It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 08-06-21, 11:33 AM   #1281
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabinho View Post
€150k a week and some sort of signing fee I'd imagine. Not a bad way to see out your last few years of employment.
Exactly, I like my employer but not loyal to him so if someone comes along & offers to double my salary to do the same job, I'll be "see ya later, mate" to my boss!...no brainer & think that would apply to most of us on here!
Old 08-06-21, 03:30 PM   #1282
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Wasn't a footballing decision then after all
Nothing wrong with that and his priorities are his own. Let that man go out and maximize his earning potential if we wants to.

Well done, congrats Gini and all the best!
kemm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 03:33 PM   #1283
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemm1 View Post
Nothing wrong with that and his priorities are his own. Let that man go out and maximize his earning potential if we wants to.

Well done, congrats Gini and all the best!
Old 09-06-21, 03:18 PM   #1284
Irishnev
Paisley

I wish Gini would stop alluding to some sinister goings on......

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-21, 03:53 PM   #1285
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post

https://twitter.com/lfctransferroom/...25756275019788
Aye, that what's agents are for...shoulda got better agent then, Gini!
Old 10-06-21, 02:36 PM   #1286
Pepe79
Shankly

Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 03:12 PM   #1287
Charly
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post

https://twitter.com/lfctransferroom/...25756275019788
I hate that too. If he has a complaint to make, he should just come out with it. That way the club can repsond with their side.

To be honest, kinds makes me think he is an arsehole, because that is what arseholes do when they have lost the moral high ground.

I mean, what exactly could it be? We are trying to sign another midfielder? That is what football clubs do. Or perhaps he had to give Big Virg an oily rubdown post match. Shit, I'd do that for free.

And of course if something shitty really was happening, what is to stop it happening again to the next guy?

I would have utmost respect if he just said he fancied a change. He has given us fantastic memories and will go down in history as part of a ledgendary team. Nobody will begrudge him a move. Just be honest and respectful.
Old 10-06-21, 03:49 PM   #1288
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
I hate that too. If he has a complaint to make, he should just come out with it. That way the club can repsond with their side.

To be honest, kinds makes me think he is an arsehole, because that is what arseholes do when they have lost the moral high ground.

I mean, what exactly could it be? We are trying to sign another midfielder? That is what football clubs do. Or perhaps he had to give Big Virg an oily rubdown post match. Shit, I'd do that for free.

And of course if something shitty really was happening, what is to stop it happening again to the next guy?

I would have utmost respect if he just said he fancied a change. He has given us fantastic memories and will go down in history as part of a ledgendary team. Nobody will begrudge him a move. Just be honest and respectful.
To be honest, my guess is he was told he would be used in a more limited fashion going forwards, with the emergence of Jones and maybe Elliott meaning his playing time would be limited (barring another round of injuries) with Fab, Thiago and Henderson as the main trio, and the others rotated in and out when r+r is required. Probably not what he wanted to hear given the key role he has played until now.
Old 10-06-21, 04:20 PM   #1289
Corndog
Dalglish

Nah, I think the club maybe didn't want to give him 3 years.

This insane team that won the CL and league will need to be refreshed in the next two years as the prime players get to 30 and beyond.

That's a really tricky thing to do. Very few managers can refresh a squad gradually and maintain the performance levels.

Löw just tried it with Germany and it didn't go well. The reason he decided not to pick Hummel's, Boateng and Mueller was not because they stopped being some of Germany's best footballers, it was to gradually give the generations below more first team experience so that when that core group of veterans retire, they won't be left with a group who lack national team experience.

There are obviously differences between club and country set ups but maybe not wanting to tie him down for 3 years was to give Jones the space to development. Or maybe they just did an economic analysis and felt it didn't make sense.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 09:46 PM   #1290
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Old 24-07-21, 09:47 PM   #1291
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

He needs to grow up if that's the case
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 10:04 PM   #1292
Pepe79
Shankly

The tweet is bollocks. He talks about the rubbish he got on social media, clearly it affected him, but he doesn’t say it was the ‘main reason’ at all.
Old 24-07-21, 10:32 PM   #1293
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

[quote=Fredo;3725998]
[/quote shit

(nope)
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 11:06 PM   #1294
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

[quote=Saveloy;3726002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 03:11 AM   #1295
Fuzzy
Fagan

lol what a little bitch
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 05:42 AM   #1296
Harv
Randy Marsh

Easy thing to do as a player is to just not use social media. Its shit anyway, you know there's always going to be more dickhead fans than good ones, opp fans giving you shit non stop, over the top reactions to everything you do on there. Why bother.

Also, this is just an easy excuse. He left for money, there's no other reason you'd join PSG when you could go to any big Spanish, Italian, German or stay at a club competing for leagues and Champions league like we do. He got one last big fat pay day and some easy titles in France. Complete pussy move IMO, but so be it.

He was an excellent player for us, but he's gone down in my books for leaving like he did, and then trotting out i was used as a scapegoat on social media excuse.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 07:38 AM   #1297
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Players and their egos. Rich beyond belief and mentally fragile as a pane of glass thrown into a skip.

Great servant. Now just enjoy the money Gini and the gentile Parisan lifestyle.

Last edited by BobTheCharmer; 25-07-21 at 07:49 AM.
BobTheCharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 07:53 AM   #1298
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Del

Last edited by Saveloy; 25-07-21 at 07:58 AM.
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 08:13 AM   #1299
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
The tweet is bollocks. He talks about the rubbish he got on social media, clearly it affected him, but he doesn’t say it was the ‘main reason’ at all.
Would you mind posting it please? Couldn't access it and would like to actually read it properly before jumping on the bandwagon.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 08:26 AM   #1300
fabinho
Benitez

It's a reflection of the society we live in today where people seem to think we can live in a Utopia where nobody ever says anything nasty or hurtful. Good luck finding that Gini, don't hold your breath though.
Old 25-07-21, 08:31 AM   #1301
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Fair play to him, more footballers should call 'fans' out on their shit.

I used to hate hearing on here people justifying their crap by say 'as if he's going to be on Est and care what I say', but hate festers and grows and doesn't take long before there is a bandwagon. Actions have consequences.

I was totally sickened with the treatment a 17 Sterling got at Anfield in a game he played well and there is no way dickheads in the stadium would have behaved like that without the support of an Internet campaign. Of course when he left it was also about the money and the self righteous fans did no wrong.

And it's almost funny that some of the people outraged by his comments (not on here, but hardly a ringing endorsement either) , then go on to prove his exact point with their response.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 08:34 AM   #1302
RedReet

Quote:
It's a reflection of the society we live in today where people seem to think we can live in a Utopia where nobody ever says anything nasty or hurtful. Good luck finding that Gini, don't hold your breath though.
He was undervalued financially by the club and undervalued in the most by a large section of the fanbase, so why should he stay? I don't think he's upset that one or two people said he had a bad game.
Old 25-07-21, 08:44 AM   #1303
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
He was undervalued financially by the club and undervalued in the most by a large section of the fanbase, so why should he stay? I don't think he's upset that one or two people said he had a bad game.
I disagree with most of that. He was a great player for us and one of the first names on the team sheet for 99% of the fanbaze I think.

Paid handsomely by the club too.
Old 25-07-21, 08:56 AM   #1304
RedReet

Yeah right.

Talk about rose tinted spectacles.
Old 25-07-21, 09:01 AM   #1305
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Easy thing to do as a player is to just not use social media.
Yes, but that will cost them money and free shit because they won't advertise things.

These reasons are utter bollocks anyway. He wanted a big pay day and took it, end off. The social media abuse is universal in football, everyone gets hammered.
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 09:42 AM   #1306
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:
Yeah right.

Talk about rose tinted spectacles.
I honestly have no idea what you're on about?

Does Gini not start in everyones 11 if fit?
He was on just under 5m a year here too?
Old 25-07-21, 09:57 AM   #1307
poorscousertommy
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
lol what a little bitch
I mean if you bothered to read the story you’d know the headline is shite
poorscousertommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 09:59 AM   #1308
poorscousertommy
Dalglish

Quote:
No, it’s more indicative of the world we live in where keyboard warriors feel safe to be abusive to people from any walk of life and feel safe to do so, knowing they will not be on the receiving end of any consequential action.

Last edited by poorscousertommy; 25-07-21 at 10:49 AM.
poorscousertommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 10:02 AM   #1309
RedReet

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what you're on about?

Does Gini not start in everyones 11 if fit?
He was on just under 5m a year here too?
He was our lowest earning midfielder. Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Ox, Keita, Milner all on more than him. Most new signings get major pay rises after 1st o r2nd season when here, he didn't. Doesn't matter if he's on £500k per week if everyone else is on £800k, it all relative. So yes, statistically undervalued financially by the club.

For years Gini got abused for being invisible and not influencing games. This quietened a bit during our successful seasons, but as he alludes to himself, after every bad team performance he was one of the first in line for abuse. I'm not gonna start digging out quotes, but there are countless examples.
Old 25-07-21, 11:00 AM   #1310
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
He was our lowest earning midfielder. Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Ox, Keita, Milner all on more than him. Most new signings get major pay rises after 1st o r2nd season when here, he didn't. Doesn't matter if he's on £500k per week if everyone else is on £800k, it all relative. So yes, statistically undervalued financially by the club.

For years Gini got abused for being invisible and not influencing games. This quietened a bit during our successful seasons, but as he alludes to himself, after every bad team performance he was one of the first in line for abuse. I'm not gonna start digging out quotes, but there are countless examples.

Actual abuse or just criticism when he played badly? He put in a number of sub par (by his own standards) performances this season and a lot of the time those bad performances came when he was one of the senior players in the team that we would be hoping to guide the less senior players.

I see nothing wrong with discussing and criticising a player's performances on a fan forum tbh, same way there is nothing wrong with praising a good performance.

If it slips into personal abuse about a player though that is a different story altogether and totally out line.

On a related note I look forward to Charly sending Philips screenshots of me calling him a bum a la Mickey from Rocky and Philips then going public to say I am the reason he left the club.
Old 25-07-21, 11:22 AM   #1311
Paul12
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorscousertommy View Post
No, it’s more indicative of the world we live in where keyboard warriors feel safe to be abusive to people from any walk of life and feel safe to do so, knowing they will not be on the receiving end of any consequential action.

Some of the stuff that is posted on this website after the team has lost is appalling - and that seems to be true of all other fan sites. The things that are posted when we go behind in a game can also be way way over the top. It is too easy to say "it was in the heat of the moment", or "it doesn't matter because the players don't read websites like this" or "it is just banter".
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 11:29 AM   #1312
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorscousertommy View Post
You don't think this happened before the Internet?
Old 25-07-21, 11:30 AM   #1313
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Some of the stuff that is posted on this website after the team has lost is appalling
That’s nonsense, with all due respect.
Old 25-07-21, 11:32 AM   #1314
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Actual abuse or just criticism when he played badly? He put in a number of sub par (by his own standards) performances this season and a lot of the time those bad performances came when he was one of the senior players in the team that we would be hoping to guide the less senior players.

I see nothing wrong with discussing and criticising a player's performances on a fan forum tbh, same way there is nothing wrong with praising a good performance.

If it slips into personal abuse about a player though that is a different story altogether and totally out line.

On a related note I look forward to Charly sending Philips screenshots of me calling him a bum a la Mickey from Rocky and Philips then going public to say I am the reason he left the club.
I'm sure there was personal abuse, but TBH it's just the lazy criticism I'm referring to. People labelled him the invisible man, so loved an excuse to say he was invisible. When players are pigeon holed like that, you then get people weighing in and criticising their performances in matches they didn't even watch, but still couldn't miss an opportunity to criticise. You may say that's fair enough, the criticism is warranted, but I say it's tedious and unfair.

And TBH, Gini isn't the worst example, nowhere near it, but he doesn't have to be. If he feels he was unfairly targeting for criticism and was upset by it, then who cares how severe it was.
Old 25-07-21, 11:35 AM   #1315
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:

I wasn't aware of his salary in comparison to others, but if I'm being totally honest, I have zero sympathy anyway when it comes to the pay of top footballers.

He was a great footballer for us though.
Old 25-07-21, 11:41 AM   #1316
RedReet

Quote:
I wasn't aware of his salary in comparison to others, but if I'm being totally honest, I have zero sympathy anyway when it comes to the pay of top footballers.

He was a great footballer for us though.
Agreed

Although I genuinely don't think it was about the money for Gini.
Old 25-07-21, 11:43 AM   #1317
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post

Nothing wrong with fair criticism, the problem was so much of it was brainless.

I saw the ‘coasting’ and ‘saving himself for a move’ accusations a lot last season. The guy played well over 5000 minutes in a condensed season, a game every 3 or 4 days non stop. If he was ever off the pace, below par or even trying to conserve himself at times to keep himself available and on the pitch, then no wonder.

But no consideration for that from those who decided it was a blatant lack of desire or commitment from him.
Old 25-07-21, 12:08 PM   #1318
Exiled_red
Paisley

It's a difficult one for me, I can't say I was aware of the abuse that he was getting obviously that doesn't mean he wasn't getting any or that it wasn't affecting him.

In terms of how he was valued, he was on a decent wage when he came in 5 years ago. Obviously the market has changed in that time, we have brought in some better quality players and won some trophies since then. It's over 2 years since the club offered to double his salary, but he didn't sign the contract. If he isn't willing to sign a new contract he is obviously going to remain undervalued until he leaves. I found it frustrating that the club wouldn't offer him a longer deal given he is one of the first names on the team sheet and he has always been available. In terms of the fans maybe some didn appreciate him in the first couple of years but I would say most did the years we won the CL and PL. As the team performance level dropped this year he got a bit more stick and comments questioning his commitment given the contract situation (which were out of order IMO) but seem par for the course nowadays.
Old 25-07-21, 12:14 PM   #1319
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

There’s not much wrong with brainless criticism either. Let’s say his form last season was all tiredness, all that says is that people questioning his commitment on the Internet were wrong. What’s the problem and how’s it relevant to him leaving? I definitely don’t believe that Liverpool fans are harsher and more commonly wrong than any other group, so I’m not sure of the relevance. The hints at potentially dramatic issues behind the scenes seems to have been nothing, and he’s not our player anymore, there doesn’t seem to be a cause for an inquisition so everyone carries on as before, and he starts a new life being abused in French.

Last edited by Kenneth; 25-07-21 at 12:25 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 12:23 PM   #1320
Pepe79
Shankly

If you're repeatedly wrongly criticised about something, then what's the problem with answering back and correcting people about it?

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC