It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 25-02-21, 03:16 PM   #2561
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Get him fit, give him a few games to prove his fitness and then get shut asap.
Speak of the devil...
Old 25-02-21, 03:18 PM   #2562
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Has Keita ever manged two 90 mins games in a row ?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 03:53 PM   #2563
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
A player that gives you 7/10 every week will cost that sort of money nowadays. A 7/10 week in week out is a very good player.

Graelish at Villa would be a 7/10 player for me albeit in a very different role and I am sure there would be plenty on here that would like to have him in our team.

And when I say 7/10 I don't mean that player never puts in a beter performance, I just mean that when he is on the pitch you usually get a 7/10 performance.

Great teams usually have the majority of the team being those 7/10 players with maybe a handful of other players on the team that are a bit better again and who are the "star" names.

We have just been a bit spoiled the past few years as we seem to have had as many higher level performers as we have had 7/10s.

Right now though I would kill for a team that was full of 7/10 performances each game
What!! ah come off it Jaco, I'm surprised as your responses are usually so measured

He has been outstanding this season, one of the players of the season and a talisman for Villa. Let's not compare Grealish's performances with Naby as it's a insult to poor oul Jack. You say 7 out of 10 for Naby, I think that's a stretch but all about opinions

Last edited by danperkins; 25-02-21 at 03:55 PM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 04:01 PM   #2564
fabinho
Benitez

Talking of bad signings, what about the most disappointing? 2 standouts for me, litmanen and Morientes, Kewell was close. So much expectation, delivered so little.
Old 25-02-21, 04:08 PM   #2565
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

They were both past their peak when they came to us.
Old 25-02-21, 04:10 PM   #2566
danperkins

Yeah true enough
Old 25-02-21, 04:23 PM   #2567
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
What!! ah come off it Jaco, I'm surprised as your responses are usually so measured

He has been outstanding this season, one of the players of the season and a talisman for Villa. Let's not compare Grealish's performances with Naby as it's a insult to poor oul Jack. You say 7 out of 10 for Naby, I think that's a stretch but all about opinions

No I said Grealish is a 7/10 player as in that is pretty much the minimum you get out of him most games and that I did not mean that as in he would not put in even better performances at times. Thought that was clear enough from the paragraph right under what you highlighted.

Grealish is certainly not a higher tier player for me though, not yet anyway if at all, as for me you need to be a VVD level player to be that as in the usual for that level player is like a regular player playing out of their skin.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 04:41 PM   #2568
danperkins

Quote:
No I said Grealish is a 7/10 player as in that is pretty much the minimum you get out of him most games and that I did not mean that as in he would not put in even better performances at times. Thought that was clear enough from the paragraph right under what you highlighted.

Grealish is certainly not a higher tier player for me though, not yet anyway if at all, as for me you need to be a VVD level player to be that as in the usual for that level player is like a regular player playing out of their skin.
I said earlier "Too many questions imo and we didn't pay that amount of money for 6 or 7 out of 10 players in my opinion." You replied "A player that gives you 7/10 every week will cost that sort of money nowadays". Referring to Keita obviously.

So you are saying Keita is a minimum 7 out of 10 performer? I thought you were generous giving him 7 in general. Grealish is not at a top tier club yet but he has put in top tier performances this season, many stand out performances. So much so that he in the summer we are going to see huge bids coming in for him from huge clubs & he will eventually get his chance to see can he do it at the highest level. Has Keita ever had a man of the match performance since playing for Liverpool or even one where he has stood out? I don't remember any. Obviously two totally different players but you don't have to have flair or score goals to stand out (Fernandinho, Kante etc). To me Keita has been mildly functional at best when he has played.
Old 25-02-21, 04:42 PM   #2569
rudedog
Pig hater

Can't believe we've had four pages discussing the worst LFC signings and nobody has mentioned Ballotelli

It's like his time at the club has been collectively wiped from people's memories like some kind of PTSD coping mechanism
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 04:45 PM   #2570
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
Can't believe we've had four pages discussing the worst LFC signings and nobody has mentioned Ballotelli

It's like his time at the club has been collectively wiped from people's memories like some kind of PTSD coping mechanism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
True, though I’d say Naby is a very good signing blighted by bad luck.

Others like Carroll, Downing, Balotelli, Djibril Cisse, El Hadj Diouf were all big money or even marquee signings of the time. Some of them were hampered by injury too, but they were all far poorer than Naby in terms of quality and fit and also in terms of value for money too.

I know you don’t agree, but at least Naby does actually show his value when he’s playing, unlike that lot and many others.
I wish
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 04:52 PM   #2571
danperkins

Quote:

another one I totally forgot. Yeah an absolute disaster.
Old 25-02-21, 05:06 PM   #2572
ntto
Dalglish

and for different reasons you could say Robbie Keane was a massive flop
ntto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 05:17 PM   #2573
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
TBF neither did Bodge

Balotelli also sticks out as a terrible signing for me. We knew he was a twat and inconsistent on the field at best & still chucked best part of £20m at him. Even worse than Downing who was a massively overpriced mehhhhhhh.
:fuckingshake:
Old 25-02-21, 05:28 PM   #2574
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:

God yeah! £16m to a FREE in only 2 seasons.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 05:32 PM   #2575
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntto View Post
To be fair there's a big difference between a player being injured and unavailable and a manager trying to change a goal poacher into something else. Why did Rafa buy him if he wanted to change the way he played? Gerrard & Carra have commented on this and Keane has said it himself. 5 goals in 19 appearances and then sold by Rafa.
Old 25-02-21, 06:04 PM   #2576
frank the tank
Shankly

yeah that did feel like it was rafa making a point...... when we signed Keane i thought that he would be good with Torres..
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 06:33 PM   #2577
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntto View Post

Yeah just look where he was from.
Old 25-02-21, 06:34 PM   #2578
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
yeah that did feel like it was rafa making a point...... when we signed Keane i thought that he would be good with Torres..

It was a point well made though. How many Tallaght lads have you seen play for us since? Well in Rafa.
Old 25-02-21, 06:46 PM   #2579
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I think Keane could have been a great signing but Rafa was having none of it. Keane didn't want to change his game, it's the way he had been playing his whole career and why we bought. Ancient history now but pretty obvious he wasn't given a fair crack.

It's terrible too as it was his dream to play for LFC... oh and Wolves and Coventry and Leeds and and Inter and Spurs and Celtic and Villa and LA Galaxy and ATK
Old 25-02-21, 07:30 PM   #2580
Fivex
The Wisp

We can probably trace back these atrocities to the time we failed to sign Anelka permanently when that was the most obvious (and good value to boot) signing of recent times.
Old 25-02-21, 07:40 PM   #2581
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

Wow! El Hadji Diouf. He has to be up there as one of the worst.
Peter_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 07:43 PM   #2582
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:

Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 08:35 PM   #2583
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
I can't wait to see the back of him. His percentage stats might be OK. But the amount of times he goes hiding does my head in. Too shy, too timid. He'll never make it in this league.
Itís not just percentage stats though, itís volume too. And theyíre far better than OK.

Thereís no way a player could consistently top the amount of metrics he does if they were hiding.
Old 25-02-21, 08:36 PM   #2584
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Itís not just percentage stats though, itís volume too. And theyíre far better than OK.

Thereís no way a player could consistently top the amount of metrics he does if they were hiding.
Old 25-02-21, 08:54 PM   #2585
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
Markovich fucking hell. Kennethís fave- never sure what he saw in him.

Called it after the 30mins that he got in his first game. He looked shit scared to be on the pitch.
Old 26-02-21, 12:10 AM   #2586
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:

Educate me then? How has a player, who over three seasons, has barely averaged 40 passes a game is a volume player.

There's a talented player in there somewhere. He just needs to go to lesser league to prove it.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 08:04 AM   #2587
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Let's face it, his frailty is just fucking annoying and we need to capitalise on any value there is left in him.

I'll be fucking fuming if he goes on a free and ends up having an injury free period somewhere else. Far more than your Andy Carroll's who don't have the ability and at least like a bit of a party. When Keita stayed in Germany another season for his development and didn't bother learning English it should've told us all we needed to know about the lad's professionalism.

Just get rid
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 10:07 AM   #2588
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
Best Liverpool moment ? Only one winner

Sent off for that
Old 26-02-21, 10:28 AM   #2589
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Sent off for that

Didn't he have great effort that hit the post? so like Stewart Downing if that had gone in his LFC career might have been completely different
Old 26-02-21, 10:57 AM   #2590
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Educate me then? How has a player, who over three seasons, has barely averaged 40 passes a game is a volume player.

There's a talented player in there somewhere. He just needs to go to lesser league to prove it.
Firstly, thatís literally one stat. Secondly, those numbers are per appearance and not actual playing time

Based on his minutes, he averaged 77 passes per game last season and 64 this season (new role accounts for why heís making fewer now).

But if your still not convinced by how involved he is or volume, have a look at his dribbles, duels won, successful pressures leading to possession and chances, tackles, interceptions, etc
Old 26-02-21, 01:58 PM   #2591
danperkins

I remember years ago Karl Henry was considered the best midfielder in the league on his statistics, the problem with that being.... people actually had eyeballs.
Old 26-02-21, 02:03 PM   #2592
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
I remember years ago Karl Henry was considered the best midfielder in the league on his statistics, the problem with that being.... people actually had eyeballs.

Pretty sure nobody at all in the thread is basing their opinion on just statistics though and most are saying that there are statistics that back up what they can see with their own eyes.
Old 26-02-21, 02:16 PM   #2593
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Yeah, but when the eyeballs and the stats actually show the same picture...
Old 26-02-21, 03:47 PM   #2594
danperkins

Deleted
Old 26-02-21, 03:49 PM   #2595
danperkins

Quote:
Pretty sure nobody at all in the thread is basing their opinion on just statistics though and most are saying that there are statistics that back up what they can see with their own eyes.
You brought the statistics into it initially & on this thread there are pretty contrasting views on his stats vs eyeballs, so you may think he's been great for LFC but it's quite clear that alot of people don't. The way you and Pepe are going on you'd swear I was the only critical voice, that is clearly not the case.

I'm pretty sure most on here would agree that he has been very underwhelming considering the price tag which cannot be ignored. If he was a £5 to 10m signing there would be less expectation and more leeway but the fact is we paid nearly £50m quid for him and there is a weight with that fee, it's just the way it is. With marquee singings, come heightened expectations & an expectation for the player to hit the ground running too. You don't pay 50, 60 70 m quid for a guy and be happy for him to take a few seasons to bed in. That is my gripe and the reason for bumping this thread. I wouldn't really be too bothered if we bought him for a song and if worked great, if it didn't not big deal but that was not the case with the Keita transfer, we expected him to be a game changer.

I'll be honest, I do not know a single LFC supporter outside of this forum that thinks Keita has been good for us. Anyways we may have different opinions and that's absolutely fine by me but what we do have in common is that we both want him to do well in a LFC shirt
Old 26-02-21, 04:00 PM   #2596
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
You brought the statistics into it initially & on this thread there are pretty contrasting views on his stats vs eyeballs, so you may think he's been great for LFC but it's quite clear that alot of people don't. The way you and Pepe are going on you'd swear I was the only critical voice, that is clearly not the case.

I'm pretty sure most on here would agree that he has been very underwhelming considering the price tag which cannot be ignored. If he was a £5 to 10m signing there would be less expectation and more leeway but the fact is we paid nearly £50m quid for him and there is a weight with that fee, it's just the way it is. With marquee singings, come heightened expectations & an expectation for the player to hit the ground running too. You don't pay 50, 60 70 m quid for a guy and be happy for him to take a few seasons to bed in. That is my gripe and the reason for bumping this thread. I wouldn't really be too bothered if we bought him for a song and if worked great, if it didn't not big deal but that was not the case with the Keita transfer, we expected him to be a game changer.

I'll be honest, I do not know a single LFC supporter outside of this forum that thinks Keita has been good for us. Anyways we may have different opinions and that's absolutely fine by me but what we do have in common is that we both want him to do well in a LFC shirt
Eh? I’m not going on at you at all!

You made a response to me replying to someone else about stats.
And my initial replies to you were after you made a suggestion and appeared to invite opinions from the thread.

I know full well you’re not the only one on here or off here that doesn’t rate Keita and you’re not the only one I’ve debated it with.
Old 26-02-21, 04:05 PM   #2597
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Thought it was just debate about a player and not a case of "going on" at you for being critical of the player. But point taken for future posts.
Old 26-02-21, 04:18 PM   #2598
danperkins

Jesus lads don't be so sensitive, I didn't mean anything by it

EDIT: Merely saying it's clearly not only me who thinks this. Meant no offence by saying "going on"

Last edited by danperkins; 26-02-21 at 04:27 PM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 04:31 PM   #2599
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Jesus lads don't be so sensitive, I didn't mean anything by it

EDIT: Merely saying it's clearly not only me who thinks this. Meant no offence by saying "going on"
No offence taken. You seemed to be getting defensive so I just explained that I wasnít getting at you and youíre not even the only person on this page of the thread who shares your opinion
Old 26-02-21, 04:38 PM   #2600
danperkins

Quote:
No offence taken. You seemed to be getting defensive so I just explained that I wasn’t getting at you and you’re not even the only person on this page of the thread who shares your opinion
Not getting defensive at all mate, it's great to have a good debate on here without things turning. I sometimes type as I talk & if it was in person it would sound completely different. I meant absolutely no offence by it nor do I take offence to anything posted on here. Apologies to you and Jaco if it came across that way

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC