It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 03-10-19, 01:21 PM   #3841
Irishnev
Shankly

Finished 35-0 but it was hard work - we need a bonus point vs Samoa now
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 08:02 PM   #3842
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Ireland 'only' 28-0 up after an hr versus Russia. We look skocking, handling errors all over the shop and poor decisions.

We look a shadow of the team that beat Scotland. I'm not sure why the roof has to be closed because the conditions make the ball like a bar of soap

From memory the decision to have all the roofs closed was made by World Rugby before the tournament started, presumably so there wouldn't be disagreement between the teams about open or shut once it got going.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 09:09 PM   #3843
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
From memory the decision to have all the roofs closed was made by World Rugby before the tournament started, presumably so there wouldn't be disagreement between the teams about open or shut once it got going.
Ya they were talking about it during the commentary - they said it was about 5c warmer inside the stadium and it made no sense to them. As you said it was agreed pre tournament.....it has made it hard for Irish lads in that humidity
Old 04-10-19, 10:36 AM   #3844
Zapater
Dalglish

Sergio Parisse back for this, should be a good one. Going to try to simultaneously stream the cricket and rugby whilst at my desk without anyone noticing and still keeping to my deadlines.

The times of games for this WC haven't been ideal for people in the centre of the world. At least in the 07 WC when I was in Australia/NZ I could watch games early morning before the day. Games taking place in the mornings/early afternoons during working times is so inconvenient.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 05:14 PM   #3845
RichC
Meh

Sounds like the weather might play havoc with the games this weekend.

Reading the BBC if the Scotland vs Japan game gets called off the result is taken as a scoreless draw.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 05:44 PM   #3846
Cormack74
Shankly

Uh oh Buzzo.
Old 09-10-19, 06:04 AM   #3847
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Sounds like the weather might play havoc with the games this weekend.

Reading the BBC if the Scotland vs Japan game gets called off the result is taken as a scoreless draw.
We have the same threat over our game vs Samoa - Ireland being knocked out by inclement weather is the most Ireland World Cup scenario I can think of
Old 09-10-19, 06:30 AM   #3848
bacon
Houllier

Quote:
We have the same threat over our game vs Samoa - Ireland being knocked out by inclement weather is the most Ireland World Cup scenario I can think of
That's nuts - I understand they can relocate to other venues - surely that's the better option ?
Old 09-10-19, 08:39 AM   #3849
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
That's nuts - I understand they can relocate to other venues - surely that's the better option ?
They need to see - still a bit woolly on info around that
Old 09-10-19, 09:44 PM   #3850
Cormack74
Shankly

Apparently significant loss of power is a major issue there in these situations, even if some of the grounds are out of the direct line of the storm.
Old 10-10-19, 01:02 AM   #3851
bacon
Houllier

Quote:
Apparently significant loss of power is a major issue there in these situations, even if some of the grounds are out of the direct line of the storm.
True - I lived in Tokyo for 2 years - earthquakes & typhoons are the norm and most are navigated well. Looks like Scotland may be the big loser - it would be killer to get booted from the RWC with the QFs in sight because of a storm. For a critical game like that they should do what it takes to put the match on. Either a delay or another venue would be preferable ..
Old 10-10-19, 06:44 AM   #3852
Irishnev
Shankly

Fuck

Old 10-10-19, 07:03 AM   #3853
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
OFF: England v France and New Zealand v Italy (Saturday).

ON: Ireland v Samoa (11:45 BST, Sat) and Australia v Georgia (Fri) both set to go ahead.

ON AS IT STANDS: All four Sunday games - including Scotland v Japan (11:45 BST) - but a review will be made on Sunday morning depending on the damage caused by the typhoon.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49995604
Old 10-10-19, 08:16 AM   #3854
Zapater
Dalglish

That's a shame, was looking forward to a WC instalment of le Crunch.

Would really be a shame if the fate of teams is decided by the weather rather than what happens on the pitch. Happened to SA many a time in cricket and it's definitely the worst.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 10:44 AM   #3855
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It’s Scotland that are going to miss out here isn’t it
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 04:49 PM   #3856
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Itís Scotland that are going to miss out here isnít it
You could get stitched up and I fully believe Scotland were going to beat Japan
Old 10-10-19, 05:59 PM   #3857
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
You could get stitched up and I fully believe Scotland were going to beat Japan

Really

It's unfortunate but I think the result would have been way too close to call TBH.

If they play i.e. if the weather clears sufficiently the temperature is going to be in the 20's. I don't see Scotland thriving in that environment

At least this way Scotland came claim for time immemorial that they were robbed / would have gone on to win the world cup etc etc and don't have to face the actual pain of loss and deflation.

A bit like Everton after the English club ban which meant they missed out on the European Cup.

Of course if they play and the Scots win then I'll be the first one on here offering my congrats.
Old 10-10-19, 06:20 PM   #3858
RichC
Meh

I fully expect Japan to turn over Scotland tbh if the game takes place much like the Irish.

Unfortunate if they do go out like this but it’s happened to Italy as well
Old 10-10-19, 06:32 PM   #3859
ChesterDave
Paisley

Don't follow rugby as much as football but have the authorities faced similar criticism for opting for Japanese typhoon season in the same way FIFA did for 50 degree heat in Qatar. Seems a mad decision on the face of it
Old 10-10-19, 08:59 PM   #3860
Cormack74
Shankly

I really can't recall it being much discussed when the tournament was announced but then I can't always remember what I've had for lunch these days either

There's obviously loads of criticism now with hindsight and the rugby boards are calling it the worst WC ever (I think it was one of the best ever last week, but such is the world of social media and the internet).

Anyway the rationale for the timing was that it's pretty much the only time the competition could be held but even football seems to have managed to deal with that however unpopular the decision to move the WC to a different time slot.

And they were very keen to hold the tournament in Asia I believe since Japan is the third biggest rugby economy behind France and England so presumably a nice little earner for World Rugby.
Old 10-10-19, 09:34 PM   #3861
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I don't think disruptive/destructive typhoons are as guaranteed an event as a hot day in Qatar. We've already passed peak typhoon season in Japan apparently, and even then, they only get about three typhoons a year on the main islands, so this is just bad luck.
Old 10-10-19, 10:15 PM   #3862
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I don't think disruptive/destructive typhoons are as guaranteed an event as a hot day in Qatar. We've already passed peak typhoon season in Japan apparently, and even then, they only get about three typhoons a year on the main islands, so this is just bad luck.

I went to Qatar at a time of year when hot dry days were "guaranteed" and it rained hard every other day for the whole week
Old 11-10-19, 05:43 AM   #3863
frank the tank
Shankly

Farcical stuff from World Rugby.

In reality, they've just made their tournament a load of bullshit. They can't change the weather but they should have played the games in different locations behind closed doors.

If England....or France....win their quarter final games by a couple of points, then their opponents can quite rightly say "well ye had 2 weeks to prepare as opposed to one," and with such s physical game, that makes so much difference.

If a team wins the tournament having had to play one game less, well that's just bullshit
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 07:16 AM   #3864
RichC
Meh

If you feel that strongly I’d boycott it that’ll show them
Old 11-10-19, 08:35 AM   #3865
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Shit happens though, doesn't it? It's not a life or death issue, and the difference between not playing and playing and associated match practice and momentum isn't exactly clear. The situation is what it is, whining, legal threats, etc are disappointing.
Old 11-10-19, 11:52 AM   #3866
RichC
Meh

Scots talking of taking legal action ffs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50011693
Old 11-10-19, 02:09 PM   #3867
Cormack74
Shankly

Clearly they are going to be disappointed if this remains unresolved (or isn't resolved to their satisfaction) but they signed up to the terms of the competition which apparently included a section on cancellations.

So although it's all a bit shit, those would appear to be the rules.
Old 11-10-19, 03:39 PM   #3868
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

They can do an Everton and pretend they were a shoo-in to win it if they'd be allowed.
Old 12-10-19, 10:41 AM   #3869
Irishnev
Shankly

Seeing the pictures from where Scotland are due to play Japan......flooding everywhere and it would be v surprising if the game goes ahead
Old 12-10-19, 11:10 AM   #3870
RichC
Meh

I’d be amazed if it goes ahead. Just can’t see how it’ll be safe to play the game
Old 12-10-19, 12:27 PM   #3871
Irishnev
Shankly

Ireland were coasting at 21 nil up. We’ve just had our center Bundee Aki sent off and now 21-5. Not sure it warranted a red card but can understand why he gave it.

We are cursed when it comes to the World Cup
Old 12-10-19, 12:36 PM   #3872
Irishnev
Shankly

Bonus point try got before half time - we just need to hold on with 14 men

26-5 up
Old 12-10-19, 01:44 PM   #3873
Irishnev
Shankly

Comfortable bonus point win

Come on Scotland and the weather
Old 12-10-19, 03:12 PM   #3874
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
It is all of that, but itís also a joke when alternatives are available. Including playing behind closed doors.

There is a vested interest in a successful tournament for the Japanese. Based on the dubious decisions in the build up to their BP try v Samoa. They are a great team but if we go out without getting to strike a blow and without being able to fulfill the fixture it devalues the tournament.

4 years build up and the last WC game for a lot of our players would be a really shit way to go out, the injustice of 2015 still burning away with some of us.
Old 12-10-19, 03:28 PM   #3875
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

No way alternatives wouldn’t be being sought for the All blacks for example.
Old 12-10-19, 07:23 PM   #3876
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
It is all of that, but itís also a joke when alternatives are available. Including playing behind closed doors.

There is a vested interest in a successful tournament for the Japanese. Based on the dubious decisions in the build up to their BP try v Samoa. They are a great team but if we go out without getting to strike a blow and without being able to fulfill the fixture it devalues the tournament.

4 years build up and the last WC game for a lot of our players would be a really shit way to go out, the injustice of 2015 still burning away with some of us.
They played the host card well in terms of gaps between games, stadium selection and some interesting on field decisions. They deserved to beat us but having read interviews with some of the Irish lads they were out of breadth after 20 mins due to the v high humidity compounded by a closed roof.

Iíd say itís v unlikely the game will go ahead and I genuinely think Scotland would have won. Itís not Japanís fault over the weather but as Buzzo said this would such an anti climax for some of those lads whoíve geared themselves towards this for the last few years.
Old 12-10-19, 07:23 PM   #3877
Cormack74
Shankly

The All Blacks game was cancelled too Buzzo.
Old 12-10-19, 07:50 PM   #3878
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:

The All Blacks game was cancelled too Buzzo.
They'd already qualified for the quarters.
Old 12-10-19, 07:55 PM   #3879
RichC
Meh

They had but by cancelling their game it also meant Italy haven’t been able to qualify either.
Old 12-10-19, 09:26 PM   #3880
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
They'd already qualified for the quarters.

I think my comment is factually correct in response to what Buzzo posted mate.

est1892 > General > General Sports