It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 28-10-06, 07:41 PM   #1
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

RIP Trevor Berbick

It's just been released that he's been found dead in Jamaica - aged 52. No details announced as yet......

It's not often that a boxer is remembered for a defeat as opposed to a win but that's the case here. Trevor Berbick was dethroned in 4(?) rounds by a yound up and coming Mike Tyson - to become the youngest ever world heavyweight champion. The images of Berbick trying valliantly to stand upright on 'jelly' legs after being knocked down by Tyson will remain with me forever........

I hope it was natural causes and not another case of a fallen star hitting on hard times and succumbing to drugs............

RIP Trevor Berbick.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 28-10-06, 09:10 PM   #2
animal magic
Dalglish

Trevor Berbick, the last boxer to fight Muhammad Ali, was killed in Jamaica on Saturday by an assailant wielding a hatchet or machete, police said.
He suffered a serious head wound and was found near a church in Norwich, his hometown, 90 miles east of Kingston.

Aged either 51 or 52 - his birthdate is disputed - he was pronounced dead in hospital early on Saturday.
Old 28-10-06, 11:36 PM   #3
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Such a terrible shame. He was the last man to fight the great Ali.

R.I.P.
kurtangle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-06, 12:31 AM   #4
joyno
Fagan

very sad, i remember the tyson fight and i think it was reg gutteridge that comentated after tyson caught him saying he was like a toddler in a playpen as he tried to recover from the great mans power, at least he tried to fight the man unlike spinks biggs bonecrusher and many more who bottled it and took the money, R.I.P MR BERBICK.
joyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-06, 03:12 AM   #5
rezaeos
Houllier

RIP Trevor. I remember the night in 1986. Berbick will be a part of boxing history even in defeat. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
rezaeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-06, 10:00 PM   #6
IrishPaul
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal magic
Trevor Berbick, the last boxer to fight Muhammad Ali, was killed in Jamaica on Saturday by an assailant wielding a hatchet or machete, police said.
He suffered a serious head wound and was found near a church in Norwich, his hometown, 90 miles east of Kingston.

Aged either 51 or 52 - his birthdate is disputed - he was pronounced dead in hospital early on Saturday.
Very sad

RIP Trevor Berbick

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family

YNWA

"The Liverpool offer arrived and I told the club to listen to that offer as that is the team I wanted to play for" - El Nino 03/07/07

JFT96
IrishPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-06, 12:39 AM   #7
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal magic

what a sad way to go.
RIP Trevor Berbick

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

* After Tommy Lawrence had let in a fluke goal between his legs
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-06, 10:35 AM   #8
Maestro
A.K.A Groucho

Sad news.

R.I.P.

Old 30-10-06, 12:38 PM   #9
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezaeos
RIP Trevor. I remember the night in 1986. Berbick will be a part of boxing history even in defeat. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Took the words out of my mouth. Without exaggeration, I can honestly saw I donít think Iíve ever been in so much awe (in sport) as I was when Tyson destroyed Berbick. I was a kid, utterly blown away by Tysonís fearsome power. For that reason I have always remembered big Trevor and his wobbly legs.

A terrible, terrible way to go. RIP Trevor.
Old 05-11-06, 06:51 PM   #10
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
A nephew of former heavyweight boxing champion Trevor Berbick has been charged with his murder, police in Jamaica have said.

Harold Berbick, 20, and another man, aged 18, could now appear in court in Jamaica on Friday.

Berbick, the last man to fight Muhammad Ali and briefly holder of the world heavyweight title in 1986, was found with gaping head wounds on Saturday.

Police arrested the suspects on Sunday in the Jamaican capital, Kingston.

The former boxer was likely to have been attacked from behind, possibly with a 2-inch thick metal pipe that police said was found at the scene.

He was found in a church in his native Norwich, north-east of Kingston.

He had last been seen leaving a local night spot in the early hours of Saturday.

After making arrests on Sunday police said they did not think the motive was robbery, as Berbick was found with money and there was no evidence of any attempt to enter his home, which was near the scene of the attack.

Victory and defeat

Berbick was believed to be 51 or 52, although his exact age was never known.

He enjoyed a colourful career inside and outside of the ring, boxing from 1976 to 2000.

He fought for the heavyweight crown in 1980, losing to Larry Holmes, and then beat Muhammad Ali in 1981 in what proved to be the former champion's final fight.

He eventually won the WBC version of the heavyweight title in 1986, only to lose the title in his first defence against a young Mike Tyson.

Berbick eventually settled in Jamaica after being deported from the US in 2002.

The Associated Press reported that he was engaged in an ongoing feud with his sister-in-law, mother of the 20-year-old charged with his eventual murder.

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

* After Tommy Lawrence had let in a fluke goal between his legs
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports