It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 23-11-08, 06:25 AM   #1
-V-
Paisley

Lennox Lewis

Lennox Lewis moved a step closer to a return to the boxing ring when he revealed that he could be tempted out of retirement for a 70m payday.

"If someone wants to pay me serious money, $100m or so, then I will fight again," he told the Mail on Sunday.

The former heavyweight champion, 43, has not fought since retaining his WBC title against Vitali Klitschko in 2003.

"I don't have to do this, I don't need money and my legacy speaks for itself. But boxing needs me," said Lewis.

"The heavyweight game is so boring now. All the characters are gone.

"It would have to be nearer $100m to make me say yes, but there are people out there who can get that kind of money together.

"There are a lot of people who would pay to see me fight again. It would be exciting, for the sport and for me. And if I come back it will be to win, not play."

Lewis insisted that he was not falling into the trap of so many before him, by coming back for the wrong reasons.

Instead, he said any comeback would be based purely on a love of the sport.

"Boxers usually come back or continue fighting for two reasons," said Lewis, who retired with a record of 41 wins, two losses and a draw.

"Either the atmosphere of the crowd or the money. Me? I don't need either, I'm happy as I am. "But I think the sport needs me and I love my sport. And I don't like seeing it the way it is. I would like to save my sport."

In recent weeks, heavyweights Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe have announced comebacks.

Vitali Klitschko, who himself came out of retirement to reclaim the WBC heavyweight belt last month, is a potential opponent should Lewis be tempted back.

But Lewis, in Las Vegas for Ricky Hatton's bout with Paulie Malignaggi, told Sky Box Office: "He should fight his brother (Wladimir) first, then I'll think about coming back."

-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 23-11-08, 12:30 PM   #2
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

He wont be back, its just words, hence the ridiculous price he mentions.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-08, 12:44 PM   #3
Darth Marty
Quite Contrary

Its all press bollocks -

Lennox Lewis, the former world heavyweight champion, has played down reports that a 70 million offer to fight Vitali Klitschko would tempt him out of retirement.

Interviewed in Las Vegas, where he watched Ricky Hatton defeat Paulie Malignaggi this morning, the 43-year-old Briton, was quoting as saying a 100m purse would persuade him to fight Klitschko, the Russian who holds the WBC heavyweight title.

However, he told the BBC this morning that the likelihood of him returning to the ring was slim. "Nobody has made any offers, I've been there and done that," he said. "I don't think there is any offer that would get me back in the ring."

Lewis quit boxing after retaining his WBC title against Klitschko in 2003. The Russian said recently that he would be interested in a re-match, but Lewis is not interested. "I've accomplished all my goals," he said. "Vladimir Klitscho has me on his mind, which is great but I don't see myself coming back, no.

"The amount quoted is a lot of money so a lot of people would be looking at me and saying 'Are you mad?'. Money doesn't really inspire me. It's all about the glory. What glory is there coming back and facing a man I've already beaten?

"The reasons he's calling me back is for selfish reasons and he needs to create his own legacy and go and fight all the necessary people that he needs to fight."
Darth Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-08, 01:50 AM   #4
Joe King
Hodgsoned

He said he would only fight Vitali Klitscho if he fought his brother
Joe King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-08, 03:16 PM   #5
Parm
Skipinder

like fuck he'll come back. He's a clever guy, has made his legacy, made his money, kept his health and retired champion.

"Who's your Daddy now?"

LFC Champions one season someday
Jurgen Klopp is just boss
Semi retired poster
twitter: @parmsahota
insta:@parm78
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 10:46 PM   #6
sniffer
Evans

Can't see him coming back to be honest
Old 29-11-08, 11:34 AM   #7
Tee
El Pistolero

He is an absolutely huge bastard now, so if he did ever come back it should only be in the WWE lol.
Old 29-11-08, 10:35 PM   #8
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Like an extra 70m is going to make a difference to him. the guy was getting 20m plus per fight when he was at the top. The guy has cemented his place along the greatest of all time and will not be doing a comeback.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-08, 01:10 AM   #9
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by looprevil View Post
He is an absolutely huge bastard now, so if he did ever come back it should only be in the WWE lol.
[Milky][/Milky]
Joe King is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports