It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 02-12-16, 02:19 PM   #2121
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 02:23 PM   #2122
Vermilion
Shooterista

Odd. Not long signed a new deal too.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 02:40 PM   #2123
Mike
Hip Flask Hater

Nico knows he wouldn't win another world title so left on a high note. Werlein for his seat?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 02:59 PM   #2124
Daniel 7
Heretic

Must have something to do with Hamilton. It has to. One of them had to go, and Nico obviously isn't as talented.
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 03:05 PM   #2125
Vermilion
Shooterista

Family. He probably grew up thinking i wish Dad was here more often, so with his own family he may think he wants to do things different.
Old 02-12-16, 05:23 PM   #2126
meffin
Officially the best insider on this forum. Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Nico knows he wouldn't win another world title so left on a high note. Werlein for his seat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
Must have something to do with Hamilton. It has to. One of them had to go, and Nico obviously isn't as talented.
I think its a combination of these
meffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 05:40 PM   #2127
G
Paisley

Conspiracy theorists always said Mercedes favoured Nico this year, if they did they'll be pretty pissed off they got him what he wanted and he left them in the Lurch
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 06:05 PM   #2128
Daniel 7
Heretic

They should go all out for Max
Old 02-12-16, 06:46 PM   #2129
G
Paisley

Alonso would walk over broken glass for that car, time's running out for him to get his third title. He'd probably even drive for free.
Old 02-12-16, 07:02 PM   #2130
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

He's fulfilled his dream and is going out on top. Fair play to the lad and he's also got a family to think about and he doesn't need to take anymore risks and possibly battling with Lewis next season who let's put it lightly is going to be ruthless might be a bit to much to cope with.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 10:46 PM   #2131
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I am going to disagree with a lot of the comments here. I think he's fucking bottled it. Appreciate he's a world champion, show you're a true champion and fight ffs, don't run away.

I don't get it, yes it's a dangerous career but that forms part of being a racer - to live on the edge. He should have embraced the challenge, Hamilton is probably pissing himself now.

For what it's worth I think they're both bellends, both a pair of arrogant cunts and F1 is shite anyway but it will be interesting to see who takes his place. The sport needs a massive shake up.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 11:09 PM   #2132
G
Paisley

It's not that he's afraid of the fight he's just doesn't need it in his life, he's won one, he only wanted one. He's heading off into the sunset with millions in his back pocket and the trophy he always wanted. Fair fucks to him I say.
Old 02-12-16, 11:23 PM   #2133
Slinky Skills

But he will never go down as a true legend though will he? If I had just won a Championship I would want to win several more, he's 31 G he still has years left in the sport regardless of whether he has the wedge or not, he's shown himself to be a bottler who has taken the easy way out. That's just my take on it.

TBH the way F1 is these days the cars do most of the work for them, it's too easy. They need challenging to show what they are all capable of across a level playing field, it's too easy for them and Mercedes.

I am still baffled by his decision, if he'd won 3 or 4 Championships then fair enough but he won't touch any of the F1 legends now by taking this decision. Maybe he just can't be arsed I don't know but if that is the case why race in the first place.

Old 02-12-16, 11:44 PM   #2134
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

To be honest slinks he probably realises that it's going to be his only world title as he has been extremely fortunate this season as Hamilton has had a few DNF's and without them Lewis would have cruised to another title.

Maybe he has bottled it but ultimately he has followed in his father's footsteps which is all he's ever wanted.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 11:49 PM   #2135
Slinky Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
To be honest slinks he probably realises that it's going to be his only world title as he has been extremely fortunate this season as Hamilton has had a few DNF's and without them Lewis would have cruised to another title.

Maybe he has bottled it but ultimately he has followed in his father's footsteps which is all he's ever wanted.
Maybe, my friend has said the exact same thing and that is he knows he will probably never do it again. Quite sad really and I find it a tad disappointing.

Hamilton is a very good driver and he's had some bad luck but he's a winner and has more desire than Rosberg ultimately.

I know Rosberg was kind of living in his dad's shadow and it's still a great achievement but for F1 it's a disappointment he's leaving.

Old 03-12-16, 12:09 AM   #2136
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
But he will never go down as a true legend though will he?
I'm not going to purport to know his mind, but perhaps to him there are other things more important in life which would be fair enough. Not everyone wants to be all conquering at great cost to other things in life. That's not a question of bottle.
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 12:14 AM   #2137
Vermilion
Shooterista

You have to remember Slinks, he's been doing this for 25 yrs.

He said that to beat Hamilton this year, he had to work so hard, under so much pressure, and full on devotion to the task at hand, hardly seeing his family.

I don't think he finds it as easy as Lewis does to perform at the top level, at the peak of his own abilty, that's what separates the best from the rest, he has to try harder, work at it more to compete.

He's quite simply not prepared to go through that again, especially as he's just become a father.

As i say, 25yrs he's been racing, and he's finally conquered his demon, ie: Lewis Hamilton. (with help from engine gremlins yes, but all that matters to him is he got there, he did it, just like his Dad did.

I can totally see why it feels right for him to call it a day, he's not interested in being a legend, not in other peoples eyes anyway, he'll always be a legend to his family, and he can be with his kids as they grow up, travelling the world, enjoying life and being there for all their firsts.

Last edited by Vermilion; 03-12-16 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-12-16, 12:35 AM   #2138
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
But he will never go down as a true legend though will he? If I had just won a Championship I would want to win several more, he's 31 G he still has years left in the sport regardless of whether he has the wedge or not, he's shown himself to be a bottler who has taken the easy way out. That's just my take on it.

TBH the way F1 is these days the cars do most of the work for them, it's too easy. They need challenging to show what they are all capable of across a level playing field, it's too easy for them and Mercedes.

I am still baffled by his decision, if he'd won 3 or 4 Championships then fair enough but he won't touch any of the F1 legends now by taking this decision. Maybe he just can't be arsed I don't know but if that is the case why race in the first place.
Hmmm.

I'm not sure you're able to put yourself in his shoes. And even if you could, why does it matter?

Imagine that Rosberg took umbrage at your career, decisions and motivations or bottling? Based his opinions solely on visiting this website (as opposed to watching him wearing a helmet in a car)?

He doesn't know you. What right would he have to tell you what you should do and why? Your career, your life choices. Not least in the week when you might have achieved your life's dream. Something that very few of us will ever experience.

Perspective, slinks. Perspective.

Last edited by dom9; 03-12-16 at 12:37 AM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 01:15 AM   #2139
Daniel 7
Heretic

He's won a World championship against a much more talented driver in the best car on the grid. The rules change next season and Mercedes aren't going to necessarily have that advantage anymore. He's had 3 years of stress and hassle, he probably couldn't face another year of battling Lewis Hamilton again - it must be wearing. I remember Mika Hakkinen saying how tiring the pressure was - he was a similar age when he gave up too. Add in that he's recently become a father for the first time and probably wants to see his kid, it isn't that surprising a choice.

It's never going to get better than this for him. Good luck to him.
Old 03-12-16, 01:27 PM   #2140
G
Paisley

Quote:

He was never going to become a legend either, he could drive for years and never win another one. He's not good enough. He lucked in this year much like Button lucked in a few years back. Good but not great and that's how history will view them. Only the very best will win multiple championships and he's not in that bracket.

Last edited by G; 03-12-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-12-16, 10:53 AM   #2141
paulg
Dalglish

Rosberg has a wife and young kid, Lewis doesn't. They both have very different perspectives on life. I think Rosberg deserves credit for knowing his own mind. It is still a dangerous and stressful sport. Nico has done what he set out to do. Which is more than most of us can say in our own lives.
paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 11:39 AM   #2142
labourRed
Shankly

There's no doubt in my mind if i had £100m or more in my skyrocket i would prefer to spend my days with a new born than travelling the world risking my life. But then that's probably why i'm not a world champion.

Anyway, good luck to the lad. Saw an opening, took it, lived a dream!
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-17, 03:48 PM   #2143
RichC
Meh

Bottas confirmed to drive for Merc next season then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38489054
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 01:42 PM   #2144
Daniel 7
Heretic

So, F1 2017 kicks off this weekend with all new cars, regulations and the potential for some competition at the front end of the grid - in the fuel adjusted figures from testing, Ferrari are coming out on top by about 0.8s, which would be quite a distance if it pans out that way. I can't see that being the case, and imagine that Mercedes have been focussing on reliability over the winter rather than eye catching speed tests - they had the speed already, and if Hamilton's 2016 is anything to go by, the reliability needed a lot of attention.

Still - Ferrari should be closer this year - James Allison was heavily involved in the design of that car, so its going to be good. That he's joined Mercedes should work against Ferrari longer term, given the in season development history of Ferrari (its bad), and the knowledge of their performance gains going to their direct rival.

McLaren look utterly shambolic and in complete crisis mode. Honda are a disaster and if anything look worse than they did last year. They'll be at the very back of the grid for the first few races at least, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Alonso walk out half way through the season.

Predictions?

Hamilton for the title, with Vettel pushing him
Ferrari to go close with Mercedes for the constructors
Verstappen and Ricciardo to fall out
Boring races for the first few until the teams get to grips with the new cars, and the drivers figure out how to get their wider cars overtaking one another
Old 08-04-17, 10:31 PM   #2145
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary

This season has the possibility of a Lewis Seb battle. That would be interesting
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 02:14 AM   #2146
Rhys
Fagan

Would be nice for a Ferrari to have speed. Lewis definitly the one to beat this year.

You'll Never Walk Alone
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 09:27 AM   #2147
RichC
Meh

Only two races in but shaping up that we'll have two cars capable of winning races.

Already looking a bit like Bottas is a bit out of his depth, needs a good showing next weekend
Old 10-04-17, 01:18 PM   #2148
Daniel 7
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Only two races in but shaping up that we'll have two cars capable of winning races.

Already looking a bit like Bottas is a bit out of his depth, needs a good showing next weekend
I'd say the same about Raikkonen as well - he looks completely finished. It would be great to see Mercedes go for Fernando (never gonna happen) and Ferrari go for Sainz - he looks ready for a big move. No Toro Rosso driver has ever done 4 years there, and this is his third now.
Old 10-04-17, 06:51 PM   #2149
RichC
Meh

I'd agree with Kimi as well, struggled so far this season and looks miles behind Vettel so far in the same car.

Alonso in a Merc would be great, don't think the management would fancy managing both him and Lewis, it'd prove difficult to say the least! Sainz looks a good prospect doesn't he and I think these new cars are emphasising the driver talent more than before.

Oh and Lance Stroll, not sure how he's got his drive with Williams $$$$$$$$$
Old 12-04-17, 11:21 AM   #2150
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
McLaren driver Fernando Alonso will miss this year's Monaco Grand Prix so he can race in the Indianapolis 500.

The double world champion has the full approval and support of McLaren and engine partner Honda, who are having a difficult season in Formula 1.

Alonso, 35, will race for the Honda-powered Andretti team, and the car will be branded a McLaren.

McLaren are yet to decide who will replace him in Monaco, but Britain's Jenson Button is a possibility.
Old 12-04-17, 11:44 AM   #2151
RichC
Meh

McLaren clearly doing all they can to appease him at the moment well everything but provide a car that's competitive!
Old 12-04-17, 11:51 AM   #2152
Daniel 7
Heretic

Crazy. Good luck to him though, he can't be having much fun trundling around for McLaren
Old 12-04-17, 11:54 AM   #2153
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

No second guessing who the dominant partner in this relationship is..!
Old 12-04-17, 11:55 AM   #2154
Daniel 7
Heretic

Shades of peak Gerrard at Liverpool
Old 12-04-17, 11:58 AM   #2155
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I wonder when he'll start driving in his jeans without a helmet and turning up pissed?
Old 15-04-17, 01:28 PM   #2156
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary

I would like Williams to have the hulk and sainz as it's driver pairing. That would be quite a statement. Won't happen obviously
Old 15-04-17, 01:37 PM   #2157
RichC
Meh

Hulk I think is possible I think you'll see Sainz in Ferrari red
Old 15-04-17, 03:43 PM   #2158
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary

Not sure hulk is possible I'm afraid. Sainz or Daniel ric in Ferrari red . Either way no sainz in Williams
Old 15-04-17, 04:06 PM   #2159
RichC
Meh

I can see him at Williams he's not likely to get a drive now with Mefc, Ferrari or Red Bull which leaves somewhere like Williams as a possibility.
Old 15-04-17, 05:30 PM   #2160
CJ
Shadow Inanity Secretary

Already been with Williams! I can't see him coming back.

Remember Renault are still building. Lots of engineers left when they were owned by Lopez. They are building back towards the full factory support they had in the past.

est1892 > General > General Sports