It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 05-05-18, 10:46 PM   #7921
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Haye looks like he's wearing a giant nappy.
Old 05-05-18, 10:47 PM   #7922
S-RED
Dalglish

stream?
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 10:52 PM   #7923
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Sky commentary is priceless. You would swear we were watching Holyfield-Bowe 2 such is the hyperbole.

It is sort of entertaining to watch, but in a two tramps fighting over a six pack of Dutch Gold kind of way.
Old 05-05-18, 10:53 PM   #7924
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Haye is down lol

HAHAHA Haye is down a second time

Bell goes and saves him
Old 05-05-18, 10:54 PM   #7925
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Bellend bullying Haye and going for the kill at the start of the fourth
Old 05-05-18, 10:55 PM   #7926
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Haye getting bashed here
Old 05-05-18, 10:56 PM   #7927
rodo
Shankly

haye is so finished
Old 05-05-18, 10:57 PM   #7928
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Bellend seemed to take a break during that round after he had Haye in trouble
Old 05-05-18, 10:58 PM   #7929
spud_gun
Paisley

Anyone really belive he was 100% fit prior to this fight?

Shambolic stuff
Old 05-05-18, 10:58 PM   #7930
spud_gun
Paisley

Bellew is such an insuferable cunt.
Old 05-05-18, 10:59 PM   #7931
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Bellew fighting past their best bums.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 11:00 PM   #7932
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Haye down again
Old 05-05-18, 11:00 PM   #7933
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Ref stops it

Bellend wins the Dutch Gold title
Old 05-05-18, 11:01 PM   #7934
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

HAHAHA Commentator going on about how incredible Bellend is.
Old 05-05-18, 11:02 PM   #7935
Zapater
Dalglish

Fair play to Bellew, but it must be said that Haye is completely done. Zero legs anymore. He didn't even look hurt. Probably best he was in with Bellew rather than real competitor. It could have ended up much worse. Hopefully this is the last time we see Haye in the ring and Bellew will fight someone decent and get that insufferable grin off of his face.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 11:08 PM   #7936
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

what odds Bellend retiring soon after this too?

Money made and I doubt he wants anything to do with even a semi decent heavyweight.
Old 05-05-18, 11:10 PM   #7937
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
what odds Bellend retiring soon after this too?

Money made and I doubt he wants anything to do with even a semi decent heavyweight.
He's spoken about it over the last few years. Unless he can get more money fights I doubt we'll see him many 2 or 3 times. I really hope that Sky don't give him media job. I'd hate to hear his soundbites week in week out. Imagine him and Froch trying to talk over each other.
Old 05-05-18, 11:11 PM   #7938
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Fair play to Bellew, but it must be said that Haye is completely done. Zero legs anymore. He didn't even look hurt. Probably best he was in with Bellew rather than real competitor. It could have ended up much worse. Hopefully this is the last time we see Haye in the ring and Bellew will fight someone decent and get that insufferable grin off of his face.

Could you imagine what would have happened if Haye's ankle gave way in front of Joshua. It could've been dangerous.

I've always liked Haye's boxing style but couldn't standing the man and his marketing machine/bullshit.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 11:11 PM   #7939
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
He's spoken about it over the last few years. Unless he can get more money fights I doubt we'll see him many 2 or 3 times. I really hope that Sky don't give him media job. I'd hate to hear his soundbites week in week out. Imagine him and Froch trying to talk over each other.

shudders
Old 05-05-18, 11:22 PM   #7940
Zapater
Dalglish

Talk of Bellew fighting Wilder. Can't believe Barker even took that question seriously.
Old 06-05-18, 11:25 AM   #7941
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Haye talking about how he will suspend any thoughts of retiring until he has had time to review the tapes of the fight

In other words trying to figure out if there is any way to squeeze another pay day out of mugs
Old 06-05-18, 11:29 AM   #7942
fidget
Dalglish

In other news GGG was fantastic as usual
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 11:42 AM   #7943
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
In other news GGG was fantastic as usual
Did you see the string of punches at the end of round 2? I know fuck all about boxing but that was impressive to me.

I'm showing my son some video shorts of him to show how he moves while he punches and how he follows up.

He's doing a kickboxing comp in a couple of weeks, dead excited!
Old 06-05-18, 11:48 AM   #7944
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Just finished watching the replay of the GGG bout as did not stay up for it last night. Damn that was a destructive finishing flurry from him.
Old 06-05-18, 12:19 PM   #7945
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Haye talking about how he will suspend any thoughts of retiring until he has had time to review the tapes of the fight

In other words trying to figure out if there is any way to squeeze another pay day out of mugs
I'd be shocked to see Haye in the ring again, at least in a competitive fight. He's stated so many times that he's not one to stick around in their old age (although Holyfield made fun of Holmes for doing it and ended up going much further than Holmes). He may have a goodbye fight against some mediocre European or domestic level fighter but he has nowhere to go and no one will pay to see it regardless how they try to hype it. Him and Schafer might as well concentrate on pushing Joe Joyce.

History should be kind to Haye, he was a fantastic cruiserweight and a very good heavyweight. He gave Wlad an uncomfortable and competitive fight and showed skills that we don't often see in heavyweights. His backward pivoting and head movement are nowhere to be seen. He's not the type of a fighter who can recreate himself and that's not even considering his deteriorating body. His legs are finished for sure. Bellew's face was more marked up than his

Although as we know history doesn't always remember fighters at their best. Naz is forever a 'choker' despite only losing 1 fight to one of the best fighters at the time. On the other hand Nigel Benn despite quite a few losses at the end is remembered for his best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Did you see the string of punches at the end of round 2? I know fuck all about boxing but that was impressive to me.

I'm showing my son some video shorts of him to show how he moves while he punches and how he follows up.

He's doing a kickboxing comp in a couple of weeks, dead excited!
The accuracy was impressive, the best punch was when he slipped the jab and hit that gigantic uppercut. I don't know about Golovkin, he looked pretty flat footed in the first round and got momentarily stunned by that stiff jab. Obviously he's still class but he definitely isn't what he was 5 years ago. Definitely stopping Canelo when their fight is rearranged.

I can't wait for Linares - Loma next weekend. Has the potential to be a classic. I don't often agree with Bellew, but Salas is mad to choose Haye over Linares. I guess money talks. Will he be in Linares corner on fight night?
Old 06-05-18, 12:38 PM   #7946
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Do you know any boxers that are worth watching from a balance point of view?

Might not carry across to MMA but my son has just turned 8 and is starting to 'dance' around a swinging punchbag!

Yeah I'm sure this all sounds crap to you all but any help is good
Old 06-05-18, 02:15 PM   #7947
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Do you know any boxers that are worth watching from a balance point of view?

Might not carry across to MMA but my son has just turned 8 and is starting to 'dance' around a swinging punchbag!

Yeah I'm sure this all sounds crap to you all but any help is good

Dig up footage of Andre Ward if you want him to see the sort of balance that comes from hard work and repetition. In terms of boxing basics, Ward is one of the most complete and balanced boxers I have ever seen in the modern era.

Yes there have been guys who are more naturally athletic, or guys who were more talented a la Mayweather jr or Roy Jones jr. But for an example of a recent guy whose balance and basics in the ring were almost textbook (and also learnable) it would be difficult to look past Ward.

His fight against Dawson from 2012 is a good example of his mastery of the basics and his balance (and when I say balance I mean two things. How balanced he is overall as a fighter and also his actual balance/stance when he is moving/reacting/throwing etc and how he grounds his feet etc. ).

Bernard Hopkins is another who was a wonderfully balanced boxer in terms of skills and his mastery of such, and his use of his body and control of such was exemplary.

Watch his feet when he throws a shot, or how he pivots when avoid a shot. He rarely is off balance, is always moving fluidly into his next stance, and grounds his feet so so well.

My favourite boxer of them all, Marvin Hagler, would be a great example to watch as well. Pre slugger era Hagler (pre circa 1984) was was of the most compelt and perfect boxing machines of all time and that was in no small part due to his wonderful balance in the ring. He could throw hooks, standard jabs, straights and his Gazelle Jab without breaking stride or losing a hint of balance. Same was his ability to switch stance as he would do so without missing a beat and going slightly off blance for even a second.

Hagler vs Hearns or vs Mugabi are probably what come to mind for many when thinkng of Hagler, but that was Hagler a little past his best and a slowed down Hagler.

I think better examples of Hagler in terms of balance would be in his fights against Duran, Sibson and Minter.

All the above guys were so aware of their centre of gravity, and if you watch them move they are so practised in doing things like bending the knees whilst moving so they reduce their centre of gravity to be lower than the other guy's.

All three ground their feet when moving, all three move with their centre of gravity rather than forcing against it, and their hips move with their shoulders and arms (and vice versa rather than hips trying to be forced to move where the arms are going).
Old 06-05-18, 02:34 PM   #7948
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

This is brilliant thanks!
Old 06-05-18, 10:53 PM   #7949
Zapater
Dalglish

Also depends what you're looking for in terms of balance. If you're talking about counter punching/combination punching and always ending up in a decent position, being able to throw punches from any position, always keeping the ideal range in relation to an opponent it is always different. Many heavyweights have horrendous balance as they're disproportionate and often try to throw too hard leaving themselves in awful positions after the punch has been thrown. Deontay Wilder is a prime example of this.

Take a look at Juan Manuel Marquez. Very seldom do you see a fighter who lunges in as much as he did and still maintain a good overall position. Also dropping his hands half way through a combination and somehow raising them just in time to parry an opponents blow - then continue punching.

Also good shout on Mayweather and Ward above. Mayweather has had it so well ingrained in him. It's incredible how he used to step backwards so quickly but maintain perfect boxing stance ready to control distance, attack and defend. Strong base for his composure, quite often overlooked in the analysis of him where people automatically look at his fast hands and shoulder roll.
Old 07-05-18, 08:25 AM   #7950
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Also depends what you're looking for in terms of balance. If you're talking about counter punching/combination punching and always ending up in a decent position, being able to throw punches from any position, always keeping the ideal range in relation to an opponent it is always different. Many heavyweights have horrendous balance as they're disproportionate and often try to throw too hard leaving themselves in awful positions after the punch has been thrown. Deontay Wilder is a prime example of this.

Take a look at Juan Manuel Marquez. Very seldom do you see a fighter who lunges in as much as he did and still maintain a good overall position. Also dropping his hands half way through a combination and somehow raising them just in time to parry an opponents blow - then continue punching.

Also good shout on Mayweather and Ward above. Mayweather has had it so well ingrained in him. It's incredible how he used to step backwards so quickly but maintain perfect boxing stance ready to control distance, attack and defend. Strong base for his composure, quite often overlooked in the analysis of him where people automatically look at his fast hands and shoulder roll.

There's a few people in this thread, you included, who's knowledge of boxing and the efforts involved are way more in-depth and described in such a thorough manner that it puts the efforts of those describing football to shame. I like boxing and have watched for over 30 years but I don't notice what you lot do. You're either brilliant blaggers or you know your stuff. I'm fairly confident it's the latter. I love reading the posts even if I've missed the fight itself!
Old 07-05-18, 08:31 AM   #7951
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post

There's a few people in this thread, you included, who's knowledge of boxing and the efforts involved are way more in-depth and described in such a thorough manner that it puts the efforts of those describing football to shame. I like boxing and have watched for over 30 years but I don't notice what you lot do. You're either brilliant blaggers or you know your stuff. I'm fairly confident it's the latter. I love reading the posts even if I've missed the fight itself!
One of your best posts Bob!
Old 07-05-18, 11:23 AM   #7952
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:

Juan Manuel Marquez is a great shout. His control and mastery of the basics were so ingrained into him that it was second nature to him to stay balanced after throwing the sort of shot or jab that could potentially leave a fighter off balance and open to a counter. His fantastic balance played a big part in him at the age of 39 being able to go the distance with Tim Bradley.

Read before that he based his lunging style on a lot of what Hagler used to do, specifically the gazelle jab that Hagler perfected. And that gazelle jab was in turn a nod towards certain martial artists from the 1960s and 1970s.

And talking of guys that took influence from others with regards to stance and techniques for maintaining balance, Ward used to watch a lot of martial arts and studied the no fixed stance style of Bruce Lee to come up with his own variation of what Lee did.

Basically the premise was that you would remain fluid during a fight to the degree you did not revery to any one stance as a default. For Ward it allowed him to switch from southpaw to orthodox and back again over and over during fights and not miss a beat. He was so slick in doing it that he would be able to do it as he bent his knees to move and would be in the new stance before the other fighter or the commentators noticed. Often it would only be after he had thrown his first shot from the new stance that it would be picked up upon.
Old 07-05-18, 11:52 AM   #7953
fidget
Dalglish

This is a good little breakdown of Hagler's fluidity

http://dailystarmovies.com/videomovi...YZBUI5mk0.html
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 12:47 PM   #7954
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Oh shit that Hopkins - Trinidad fight was brilliant!

So weird that 5,000 people died only two weeks before.
Old 07-05-18, 12:57 PM   #7955
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
This is a good little breakdown of Hagler's fluidity

http://dailystarmovies.com/videomovi...YZBUI5mk0.html
That's a great video. I've heard of these fighters but I've never really been into boxing. I like it when I watch it though.

But damn that Hagler looked like he could punch through steel from any angle.
Old 09-05-18, 06:58 PM   #7956
Deano
Shankly

I'm shit at posting pics on here- But have you seen the Tyson Fury pic today by Frank Warren- Fuck me that is some weight loss... Starting to really put on muscle
Old 09-05-18, 08:04 PM   #7957
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Looking forward to Lomachenko v Linares at the weekend. Good match-up, style wise
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 09:15 PM   #7958
Zapater
Dalglish

So Sauerland says that Groves is still 50-50 for the final and we'll need to see if he recovers in time for the final. Would be hilarious if Eubank had to step in and won, especially after all (Naz ) had to say after his last fight.

On the subject of hilarious, Kalle Sauerland. There needs to be a Hollywood movie based on him. He must surely be a writers dream. Rich, impeccably German kid, with that hilarious London accent when speaking English, no signs of it when speaking German. His perpetual coked up state, even when he's possibly not on he's got the sweats, his head moving everywhere, the occasional Hodgeson face rub and twitching like a mad fucker. It's a good thing the promoters don't get tested, because he'd be sitting next to Canelo with a 6 month ban. So wired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post

It's all about the nuances

Honestly though, boxing is a great sport.
Old 10-05-18, 09:33 AM   #7960
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Loved that AJ-Wlad documentary last night. Great stuff.

est1892 > General > General Sports