It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 01-12-20, 06:49 PM   #8881
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Do you have anything constructive to contribute or ask? Otherwise it's a fair opinion because we all have one, but weird place/context to voice it.
My original reply above was a fairly lengthy post querying what it was people found enjoyable about boxing but I removed it as I found it difficult to verbalise in a way which wouldn’t have riled some people.

You’re right though, what I ended up posting was a waste of time - sorry!
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 12:03 AM   #8882
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
My original reply above was a fairly lengthy post querying what it was people found enjoyable about boxing but I removed it as I found it difficult to verbalise in a way which wouldn’t have riled some people.

You’re right though, what I ended up posting was a waste of time - sorry!
No stress, was just curious. You're wondering if we're all psycho, passive aggressive masochists for enjoying such a 'violent' sport?

In short, for me it's about the competition, skill, techniques, strategy determination, tactics and showmanship. As mentioned before, I had a couple of amateur bouts at light welterweight and I don't think I've ever been so 'up' for anything. Not just the fight, the training, camaraderie for an individual sport and a weird inner belief that you're pretty good (not that I was particularly). Also a sense of your own mortality/vulnerability - both emotionally and physically.

To witness 2 domesticated/sophisticated humans go full primal and put everything on the line to write their legacy and obscene amount of money for our entertainment purposes is exhilarating. It's controlled aggression; calm, calculated and nothing like a bar fight. The characters involved are often interesting because it takes a special breed to voluntarily do this for a profession, therefore automatically a lot of them make really fascinating media characters.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 01:43 AM   #8883
Fivex
The Wisp

Boxing

Lol

Old 07-12-20, 07:12 AM   #8884
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
WTF? I'm no expert but this seems like a bit of an embarrassing mismatch, is it for charity or something?
Old 07-12-20, 08:57 AM   #8885
RichC
Meh

It’ll be for a huge bag of swag
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 02:59 PM   #8886
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Anyone who pays to watch that can get fucked.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:32 AM   #8887
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

It's not a proper fight, not going on Mayweather's record. Still, it's a farce regardless.
Old 08-12-20, 08:39 AM   #8888
EwarWoo
Paisley

As long as he hurts the little prick all good
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 01:48 PM   #8889
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
No stress, was just curious. You're wondering if we're all psycho, passive aggressive masochists for enjoying such a 'violent' sport?

In short, for me it's about the competition, skill, techniques, strategy determination, tactics and showmanship. As mentioned before, I had a couple of amateur bouts at light welterweight and I don't think I've ever been so 'up' for anything. Not just the fight, the training, camaraderie for an individual sport and a weird inner belief that you're pretty good (not that I was particularly). Also a sense of your own mortality/vulnerability - both emotionally and physically.

To witness 2 domesticated/sophisticated humans go full primal and put everything on the line to write their legacy and obscene amount of money for our entertainment purposes is exhilarating. It's controlled aggression; calm, calculated and nothing like a bar fight. The characters involved are often interesting because it takes a special breed to voluntarily do this for a profession, therefore automatically a lot of them make really fascinating media characters.

Balls to that. A couple litres of years out of date White Lightning whilst sat in the park and then shout at the other drunks until someone offers you a straightener. Now THAT'S the sweet science.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 10:54 AM   #8890
wiw
Paisley

Anyone on here box themselves?
Old 09-12-20, 11:11 AM   #8891
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Balls to that. A couple litres of years out of date White Lightning whilst sat in the park and then shout at the other drunks until someone offers you a straightener. Now THAT'S the sweet science.
Good to see you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
Anyone on here box themselves?
Well as mentioned, I briefly had a few amateur and white collar bouts. Trained and sparred in gyms for a several years but nothing of note. I'm really interested in getting into training fighters, so considering trying to do a 4 rounder next year. I'm in my mid 30s so a bit old to trying to turn pro - but it would be for educational/empathy reasons. It's not much but I would find it difficult (credibility wise) to instruct others without having stepped into the ring with small gloves and no headgear myself.

I vaguely recall Jaco saying he was a decent heavy at some point and considered turning pro. He can correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure about anyone else.
Old 09-12-20, 12:26 PM   #8892
fidget
Shankly

I boxed as a youth at a good club (our captain was an 8 x ABA winner and commonwealth gold winner) but drifted out of it when "distractions" came along. Did a fair bit of thai boxing in my twenties - far too old now to even consider anything but made sure my son knew how to throw a right hand by taking him to a local club for a couple of years age 8-10.
Old 09-12-20, 12:37 PM   #8893
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Good to see you back.

Well as mentioned, I briefly had a few amateur and white collar bouts. Trained and sparred in gyms for a several years but nothing of note. I'm really interested in getting into training fighters, so considering trying to do a 4 rounder next year. I'm in my mid 30s so a bit old to trying to turn pro - but it would be for educational/empathy reasons. It's not much but I would find it difficult (credibility wise) to instruct others without having stepped into the ring with small gloves and no headgear myself.

I vaguely recall Jaco saying he was a decent heavy at some point and considered turning pro. He can correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure about anyone else.

Held the Scrumpy Jack belt and was a contender for the Buckfast Buckler
Old 13-12-20, 12:02 AM   #8894
Zapater
Dalglish

Another riveting heavyweight contest with about 5 punches landed in the first 2 rounds.
Old 13-12-20, 12:08 AM   #8895
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Really is shite stuff although I think we all expected it beforehand to be fair.
Old 20-12-20, 06:06 AM   #8896
RichC
Meh

Watching the Smith vs Canelo fight, my god the commentary on DAZN is dreadful, spent the first 6 rounds just talking about Canelo.
Old 20-12-20, 06:31 AM   #8897
RichC
Meh

Impressive from Canelo, clear winner of that fight, looks incredibly comfortable at that weight which is nuts in itself.
Old 20-12-20, 06:46 AM   #8898
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Impressive from Canelo, clear winner of that fight, looks incredibly comfortable at that weight which is nuts in itself.
Definitely a candidate for the juice, people have been saying it for years. Would be shocked if he's clean.

Woke up still drunk and forgot about it. Only caught the last round. See almost everyone had Smith losing every round. Bit disappointing considering he's been speaking so much these last few years then completely bottles his first big test.
Old 20-12-20, 02:01 PM   #8899
fidget
Shankly

Looked like Smith had an arm injury - not that it would have made much difference against the talented juicer.
Old 20-12-20, 03:18 PM   #8900
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Definitely a candidate for the juice, people have been saying it for years. Would be shocked if he's clean.

Woke up still drunk and forgot about it. Only caught the last round. See almost everyone had Smith losing every round. Bit disappointing considering he's been speaking so much these last few years then completely bottles his first big test.

I imagine his pee glows in the dark.

est1892 > General > General Sports