It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 09-07-07, 04:08 AM   #1
carlton
Fagan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,203
TV Rights

Pls excuse my ignorance but whats happened to 3.00pm Saturday kick offs? Who owns the tv rights to them? I cat find any news on these. Everything seems to be 12.45 or 5.15 Saturdays or 1.00pm 4.00pm Sundays. The early games are shown here is Oz at reasonable times but the latet kickoffs are in the middle of the night. We are changing daylight savings here by starting early and finiashing later so im not sure yet how this screws around with tv times yet.
__________________
"I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match.
The Future is Red!
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 09-07-07, 08:39 AM   #2
Jan Molby
Evans
 
Jan Molby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlton View Post
Pls excuse my ignorance but whats happened to 3.00pm Saturday kick offs? Who owns the tv rights to them? I cat find any news on these. Everything seems to be 12.45 or 5.15 Saturdays or 1.00pm 4.00pm Sundays. The early games are shown here is Oz at reasonable times but the latet kickoffs are in the middle of the night. We are changing daylight savings here by starting early and finiashing later so im not sure yet how this screws around with tv times yet.
If i remember correctly when sky got involved, the one thing the premier league were worried about was attendance... ie if liverpool were playing scum at three on saturday, attendances may be affected all accross the country, especially in the lower leagues....some kid who supports bristol rovers might prefer to stay at home in the warmth and watch a "big game" on the telly, than go to his local ground to see doncaster play his team. So any time but saturday 3pm, also some games kick off at noon or soon after as a crowd control feature, so the fans aren't in the pub before hand....
__________________
Referee Lubos Michel said: “If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty, and sent off goalkeeper Petr Cech.”
Jan Molby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 08:54 AM   #3
Iceman
Fagan
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,333
TV cannot show games kicking off at 3 pm saturday (think it might be a law but certainly a very firm agreement) for the reasons stated above, the 12-45 kick offs are to catch the far eastern market(peak viewing time), the 5-15 kick offs are to get supporters into the pubs after watching a 3 pm kick off, because Sky make much more from pubs than they do domestic customers.

In short the answer to your question can be summed up in one word..........MONEY
__________________
Lawrenson:"Well thats 3 good chances they have had in the first 3 minutes of this half"

Motson:"" Yes Mark, you could almost say that they have had 3 chances in as many minutes"

Lawrenson: Errr I thought I just did say that, John"

Voronin Fan club member #438
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:10 AM   #4
kop-al-74
Dalglish
 
kop-al-74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
TV cannot show games kicking off at 3 pm saturday (think it might be a law but certainly a very firm agreement) for the reasons stated above, the 12-45 kick offs are to catch the far eastern market(peak viewing time), the 5-15 kick offs are to get supporters into the pubs after watching a 3 pm kick off, because Sky make much more from pubs than they do domestic customers.
In short the answer to your question can be summed up in one word..........MONEY

Really,how?

Last i read was sky in the uk alone around 8m domestic subscribers plus another 3m indirectly through virgin media.

With roughly 60,000 pubs in the uk of which even if half were to have sky tv,i can't see how you come to that.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Bill Shankly.
kop-al-74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:13 AM   #5
carlton
Fagan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
TV cannot show games kicking off at 3 pm saturday (think it might be a law but certainly a very firm agreement) for the reasons stated above, the 12-45 kick offs are to catch the far eastern market(peak viewing time), the 5-15 kick offs are to get supporters into the pubs after watching a 3 pm kick off, because Sky make much more from pubs than they do domestic customers.

In short the answer to your question can be summed up in one word..........MONEY
Thanks for that. I imagine you are referring to the UK only. We get live games here in melbourne from the EPL that start at 11.55 pm local time then an hour later once daylight savings begins (thats how last season worked anyway) and thats around 3.00pm in England? Im just trying to work out what LFC games we'll get to see locally.
__________________
"I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match.
The Future is Red!
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:20 AM   #6
BrandonKop
Souness
 
BrandonKop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 77
Can someone please make it clear for me? Is it ALL the games will be play at 12.45 pm and 5.15 pm only? or these 12.45pm and 5.15 pm is only for LIVE game on TV? Other games will play at normal time 3 pm(no live on tv)?Thank you.
BrandonKop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:25 AM   #7
kop-al-74
Dalglish
 
kop-al-74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonKop View Post
Can someone please make it clear for me? Is it ALL the games will be play at 12.45 pm and 5.15 pm only? or these 12.45pm and 5.15 pm is only for LIVE game on TV? Other games will play at normal time 3 pm(no live on tv)?Thank you.

12.45 and 5.15 games are for tv mate,you will still have your 3pm ko not on live tv.

Although with the right sat system you can watch these aswell.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Bill Shankly.
kop-al-74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:35 AM   #8
redhorizon
Souness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kop-al-74 View Post
Really,how?

Last i read was sky in the uk alone around 8m domestic subscribers plus another 3m indirectly through virgin media.

With roughly 60,000 pubs in the uk of which even if half were to have sky tv,i can't see how you come to that.
http://business.sky.com/pubs_packages_skyhd.asp
Price range from £500-£2800.
And its not only Pubs. Hotels, betting shops, retail outlets etc...
redhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:36 AM   #9
michelmas
Houllier
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 284
For the last few years in Ireland RTE and Setanta (Ireland) have shared the rights to about 30 Saturday 3pm kick offs. We only featured in about 3 of them last season. I don't know if this will be continued into next season. I suppose that the lack of 'normal' kick off times for us is one reason for this.
michelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:42 AM   #10
BrandonKop
Souness
 
BrandonKop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kop-al-74 View Post
12.45 and 5.15 games are for tv mate,you will still have your 3pm ko not on live tv.

Although with the right sat system you can watch these aswell.
Thanks mate.
BrandonKop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 09:55 AM   #11
kop-al-74
Dalglish
 
kop-al-74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorizon View Post
http://business.sky.com/pubs_packages_skyhd.asp
Price range from £500-£2800.
And its not only Pubs. Hotels, betting shops, retail outlets etc...


Still don't add up.

Nevermind.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Bill Shankly.
kop-al-74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 10:31 AM   #12
Iceman
Fagan
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,333
sorry I should have made myself clearer

The No 3pm Kick offs refer to the UK only, they can be shown live elsewhere ( and some pubs have the pirate satellite systems to do this

My point about Sky and the pubs for 5-15 kick offs is that they are shown, to encourage pubs to sign up as per capita it is a lot more lucrative to sky than domestic subscribers
__________________
Lawrenson:"Well thats 3 good chances they have had in the first 3 minutes of this half"

Motson:"" Yes Mark, you could almost say that they have had 3 chances in as many minutes"

Lawrenson: Errr I thought I just did say that, John"

Voronin Fan club member #438
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 12:17 PM   #13
Growler
Evans
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 130
here in oz, the 12.45 and 1.30 kick offs are the best, with the 5.15kick off's the worst. The 3pm is doable during winter in Oz (now), but real tough in the summer (from October).
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 12:26 PM   #14
dmulla
Souness
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelmas View Post
For the last few years in Ireland RTE and Setanta (Ireland) have shared the rights to about 30 Saturday 3pm kick offs. We only featured in about 3 of them last season. I don't know if this will be continued into next season. I suppose that the lack of 'normal' kick off times for us is one reason for this.
I'm not sure if Setanta will have 3pm kick offs this season, I think they do, but I know that RTE definitely don't have any.
dmulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 12:42 PM   #15
Warren
Not Bunny!
 
Warren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,843
LFC Vs Villa will be the first game on Setanta this season
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 06:42 PM   #16
Morph
Spin doctor
 
Morph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by kop-al-74 View Post
12.45 and 5.15 games are for tv mate,you will still have your 3pm ko not on live tv.

Although with the right sat system you can watch these aswell.
Al, any ideas what's happening with the live rights this season with art sport, I heard they had lost the rights to prem games and it was another station who had bought them, but their broadcast footprint or whatever you call it was going to make it difficult for us in the uk to pick up, any info?
__________________
Thomas Hicks Senior
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 07:00 PM   #17
red g
Paisley
 
red g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,247
we are on more than anyone at 12.45 because these games traditionally have the lowest viewing figures, hence makes sense to put us on then
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 02:29 AM   #18
Growler
Evans
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 130
the 12.45 games are tailored for the east, ie far east, asia, australia
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 07:48 AM   #19
jpamboris
Souness
 
jpamboris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 32
Don't worry mate, it's only in the UK where the 3pm kick offs are not shown live. We still get them here, just won't know what match is on till about 7 days before.

Trust me, we see more premier league matches than what the English see on Sky. Simply because we see the 3pm game on a Saturday.

Or, if you want to see all Liverpool matches, sign up to one of the Live Internet streaming places. I did & i have not missed any LFC games since. Quality is decent enough, but better than watching other teams play...
jpamboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.