It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 01-12-20, 06:49 PM   #8881
rudedog
Pig hater
 
rudedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Do you have anything constructive to contribute or ask? Otherwise it's a fair opinion because we all have one, but weird place/context to voice it.
My original reply above was a fairly lengthy post querying what it was people found enjoyable about boxing but I removed it as I found it difficult to verbalise in a way which wouldn’t have riled some people.

You’re right though, what I ended up posting was a waste of time - sorry!
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 12:03 AM   #8882
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
My original reply above was a fairly lengthy post querying what it was people found enjoyable about boxing but I removed it as I found it difficult to verbalise in a way which wouldn’t have riled some people.

You’re right though, what I ended up posting was a waste of time - sorry!
No stress, was just curious. You're wondering if we're all psycho, passive aggressive masochists for enjoying such a 'violent' sport?

In short, for me it's about the competition, skill, techniques, strategy determination, tactics and showmanship. As mentioned before, I had a couple of amateur bouts at light welterweight and I don't think I've ever been so 'up' for anything. Not just the fight, the training, camaraderie for an individual sport and a weird inner belief that you're pretty good (not that I was particularly). Also a sense of your own mortality/vulnerability - both emotionally and physically.

To witness 2 domesticated/sophisticated humans go full primal and put everything on the line to write their legacy and obscene amount of money for our entertainment purposes is exhilarating. It's controlled aggression; calm, calculated and nothing like a bar fight. The characters involved are often interesting because it takes a special breed to voluntarily do this for a profession, therefore automatically a lot of them make really fascinating media characters.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 01:43 AM   #8883
Fivex
The Wisp
 
Fivex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 20,496
Boxing

Lol

__________________
Hello mert.
Fivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 07:12 AM   #8884
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels
 
foresterbloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 34,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
WTF? I'm no expert but this seems like a bit of an embarrassing mismatch, is it for charity or something?
__________________
Great Britain is really fucked.
foresterbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 08:57 AM   #8885
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,498
It’ll be for a huge bag of swag
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 02:59 PM   #8886
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite
 
Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,921
Anyone who pays to watch that can get fucked.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:32 AM   #8887
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 130,671
It's not a proper fight, not going on Mayweather's record. Still, it's a farce regardless.
__________________
Fucking chances, goals
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:39 AM   #8888
EwarWoo
Paisley
 
EwarWoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,434
As long as he hurts the little prick all good
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 01:48 PM   #8889
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
No stress, was just curious. You're wondering if we're all psycho, passive aggressive masochists for enjoying such a 'violent' sport?

In short, for me it's about the competition, skill, techniques, strategy determination, tactics and showmanship. As mentioned before, I had a couple of amateur bouts at light welterweight and I don't think I've ever been so 'up' for anything. Not just the fight, the training, camaraderie for an individual sport and a weird inner belief that you're pretty good (not that I was particularly). Also a sense of your own mortality/vulnerability - both emotionally and physically.

To witness 2 domesticated/sophisticated humans go full primal and put everything on the line to write their legacy and obscene amount of money for our entertainment purposes is exhilarating. It's controlled aggression; calm, calculated and nothing like a bar fight. The characters involved are often interesting because it takes a special breed to voluntarily do this for a profession, therefore automatically a lot of them make really fascinating media characters.



Balls to that. A couple litres of years out of date White Lightning whilst sat in the park and then shout at the other drunks until someone offers you a straightener. Now THAT'S the sweet science.
__________________
Oh pale rider, you're in need of a hella talking to
Why don't you leave me be? I got things to do
Oh pale rider, the missus has it out for you
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 10:54 AM   #8890
wiw
Paisley
 
wiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,794
Anyone on here box themselves?
__________________
Sack swinging like Dub-D40 on a door hinge
wiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 11:11 AM   #8891
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Balls to that. A couple litres of years out of date White Lightning whilst sat in the park and then shout at the other drunks until someone offers you a straightener. Now THAT'S the sweet science.
Good to see you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
Anyone on here box themselves?
Well as mentioned, I briefly had a few amateur and white collar bouts. Trained and sparred in gyms for a several years but nothing of note. I'm really interested in getting into training fighters, so considering trying to do a 4 rounder next year. I'm in my mid 30s so a bit old to trying to turn pro - but it would be for educational/empathy reasons. It's not much but I would find it difficult (credibility wise) to instruct others without having stepped into the ring with small gloves and no headgear myself.

I vaguely recall Jaco saying he was a decent heavy at some point and considered turning pro. He can correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure about anyone else.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 12:26 PM   #8892
fidget
Shankly
 
fidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,142
I boxed as a youth at a good club (our captain was an 8 x ABA winner and commonwealth gold winner) but drifted out of it when "distractions" came along. Did a fair bit of thai boxing in my twenties - far too old now to even consider anything but made sure my son knew how to throw a right hand by taking him to a local club for a couple of years age 8-10.
__________________
Political language … is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 12:37 PM   #8893
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Good to see you back.



Well as mentioned, I briefly had a few amateur and white collar bouts. Trained and sparred in gyms for a several years but nothing of note. I'm really interested in getting into training fighters, so considering trying to do a 4 rounder next year. I'm in my mid 30s so a bit old to trying to turn pro - but it would be for educational/empathy reasons. It's not much but I would find it difficult (credibility wise) to instruct others without having stepped into the ring with small gloves and no headgear myself.

I vaguely recall Jaco saying he was a decent heavy at some point and considered turning pro. He can correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure about anyone else.


Held the Scrumpy Jack belt and was a contender for the Buckfast Buckler
__________________
Oh pale rider, you're in need of a hella talking to
Why don't you leave me be? I got things to do
Oh pale rider, the missus has it out for you
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-20, 12:02 AM   #8894
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,263
Another riveting heavyweight contest with about 5 punches landed in the first 2 rounds.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-20, 12:08 AM   #8895
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,170
Really is shite stuff although I think we all expected it beforehand to be fair.
__________________
Oh pale rider, you're in need of a hella talking to
Why don't you leave me be? I got things to do
Oh pale rider, the missus has it out for you
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:06 AM   #8896
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,498
Watching the Smith vs Canelo fight, my god the commentary on DAZN is dreadful, spent the first 6 rounds just talking about Canelo.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:31 AM   #8897
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,498
Impressive from Canelo, clear winner of that fight, looks incredibly comfortable at that weight which is nuts in itself.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 06:46 AM   #8898
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Impressive from Canelo, clear winner of that fight, looks incredibly comfortable at that weight which is nuts in itself.
Definitely a candidate for the juice, people have been saying it for years. Would be shocked if he's clean.

Woke up still drunk and forgot about it. Only caught the last round. See almost everyone had Smith losing every round. Bit disappointing considering he's been speaking so much these last few years then completely bottles his first big test.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 02:01 PM   #8899
fidget
Shankly
 
fidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,142
Looked like Smith had an arm injury - not that it would have made much difference against the talented juicer.
__________________
Political language … is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-20, 03:18 PM   #8900
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Definitely a candidate for the juice, people have been saying it for years. Would be shocked if he's clean.

Woke up still drunk and forgot about it. Only caught the last round. See almost everyone had Smith losing every round. Bit disappointing considering he's been speaking so much these last few years then completely bottles his first big test.


I imagine his pee glows in the dark.
__________________
Oh pale rider, you're in need of a hella talking to
Why don't you leave me be? I got things to do
Oh pale rider, the missus has it out for you
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > General > General Sports

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.