It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 22-07-06, 05:36 PM   #1
LFCman
Fagan

Magpies secure place in Uefa Cup

Quote:
L'strom 0-3 Newcastle (agg 1-4)

Newcastle eased into the second qualifying round of the Uefa Cup after beating Lillestrom in their Intertoto Cup second leg tie in Norway.

Shola Ameobi gave Newcastle the lead when he sidefooted in after Emre's free-kick was parried.

The goal gave the Magpies a 2-1 lead on aggregate and Ameobi extended that further when he slotted in at the far post after a Scott Parker cross.

Emre completed the win when he found the top corner with a 20-yard strike.

The Magpies had slowly asserted their authority from the start in Oslo and Ameobi almost scored when he headed over from eight yards.

He atoned for his miss with the opener after 29 minutes and Emre also went close with a snapshot on his weaker right-foot which squirmed wide.

Lillestrom rarely posed a threat to the Premiership side and went two behind when they allowed Parker to run down the right wing and set up Ameobi for his second after 36 minutes.

The home side upped their game in the second half but had keeper Otto Fredrikson to thank for not conceding a third when he saved from Nolberto Solano.

Arild Sundgot sent a header narrowly wide.

But that was as close as former Manchester City striker Uwe Rosler's side got as Newcastle cantered to victory.

Newcastle's will find out their opponents in the Uefa Cup after the draw on Friday 28 July.
Isn't it funny how Owen left us to win the Champions League?

How do people think Newcastle will do this season?
LFCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 22-07-06, 06:29 PM   #2
JRG
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Isn't it funny how Owen left us to win the Champions League?

How do people think Newcastle will do this season?
Can't see them being much more than mid-table even with duff.

Old 22-07-06, 06:38 PM   #3
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Newcastle will be no better than 6th. Their biggest mistake was appointing Roeder - who'd have ever thought he'd manage again in the prem after taking wham down?
Another trophyless season at SJP.
Old 22-07-06, 06:39 PM   #4
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Newcastle will be no better than 6th. Their biggest mistake was appointing Roeder - who'd have ever thought he'd manage again in the prem after taking wham down?
Another trophyless season at SJP.
Old 22-07-06, 06:40 PM   #5
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Oops!

Mods!
Old 22-07-06, 07:08 PM   #6
Joey Jones
Oh Joey, Joey!

I agree another of season of mid table (at best) for NUFC. I'm sure Freddy Sheppard regrets the sale of Bellamy! They don't have much options up front do they? Ameobi, Milner??

Also so many of there players seem to be injury prone Owen/Dyer/Emre and they seem to be buying another one on Monday in Duff!

And any team which has Boumsong as a 1st choice centre back has got to struggle!!!
Old 23-07-06, 02:33 AM   #7
chewyuk
Evans

Golden rule of Fantasy football - Never have Newcastle defenders ...
Titus Bramble - I mean come on!!
chewyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-06, 06:43 AM   #8
LFCman
Fagan

What baffles me is that I always hear commentators moan at how a club of their size should be winning trophies. A club of their size? Just because they get big crowds each week doesn't mean they are a big club. What have they ever done to warrant thinking themselves as a big club?
LFCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-06, 08:06 AM   #9
Joey Jones
Oh Joey, Joey!

There not a big club in terms of winning trophies are they?! I'm sure the last trophy they won is the Fairs Cup in the 60's!!

Like you mentioned the only reason there classed as a big club is purely on the size of there crowds.

NUFC seems to be a bit of a soap opera in recent years, with the changes in management, such as sacking Robson/employing Souness/sacking of Souness. Personally I don
Old 23-07-06, 09:53 PM   #10
dww
humourless curmudgeon

I think appointing Roeder was the best descision they have made in ages. He seems to have them playing as a team and decent football. I guess it depends on who they sign but I think they will get Europe if they add a decent striker to their squad.

To be honest when you say the best they can hope for is 6th that is a fair comment but in the context of how bad they were when Souness left that is a huge improvement in a season and a half.

est1892 > Football > General Football