It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 23-05-21, 09:08 PM   #1201
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

God I love him.
Old 23-05-21, 09:18 PM   #1202
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

It does seem quite odd
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 09:23 PM   #1203
S-RED
Dalglish

just fuckin pay him the money & we will all be happy.

This is the part of the FSG moneyball i detest, Emre Can was the same, but obviously to a lower level.

Gini isn't asking nuts money just parity FFS
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 09:53 PM   #1204
labourRed
Shankly

I feel like the barca project has been sold to him. They can't afford big fees so they'll lump on wages ala Italian clubs. I can't blame him. I just hope we sign someone that can fill his shoes.

Whatever Gini was, he was a big game player. They aren't easy to find.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 09:56 PM   #1205
kemm1
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Time for Jones to step up!
kemm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 09:59 PM   #1206
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah definitely bizarre. Wants to stay, loved by manager, fans, teammates?

Whats the issue?
Old 23-05-21, 10:04 PM   #1207
Pepe79
Shankly

Seems to be a cold, hard business decision. Possibly on Gini’s part as well as the club’s tbf.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 10:05 PM   #1208
Liverpool
Paisley

Last edited by Liverpool; 24-05-21 at 01:14 PM.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 10:08 PM   #1209
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post

This is the part of the FSG moneyball i detest, Emre Can was the same, but obviously to a lower level.

Parity with who?

Last edited by Kenneth; 23-05-21 at 10:12 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 10:19 PM   #1210
dizzycat
Dalglish

I don't see the need for him to go in financial terms, most players are rich beyond belief anyway. If he wants a new challenge then fair enough. We have had his services for his prime years and he has been great for us. Thanks and good luck Gini.
Old 23-05-21, 10:26 PM   #1211
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzycat View Post
I don't see the need for him to go in financial terms, most players are rich beyond belief anyway. If he wants a new challenge then fair enough. We have had his services for his prime years and he has been great for us. Thanks and good luck Gini.
Have you not read his letter? He wanted to stay by the look of it
Old 23-05-21, 10:33 PM   #1212
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Yes, but obviously only on certain terms.
Old 23-05-21, 10:52 PM   #1213
peekay
Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post

I don't think it is just about the salary. He wanted a longer contract than we were willing to offer. Many members in our spine will be hitting their 30s in a year or two and we should be looking to bringing in younger players. I wish he stayed but I can understand the rationale from FSG and Edwards.
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 10:58 PM   #1214
Venton
Paisley

Well, we have it straight from the horse's mouth. God had other plans for him.
Old 23-05-21, 11:08 PM   #1215
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

God is planning for more than 200k a week.
Old 23-05-21, 11:15 PM   #1216
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
God is planning for more than 200k a week.
It's amazing how the all powerful deities' often inscrutable and usually capricious designs align with our own financial interests. It's almost like it's written in the stars
Old 24-05-21, 12:19 AM   #1217
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venton View Post
It's amazing how the all powerful deities' often inscrutable and usually capricious designs align with our own financial interests. It's almost like it's written in the stars
If there is a God then they only have one plan for us and that's to die.
Old 24-05-21, 12:52 AM   #1218
SB
Paisley

All the best Gini & thanks for the great memories. We will forgive you if you change your mind & re-sign.
Old 24-05-21, 02:32 AM   #1219
Mr Pink
Benitez

Yaaa Id love to know what exactly he wanted and what exactly the club was offering. On the surface it defo doesnt make sense. It must be frustrating for the guy when he sees other midfielders earning considerably more than him- hendo, Milner, Thiago, Fabinho, and especially naby and ox...

But hes taking a big risk not having signed with any other club yet either. If he gets a bad injury in the euros, hes fucked!
Old 24-05-21, 02:36 AM   #1220
SB
Paisley

Yeah if I was him I’d want my future sorting before the Euros. Waiting to see who’s in charge at Barca no doubt
Old 24-05-21, 05:52 AM   #1221
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yeah definitely bizarre. Wants to stay, loved by manager, fans, teammates?

Whats the issue?
Theres still time. He is our player until 1st July
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 10:01 AM   #1222
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Theres still time. He is our player until 1st July
Nah, way he said goodbye to everyone as he walked off it's done and dusted.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 10:24 AM   #1223
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Massive fan of Gini, absolutely shit this season but he has been a fabulous player for us and is a huge part of our recent success. A true all rounder and genuinely seems a nice guy as well, loved by all. I'm sure the details will come out at some point about why he has left. In the end it won't matter he'll just be another guy that has left the club and we'll move on.

Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho is probably first choice when everyone is fit. For me though with Gini gone, a goal scoring midfielder would be a lovely replacement. Having players to break down teams who sit deep is paramount now, we have graft in the midfield and now with Thiago we have real craft there too. Now we just need someone who can chip in with goals from the midfield so we are not so reliant on the front lads. I can see why we've been linked with the of Goncalves when you see just how important likes of Fernandes, KDB, Gundogan are scoring goals from the midfield areas. I also see why we've been linked with likes of Bissouma as having a DM who can shield the back likes of Kante, Kimmich, Casemiro.

We need quality squad depth, this season has highlighted that more than ever.

Last edited by danperkins; 24-05-21 at 10:28 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 10:25 AM   #1224
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Gini was brilliant up until the turn of the year. Same as Robbo and then dropped off. Our season began well, terrible middle section, and ended well.

There needs to be a few more categories of performance for players than ‘absolute shite’ and ‘brilliant’
Old 24-05-21, 10:35 AM   #1225
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Gini was brilliant up until the turn of the year. Same as Robbo and then dropped off. Our season began well, terrible middle section, and ended well.

There needs to be a few more categories of performance for players than ‘absolute shite’ and ‘brilliant’
I am prepared to let most guys this season off, because of the crazy nature of the season - compressed because of COVID, no fans in the ground, the absence of any real recognised CBs for more than half of the season. These all clearly affected the players, the full backs and midfielders were either filling in or covering for the CBs and not able to play their natural game, the midfield was deeper because of this, the high press wasn't really there and the gap between the midfield and the forwards was bigger than normal giving them a more difficult time. Yes we can find alot to moan about but IMO there were alot of mitigating circumstances. In the end we made the CL I am happy to focus on the positives and forget about many of the negatives and move on.

The one thing we cannot forget is though is the issues of who has been reliable (in terms of injury) and who hasn't for me this has been building for a while and I think we really need to get review the viability of keeping some of the players that regularly spend half a season or so injured or unavailable (Matip, Ox, Naby etc)
Old 24-05-21, 10:39 AM   #1226
danperkins

Quote:

that's fair enough both were good up until Decemeber, after that it has been pretty much car crash stuff. Gini coasting anonymous in games and Robbo just exhausted and his crossing and passing went off a cliff. So yeah for the second half of the season it is fair to say both have been pretty shit. Also lets call a spade a spade you are just about as biased as it gets when it comes to Robbo

I am a huge fan of both Robbo and Gini but unfortunately when you set certain standards, you are judged by those it comes with the territory. I would argue Robbo has been one of/if not the best left back in the world the last few years. Robbo did start off well looke so sharp and then just tailed off, over played and just a huge drop off in his passing and crossing. Never knock his effort and the positions he gets in. I don't worry about him at all, he has simply been over played & Gini's head has been elsewhere. The problem we have in the last 5 months or so is that we didn't have quality replacements to bench them. We cannot put ourselves in that position again if we want to win the league.

I'm glad this season is over, it really has been a messed up year and an exhausting one as a fan. Champs league spot done and dusted so delighted about that.

Last edited by danperkins; 24-05-21 at 10:43 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 10:44 AM   #1227
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I am prepared to let most guys this season off, because of the crazy nature of the season - compressed because of COVID, no fans in the ground, the absence of any real recognised CBs for more than half of the season. These all clearly affected the players, the full backs and midfielders were either filling in or covering for the CBs and not able to play their natural game, the midfield was deeper because of this, the high press wasn't really there and the gap between the midfield and the forwards was bigger than normal giving them a more difficult time. Yes we can find alot to moan about but IMO there were alot of mitigating circumstances. In the end we made the CL I am happy to focus on the positives and forget about many of the negatives and move on.

The one thing we cannot forget is though is the issues of who has been reliable (in terms of injury) and who hasn't for me this has been building for a while and I think we really need to get review the viability of keeping some of the players that regularly spend half a season or so injured or unavailable (Matip, Ox, Naby etc)
A huge issue and I suppose one of the reason Gini was so important to us, always available.
Old 24-05-21, 11:03 AM   #1228
frank the tank
Shankly

totally agree with this point. In reality Gini has been there pretty much every fuckin week.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 11:06 AM   #1229
Paul12
Benitez

We have been dependent on Gini's fitness and defensive strengths this season (although not his offensive stuff) but we need to get used to this if we are to renew our team...ie every season one or two first teamers becoming squad players and a third leaving completely. Gini is leaving; one of the strikers will become more of a squad player and one other player too, maybe because of fitness as much as anything (Hendo or Joe?)

But it does mean players coming in too.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 11:08 AM   #1230
calvoboy
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Yeah if I was him Id want my future sorting before the Euros. Waiting to see whos in charge at Barca no doubt
Bayern Munich are favourites to sign him now, according to the bookies.
calvoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 11:10 AM   #1231
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvoboy View Post
Bayern Munich are favourites to sign him now, according to the bookies.
Read also PSG very interested... sounds like he'll have a choice to make!
Good luck to him.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 11:25 AM   #1232
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
that's fair enough both were good up until Decemeber, after that it has been pretty much car crash stuff. Gini coasting anonymous in games and Robbo just exhausted and his crossing and passing went off a cliff. So yeah for the second half of the season it is fair to say both have been pretty shit. Also lets call a spade a spade you are just about as biased as it gets when it comes to Robbo

I am a huge fan of both Robbo and Gini but unfortunately when you set certain standards, you are judged by those it comes with the territory. I would argue Robbo has been one of/if not the best left back in the world the last few years. Robbo did start off well looke so sharp and then just tailed off, over played and just a huge drop off in his passing and crossing. Never knock his effort and the positions he gets in. I don't worry about him at all, he has simply been over played & Gini's head has been elsewhere. The problem we have in the last 5 months or so is that we didn't have quality replacements to bench them. We cannot put ourselves in that position again if we want to win the league.

I'm glad this season is over, it really has been a messed up year and an exhausting one as a fan. Champs league spot done and dusted so delighted about that.

He’s not been the world class attacking threat he was for two seasons, he’s just been performing mainly a standard left back. That’s as far as I’m prepared to go

It was noticeable that Sadio playing well for once opened up space for Robbo again yesterday.
Old 24-05-21, 11:29 AM   #1233
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
Soz for the self-indulgent shite but Gini sorted my dad and me tickets for Kiev when he heard we missed out in the ballot, a photo from that night is now pride of place on the mantlepiece. A few words and that photo is towards the bottom of this piece released today. https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-foo....MPLuxN18AnHQ3U
That link isn't working for me?
Old 24-05-21, 11:31 AM   #1234
danperkins

Quote:

Hes not been the world class attacking threat he was for two seasons, hes just been performing mainly a standard left back. Thats as far as Im prepared to go

It was noticeable that Sadio playing well for once opened up space for Robbo again yesterday.

Robbo & Mane imo are two of the best pairings on any part of the pitch, in any football side, utterly relentless. Unfortunately this year has seen a drop off in both. Next season imo they'll be back to their world class best. It's been a truly fucked up season and an even more fucked up year in the world. As the world renowned philanthropists and innovators D-Ream say.... "Things can only get better".
Old 24-05-21, 11:43 AM   #1235
Rigadon
Shankly

With everyone fit, Gini is probably fourth choice midfielder (Fabinho, Henderson Thiago). We also need younger, fresher midfielders to maintain our normal high intensity game. And we need something different.

An upgrade to Firmino would also help our cause.

I know it's harsh on Gini, but we can't criticise the club for not keeping players (like Gini) and then criticise Klopp for not refreshing the squad. We're not City. We have constraints with wages.
Old 24-05-21, 11:55 AM   #1236
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
With everyone fit, Gini is probably fourth choice midfielder (Fabinho, Henderson Thiago). We also need younger, fresher midfielders to maintain our normal high intensity game. And we need something different.

I know it's harsh on Gini, but we can't criticise the club for not keeping players (like Gini) and then criticise Klopp for not refreshing the squad. We're not City. We have constraints with wages.
When the option is available to us IMO we are rotating our midfield and if everyone were fit all season I suspect those 4 (Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Thiago) would all have ended up playing very similar numbers of games. Taking into account average injury records, Gini probably plays the most.

If we are talking about evolving the squad the natural thing to do IMO is replace the guys who don't play regularly first, so IMO the likes of Shaq, Keita and Ox would have been ahead of him in the queue for the door. bUt obviously things don't always work like that...
Old 24-05-21, 12:02 PM   #1237
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post

Theres an argument that hed be higher on the list than 4th, but even at that, how often was everyone fit this season? Without looking up the stats hes surely played the most games of any midfielder this season (definitely the most games in a midfield position). So I dont think it matters if hes 4th choice, if hes regularly in the first 3 choices to start.

Also more importantly the 5th, 6th and 7th choice midfielders (Milner, naby, ox) are all earning considerably more than him. If its due to wages constraints (and only a matter of money for gini), Id rather sell naby/ox for whatever little amount we can get for them and with their freed up wages, give gini what he wants.
Old 24-05-21, 12:05 PM   #1238
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
When the option is available to us IMO we are rotating our midfield and if everyone were fit all season I suspect those 4 (Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Thiago) would all have ended up playing very similar numbers of games. Taking into account average injury records, Gini probably plays the most.

If we are talking about evolving the squad the natural thing to do IMO is replace the guys who don't play regularly first, so IMO the likes of Shaq, Keita and Ox would have been ahead of him in the queue for the door. bUt obviously things don't always work like that...
Fair points. But we need to take into consideration age (of Henderson, Thiago and Gini). Henderson and Gini have worked their socks off for the last five years under Klopp. It's not sustainable (see Henderson).

One other thing, Gini hasn't been particularly good this season.
Old 24-05-21, 01:07 PM   #1239
Tribute
Shankly

CBs aside, an ageing midfield is where we need to strengthen and not just because of age, because of goal scoring. We need the midfield to chip in with more goals each season to take the burden off the front three every game. Someone who has goal scoring ability like Ox but with a better availability record.

Gini, whilst reliable, was not a goal scoring threat this season and combined with his age and salary/contract length requirements means it's just not feasible. Even getting shot of Naby, Shaq, Ox doesn't make midfield any more robust or goal-worthy... it needs freshening up considering we have Hendo (31) Thiago (30) and Fab (27)... current back ups are either injury-prone, a bit young/inexperienced (Jones, Elliot) or older (Milner)

Front three now has Diogo as back up, but we need some spark in the middle to be able to come in and do a good job on deep lying teams. An Ox-type player or a Harvey Elliot with Premier League/senior experience, if you will...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 01:20 PM   #1240
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Jones is absolutely ready to step up to a more consistent role.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC