It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 13-09-20, 09:47 PM   #4441
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
The last Lions tour in SA was brilliant, I really wanted to goto some games this time - I was unfortunately in Australia the last time. There's a ballot system for 'fairness sake', so nothing was guaranteed but it seems likely that I'm going to spend next year abroad which really pisses me off. Don't think you can beat an Ellis Park test and I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance to see an SA - Lions game, especially when there is talk about scrapping the tours. I'd have even have gone to Loftus or Cape Town to see it. It's a shame Newlands Rugby Park is done because the vibe and atmosphere in CT is fantastic and that was a setting to match.
I spent a fair bit of time in ZA with work in the past - been to The Loftus, Ellis Park and Kings Park.....

The Loftus every time but Iíll caveat that by saying I only saw provincial rugby so maybe a test is different
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-20, 10:17 PM   #4442
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I spent a fair bit of time in ZA with work in the past - been to The Loftus, Ellis Park and Kings Park.....

The Loftus every time but Iíll caveat that by saying I only saw provincial rugby so maybe a test is different
It's slightly different for test matches. Ellis Park is too big for the Lions unfortunately, especially with SR attendances dwindling the last 5 years or so. It's also too hot in the sun, so people are hidden in the shade until the sun goes down. Was at the game where the Lions smashed he Crusaders in the SR quarter 3 or 4 years ago, and it was only about a third to half full... IIRC the semi was also there and didn't have a much better turn out. That team was mercurial, see Johan Ackermann did quite well at Gloucester too, surely a show in to be the next Boks coach.

Loftus when the Bulls were good was great, although as mentioned previously; their fans and not being able to take drinks to your seat detracts. Remember once downing 3 500ml cans outside to make kick off, then trying not to piss my pants after a very broken seal only 20 min into the game! They've been poor the last few years, although Jake White is doing some interesting business there, so perhaps we'll see a strong Bulls team again soon.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-20, 10:21 PM   #4443
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

There is definitely a separate rule book for Owen. Im intrigued to see what his ban is for that tackle as it was a shocker.

Surely they need to get it sorted with a huge game for Saracens this weekend?

He got the mandatory 10 games . . . halved for contrition etc and an otherwise good disciplinary record - amazing thought that may sound

Funnily enough my #1 son played against the lad who he took out in a schools or representative game last year. I forget which, but I'm pretty sure they gave him worse treatment than Owen did
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-20, 10:23 PM   #4444
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
The last Lions tour in SA was brilliant, I really wanted to goto some games this time - I was unfortunately in Australia the last time. There's a ballot system for 'fairness sake', so nothing was guaranteed but it seems likely that I'm going to spend next year abroad which really pisses me off. Don't think you can beat an Ellis Park test and I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance to see an SA - Lions game, especially when there is talk about scrapping the tours. I'd have even have gone to Loftus or Cape Town to see it. It's a shame Newlands Rugby Park is done because the vibe and atmosphere in CT is fantastic and that was a setting to match.
A mate has been trying to persuade me to go but unfortunately I have 100 other things to spend that kind of money on.
Old 13-09-20, 10:37 PM   #4445
Zapater
Dalglish

Thinking about that last tour reminded me about Heinrich BrŁssow. What a fetcher! Possibly the most unBok player ever and Heynecke Meyer predictably ended his career. But fuck me, what a player! Think him and Jacques Fourie really made the difference in in some key moments.
Old 14-09-20, 06:13 AM   #4446
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
It's slightly different for test matches. Ellis Park is too big for the Lions unfortunately, especially with SR attendances dwindling the last 5 years or so. It's also too hot in the sun, so people are hidden in the shade until the sun goes down. Was at the game where the Lions smashed he Crusaders in the SR quarter 3 or 4 years ago, and it was only about a third to half full... IIRC the semi was also there and didn't have a much better turn out. That team was mercurial, see Johan Ackermann did quite well at Gloucester too, surely a show in to be the next Boks coach.

Super Rugby Quarter-final #3: Lions v Crusaders - YouTube

Loftus when the Bulls were good was great, although as mentioned previously; their fans and not being able to take drinks to your seat detracts. Remember once downing 3 500ml cans outside to make kick off, then trying not to piss my pants after a very broken seal only 20 min into the game! They've been poor the last few years, although Jake White is doing some interesting business there, so perhaps we'll see a strong Bulls team again soon.
Saw them thump the Brumbies years ago - Matfield, Botha, Steyn, Spies and co......had a fair few pre game in one of the sports bars on the ground and the broken seal is very much a thing

I think they probably have the most tribal stereotypical Boer fans though
Old 14-09-20, 10:15 AM   #4447
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Saw them thump the Brumbies years ago - Matfield, Botha, Steyn, Spies and co......had a fair few pre game in one of the sports bars on the ground and the broken seal is very much a thing

I think they probably have the most tribal stereotypical Boer fans though
That team could have been a Bok team. Habana, du Preez, Olivier, Kirchner, Basson, Hougaard, Rossouw, Steenkamp, Stegmann, Ndungane. A bit annoying that their timing wasn't staggered because they beat really good Sharks and Stormers teams in 2 finals reducing potential South African winners. Indeed, some of their fans are the most neanderthalic, brain dead and cringeworthy people who trawl the surface of earth. Weird mix of geriatrics, families and 20 year olds looking for fights. Just thinking about it has put that awful, generic, upbeat Afrikaans music that they play in my head.

Yes, those pubs around the stadium are great, so cheap! Brandy special everywhere and frown when I order a Jameson. I think the one which I've spent quite a lot of time in is called Trademarks or something like that - young, hot girls - student types. They are easily impressed by well spoken English speakers, which is not that hard to comprehend. Although, some of them expect you to speak Afrikaans, which is far from ideal for me. There's also Hatfield around the corner which is debaucherous after games, has better ratios of girls and not just the rugby types but that's apparently died down a bit in recent years. Regardless, I'm probably too old for that now.
Old 14-09-20, 12:59 PM   #4448
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Its a blessing and a curse to be able to get pissed before a Rugby International.

Our seats were 'row end'. Ideal for needing to get away for a piss myself. However. Absolutely shite when sat next to a group of girls who are there for the day out, rather than the sport.

They'd show up 5 mins after kick off, so that would be getting up once. Then they'd be at the bogs within ten. Not in synch. Then another bar visit. It was annoying as fuck having to get up and down that much.

Safe to say they were not well loved in our section

Feels like talking about another universe when thinking about being in a 7-k crowd.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-20, 01:17 PM   #4449
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Its a blessing and a curse to be able to get pissed before a Rugby International.

Our seats were 'row end'. Ideal for needing to get away for a piss myself. However. Absolutely shite when sat next to a group of girls who are there for the day out, rather than the sport.

They'd show up 5 mins after kick off, so that would be getting up once. Then they'd be at the bogs within ten. Not in synch. Then another bar visit. It was annoying as fuck having to get up and down that much.

Safe to say they were not well loved in our section

Feels like talking about another universe when thinking about being in a 7-k crowd.
I’m normally don’t drink before games due to the need to piss so much - typically 1 or 2 and then that’s it. Before the European Cup final in 2006 in Cardiff I was BLADDERED - 8 pints, surprised I got let into the game tbh. I had the most fantastic tickets - 3 rows behind the bench and close to the half way line. I must have made 5 leaks during the game and everyone I did Peter Clohessy was pissing beside me

Munster and Ireland legend and arguably the hardest fucker to play the game
Old 14-09-20, 02:02 PM   #4450
Zapater
Dalglish

I try not to get too wankered so I can concentrate on the game better, but yes, the pissing does come into the equation. Depending on who you're with it's sometimes mandatory.

Quote:

Not trying to be funny, but isn't this roughly 90% of women at sports in general? Perhaps 50%+ of everyone at a cricket game, it winds me up in all honesty. People standing up in front of me when the bowler is in delivery stride is possibly the most frustrating thing in the world. Where has the etiquette gone?!

The girls you described are also unfortunately often the type who give you grief for spilling a bit of beer on them when celebrating a try. Wtf do they expect?!

Think I've said it before, but Sydney Football Stadium and Olympic Park are night and day when it comes to rugby and league. Super Rugby matches have attractive girls dressed up who are basically having their pre drinks before a night out while rugby league games have significantly rougher and less attractive girls who are actually there to watch the game. Mosquitos in and around Olympic Park are dire
Old 14-09-20, 05:11 PM   #4451
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Iím normally donít drink before games due to the need to piss so much - typically 1 or 2 and then thatís it. Before the European Cup final in 2006 in Cardiff I was BLADDERED - 8 pints, surprised I got let into the game tbh. I had the most fantastic tickets - 3 rows behind the bench and close to the half way line. I must have made 5 leaks during the game and everyone I did Peter Clohessy was pissing beside me

Munster and Ireland legend and arguably the hardest fucker to play the game
I was like that before the Scotland France footy match in Paris (McFadden goal). Drinking all day, drinking during massive 30,000 throng march to the stadium (French put tickets on general sale).

I lost all the guys I was with. I entered the stadium though the wrong gate. I had to have a steward take me to my seat.

I have very little recollection of the game, other than singing throughout, the goal.

The French loved us (the entire Tartan Army) though, and we got applauded out of the stadium
Old 19-09-20, 03:40 PM   #4452
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Leinster struggling against Saracens so far.
Old 19-09-20, 04:28 PM   #4453
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Leinster struggling against Saracens so far.
They havenít played a side as physical as this for a long time and they havenít stepped up to the battle. Sarries demolishing then in the scrum, 5 penalties coughed up - Furlong a massive loss but Sarries missing even more.

Great game though
Old 19-09-20, 04:34 PM   #4454
Irishnev
Shankly

Game on now Buzzo
Old 19-09-20, 04:35 PM   #4455
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yep. Set for a barnstorming last 15.

Seems like the wind has been a massive factor also.
Old 19-09-20, 04:45 PM   #4456
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Yep. Set for a barnstorming last 15.

Seems like the wind has been a massive factor also.
The wind in The Aviva (Lansdowne Rd) is always a factor - many a bitter cold day stood on the old terraces back in the day
Old 19-09-20, 04:52 PM   #4457
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Saracens had three Scots starting for them today and one on the bench..!

Looks like they are going to see this out. Suspect that two massive back to back games has done for Leinster.
Old 19-09-20, 04:55 PM   #4458
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Saracens had three Scots starting for them today and one on the bench..!

Looks like they are going to see this out. Suspect that two massive back to back games has done for Leinster.
They rotated a fair bit though - the scrum the difference with 7 pens conceded and about 12 points. Sarries turned them over in so many crucial moments also - v impressive
Old 20-09-20, 09:08 PM   #4459
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 26-09-20, 11:47 AM   #4460
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I'm looking forward to the Racing v Saracens game today.
Old 26-09-20, 01:10 PM   #4461
Cormack74
Shankly

R92 should win reasonably comfortably I think, taking into account the plastic pitch, the players Sarries have lost in recent months . . .

and of course Finn Russell
Old 26-09-20, 01:14 PM   #4462
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

3 Scots in the Sarries XV and only 1 in the Racing, but I want Racing to win.
Old 26-09-20, 03:01 PM   #4463
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Some Finn Russell magic wins a tight game.
Old 26-09-20, 03:11 PM   #4464
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 26-09-20, 03:22 PM   #4465
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Brilliant

est1892 > General > General Sports