It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 20-07-06, 07:01 PM   #1
LFCman
Fagan

Which promoted team will do best?

I reckon Watford might do ok this season. Damien Francis was a good signing for them.

Will be interesting to see how Michael Tonge does for Sheffield United. I remember him being linked with us. Are those 2 goals he scored against us the only thing he has ever done?
LFCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 20-07-06, 07:18 PM   #2
scully
The Eyeball Kid

It's going to be weird seeing the names Reading, Watford and Sheffield United in the Prem - those names just don't belong there!

After last season's prediction-shattering performances by West Ham and Wigan I'm not predicting anything. I hope it wasn't just a blip and we go straight back to promoted teams going straight back down due to not being able to compete financially.
scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-06, 08:54 PM   #3
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Yeah after Wigan's and West Ham's performances last season, I think we'll be back to normal with Reading, Sheff U and Watford all struggling.

I fancy them all to struggle with three from four (the other strugglers being Charlton, IMO) to go down.
Old 20-07-06, 08:57 PM   #4
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

To be honest, I dislike Neil Warnock, and I just know he's gonna try every single trick in the book for the opening game of the season, what with it being SKY's first live game.

I don't think Sheff United have the quality, I doubt Watford can survive, I think Reading have the best chance of survival, but I think they need to get off to a decent start, like Wigan last year.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-06, 09:47 PM   #5
ronan
Dalglish

its going to be harder for this years promoted teams, a bit less dross this year but there is still villa and fulham who will both struggle this yr imo
sheff utd will struggle from day one (fingers crossed), i like watford, king esp. and reading have some good young players but like cacodemon said i think they need a good start.
Old 21-07-06, 09:53 AM   #6
Red_Till_I_Die
Souness

As much as I hate Warnock, I think Sheffield United may surprise a few.

Granted, not to the scale of Wigan last year, but I think they will be able to hold their own.

Plus statistics show the team that gained promotion by finishing runner-up, has the best chance of survival.

I think Watford will be the whipping boys and Reading will struggle.

Chuck Norris has counted to infinity. Twice.

Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King. And got one.
Red_Till_I_Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-06, 02:12 PM   #7
JRG
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Till_I_Die
As much as I hate Warnock, I think Sheffield United may surprise a few.

Granted, not to the scale of Wigan last year, but I think they will be able to hold their own.

Plus statistics show the team that gained promotion by finishing runner-up, has the best chance of survival.

I think Watford will be the whipping boys and Reading will struggle.
I think we'll see Sheffield utd, Villa and Watford going down. I think Reading will do ok and finish comfortably outside the DZ.

That's Reading screwed then.
Old 21-07-06, 03:07 PM   #8
dww
humourless curmudgeon

I think the standard of managers has again improved this year (don't like Warnock but he seems to get results) which makes it hard to predict. I think one of the promoted teams will survive and all will be competitive.

I guess a lot depends on who takes over at Villa, as I think they are the team that needs the most work in the division.
dww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 01:49 AM   #9
saveferris
Fagan

I think Steve Coppell is a vastly underrated manager, however he will find it tough this year. Its imperative for Reading to keep Steve Sidwell if they want to do well. Reading do have an excellent strikeforce and attacking unit though, I dont think their defence is so strong. If they do a Wigan and buy two experienced quality centre halves they then have a real chance.

Watford will find it pretty tough, but Boothroyd got them up when they were faves for relegation, plus they have no real stand out players. A good team ethic but I dont think it will be enough

Warnock could do a job here and keep Sheff U up but I think he is a poor buyer of players which he has repeated this window and his best ones are those he has bought up through the ranks like Tonge and Jagielka.

As a result I reckon if any of the three will stay up it will be Reading, but its a tough ask for all three.

Jermaine, you know the song Billie Jean...is it about the tennis player??
saveferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 02:02 AM   #10
G_Man
Dalglish

Despite the accusation on another former site that I am a closet Boro-fan I think Boro will struggle. Not just becuase they've replaced McLaren with Southgate but also because they haven't replaced Southgate as a player and hasn't Boateng's contract run out? Anyway, they were rubbish last season except for 3 games (Chavs, Arsenal and SCUM at home) and were rejuvenated by their UEFA cup run.
The other teams I think might struggle are Villa, Watford, Sheff Utd and sadly... Wigan.
I think Reading will be OK.

Goals 2006/7 (CS, PL, CL)
1: Agger, Bellamy, Fowler, Alonso, Garcia
2: Gonzalez, Kuyt, Riise
5: Crouch
G_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 09:56 AM   #11
Shanks65
Fagan

I can see Reading surviving this season. Players like Sidwell and Lita are of a decent Prem standard, and Coppell is a decent manager. Reading also have their owner, who has huge wealth, so I can see them making one or two more handy signings before thw window closes.

I hope Sheff Utd struggle. Warnocks kick & rush tactics will surely be found out.

Not sure about Watford. They have a pretty young squad, with hungry players so they may spring a surprise, but I reckon they'll be for the drop.

BTW, I won over
Shanks65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 07:00 PM   #12
Kaip
Something different

[QUOTE=Shanks65]I can see Reading surviving this season. Players like Sidwell and Lita are of a decent Prem standard, and Coppell is a decent manager. Reading also have their owner, who has huge wealth, so I can see them making one or two more handy signings before thw window closes.

I hope Sheff Utd struggle. Warnocks kick & rush tactics will surely be found out.

Not sure about Watford. They have a pretty young squad, with hungry players so they may spring a surprise, but I reckon they'll be for the drop.

BTW, I won over
Old 25-07-06, 09:43 PM   #13
Shanks65
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaip
:whatever: :whatever:
Who let this gaybo on the site
Shanks65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-06, 07:05 AM   #14
Morse
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I reckon Watford might do ok this season. Damien Francis was a good signing for them.

Will be interesting to see how Michael Tonge does for Sheffield United. I remember him being linked with us. Are those 2 goals he scored against us the only thing he has ever done?

Read the sig mate...

Reading will do ok, but mid table at best.

Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-06, 10:37 AM   #15
dww
humourless curmudgeon

I don't think any of the promoted teams will struggle anywhere near as much as Sunderland. I guess Watford do need a new striker though to ensure they get results when they deserve to. I think Boothroyd is one of the most innovative coaches to come out of the lower leagues in ages (probably since Alladyce).

est1892 > Football > General Football