It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 01-06-12, 11:33 AM   #121
BootRoom
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Really? Im sure Ayre said there would be no DOF, but more of a team structure around Rodgers. No?
Ayre said there would be a "continental" model, but Brendan implied that the new team of technical people - a technical board, would be at least at the same level as him, or even he would be the head of it. That's how it came across to me, and in my opinion is significantly different to what I broadly understand the "continental model to be" where the Manager has far less influence. Maybe they are playing with words, but I can't see there being much difference between having a single person (DoF) above the Manager, or a "technical board" above the Manager - either way the Manager has diminished responsibility so if Brendan is refusing to work under a DoF it's logical to conclude that he'd refuse to work under a technical board performing essentially the same function except with more people.
BootRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-06-12, 11:33 AM   #122
red g
Paisley

Mods, Can we take the Poll away from this thread

not a very nice welcome when no bugger wanted him

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:37 AM   #123
ashey
Benitez

Very impressive. Came across as decisive, knowledgeable, respectful, ambitious and humble.
Really hope he does well.
YNWA Buck!
ashey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:37 AM   #124
Reece

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post

What do you mean?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:38 AM   #125
Alex
Administrator

Quote:

Id say it was pretty unanimous mate.
Old 01-06-12, 11:39 AM   #126
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj View Post
It's just my opinion really. He's not suited to playing on the right wing, no way which he has done over the last year for the reserves. I think he needs to be moved back to midfield but not the "hole". I would say slightly deeper as he is an amazing passer. He could be like Joe Allen or like Alonso alongside Lucas. I hope he gets a few opportunities next season - he is stilll very young and I think he could be a first team regular in a couple of years.
I don't know mate. Reading that article where Rodgers laid out his philosophy, and explained the types of players he saw in each role, he said the defensive midfielder had to be:

* Extremely comfourtable in possession, especially under pressure
* A good passer of the ball
* Good defensively

The other two central midfielders:

* Box to box midfielders with the stamina to get up and down the pitch
* Hard working to create 'triangles' with other players
* Good passers of the ball

So he doesn't really play with a Alonso-esq deep lying playmaker. It's more Lucas-esq, in that the player should be more mobile and better defensively. Basically, Busquets is the template. Suso doesn't really fit into either category, so he'd have to adapt his game somewhat in my opinion.

I think Sterling could make it as a wide player in his system though, as he pretty much matches what what Rodgers sets out word for word (or at least, potentially he does).
Old 01-06-12, 11:39 AM   #127
cream
Paisley

This feels really good. I'm excited about the future.
Old 01-06-12, 11:40 AM   #128
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
What do you mean?

Some knowledgable fans though:

alfredolumbago, bacon, Barnie7, BobTheCharmer, Cerbie, Chiccada, Cleo, danperkins, Darkon, Fierce, joxers25, Kinell, kopster, MrsB, paulc, red g, RoadEnd, Robbie-fowler999, Slinky Skills, Tib, Wiresnreds, YNWA_IRE
Old 01-06-12, 11:41 AM   #129
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootRoom View Post
Ayre said there would be a "continental" model, but Brendan implied that the new team of technical people - a technical board, would be at least at the same level as him, or even he would be the head of it. That's how it came across to me, and in my opinion is significantly different to what I broadly understand the "continental model to be" where the Manager has far less influence. Maybe they are playing with words, but I can't see there being much difference between having a single person (DoF) above the Manager, or a "technical board" above the Manager - either way the Manager has diminished responsibility so if Brendan is refusing to work under a DoF it's logical to conclude that he'd refuse to work under a technical board performing essentially the same function except with more people.

Thats what I understood from the Press Conference comments

Yet when you look at the statement from FSG it appears they want the continental model & structure in place

At best it creates a state of ambiguity at worse Brendans view is completely contrary to what FSG's view is
Old 01-06-12, 11:41 AM   #130
Darkon
Football Expert

Quote:

It really should be removed, but I can't see a way to do it. Will have to check with someone with more powers.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:42 AM   #131
saj
No sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris90210 View Post
I don't know mate. Reading that article where Rodgers laid out his philosophy, and explained the types of players he saw in each role, he said the defensive midfielder had to be:

* Good defensively

So he doesn't really play with a Alonso-esq deep lying playmaker. It's more Lucas-esq, in that the player should be more mobile and better defensively. Basically, Busquets is the template. Suso doesn't really fit into either category, so he'd have to adapt his game somewhat in my opinion.

I think Sterling could make it as a wide player in his system though, as he pretty much matches what what Rodgers sets out word for word (or at least, potentially he does).
Suso definitely more than meets most the bullet points above! Defensively he has definitely started to get stuck in more but I highly doubt he will ever be as good a tackler as Lucas or Alonso. I agree with your Lucas comment though.
Old 01-06-12, 11:43 AM   #132
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:

* Good defensively

Sterling could play the same role as someone like Nathan Dyer imo
Old 01-06-12, 11:46 AM   #133
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Quote:
I guess. Something about the way he said it made me think he'll want to bring a player or two from there.
Fair enough.. There is only really Allen and Vorm I'd take from them and that'd depend on Pepe.
Old 01-06-12, 11:46 AM   #134
yamiedo
Dalglish

Quote:
It turns out his nickname is Buck - true story.

I really believe Suso will now finally get a chance. If anyone has been listening to some of Bucks opinions of systems and players, Suso fits in perfectly more so than Raheem Sterling
I'd draft him in straight away. Get him started early and he could develop into our own Xavi.
yamiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:47 AM   #135
Reece

Haha it's like Arn never left
Old 01-06-12, 11:47 AM   #136
Mattimetal
Houllier

After reading about his football philosophies thanks to all the links posted this past week I've started to get excited about our new manager.
Watched his press conference in full at work (and still watching now) The man came across superbly well, and it was a shock to see him correct Ian Ayre - who looks like a rabbit in the headlights, and I think is still out of his depth in his current position within the club - about the DOF situation. Where was Henry today, I would have thought he'd have been there?

Anyway looking forward to seeing Brendan stamp his authority and tactics on our club and I'm pretty sure we'll be okay from now on.

Welcome Brendan and best of luck

Your too good to be true, can't take the ball off you you got a heavenly touch, you pass like Sounness to rush. And when we're pissed in the bars we thank the Lord that your ours
Mattimetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:47 AM   #137
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler View Post
Fair enough.. There is only really Allen and Vorm I'd take from them and that'd depend on Pepe.
Pepe is perfect for Rodgers. He loves playing the sweeper keeper role. I remember apart from the last 2 years he was always bombing out to clear the ball.
Old 01-06-12, 11:47 AM   #138
fred_plasticine
Benitez

"I work best around a group of people. It's about a group of people when you come to a big club, you can't do it on your own.

"Of course there has to be leadership but, for me, if it was a sporting director or director of football, that was something I made quite clear that I couldn't work with.

"What you need at a football club is an outstanding recruitment team, an outstanding medical team, sports science team, player liaison. These are all people that will come into the group and then we will form as a football club a technical board, as most clubs do. There will be four or five people around that group who will decide the way forward."

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre claims the club were happy to meet Rodgers' demands.

He said: "The structure really is to - Brendan is aware of this and it was part of that process of finding the person that fits - is a more continental director of football type structure, where you have got a collaborative group of people working around the football area.

"We don't envisage at this point of time having a director of football per se, but having a group of people who will work collaboratively with Brendan to deliver the football side of it."

source skysports
fred_plasticine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:47 AM   #139
red g
Paisley

Quote:
What do you mean?
the poll at the top who you want for the next liverpool manager....

Old 01-06-12, 11:48 AM   #140
yamiedo
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post

Sterling could play the same role as someone like Nathan Dyer imo
Sterling would be perfect in time. Obviously its a different level but we saw in that reserve game against Southend what damage he can do cutting inside. Most of his 5 goals were scored from coming inside and finishing in style. In Rodgers system the wing backs provide the natural width and the likes of Dyer and Sinclair cut inside and cause havoc, playing more like inside-forwards. Sterling looks very capable of doing this.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-06-12, 11:49 AM   #141
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Love the results now!

JURGEN KLOPP - LIVERPOOL MANAGER

YNWA
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:49 AM   #142
red g
Paisley

Am hoping to get a good inside track over the weekend on Brendan Rodgers a mate of mine is good friends with one of the Swansea players. hoipefully can find out some info

ok, its not Jenkins but i try

Old 01-06-12, 11:50 AM   #143
red g
Paisley

Quote:
What do you mean?
should have looked before i commented.

Great work, you should be looking for a promotion under the new structure

Old 01-06-12, 11:51 AM   #144
yamiedo
Dalglish

Quote:
Haha it's like Arn never left
Old 01-06-12, 11:52 AM   #145
Reece

Quote:
should have looked before i commented.

Great work, you should be looking for a promotion under the new structure
I've already been appointed Director of Polls
Old 01-06-12, 11:52 AM   #146
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattimetal View Post
Watched his press conference in full at work (and still watching now)
Can you link me up please?
Old 01-06-12, 11:53 AM   #147
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Old 01-06-12, 11:54 AM   #148
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Suso definitely more than meets most the bullet points above! Defensively he has definitely started to get stuck in more but I highly doubt he will ever be as good a tackler as Lucas or Alonso. I agree with your Lucas comment though.
From what he said in that article, the defensive midfielder is pretty much the most important position in the whole team. That player is the heartbeat. If we have someone who is weak defensively, the system falls down. Will Suso ever be good enough defensively? Hopefully, but it's definitely an area he'll have to work on. Will he develop his stamina so that he can become an effective box to box player? That's more likely in my opinion.

Agree with Lec on the Dyer comparison with Sterling. He's far more likely to slot into Rodgers' system.

By the way, I reckon Hamann would have been a dream player in the system Rodgers plays. Would be perfect.
Old 01-06-12, 11:55 AM   #149
yamiedo
Dalglish

Can't wait to watch this when I get home. Damn, this is an exciting time for LFC! If this works as well as it does in theory then we will be back amongst the elite where we belong
Old 01-06-12, 11:58 AM   #150
red g
Paisley

Think we have to congratulate FSG and the people who advised them.

To a man, I don't think he was top on anyones list but they pbviously did there homework and he cuts a very impressive impression

Old 01-06-12, 11:59 AM   #151
Mostar
Chief Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Pepe is perfect for Rodgers. He loves playing the sweeper keeper role. I remember apart from the last 2 years he was always bombing out to clear the ball.
I thinks so too.

That said, Pepe admitted today that he wanted Rafa to come back as LFC manager
Member #1 of the Luis Suarez fan club
Mostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 12:03 PM   #152
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Think we have to congratulate FSG and the people who advised them.

To a man, I don't think he was top on anyones list but they pbviously did there homework and he cuts a very impressive impression
I totally agree. There were a few people on here quite outspoken over the way FSG have handled this. In my opinion, they've done extremely well. And there's more to come as well, with the announcement of the technical team.
Old 01-06-12, 12:03 PM   #153
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Old 01-06-12, 12:04 PM   #154
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Old 01-06-12, 12:09 PM   #155
badpiggy
Paisley

I know I'm getting carried away but he just looks right! Who gives a fuck what Ayre said about continental this or that - he probably finds it awful and close to impossible to step outside commercial, corporate PR bollocks-talk. Rodgers set it out clearly - yes there will be a collaborative team to bring in players and drive the football philosophy throughout the club but he's the manager and that's that. He doesn't need some suited gimp to tell him how the team should play. He's already the anti-Roy.
Old 01-06-12, 12:13 PM   #156
Mattimetal
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
I thinks so too.

That said, Pepe admitted today that he wanted Rafa to come back as LFC manager
I think he'll leave this summer. You can tell he's not really bothered anymore his keeping has been below par for the past two seasons and I think he wants to go back to Spain, as he's been pretty vocal about Lfc probs in the past two summers. I'd love Vorm to replace him personally.

Your too good to be true, can't take the ball off you you got a heavenly touch, you pass like Sounness to rush. And when we're pissed in the bars we thank the Lord that your ours
Old 01-06-12, 12:15 PM   #157
James P
This week, I have been mostly holding on too long

The most alarming thing about this is that he's 11 days younger than me, so for the first time in my life the manager of LFC is my junior. I'm an old man and my life is over.
James P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 12:16 PM   #158
Mattimetal
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
Can you link me up please?
I would if I could, but I am not able

Old 01-06-12, 12:16 PM   #159
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattimetal View Post
I think he'll leave this summer. You can tell he's not really bothered anymore his keeping has been below par for the past two seasons and I think he wants to go back to Spain, as he's been pretty vocal about Lfc probs in the past two summers. I'd love Vorm to replace him personally.
I think this is exactly the appointment that will get his Mojo back. Brendan believes in the sweeper keeper, Rioy didn't and don't think kenny embraced it as muchas he could.....for Brendan its integral

Old 01-06-12, 12:17 PM   #160
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
The most alarming thing about this is that he's 11 days younger than me, so for the first time in my life the manager of LFC is my junior. I'm an old man and my life is over.
Year older than me, when i found that out a little piece of me died.

est1892 > Football > General Football