It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 05-07-06, 11:16 AM   #1
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

England Fans

What do reckon needs to be done to sort out the England Squad.

Personally I'd have John Terry as captain(don't want Stevie distracted )

Also, I'd start looking at who is/isn't going to be at the next world cup.

I'd drop Beckham, Neville, Sol, James, poss Ferdinand, basically everyone who is not going to make the next world cup. Start a new fresh team, and start it now.

All friendlies and Euro qualifiers should feature this team. Give them the games and experience plus time to gel. By the time the next Euro's come round, stick with them, use it as test/learning experience. So that in 4 years for the next world cup we should have team that can challenge.

Thoughts
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 05-07-06, 01:01 PM   #2
scully
The Eyeball Kid

I haven't too many opinions on the matter as I'm pretty indifferent to the national team. One thing I would say though is you're right on the sticking with whatever team is chosen, staying well clear of Sven's tendency to hand out caps so readily and play every single fly-by-night. I feel that Sven was OK for the first year or two, but then every single game was just an experiment with players and formations.
scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 11:04 AM   #3
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

The new manager has to carry through his convictions without pandering to the media - which was part of Sven's problem.

He has to decide who are his World Class players and built the tactics, formation and team around them. Therefore, some difficult decisions are required.

Do England persist in moving Gerrard around the midfield - even though he is our greatest Midfield talent, which every other country would build the team around? Or does the manager decide that if we are playing a four man midfield, Lampard and Gerrard cannot play in the same side, unless Gerrard is given the role that LFC have given Gerrard on many occasions last season.

Goalkeepers isn't too much of a problem. Robinson is undoubtably the number one, with Green, Kirkland, and Carson able deputies. James might as well be sent out to pasture.

Centrebacks - Terry might be captain and is an automatic choice, I would then experiment with Ferdinand or Carragher to see who plays alongside Terry the best. Campbell is no londer picked. And some youth should be drafted in, such as Dawson.

Left Back - I think we are fine there, although Cole had a poor WC. Let him and Bridge battle it out for the spot.

Right Back - as much as I hate him, Neville has no serious competition at the moment, and moving Carra out there is not a viable option. England needs some extra options here and fast.

Centre Midfield - after his star performance against Portugal, I have to say that Hargreaves should be the first choice defensive Midfielder, playing alongside our Stevie. With Stevie having complete licence to roam and to rampage. We have able deputies in both positions in King, Carrick and (shock horror) Lampard.

Left wing - Joe Cole does a job, but isnt suited to the 4-5-1 formation played in the latter stages of the WC. Downing needs to up his performances to put pressure Cole.

Right Wing - SWP needs to leave Chelski ASAP, unless he gets played and I can see himm being the first choice on the right easily. Beckham should only be picked on his performances on the pitch, and at the moment they aren't good enough. Lennon is similar to SWP, just with a few more rough edges.

Strikers - Rooney is obviously first choice, truly World Class player. Then we have Crouch that performs a great job for club and country. I would then alternate between Johnson, Defoe, and Bent to see if any have international pedigree.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 10:30 AM   #4
scully
The Eyeball Kid

Excellent post Cacodemon, have five - oh wait, there isn't that option

I've just seen this on the BBC 'Gossip Column':

More England players are expected to criticise former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson in the aftermath of the World Cup. An agent close to many of the squad has said: "The general view among the players is that he was pretty hopeless and didn't have a clue." (The Observer)

I just wish they had spoken up when it would have been more useful to do so. Then again the similarities between Eriksson and Houllier were striking and so what good would it have done? There's a touch of King Canute about both of them, the way they both persisted in tactics that even the most football-illiterate could see weren't working. Truly weird.
Old 09-07-06, 10:37 AM   #5
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully
Excellent post Cacodemon, have five - oh wait, there isn't that option

I've just seen this on the BBC 'Gossip Column':

More England players are expected to criticise former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson in the aftermath of the World Cup. An agent close to many of the squad has said: "The general view among the players is that he was pretty hopeless and didn't have a clue." (The Observer)

I just wish they had spoken up when it would have been more useful to do so. Then again the similarities between Eriksson and Houllier were striking and so what good would it have done? There's a touch of King Canute about both of them, the way they both persisted in tactics that even the most football-illiterate could see weren't working. Truly weird.
I guess players didn't speak up because they were afraid of their position in the squad. However, Sven would have had some very strong supporters in the Dressing room - it's obvious that Sven's favourites would have stuck up for him, namely Beckham, Lampard, Owen, Neville and Hargreaves.

I can see that people like Rooney, Gerrard, Carragher, and J. Cole would have a problem with Sven and his tactics - it still frustrates me, why he would move and shift Gerrard all over the pitch and not substitute Lampard.
Old 09-07-06, 11:05 AM   #6
scully
The Eyeball Kid

Too much of what he did seemed to be for reasons other than footballing ones. Being a media manipulator was one of them, which was where appointing and then keeping Beckham as captain came in. Plus taking Walcott along (a player he'd never even seen play, thus the most striking example of having no footballing reasons behind his decisions) and repeatedly giving caps to the latest media-hyped player. Plus ManU and Chavski are media darlings and thus he favours their players over players from other teams. It's as if he feared any media controversy that would have happened if he ditched Lampard for Gerrard and didn't play Beckham - he's more like a politician than a football manager.

And the fact that, back in 2004, he only dumped Heskey once Houllier had was pretty dubious. The guy didn't seem to have a footballing will or mind of his own.
Old 09-07-06, 11:27 AM   #7
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Agreed! It's now the media that is slating him, yet they called for alot of the players to be included.
Old 09-07-06, 11:48 AM   #8
scully
The Eyeball Kid

Scolari cited the British media as his main reason for not taking the England management job. Any idea if managers of other national teams suffer the same constant media psychosis?
Old 11-07-06, 09:10 AM   #9
Mumsafan
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully
Scolari cited the British media as his main reason for not taking the England management job. Any idea if managers of other national teams suffer the same constant media psychosis?

I don't think they do to such an extent but Sven hardly helped himself. It was as if he was purposefully doing stuff to get in the papers. Scolari wouldn't be like that at all so he wouldn't get the grief. I can see Macalaren getting the Graham Taylor treatment though
Mumsafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 09:31 AM   #10
scully
The Eyeball Kid

Scolari strikes me as a bit of a hard guy who would have just told the media to go fuck themselves (in Portuguese). The media would have attacked this as outrageous behaviour but just about every single member of the public would have agreed with him. I think the FA themselves need to toughen up against the media, and stop acting like politicians.
Old 11-07-06, 10:54 AM   #11
Mumsafan
Paisley

The FA are a waste of space. None of them have a clue about anything. They have created all the messes they've got themselves in and not had the balls to sort them out.
Mumsafan is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football