It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 17-02-21, 03:04 PM   #601
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...thought he ran his socks off last night. Still puts the boot in and mis-times a few but he's having to do a role he's not 100% suited to. He does make us much better in possession and his vision and range of passing is subtle and clever for the mostpart. He plays the ball that our midfielders have been reluctant to... he's the one who will make us tick when Hendo and Fab and around him.

People keep saying Fernandes changed Utd and he's just one player, but Thiago hasn't done that with us... Well, Fernandes was given a free rein, not a specific role and he just wandered all over the place when Utd where playing shite and fairly static - hence he stood out head and shoulders above everyone else. Thiago is a playing a disciplined role and is putting in a shift each game which will help his fitness. He'll be a superstar next season in a stronger first team...

Totally agree.

And again last night he was good playing under the radar. Did an awful lot of the donkey work and did it in a very quick unassuming way.

Worst culprit for wasting his passes again last night was Firmino. He must have miscontrolled at least 4 passes from Thiago that if he has controlled them he was in a little pocket of space.

Thiago more than passed the eye test for me last night but just took a look at some of his stats for his 72 mins last night.

72 mins played
92.5% pass accuracy
40 passes made
2 tackles won
2 clearances
1 interception
I block
2 aerial duels won
0 dispossessions (as in the ball taken from him)

Eye test and stats both show a very efficient defensive display

and for context, Wijnaldum and Jones.

Wijnaldum

90 mins played
86% pass accuracy
36 passes made
2 tackles won
1 clearance
1 interceptions
0 blocks
0 aerial duels won
2 dispossessions

Jones

90 mins played
79% pass accuracy
43 passes made including one key pass
1 tackle won
3 clearances
1 interception
0 blocks
1 aerial duel won
0 dispossessions

Jones pass accuracy reflecting him playing in the more advanced role any time we were on the ball and having to attempt more higher risk passes.

For me the stats just back up what I thought I was seeing, and that Thiago and Jones were the better of the midfield starting trio.

Jones' stats are impressive imo considering his age and the fact he was shuttling up the pitch to try and link with the attack as well as coming back to do his share of the defensive work against a team tha did press well and that did not give him a lot of time on the ball.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-21, 03:35 PM   #602
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I thought the midfield three did well last night. Leipzig are a decent team, it was a battle in there, but we won it.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-21, 04:55 PM   #603
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

None of our starting XI played poorly last night. We were against a good team and for all the talk after the game of how RBL were average or shite and that they have some crap players and what not, I saw plenty on here posting before the game that they were expecting us to lose and what not.

I saw and still see the RBL games as having the potential to go like the Atalanta games. They are the sort of team we can carve open, but at the same time the sort of team that only need a few things to go their way for them to score freely against us.

They had a few players last night that did not seem to be playing to their usual standards like Angelino, Sabitzer,and Olmo. They were not bad but not as fluid as they usually are in attack Angelini in particular was not as clinical as he can be. Hopefully they are the same again in three weeks and after that they can go back to playing well in any other match they like.

Fully expect Nagelsmann to do his usual and field a very different team in their next domestic match and probably start maybe four or five players in the next game against us that did not start last night. He seems to chop and change his team almost every game and he moves that back line around amost game to game at times too as well as switching from three at the back to four at the back (they look way more solid when they go four at the back and play 433 or 4321)

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 17-02-21 at 04:58 PM.
Old 18-02-21, 01:11 PM   #604
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

I thought he was a bit more composed in the tackle the other night. Stayed on his feet a little bit more. Hoping for more of that going forwards.

As for his fitness it's still a tiny bit of a worry. Was he often subbed for Dortmund? He's such a key player that you wouldn't normally dream of subbing, but if he's gassed by 70 minutes we have little option.

I wonder if he might be suffering from a bit of long covid affects?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-21, 01:13 PM   #605
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I thought he was a bit more composed in the tackle the other night. Stayed on his feet a little bit more. Hoping for more of that going forwards.

As for his fitness it's still a tiny bit of a worry. Was he often subbed for Dortmund? He's such a key player that you wouldn't normally dream of subbing, but if he's gassed by 70 minutes we have little option.

I can confidently say he wasn't.

... Not sure about his time in Munich though
Old 18-02-21, 01:15 PM   #606
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I can confidently say he wasn't.

... Not sure about his time in Munich though
It's been a long day already!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-21, 01:39 PM   #607
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
It's been a long day already!
same here
Old 18-02-21, 02:00 PM   #608
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Just looking at his starts for us and he has had eight starts and played the full 90 in six of them. Bit surprised by that as like you I was thinking that he was subbed off more than that.

What might be throwing my thinking off is the fact he has played in a number of games in which he was the sub coming on.
Old 18-02-21, 05:49 PM   #609
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

One thing I noticed the other night was how much Klopp was on his case

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-21, 06:54 PM   #610
S-RED
Dalglish

Thiiaaaaggggoooooo!!!!
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-21, 10:37 AM   #611
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
One thing I noticed the other night was how much Klopp was on his case

YNWA
Hendo was as well.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 11:03 AM   #612
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Need this lad on form today.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 07:12 PM   #613
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Not getting it so far.
Old 20-02-21, 07:14 PM   #614
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Seems like he needs more time on th ball than you are ever going to get in this league.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 20-02-21, 07:28 PM   #615
cannotmakeit
Fagan

He has been shit
cannotmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 07:41 PM   #616
spud_gun
Paisley

The pass that he just cannoned off Manes arse (unintentionally) in the 50th min sums up his Liverpool career thus far.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-21, 07:43 PM   #617
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
The pass that he just cannoned off Manes arse (unintentionally) in the 50th min sums up his Liverpool career thus far.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 20-02-21, 08:23 PM   #618
Scratch
If you fail once....

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Scratch; 20-02-21 at 08:26 PM.
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 01:28 PM   #619
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Played 12 league games with no goals and no assists, and at least three assists for opposition goals (cheap free kicks and losing possession). A poor man's Scott McTominay so far.
Old 21-02-21, 01:30 PM   #620
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He might do all right in our team at full strength, but he looks miles away in the team as it stands. And he is getting worse week on week.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 21-02-21, 01:48 PM   #621
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

I'm just gobsmacked at how poor he has been.
Old 21-02-21, 03:39 PM   #622
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Played 12 league games with no goals and no assists, and at least three assists for opposition goals (cheap free kicks and losing possession). A poor man's Scott McTominay so far.

You expected goals and assists from a player like Thiago? Never been a thing with him tbh.

He got 17 league goals in 7 seasons with a full strength Bayern and 7 league goals in his time at Barca.

To be honest I am more worried why our regular midifelders that are at the club a long time are somehow managing to look like they only joined the club recently as well. They look like they are only settling into a new club, and they all look like they could not get a whiff of a goal either.

If we looked at all our senior midfield options this season other than Fabinho and Henderson, then I think it is fair to say peple would be wondering just what the fuss was about any of them.

Jones I do not include in that comment as I do not see him as an established senior player yet because would not be fair to lump the same expectations on a 20 year old midfielder in his first proper season . But the rest are either playing sub par or constantly out injured.
Old 21-02-21, 04:31 PM   #623
Maxiedge
Shankly

I really think ideally Klopp would have played Milner and Gini as holding with Thiago a more advanced role yesterday but once again we are struck down by an injury (Milner)
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 04:40 PM   #624
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Must be on big wages. Reckon any chance klopp cuts his losses in the summer? I'd love to see him play in a strong team, having a full pre season and see what he can do with a crowd behind him.
Old 21-02-21, 04:55 PM   #625
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Must be on big wages. Reckon any chance klopp cuts his losses in the summer? I'd love to see him play in a strong team, having a full pre season and see what he can do with a crowd behind him.
Not unless the player wanted out I reckon.

And even then, him leaving would leave us being down both him and Wijnaldum and still with the issue of having the likes of Keita and Chamberlain on the books who cannot seem to string a run of games together plus an aging Milner.

We do look like we need some fresh blood in midfield regardless this summer as we generally have too many of our back up players unavailable when need them.
Old 23-02-21, 04:15 PM   #626
danperkins

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thiago dropped for the next game and maybe Keita/Shaq or Ox getting a start. We need to mix things up and we certainly need a midfield that moves the ball around quickly as Sheff United are absolutely going to park a bus. I would like to see Klopp trying something new in this game.
Old 23-02-21, 04:25 PM   #627
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Thiago dropped for the next game and maybe Keita/Shaq or Ox getting a start. We need to mix things up and we certainly need a midfield that moves the ball around quickly as Sheff United are absolutely going to park a bus. I would like to see Klopp trying something new in this game.

You think?

Against the us of last season or even earlier this season then I would say yes.

But not so sure that they will park it fully at the weekend. I have a feeling they will try to press us and be physical with us if we do not put them on the back foot early on. The fear factor has waned in recent weeks and you can see teams getting stuck into us more than they tried to last season.

Last season the bus was parked to try to keep the core down and on the off chance that a team might get a point from us. Since Xmas it feels like teams play us expecting a point and are hoping for the chance of all three.

Plus this game is a free hit for them. They go at us and lose, and it will be "well it was to be expected".

If I was managing their team I would be looking to find out if we are a mentally suspect as we appear to be of late and trying to keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible or trying to nick a lead to see if we go into leaving gaps mode again.

We should have too much, even with the players we have out, to beat a team that has only 2 wins and a draw at home in the league all season, but we need to slap them down early in the game and put them to the sword and not find ourselves 70 minutes into the game and still on level terms.
Old 23-02-21, 04:53 PM   #628
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
You think?

Against the us of last season or even earlier this season then I would say yes.

But not so sure that they will park it fully at the weekend. I have a feeling they will try to press us and be physical with us if we do not put them on the back foot early on. The fear factor has waned in recent weeks and you can see teams getting stuck into us more than they tried to last season.

Last season the bus was parked to try to keep the core down and on the off chance that a team might get a point from us. Since Xmas it feels like teams play us expecting a point and are hoping for the chance of all three.

Plus this game is a free hit for them. They go at us and lose, and it will be "well it was to be expected".

If I was managing their team I would be looking to find out if we are a mentally suspect as we appear to be of late and trying to keep it at 0-0 for as long as possible or trying to nick a lead to see if we go into leaving gaps mode again.

We should have too much, even with the players we have out, to beat a team that has only 2 wins and a draw at home in the league all season, but we need to slap them down early in the game and put them to the sword and not find ourselves 70 minutes into the game and still on level terms.
I think they will do exactly what everyone else is doing, let us have possession, drive us wide being confident that a packed box with big defenders will clear the ball. They don't have the pace to counter attack so maybe set pieces is where they'll feel they are dangerous.

no doubts they will press us and get stuck in. I think it's time to shake things up, try a different formation, setup, personnel kinda thing. Also I don't think a free hit exist for a team that are bottom of the table and desperately need to get any points they can. They'll fighting tooth and nail and may see this as one of the best opportunities to beat LFC in our current state.
Old 23-02-21, 05:46 PM   #629
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
I think they will do exactly what everyone else is doing, let us have possession, drive us wide being confident that a packed box with big defenders will clear the ball. They don't have the pace to counter attack so maybe set pieces is where they'll feel they are dangerous.

no doubts they will press us and get stuck in. I think it's time to shake things up, try a different formation, setup, personnel kinda thing. Also I don't think a free hit exist for a team that are bottom of the table and desperately need to get any points they can. They'll fighting tooth and nail and may see this as one of the best opportunities to beat LFC in our current state.

The gaps we are leaving at times in front of the back four and the way we keep standing off runners is sort of taking away the need for a lot of pace to hurt us. Running hard in a straight line through our cetre seems to be enough to cause us problems at times, and the way our full backs are at times following the ball and not the man at times is a bit of a worry.

It happened a pile of times against Leipzig and thankfully they were not on form at all up front or on their left flank otherwise it may have been a harder batle for us, and it happened a good few times against Everton as well.

If Fab, Keta and Jota are fully fit, I would be starting Fab, Thiago and Keita in the centre (maybe a bit harsh on Jones but he would be the first midfielder I would sub into the game) and I would have Bobby on the bench with Jota starting in the middle up front but with him and Salah told to swap roles at will.

Jota makes lovely diagonal runs and he makes lovely runs across the box so would have Naby and Thiago primed to look for him all game long, and let Salah/Mane gain a bit of room to cut into thanks to Jota's movement and pace drawing defenders to him.

Backline would be Alisson, TAA, Robertson and two from Kabak/Phillips/Davies
Old 23-02-21, 08:09 PM   #630
danperkins

Quote:
The gaps we are leaving at times in front of the back four and the way we keep standing off runners is sort of taking away the need for a lot of pace to hurt us. Running hard in a straight line through our cetre seems to be enough to cause us problems at times, and the way our full backs are at times following the ball and not the man at times is a bit of a worry.

It happened a pile of times against Leipzig and thankfully they were not on form at all up front or on their left flank otherwise it may have been a harder batle for us, and it happened a good few times against Everton as well.

If Fab, Keta and Jota are fully fit, I would be starting Fab, Thiago and Keita in the centre (maybe a bit harsh on Jones but he would be the first midfielder I would sub into the game) and I would have Bobby on the bench with Jota starting in the middle up front but with him and Salah told to swap roles at will.

Jota makes lovely diagonal runs and he makes lovely runs across the box so would have Naby and Thiago primed to look for him all game long, and let Salah/Mane gain a bit of room to cut into thanks to Jota's movement and pace drawing defenders to him.

Backline would be Alisson, TAA, Robertson and two from Kabak/Phillips/Davies
agree with all of this. Doubt Jota or Fab will be back for this or anywhere near fit but IMO Kabak/Philips will and should be the current backline, the midfield is up for debate but it has been a shit show for months now so maybe time to try something different.
Old 23-02-21, 09:46 PM   #631
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:
The fact that we would have to rely on players made of matchsticks to pull us out of this slump is truly depressing.
Old 23-02-21, 11:42 PM   #632
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Thiago it's time to stand up and be counted.
Old 23-02-21, 11:56 PM   #633
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
agree with all of this. Doubt Jota or Fab will be back for this or anywhere near fit but IMO Kabak/Philips will and should be the current backline, the midfield is up for debate but it has been a shit show for months now so maybe time to try something different.

Would take a 75% sharp Fab and a 75% sharp Jota over a misfiring maybe overplayed Wijnaldum and an out of form Bobby tbh.

Pretty sure both Fab and Jota are back in full training, so would be more a case of them needing some game time to get sharp.

Even if they were only up to playing 70 to 75 mins I would play them.
Old 24-02-21, 12:30 AM   #634
danperkins

Quote:
Would take a 75% sharp Fab and a 75% sharp Jota over a misfiring maybe overplayed Wijnaldum and an out of form Bobby tbh.

Pretty sure both Fab and Jota are back in full training, so would be more a case of them needing some game time to get sharp.

Even if they were only up to playing 70 to 75 mins I would play them.
Old 01-03-21, 05:27 PM   #635
Tribute
Shankly

Gets a bad wrap from some on here as not living up to the hype from Bayern but hes being asked to do a different role in an injury-savaged team... and putting the boot in when hes clearly not that type of player. Hes being asked to be a Scholesy (and unfortunately he tackles like him)...

For me, hes doing what is asked of him - hes been decent, not great or awesome. But decent at breaking up play and winning the ball back plus he continues to make more successful passes than those around him in the middle - same last night with 65 passes compared to Gini and Joness 42 and 40.

We wont see the best of him until Hendo and Fab are alongside him and we have a solid back four again. Hes by no means our worst outfield player.. Trent and Robbo have both had absolutely stinkers before last night... and hes still bedding in. Dodgy tackles aside, hes been decent in recent games.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 05:43 PM   #636
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Gets a bad wrap from some on here as not living up to the hype from Bayern but hes being asked to do a different role in an injury-savaged team... and putting the boot in when hes clearly not that type of player. Hes being asked to be a Scholesy (and unfortunately he tackles like him)...

For me, hes doing what is asked of him - hes been decent, not great or awesome. But decent at breaking up play and winning the ball back plus he continues to make more successful passes than those around him in the middle - same last night with 65 passes compared to Gini and Joness 42 and 40.

We wont see the best of him until Hendo and Fab are alongside him and we have a solid back four again. Hes by no means our worst outfield player.. Trent and Robbo have both had absolutely stinkers before last night... and hes still bedding in. Dodgy tackles aside, hes been decent in recent games.

He was good last night, just not flashy. He constantly knitted play together and he was on the ball more than either of Jones or Wijnaldum. He just kept it simple and flowing over and over.

He also was finding Wijnaldum and Jones with the ball when they went forward and he found Firmino a lot with passes and as with a lot of games of lot, Bobby then either took too much time after getting the pass or miscontrolled it.

He was also a big part of us holding the ball for spells of play as he was difficult to get the ball off of last night and very comfortable being the outlet for others even when he was being marked tightly.
Old 01-03-21, 09:07 PM   #637
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Yes I thought Thiago was excellent last night. I think up till now Thiago has been trying to play like he did with Bayern. Even those around him have been deferring to him. The last couple of games he has played like we need him to play given our current personnel.
We will eventually see the real Thiago once everyone is fit and firing.

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 09:11 PM   #638
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
Yes I thought Thiago was excellent last night. I think up till now Thiago has been trying to play like he did with Bayern. Even those around him have been deferring to him. The last couple of games he has played like we need him to play given our current personnel.
We will eventually see the real Thiago once everyone is fit and firing.

YNWA
He is fire fighting a lot, but I agree in a settled side hell be class.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 02-03-21, 12:02 PM   #639
frank the tank
Shankly

Would love to know if he regrets leaving Bayern. Obviously he wanted a new challenge but in reality he would have seen us up close when we spanked Bayern in the CL a few years ago, and then watched us break all records in the league the following year. He would have thought that he was joining an unreal crushing team.

Obviously the injuries screwed our season but i think Thiago will be determined to prove that joining LFC was the right thing for him to do. I think we will be so hungry next year to prove that this season was a total anomaly......including Thiago.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 12:23 PM   #640
Paul12
Benitez

I get that he is a really good player, but this season and in that team as it is currently playing, he is in my view a weak link. His tackling leads to yellow cards and free kicks given away in dangerous positions. His attempts to turn his way out of close attention are being read too easily. And, when I watch closely what he does with the ball, I find his usage is currently less progressive/incisive than the other midfielders' usage.

I think he has found it a really tough start and has started to concentrate mainly on not losing the ball, even when close to the box. We have so much ball ten yards outside the box and what we need is someone who the opposition are scared of leaving with the ball in that position.

Last edited by Paul12; 02-03-21 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Typo corrected
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC