It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 31-10-20, 10:04 PM   #1
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

Nat Phillips

MOTM on PL debut! Seems like a great lad, not to shabby of a CB either. Worth a watch.

Last edited by kingfunk; 31-10-20 at 10:08 PM.
kingfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 31-10-20, 10:05 PM   #2
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

Lovely stuff from Natalie
Peter_Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 10:26 PM   #3
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I remember watching that vid, he seems a lovely lad. Tbh I didn't think he had that performance in him tonight - he didn't get rave reviews in Germany and wasn't always in the side. Does the basic stuff well, or at least he did tonight. Well done lad.
Old 31-10-20, 10:31 PM   #4
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

He gave a lovely interview after the game, saying that he dreamt of that day still he was a kid, and also making his family proud. He seems a very nice fella.
Old 31-10-20, 10:33 PM   #5
labourRed
Shankly

Yeah. Hopefully we get £7m from the likes of Derby when the time comes.

He did very well today though.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 10:43 PM   #6
Cormack74
Shankly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54764456

If everything had gone as originally planned, Nathaniel Phillips wouldn't even have been at Anfield this season, let alone starting a Premier League game against West Ham.

It was assumed the defender would likely have been plying his trade in the Championship in 2020-21, or back in Germany, where he spent a successful loan spell with Stuttgart last campaign.

But the lack of a willing suitor, coupled with a Reds defensive crisis, means the 23-year-old has instead been thrust straight into the deep end of a top-flight title defence.

On the evidence of his performance in Saturday's 2-1 win against West Ham, he looks far more likely to swim than sink.

"It has been a bit of a strange one lately because it looked like I was going out of the club in the [transfer] window, there was a lot of interest," Phillips told Match of the Day.

"It didn't come through in the end and I am happy it didn't because I got my opportunity here with the injuries."

Phillips stepped into the centre of defence and did not look out of place, handling West Ham striker Sebastien Haller well and making more clearances (nine) and more interceptions (two) than any other Liverpool player.

In the final seconds of the game he made a brilliant clearing header from a West Ham delivery to avoid any late drama and help ensure Liverpool took the three points.

Only Diogo Jota and Xherdan Shaqiri were given higher ratings than Phillips (7.14) by BBC Sport readers, while Sky Sports pundit and former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher named him man of the match.

"It is a huge compliment, especially coming from him. He is a Liverpool legend," Phillips added.

"This is something I've dreamed of growing up. It was huge for me and my family."

Phillips' Premier League debut against the Hammers clearly had an element of fortune about it, with injuries to Virgil van Dijk, Joel Matip and Fabinho clearing his path to the first team.

But it still marks quite the about-turn for a player who was so out of the picture at Anfield he was not even included in the club's Champions League squad for this campaign.

A number of Championship and Bundesliga clubs were reportedly interested, including Middlesbrough, Bristol City, Schalke and Werder Bremen, but a move failed to materialise.

Dejan Lovren's summer departure, the defensive injury crisis and clearly the impression he has made in training has taken care of the rest.

"He is a brilliant guy, smart guy, intelligent - everything," Klopp said after the game.

"I was not easy on the eye, he is not easy on the eye, both messy, but who cares? In the air he is a monster, loves having challenges on the pitch and today he was incredible.

"Twelve Championship teams wanted him in the summer, I was fine with him to go but it didn't work out for whatever reason and tonight he was spot on.

Born in Bolton, Nathaniel is the son of Jimmy Phillips, who had two spells as a player at Bolton Wanderers.

He arrived at Liverpool just before the start of the 2016-17 season following a successful trial with the club's academy, having previously come through the Bolton academy.

He was also offered a scholarship to play in the United States at the University of North Carolina but turned that down to sign for the Reds instead.

Three seasons of reserve team games followed before the club felt he was ready for first-team football via a loan spell in Germany with Stuttgart, then in the second tier.

However, in something of a precursor to the current situation at Anfield, defensive injuries for the Reds would prompt his brief recall from Germany in January 2020 and an appearance in the 1-0 FA Cup third-round win over Everton, before a return to Stuttgart.

He made 19 league appearances in total for Stuttgart last season, in which they kept six clean sheets.

Having looked at one stage to be heading out of the Anfield door, Phillips is now relishing the chance to develop his career at Liverpool.

"I really enjoyed the game," he said. "It was a tough battle, a lot of aerial battles, but that's my strength so I enjoyed that side of it.

"I've just been concentrating on this weekend up until now, but if the opportunity does arise again I've got to make sure I'm ready for that."
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 10:48 PM   #7
SB
Paisley

Superb debut for the young lad & hopefully he can stay fit & offer cover when needed.
Old 31-10-20, 11:14 PM   #8
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

That last minute header was in the exact same spot we allowed Keane a free header in the derby. Even when Fab and Matip are fit again, Nat might be useful for certain games.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 11:16 PM   #9
rodo
Shankly

he had a good game like but there is a lot on social media getting carried away think he would get found out very quickly against top quality opposition
Old 01-11-20, 12:04 AM   #10
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Really liked how Jurgen referenced how intelligent he is. Good sign
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 12:34 AM   #11
kubrickscube
Fagan

Whenever I’ve seen him he’s always looked consistently solid. Not as fast as Gomez, not as elegant as Matip, but solid and dependable. Doesn’t take risks, not as gung ho as lovren , glad he’s had his opportunity
kubrickscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 01:01 AM   #12
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrickscube View Post
Whenever Iíve seen him heís always looked consistently solid. Not as fast as Gomez, not as elegant as Matip, but solid and dependable. Doesnít take risks, not as gung ho as lovren , glad heís had his opportunity
I've not seen much of him but he's served a good apprenticeship and if he can stay fit he will be more than worthy of a place as gomez and matip are rice crackers.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 01:08 AM   #13
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

Del

Last edited by kingfunk; 01-11-20 at 08:14 AM.
kingfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 07:50 AM   #14
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Whenever Iíve seen him heís always looked consistently solid. Not as fast as Gomez, not as elegant as Matip, but solid and dependable. Doesnít take risks, not as gung ho as lovren , glad heís had his opportunity
Yip agree with this.

He's a bit like a good version of Harry Maguire
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 07:58 AM   #15
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Seemingly if someone had made an offer for him he'd have been gone in the summer, so nice to see him get a chance in the PL and put in a good (MOTM) performance, but despite this I would be surprised if he was still here arter the summer.
Old 01-11-20, 07:59 AM   #16
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Yip agree with this.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 01-11-20 at 09:06 AM.
Exiled_red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 08:38 AM   #17
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Donít think we should get over excited. Turns out West Ham totally played to his strengths.

Pump it high and long, one up front.

Mind you he did super well and is clearly a great header of the ball.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 09:16 AM   #18
RedReet

So is it too much to expect an Alonso season after nearly being offloaded by the club?
Old 01-11-20, 09:19 AM   #19
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Donít think we should get over excited. Turns out West Ham totally played to his strengths.

Pump it high and long, one up front.

Mind you he did super well and is clearly a great header of the ball.
And Haller looks a shadow of the player at Frankfurt so it was easy for him. He was fairly solid and if he can stay fit then fairly solid will do until Christmas
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 11:02 AM   #20
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

I bet we don't see him much again.

Can't play in champions league and fab will be back soon along with matip. City will turn him inside out.

Could be useful against the likes of Burnley.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-11-20, 11:02 AM   #21
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Yip agree with this.

Old 01-11-20, 12:07 PM   #22
The_weatherman
Smug

Impressed by him and good to be able to put him against those teams, Williams can also step in so maybe this allows us to play Fabinho more in midfield. When Virgil is back, we've either had a fourth choice centre half step up for free, or we an sell them both for a few million.
Old 01-11-20, 12:10 PM   #23
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
I bet we don't see him much again.

Can't play in champions league and fab will be back soon along with matip. City will turn him inside out.

Could be useful against the likes of Burnley.
Old 01-11-20, 01:04 PM   #24
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Yip agree with this.

Yeah, he is very Maguiresque.

As Klopp said yesterday he (Phillips) is like Klopp as a player. Not much to look at but very effective.
Old 01-11-20, 02:48 PM   #25
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Yip agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
Impressed by him and good to be able to put him against those teams, Williams can also step in so maybe this allows us to play Fabinho more in midfield. When Virgil is back, we've either had a fourth choice centre half step up for free, or we an sell them both for a few million.
How much did Maguire go for again
Old 01-11-20, 04:18 PM   #26
vlahka
Still sulking...

Considering the amount of mistakes Gomez has had each match, I'd be more than happy if Phillips took his spot for a while. I can honestly see him improving under Klopp and taking a first team place next to VVD.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 04:32 PM   #27
Corndog
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlahka View Post
Considering the amount of mistakes Gomez has had each match, I'd be more than happy if Phillips took his spot for a while. I can honestly see him improving under Klopp and taking a first team place next to VVD.
after one game.....he played well but it's a bit much to be claiming he's better than gomez already.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 04:43 PM   #28
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
after one game.....he played well but it's a bit much to be claiming he's better than gomez already.
1 game maybe, but did you see that header?

Bar forming one of the best defences in Europe, winning champions league, winning Premier league breaking club records, winning world club cup, becoming an England International and being 3 months younger than Phillips, what has Joe ever done?

Only one game...

Last edited by RedReet; 01-11-20 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 07:36 PM   #29
vlahka
Still sulking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
1 game maybe, but did you see that header?

Bar forming one of the best defences in Europe, winning champions league, winning Premier league breaking club records, winning world club cup, becoming an England International and being 3 months younger than Phillips, what has Joe ever done?

Only one game...
Well, he did head the ball to the opposition who scored. You're acting like Phillips has never played before and this is his first game too. Gomez is good, but he does have his issues. How many people actually feel comfortable 100% with him as second defender? I mean VVD takes on quite a bit himself. One thing Gomez cant do is defend high balls. Thats a fact. You're telling me if you had the chance to upgrade him you wouldnt take it? And if Phillips suddenly started pulling out better performances, you'd still ignore it?

One game. Mentioning titles won isnt a thing. Lovren won a bunch with us too. But then again Gomez is 3 months younger. Clearly hes head and shoulders above.
Old 01-11-20, 07:37 PM   #30
vlahka
Still sulking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
Didn't say hes better. Said he can improve. And since Gomez has been a little shakey then its only logical he sit on the sidelines IF Phillips continues like this in the next few games. I dont see how thats something to ridicule for being said.
Old 01-11-20, 07:51 PM   #31
Cormack74
Shankly

I thought NP looked pretty quick for a big unit.

He went past TAA when chasing back at one point, even though Trent started with several yards on him.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 08:36 PM   #32
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlahka View Post
Well, he did head the ball to the opposition who scored. You're acting like Phillips has never played before and this is his first game too. Gomez is good, but he does have his issues. How many people actually feel comfortable 100% with him as second defender? I mean VVD takes on quite a bit himself. One thing Gomez cant do is defend high balls. Thats a fact. You're telling me if you had the chance to upgrade him you wouldnt take it? And if Phillips suddenly started pulling out better performances, you'd still ignore it?

One game. Mentioning titles won isnt a thing. Lovren won a bunch with us too. But then again Gomez is 3 months younger. Clearly hes head and shoulders above.
Not blaming Phillips, but if you look at the goal again, Phillips was a bit of a headless chicken during the move, wasn't sure what position to take and mistimed a jump to clear the ball, impeding Gomez view.

If Phillips was a better option than Gomez, I'd have no hesitation picking him ahead of him, but I can't make that judgement based on one game.

Gomez biggest issue for me is staying fit. When fit, he's an excellent player and played a key role in many of our best defensive runs.

And the fact that he's 3 months younger is significant IMO. Unlike an 18 year old just breaking through, there was no reason not to pick Phillips ahead of Gomez in the past, other than ability. Both players have the potential to improve massively, but again IMO Gomez has a much better platform to build from and a much higher ceiling.
Old 01-11-20, 09:18 PM   #33
baitman
Daddy day care

Nat, Yeh one game, etc...
If he gets a run then surely he will settle in as he learns the movement of other players, he will surely improve.
If he can be more robust than gomez or matip then he will be a certain starter.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
Old 30-11-20, 07:57 PM   #34
Charly
Dalglish

Think he is a better option than Williams.

Thought he has played quite well so far... No worse that Lovren.
Old 30-11-20, 08:47 PM   #35
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Think he is a better option than Williams.

Thought he has played quite well so far... No worse that Lovren.
Saw someone say he was Harry Maguire without the hype - personally I think heís better

Watch Edwards sell him for 20m in the summer now
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 01:27 PM   #36
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

He's old school and not good enough for us - but happy to see him perform for us during this difficult period.

Old 01-12-20, 01:36 PM   #37
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He's old school and not good enough for us - but happy to see him perform for us during this difficult period.
He's been great these two games but you get the impression he's performing out of his skin and there's a big fuck off howler dying to come out.

Couple of times at Brighton I held my breath thinking he was about to give a penalty away. His aerial presence is a massive plus though, given how our team has shrunk exponentially recently.
Old 01-12-20, 02:38 PM   #38
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
He's been great these two games but you get the impression he's performing out of his skin and there's a big fuck off howler dying to come out.

Couple of times at Brighton I held my breath thinking he was about to give a penalty away. His aerial presence is a massive plus though, given how our team has shrunk exponentially recently.
He loves a good leap he does. Wouldn't fancy him in a foot race and his passing is "safe" which is perfectly fine when we're in the shit with injuries but he ain't ever going to be near the 1st team in a usual season. Good luck to him though, I'd be over the moon in his boots.

Old 01-12-20, 04:27 PM   #39
Scratch
If you fail once....

Adding a few million to his transfer value and getting some good, top level, experience to see him through. If he could maybe grab a goal from a corner, then that's a tale he can tell his grandkids one day!
Old 02-12-20, 03:35 PM   #40
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Adding a few million to his transfer value and getting some good, top level, experience to see him through. If he could maybe grab a goal from a corner, then that's a tale he can tell his grandkids one day!
Even when we have all the A team back we will always need decent back up, especially given the biscuit content of gomez and matip.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC