility that they could get the remaining CL games done but one case and it's all off. I don't see the governments allowing matches to take place with the risk of crowd buildup and get togethers, also paramedics availability etc.

There's 92 games in the PL alone just to finish that league. Add the 3 divisions below and non league and see if those hundreds of games are getting played behind closed doors. I just don't see it.

We can try and flatten the curve but this thing needs a vaccine and that's not happening this calendar year. Or herd immunity, and that is killing a LOT of people. This will spike again in the autumn as it gets colder, as flu (I know it's not flu) and other respiratory viruses do. So expect a spike in cases again whilst we wait for a vaccine. Who knows what happens if it mutates or if the immunity doesn't last.

My honest opinion is that we'll either be handed the title and the season gets called as is. Or we restart the season next Feb/March, finish it and lose the 20/21 season. And that is all football, cups, European comps and then ending with the Euros and the Olympics. When football/sport starts again, it'll all start at the same time, with some adjustments for local conditions and calendars etc.
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 07:42 PM   #388
Phoenix07
The Normal One

There won't be many people left to watch the restart of football due to economic and health reasons (in many cases, both) if the things in your post happens, Rafa Justice.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 08:08 PM   #389
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Haha course not
Old 03-04-20, 09:40 PM   #390
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
There won't be many people left to watch the restart of football due to economic and health reasons (in many cases, both) if the things in your post happens, Rafa Justice.
You're misinterpreting the post. Anything you need me to explain?
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 09:46 PM   #391
Pepe79
Dalglish

Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 09:55 PM   #392
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Gerrin!!!
Old 04-04-20, 02:33 PM   #393
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Last edited by Shaggy; 04-04-20 at 02:39 PM.
Shaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 02:52 PM   #394
Tribute
Dalglish

Shit that IMO, shouldnít need government handouts...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 02:53 PM   #395
Liverpool
Paisley

No Premier League club should be using the furlough scheme. Pretty embarrassing that they are dressing it up as good news.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 04:04 PM   #396
Alex
Administrator

Gotta agree. I can’t see how it’s justified with the insane levels of money clubs earn. Especially with the wage cut from the players now.
Old 04-04-20, 04:25 PM   #397
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

It's a piss take and doesn't paint us in a very good light. We're making insane amounts of money. Its wrong any capable business takes advantage of a government handout scheme. Hopefully they'll have a quick change of mind.
Old 04-04-20, 04:39 PM   #398
Liverpool
Paisley

I'd be quite happy for Premier League to say any club who uses the scheme cant sign any players for 2 years as they are clearly in financial trouble for using it.

Players taking a pay cut so there is less tax going into the system and the club also taking money out of that system for furlough is a fucking joke.

Its not free money either, we will all be paying higher taxes after this to enable everyone in need to survive. I'm quite happy to but not for fucking billionaires.
Old 04-04-20, 04:41 PM   #399
Pepe79
Dalglish

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Granted.

Though shouldn’t there be some kind of eligibility criteria to prevent those that aren’t in genuine need from taking advantage of the furlough scheme?

As far as Liverpool go, I’m pretty confident that FSG will respond to the fan’s feelings on this.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 04:45 PM   #400
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post

Though shouldnít there be some kind of eligibility criteria to prevent those that arenít in genuine need from taking advantage of the furlough scheme?
I think the whole point was to not have loads of red tape so support gets to where it needs to be. Some will take the piss but at least everyone should get the help they need on time.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC