It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 10-04-21, 08:24 PM   #681
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Definitely, a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago would take some beating.
Old 10-04-21, 08:31 PM   #682
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Definitely, a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago would take some beating.
Not enough goal threat imo. It's all a bit passive. Yeah hendo will try and force it but I just don't see that 3 and their ages being the dream ticket. We've been out fought and out paced this season. We need some more speed of foot and shooting ability or it'll fall on the front 3 to get all the goals again.
Old 10-04-21, 08:32 PM   #683
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Not enough goal threat imo. It's all a bit passive. Yeah hendo will try and force it but I just don't see that 3 and their ages being the dream ticket. We've been out fought and out paced this season. We need some more speed of foot and shooting ability or it'll fall on the front 3 to get all the goals again.
Cool, we'll play Naby then.
Old 10-04-21, 08:37 PM   #684
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Cool, we'll play Naby then.
It's my opinion. I'm right. You know it deep down. Embrace. Relax. Chill.
Old 10-04-21, 08:38 PM   #685
Fredo

Quote:
It's my opinion. I'm right. You know it deep down. Embrace. Relax. Chill.
Old 10-04-21, 09:36 PM   #686
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...from memory, Molby didnít move AT ALL either
Fixed ;o)

But what a player Jan was
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 09:38 PM   #687
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I'd like to see a leggy, strong midfielder come in, someone similar to Vieira when he was at Arsenal. We need someone who can stride through the middle of park, that can pass and shoot.

Anyone similar that's available?

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 09:53 PM   #688
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
I'd like to see a leggy, strong midfielder come in, someone similar to Vieira when he was at Arsenal. We need someone who can stride through the middle of park, that can pass and shoot.

Marko Grujic.
Old 10-04-21, 09:53 PM   #689
SB
Paisley

Quote:

Yeah that Marko Grujic fella fits the bill
Old 10-04-21, 10:25 PM   #690
Jas
Fagan

Quote:
To be honest that is the point I was trying to make, definitely think we need a bit more dynamism in the middle of the park.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 10:44 PM   #691
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Denis Zakaria.

6'2, decent pace, strong, good passer, good tackler, good reader of the game, good dribbler, primarily a DM that can also play as a CM or at CB but gets up and down the pitch regardless of what position he starts in. Plus has been linked to us.

Be good cover/competition for Fabinho and Henderson plus at 24 one that could be with us for years.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 11:39 PM   #692
dom9
Ant Pisser

Does he play for Arab Strap?
Old 11-04-21, 02:37 AM   #693
banditos
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:

Fabinho?
banditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 03:19 PM   #694
Catrin
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Yeah that Marko Grujic fella fits the bill
I still think he hasnít been given a proper chance.
Old 11-04-21, 04:13 PM   #695
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
Agree. He has everything we need, and will bring more than keita, oxlade, etc.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 04:24 PM   #696
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
this
Old 12-04-21, 05:21 AM   #697
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Agree. He has everything we need, and will bring more than keita, oxlade, etc.
Iíve often thought he could play as a CB too if given time in training to work on it. I guess weíll never know
Old 12-04-21, 07:17 AM   #698
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
I think at varying points we have tried to bring people in with more of a goal threat: Naby, Ox and we almost signed Fekir, but none of them have ever worked out. I have often wondered why we haven't played Wijnaldum in that role more often, as he carries a goal threat in that role at international level, but the role that he plays for us 95% of the time doesn't seem to allow that. With him leaving in the summer it would seem a bit late now...
Old 12-04-21, 11:17 AM   #699
Angryred
Dalglish

I think Grujic has been a victim of Klopp/Buvac breakdown as Grujic was recommended by Buvac so Klopp probably doesn't want a reminder of Buvac around him
Old 13-04-21, 02:39 AM   #700
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
I think Grujic has been a victim of Klopp/Buvac breakdown as Grujic was recommended by Buvac so Klopp probably doesn't want a reminder of Buvac around him
I doubt Klopp could ever be compared to a jilted lover.
Old 14-04-21, 08:41 AM   #701
Tribute
Shankly

Said it for a few years now, but our midfield, even when it was purring, wasn't really a goal threat. Other teams have goal scoring midfielders who chip in with decent numbers every year - we don't and haven't for years. Our front three pick up the goal tally and our midfielders seem to be just there to protect the defence, win the ball back and set them up. Very few long rangers from our midfielders... and it's usually a one a season worldie... as per Hendo vs. Chavs, Fab and Ox vs. Citeh... sad really as I'd love another Souness, Barnes, Gerrard... proper goal scoring midfielder.

We need a Viera, Grealish, Penandes, De Bruyne type who can stick one in from 30 yards when required. Our lot seem to find Row Z more often than not. Milner is the worst offender as he offers his 'grasscutter' and it's always well wide. Only good from 12 yards it seems.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 09:17 AM   #702
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Said it for a few years now, but our midfield, even when it was purring, wasn't really a goal threat. Other teams have goal scoring midfielders who chip in with decent numbers every year - we don't and haven't for years. Our front three pick up the goal tally and our midfielders seem to be just there to protect the defence, win the ball back and set them up. Very few long rangers from our midfielders... and it's usually a one a season worldie... as per Hendo vs. Chavs, Fab and Ox vs. Citeh... sad really as I'd love another Souness, Barnes, Gerrard... proper goal scoring midfielder.

We need a Viera, Grealish, Penandes, De Bruyne type who can stick one in from 30 yards when required. Our lot seem to find Row Z more often than not. Milner is the worst offender as he offers his 'grasscutter' and it's always well wide. Only good from 12 yards it seems.
Yep, it feels like forever since we scored a goal from outside the box. Those types of goals have been a rarity for us in general since Coutinho left.

Same argument for goals from set pieces and corners since Virgil/Matip got injured. Feels like we have zero goal threat from those too.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 09:30 AM   #703
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Yep, it feels like forever since we scored a goal from outside the box. Those types of goals have been a rarity for us in general since Coutinho left.

Same argument for goals from set pieces and corners since Virgil/Matip got injured. Feels like we have zero goal threat from those too.
Wasn't Trent's goal at the weekend from outside the box? (was at least on the line so was close)
Old 14-04-21, 09:56 AM   #704
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Yeah true, in mind it was from the edge of the box. He's actually one of the players I think could score more from outside the box, but he's not often over on the left and able to cut back in on his right foot like that. It's not so easy for him to do from the right side of the pitch.

In fact across the whole league it feels like there aren't as many long range goals as there where a few years ago? Or is that just my perception?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 09:59 AM   #705
Fivex
The Wisp

I thought the same recently.

Gerrard and Lampard led the way there.
Old 14-04-21, 10:10 AM   #706
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I think we're capable of scoring some long rangers but you never see our midfielders twat the ball at all, with any conviction anyway.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 10:11 AM   #707
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Lampard was more a late run into the box finisher. Scholes was the man for a shot from distance.

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 10:53 AM   #708
banditos
Rocket Surgeon

Fab scored a couple belters from well outside the box last season. Take him out of midfield and agree, very little threat fro distance.
banditos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 10:56 AM   #709
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

You’d expect Thiago to have a good shot on him but he normally looks for the pass
Peter_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 11:22 AM   #710
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

There does seem to be a trend to almost walk it into the net at times. Not just by us by every team. I wonder why?

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 11:26 AM   #711
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
There does seem to be a trend to almost walk it into the net at times. Not just by us by every team. I wonder why?

YNWA
If I'm facing Pickford or Schmeichel I'm having a pop early doors from 25 yards to sting his hands... see if he's up for it or not. That was always the way my footballing coach told us to play...

Might be too old school for these tika-taka passing teams today, but a good thunderbolt straight at the keeper in the first 5 mins tends to wake up the whole team...

I'd tell Fab to let rip from 30 yards at the first opportunity, imagine what a bolt from the blue goal would do for confidence early doors tonight.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 05:47 PM   #712
kubrickscube
Fagan

We miss the sheer number of outside the box goals Coutinho gave us.
kubrickscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 06:17 PM   #713
BG1973
Fagan

Think his stunning long range ability was replaced with goals from elsewhere though.

We do miss his free kicks though. We're pretty shite in that dept now.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 06:46 PM   #714
Frog83
Lurker

When was the last goal we scored from a free kick? and by scored I'm referring to the free kick taker not via head/foot of another player.

We definitely seem piss poor in that department. Trent appears to be the main man for free kicks but I'm not sure he's any good. Would prefer to let someone like Shaqiri/Thiago/Jota have a go instead.
Frog83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 08:33 AM   #715
Myo
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrickscube View Post
We miss the sheer number of outside the box goals Coutinho gave us.

Myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 08:37 AM   #716
Exiled_red
Paisley

It seems quite telling that Thiago didn't start either of the quarter final games, you would think that these are the type of games that we would have expected him to shine in.
Old 15-04-21, 08:53 AM   #717
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Yeah was talking about this earlier. Two of the biggest games of the seasons and he is on the bench & when he does come on, much like this season... he has little or no effect.
Old 15-04-21, 09:49 AM   #718
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He definitely gets away with more average games than anyone else.

I’d like to see Ox given a run, and more than one game because he looks to make things happen and more importantly looks to take a shot on. It must be very frustrating to be watching am I creative midfield when you know you could contribute.

But he needs more than ten minutes and then being written off as shit.
Old 15-04-21, 10:17 AM   #719
Pepe79
Shankly

Is Ox even physically capable of a run of games? Even last season he always needed subbed off around the hour mark and he’s had another knee injury since then.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 11:25 AM   #720
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Is Ox even physically capable of a run of games? Even last season he always needed subbed off around the hour mark and heís had another knee injury since then.
No idea, I hope so. It would be great to see if he could contribute a bit more, just because he has some unique attributes and scored, I think 8 times last season. I thought he looked lively last night. I think he is so starved of playing time that he perhaps looks to force things too much when he does get on. Giving him a start would be a vote of confidence.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC