It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 04-10-06, 08:23 PM   #1
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

1 Month from today, 04/10/06

Carlos Baldomir Vs Flloyd Mayweather for the WBC Welterweight title.

I can't wait for this fight.

Who are you backing to win?

My prediction is Mayweather on points or a late stoppage but I think Baldomir will cause him a few problems along the way.
kurtangle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 04-10-06, 10:21 PM   #2
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtangle01

My prediction is Mayweather on points or a late stoppage but I think Baldomir will cause him a few problems along the way.

Mayweather in 8. I am expecting a masterclass from Mayweather, a tough fight but not close.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 09:35 PM   #3
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:

Kinhell Kurt! You scared somebody will get in there before yer?
I mean - the fights a month away man !!

Seriously - I expect Mayweather to dazzle him - and win decisively on points.

At the moment though - I'm looking forward to seeing Derry Matthews against Steve Foster Jnr on the Calzaghe bill in Manchester. Foster's original opponent pulled out and unbeaten Matthews has stepped in. It's a bit early to be fighting for a belt for Matthews - but don't write him off; the one opponent the two fighers had in common was stopped in 4 by Matthews and about 9 rounds by Foster.

I was really looking forward to the Maccharinelli v Nelson fight as well but now that's gone by the wayside due to Johnny's retirement. I'd have had Nelson to knock him out - late on.
Old 05-10-06, 09:58 PM   #4
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_lfc
Kinhell Kurt! You scared somebody will get in there before yer?
I mean - the fights a month away man !!

Seriously - I expect Mayweather to dazzle him - and win decisively on points.

At the moment though - I'm looking forward to seeing Derry Matthews against Steve Foster Jnr on the Calzaghe bill in Manchester. Foster's original opponent pulled out and unbeaten Matthews has stepped in. It's a bit early to be fighting for a belt for Matthews - but don't write him off; the one opponent the two fighers had in common was stopped in 4 by Matthews and about 9 rounds by Foster.

I was really looking forward to the Maccharinelli v Nelson fight as well but now that's gone by the wayside due to Johnny's retirement. I'd have had Nelson to knock him out - late on.
I'm just looking forward to the fight, mate!! I can't wait to see how Mayweather copes with a bigger, stronger, man.

The Calzaghe fight should be good as well. Maccarinelli is fighting the lad he fought on the Calzaghe Vs Jeff Lacy bill. It should be a good fight.

Hopefully Calzaghe and Kessler will fight after this for all 4 Super-Middleweight titles.
Old 06-10-06, 02:07 PM   #5
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:

Im thinking Mayweather will blow him away, Baldomir is very unorthadox though, so i could be wrong. Baldomir is a tough customer, but I thought Gatti was too.

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

* After Tommy Lawrence had let in a fluke goal between his legs
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 12:29 AM   #6
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

I thinkh mayweather will be really prepared for this, he'll come out really strong, 6th round stopppage for me.
Old 29-10-06, 01:03 PM   #7
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

1 week to go.

Also sky are showing 'Winky' V's Quartey and Taylor V's ouma
Old 29-10-06, 04:30 PM   #8
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
1 week to go.

Also sky are showing 'Winky' V's Quartey and Taylor V's ouma
Should be entertaining anough, I wonder what round Baldomir will get stopped in though, or even will he get stopped, should be an interesting clash of styles, if Baldomir is easy to hit for Mayweather, its going to be a short fight.

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

Old 02-11-06, 02:02 PM   #9
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:

Not long now Kurt !!!
Old 02-11-06, 03:49 PM   #10
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Not long now Kurt !!!
have a feeling this one going to be a bit of an anti climax.
Cant see Baldomir being anything other than awkward, would love to see him putting real pressure on Mayweather, but cant see it happening, have be wrong before though, so you never know.

Old 02-11-06, 05:30 PM   #11
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

I think it will be quite entertaining, but am still sticking with Mayweather to win early.
Old 02-11-06, 06:23 PM   #12
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:

Should be a cracking fight.

Sky's coverage starts at 2AM on Sunday morning however they are showing repeats at 8am and i think also 11am.

spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-06, 07:05 PM   #13
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
Not long now Kurt !!!
Can't wait, buddy!

This has really got me excited. If anyone could trouble Mayweather then I thin it could be this guy because he's naturally bigger and has some power.
Old 02-11-06, 07:28 PM   #14
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

I've just read that Mayweather is currently at 145lbs and struggling to get himself up to 147 where as baldomir is round about 152lbs and will make 147 weight limit easily. If Mayweathetr goes on to the ring as light as that and baldomir walks in at around 157 then Floyd could be in for a long night.
Old 02-11-06, 08:42 PM   #15
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
I've just read that Mayweather is currently at 145lbs and struggling to get himself up to 147 where as baldomir is round about 152lbs and will make 147 weight limit easily. If Mayweathetr goes on to the ring as light as that and baldomir walks in at around 157 then Floyd could be in for a long night.
Do you ever remember Tony Sibson (from Leicester) putting weights in his shorts before he got on the scales so that he'd make the weight and people wouldn't question him coming into the fight too light? Cant remember who it was against - but I think he lost the fight anyway.
Old 04-11-06, 12:38 PM   #16
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

some weigh in photo's.

http://www.ufcfightnews.com/prettyrisky-weights.htm
Old 04-11-06, 01:46 PM   #17
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Hell Yeah, not long to go now.
Old 05-11-06, 04:24 AM   #18
refugee
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious
Hell Yeah, not long to go now.
Anyone know what time the fight starts at, Ive uni courswork to do and dont know whether to watch the fight or tape it
refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-06, 04:32 AM   #19
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugee
Anyone know what time the fight starts at, Ive uni courswork to do and dont know whether to watch the fight or tape it
Wouldnt be supprised if the fight doesnt start for anohter hour mate.

Old 05-11-06, 04:34 AM   #20
refugee
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza76
Wouldnt be supprised if the fight doesnt start for anohter hour mate.
Thanks, I'll maybe tape it and watch it, so if I fall asleep ill watch it later

Good night
refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 05-11-06, 04:49 AM   #21
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugee
Thanks, I'll maybe tape it and watch it, so if I fall asleep ill watch it later

Good night
ITs repeated tomrow moring aswell mate, just so you know.

Old 05-11-06, 05:14 AM   #22
bazza76
Paisley

right lads, im into me bed to watch the fight.
Enjoy.

Old 05-11-06, 05:20 AM   #23
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Looking forward to this. I honestly don't have a clue who will win. If Floyd can deal with this guys size then I think he'll take it on points but I think Baldomir has all the tools to hurt Mayweather.

It's going to be interesting.
Old 05-11-06, 05:27 AM   #24
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

What's the deal with the gladiator ring entrance?!
Old 05-11-06, 06:26 AM   #25
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Mayweather gave Baldomir a masterclass there. He deserved to win. I hope that him and Hatton fight in the near future. Hatton has more stamina than Baldomir and I could see that fight beng one for the ages.
Old 05-11-06, 11:34 AM   #26
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Mayweather showed his class again, he has to be the best pound for pound in the world now.

He is calling for a fight with De La Hoya now.

I could not see Hatton beating Mayweather. Ricky is a very good fighter, and is near the top of the pile at his weight, but Mayweather and one or two others are that bit ahead of Hatton imo. I think Hatton vs Mayweather would result in a brave fight by Hatton, but one that would have the fight stopped for either cuts to Hatton, or Hatton worn down.

I would regard Baldomir as having a better punch resilience than Hatton, so although I would agree that Hatton has more stamina, I think he would expend more energy and have more sapped than Baldomir had last night.
Old 05-11-06, 01:26 PM   #27
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious
He is calling for a fight with De La Hoya now.
Did he realyl call for De La Hoya? had gone asleep at that stage.
Mayweather Senior trains both of them as far as I know, and its a fight Mayweather senior would not like to see going ahead as he is great friends with De La Hoya obviously. Would be very interesting.

Old 05-11-06, 01:32 PM   #28
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza76
Did he realyl call for De La Hoya? had gone asleep at that stage.
Mayweather Senior trains both of them as far as I know, and its a fight Mayweather senior would not like to see going ahead as he is great friends with De La Hoya obviously. Would be very interesting.

MAYWEATHER TOO FAST FOR BALDOMIR
Sunday 5th November 2006

Floyd Mayweather has claimed the WBC welterweight title after outclassing defending champion Carlos Baldomir in Las Vegas.
Mayweather scored a unanimous verdict against his Argentinian opponent, with two judges giving him victory in all 12 rounds and the third scoring the fight 10:2 in his favour.

The American's victory was down to both his speed and anticipation, the looping punches of the larger Baldomir being either slipped by Mayweather, or blocked using his arms and gloves.

Those being tactics used when Baldomir could actually find his target: despite stalking his opponent for much of the contest, Mayweather frequently avoided trouble by stepping out of range.

"I didn't fight my fight," Baldomir later admitted. "He was too fast. I couldn't catch him, and when I did, I wasn't strong enough."

With Baldomir tiring and Mayweather seemingly content to bide his time during the later rounds, the crowd resorted to booing at the lack of action in the ring.

The new champion later explained his caution by way of injury, Mayweather saying: "I thought I could knock him out down the stretch, but I hurt my hand. He's very resilient, very strong."

However, Baldomir's strength and size advantage ultimately proved less than a match for the skill of Mayweather - the latter touted as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

The fight had offered Mayweather more than an element of risk, the challenger - who made his pro debut as a super featherweight 10 years ago - fighting at welterweight for only the third time in his career.

Despite his defeat, Baldomir was proud of his recent achievements - the previously unheralded 35-year-old enjoying a whirlwind 12 months that have seen him defeat Zab Judah for the title, before defending it against Arturo Gatti.

"It's been a great year," Baldomir said. "I beat Judah, I beat Gatti, and I went up against the pound-for-pound king.

"I've done a lot, achieved a lot."

But for Mayweather the achievements look set to continue, the 29-year-old hoping his next contest will place him in the ring against Oscar De La Hoya.

"I believe (De La Hoya) will want to fight me after tonight," Mayweather said. "If he wants to make the fight, he knows where to find me."
Old 05-11-06, 02:15 PM   #29
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Glorious Mayweather set to quit

Glorious Mayweather set to quit

Floyd Mayweather outclassed Carlos Baldomir to win the WBC welterweight title in Las Vegas before announcing he plans to retire after one more fight.

Two of the three judges gave the 29-year-old Mayweather all 12 rounds, and the third awarded him 10.

"One more fight, then that's it for me," said an emotional Mayweather. "Every time I fight, it's blood, sweat, and tears because I love the sport.

The Michigan native could meet the legendary Oscar de la Hoya next year.

"I believe De la Hoya will want to fight me after tonight," said Mayweather, who cited wear and tear on his body and the desire to leave on top as the main reasons for his decision.

"If he wants to make the fight, he knows where to find me."

Mayweather became a four-weight champion when he beat Zab Judah for the IBF version in April but gave it up in order to meet Baldomir.

He remains unbeaten after 37 professional contests, including 17 world title fights.

Baldomir, 35, was never floored by his opponent, who is widely accepted as being the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

But his face was bloodied from the first round on and he took punch after punch from his much faster and more skilled opponent.

The Argentine admitted he was unable to reproduce the form that had also seen him beat Zab Judah for the title and then Arturo Gatti in his one defence in July.

"He [Mayweather] was just too fast and I couldn't catch him, and when I did catch him I felt sluggish," said Baldomir.

The defeat could mean the end of Baldomir's career and he is set to make a decision on his future soon.

est1892 > General > General Sports