It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 25-07-06, 09:31 PM   #1
bazza76
Paisley

Italian clubs reinstated

Lazio have been reinstated to Serie A with an 11 point deduction.:whatever:

Fiorentina reinstated to Serie A with a 19 point deduction. Ground closed for 2 matches. 120,000 Euros fine.:whatever:

Juventus stay in Serie B with a 17 point deduction. For the first time in their history they will play Serie B football. Ground closed for 3 matches. 120,000 Euros fine.:whatever:

AC Milan stay in Serie A with an 8 point deduction. They have been handed a chance to participate in the Champions League but they will need to play in the preliminary rounds. :whatever:

What a copout, Wenger was right when he said the Italians have been cheating for years, Ill never forgive Inter for THAT semi final where they over turned a 3-1 first leg and paid off the ref, as far as i am concerned, they have been always at it. Their relegation should have stood and a bigger example should have been made out of them, plus Juve will be back up next season.
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 25-07-06, 10:16 PM   #2
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Fucking joke.
anfieldanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 10:20 PM   #3
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfieldanfield
Fucking joke.
Me thinks some people have woken up with horses heads next to them !

Italy - the place is so bent/corrupt people cant lie straight in bed.
Old 25-07-06, 10:21 PM   #4
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

it really amazes me that when we won the CL last year we were made to play in the first qualifying round. that was our reward for winning it yet when milan are caught up in a match fixing scandal they are put straight in at the 3rd qualifying round. how does that work? what sort of punishment is that???

somehow i knew they'd be this lenient. with an 8 point deduction they could still win the league!

as for juve...well they got what they deserved but all 4 teams should have had the same punishment.
kurtangle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 10:30 PM   #5
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Utter disgrace. If UEFA had any balls whatsoever they'd have thrown out all Italian clubs for the year - as an example that cheating and match fixing is not allowed.

What message does this put out to AC Milan? Well, all they need to do is 'buy' three victories and they are home free. Disgrace.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-06, 03:30 AM   #6
geeko
Souness

Milan haven't been punished. What a discrace. It looks like Juve have appealed again.. do they have any hope of further reducing the punishment?
geeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-06, 05:50 AM   #7
Finnish_Red
Fagan

Milan is actually back in the title hunt after this

Un-fecking-beliavable so say the least.

Seria A :whatever:
Finnish_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-06, 07:24 AM   #8
LFCman
Fagan

It was always going to happen. What a farce.
LFCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-06, 01:20 PM   #9
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtangle01
it really amazes me that when we won the CL last year we were made to play in the first qualifying round. that was our reward for winning it yet when milan are caught up in a match fixing scandal they are put straight in at the 3rd qualifying round. how does that work? what sort of punishment is that???

somehow i knew they'd be this lenient. with an 8 point deduction they could still win the league!

as for juve...well they got what they deserved but all 4 teams should have had the same punishment.
In general I agree with your sentiments but I would like to point out that technically we weren't even qualified for a place in the CL.
Old 26-07-06, 01:26 PM   #10
univofchicago
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtangle01
great point.

Duncan Oldham, March 29th 2006
univofchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-06, 01:26 PM   #11
univofchicago
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww
In general I agree with your sentiments but I would like to point out that technically we weren't even qualified for a place in the CL.
True as well...

Old 26-07-06, 01:27 PM   #12
univofchicago
Fagan

Does this mean Internazionale are the new Italian Champions??

Old 26-07-06, 04:00 PM   #13
JRG
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by univofchicago
Does that mean they have first pick of the ref available?
Old 26-07-06, 04:23 PM   #14
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by univofchicago
I believe the original decision was to leave the championship as void. Seemed sensible really.
Old 26-07-06, 04:41 PM   #15
darkstar
Houllier

From soccernet, let's see how this works out:

However, UEFA could yet prevent Milan from participating in the competition, and a meeting chaired by the Union's president Lennart Johansson and attended by senior UEFA officials will focus on the Italian situation.

'There will be an emergency panel meeting, which will be attended by the UEFA president on Thursday morning, and it will specifically look at the Italian teams entered for UEFA's competitions for the coming season,' a UEFA spokesman told PA Sport.

Earlier, UEFA's head of communications William Gaillard pointed out that there has been a precedent for the Union preventing a club from playing in their competitions.
darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-06, 09:57 PM   #16
univofchicago
Fagan

Internazionale confirmed as new champions of Italy! I used to be an Inter fan for a while in 1989, having not really made up my mind over who I should support (I was only 6 then!). That year, Inter were crowned champions of Italy and still remember their season finale and getting all excited!

MILAN, July 26 (Reuters) - Inter Milan were awarded the 2005-06 Italian league title on Wednesday in the latest fallout from the country's match-fixing scandal.

The Italian Football Federation's (FIGC) decision to award Inter their 14th title came after a sports tribunal revoked Juventus's title win from last season.

Juve also had their title win from 2004-05 revoked but no replacement winner will be named for that season.

The decision to give Inter their first title since 1989 came after a sports tribunal handed down guilty verdicts to Juventus, who had finished top of Serie A, AC Milan who were second and Lazio and Fiorentina.

'I am fully satisfied by the awarding of the title to a club and team that behaved correctly,' said Inter Milan owner Massimo Moratti, who finally gets his hands on the 'scudetto' after 11 years in charge of the club.

Coach Roberto Mancini said: 'I'm happy. Regardless of how it arrived, it is right to reward those who have given their best and have always been honest. It is strange to win like this but we played fair.'

Inter finished third in last season's championship behind Juventus and AC Milan. They finished 15 points behind Juventus, who won the title with a record 91 points.

Sandro Mazzola, a key figure in the successful Inter team of the 1960's, said there was no way that a title won in this fashion could compare to the victories in his time.

'This title can't be compared to the ones that I won, they were different wins in different seasons. Those were other times but now what has happened has happened and there is a league table with Inter in top spot and so it was normal that the award went to Inter,' he told the Italian news agency Ansa.

'But the fans should be doubly happy -- for the title but also because Inter didn't get themselves involved in certain situations,' Mazzola said referring to the scandal.

Inter should have a very good chance to win their next title in the coming season with Juventus relegated to Serie B and Milan starting the campaign on minus eight points.

The FIGC said it had made the decision after commissioning a three-person committee of experts to give their recommendation.

On Tuesday, a FIGC appeals court confirmed Juventus's relegation to Serie B where they must start the new season with minus 17 points and their loss of the titles they won in the last two seasons.

Juventus have said they will continue to appeal to other courts.

AC Milan, who had said they should be given the last two Serie A titles having finished second, retained their top flight status but were docked eight points at the start of the season.

Old 26-07-06, 11:19 PM   #17
leftpeg
Fagan

I bet that Inter fans are overjoyed and out on the lash tonight to celebrate their championship win. There's going to be an open-top bus ride through the streets of Milan for the victors. Woo hoo!!!

God. Could you just imagine winning this way? They should have just voided it.
leftpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-06, 10:41 AM   #18
dww
humourless curmudgeon

I guess it might feel to them like their years of under achievement were down to unwillingness to pay bribes. In which case, I would be out on the lash. You would have to be happy as an Inter supporter if only because Milan wanted the titles.

Back when channel 4 had Football Italia I supported Fiorentina but post their dubious promotion back up the league and the new scandal I find it hard to now.
Old 27-07-06, 11:18 AM   #19
univofchicago
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww
I guess it might feel to them like their years of under achievement were down to unwillingness to pay bribes. In which case, I would be out on the lash. You would have to be happy as an Inter supporter if only because Milan wanted the titles.
I remember there was huge controversy over referee favouritism in 1998 when Intermilan lost the scudetto to Juventus. Some very disputable decisions went for Juventus along the way including the 'penalty' that was not given to Ronaldo in the Juventus-Inter clash.

So I am sure Inter fans will feel very happy about it.

Come to think of it, it is their first league title in 17 years. I've always had a soft spot for Internazionale because I use to support them when I was a boy. If we win the title next season, it will also be our first league title in 17 years....

est1892 > Football > General Football