It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 10-10-19, 02:43 PM   #3721
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Best Brazilian forward since Pele.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 02:51 PM   #3722
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Best Brazilian forward since Pele.
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 03:05 PM   #3723
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 10-10-19, 11:54 PM   #3724
BigChief
Paisley

Tell me they didn't play in Brazil. Or Senegal.
Old 11-10-19, 12:59 AM   #3725
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
Tell me they didn't play in Brazil. Or Senegal.
Singapore
Old 11-10-19, 08:45 AM   #3726
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

FFS
Old 23-10-19, 11:13 PM   #3727
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Oh Mane, Mane

What an assist from Bobby this would have been. Sadio has to score it.

Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 02:01 AM   #3728
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

That should get him a few extra votes in the Ballon d'or
Old 24-10-19, 09:45 AM   #3729
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He's an unbelievable player. I think he's reaching Bergkamp levels.
Old 24-10-19, 11:22 AM   #3730
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
He's an unbelievable player. I think he's reaching Bergkamp levels.
Not quite as good but that's a great comparison
Old 24-10-19, 11:30 AM   #3731
Maxiedge
Shankly

erm, penalty anyone? (for push on Mane)

Also, go here for better quality: https://imgur.com/a/qalvOYt

Last edited by Maxiedge; 24-10-19 at 11:33 AM.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 11:32 AM   #3732
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Yeah good comparison. Bergkamp had nowhere near Bobby's workrate though.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 12:29 PM   #3733
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Bergkamp was fucking amazing. One of my favourite ever non LFC players.

It is a decent comparison.
Old 24-10-19, 12:45 PM   #3734
SB
Paisley

Arsenal had a great side back then too. I thought we were getting the Finish version of Bergkamp in Jari but that didn’t go to plan.
Old 24-10-19, 01:11 PM   #3735
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

You know you're old when the son of a player you watched at a World Cup (94) at drinking age is on the pitch against your team.

Gheorghe Hagi - what a wand of a left foot.
Old 24-10-19, 07:08 PM   #3736
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Is it my imagination or is Bobby becoming more Brazilian every season. What a joy to watch him

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 07:24 PM   #3737
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
Is it my imagination or is Bobby becoming more Brazilian every season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
He was looking for some ack-sheyun, but all he found were flicks and tricks and football.
Old 24-10-19, 07:29 PM   #3738
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

3/10. Doesn't scan. You need an extra syllable in the last line.
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 07:32 PM   #3739
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveloy View Post
3/10. Doesn't scan. You need an extra syllable in the last line.
Foot-boh-all
Old 24-10-19, 07:33 PM   #3740
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Footaball
Old 24-10-19, 07:33 PM   #3741
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 26-10-19, 11:31 PM   #3742
baitman
Daddy day care

http://twitter.com/_benhibbert/statu...894364160?s=20

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
Old 27-10-19, 08:04 AM   #3743
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Getting lazy in your old age there Baitman

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-19, 05:18 PM   #3744
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Getting lazy in your old age there Baitman

https://twitter.com/_benhibbert/stat...36967894364160
Im not an aficionado of the tweeters, i come across it on fightbook.
Twitter links are all greek to me.

Old 27-10-19, 09:09 PM   #3745
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Im not an aficionado of the tweeters, i come across it on fightbook.
Twitter links are all greek to me.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-19, 06:42 PM   #3746
Marina
Marooned

Enjoyed reading this. Hope he goes back and sees his old coach. https://www.theguardian.com/football...azil-liverpool

The making of Roberto Firmino, by his earliest mentors in Brazil

On a mundane Monday in 2001, Adriana Leite was sitting in her classroom in Maceió, a city on Brazil’s northeast coast. As usual, there was a timid but pleasant boy called Roberto at the desk nearest to hers. She asked him how his weekend had been. When he said that the electricity in his home had been off all weekend, she was worried and asked the 10-year-old what had happened to his family’s food.

Smiling, as if it was normal, he said there was nothing in the fridge, so nothing could go off. “When he told me that he had nothing in his fridge at home, it made me very sad,” Leite recalls. “He was so young, always so shy and his answer surprised me. What did he mean there was nothing in the fridge? I always remembered Roberto because of that – that skinny little lad who sat next to my desk and talked about football.”

Leite, who is still a teacher, had no idea she would be telling this story nearly 20 years later. Her routine that year was to talk to that shy boy about football and his studies. She always asked him to focus on his education, but sometimes he would disobey her, bunking off to play football on the little dirt pitches dotted around the neighbourhood of Trapiche.

That truancy, though ill-advised, paid off. At 13, Firmino joined the youth team of one of the two local clubs, CRB, who currently play in Brazil’s second tier. He initially wore the No 5 shirt, which in Brazil is reserved for the most defensive midfielder. When required, he even played as a defender.

Firmino stood out immediately for the way he struck the ball, but he was very quiet and rarely opened up to his colleagues. “Firmino was a very humble boy but very talented,” says his former coach, Guilherme Farias. “As soon as I saw him play, I made him sign a contract because I knew we had an ace on our hands. He was very dedicated. He listened to all the instructions. Everyone liked him. His family had some financial difficulties at the time and we pulled together, helping him to train and travel with the team.”

The young Firmino travelled the northeast of Brazil playing in interstate championships and went to São Paulo for an important national tournament. There is one story from their travels together that Farias likes to recount, because, for him, it shows the innocence of the boy. “We were all playing football at the hotel, playing keepie-uppie, and the ball dropped to the feet of Firmino, who made a mistake. He broke a window, but he said they would buy a new window and put it in. You have to be like that. If you make a mistake, correct it. Firmino bought a window, we installed it and off we went.”

Firmino was given a big break in 2008, when another CRB youth coach, Toninho Almeida, rang his friend – the Atlético Mineiro player Bilú – and told him he needed to see the youngster play. Toninho sent a DVD of Firmino in action and the clips caught Bilú’s eye. Through his contacts, Bilú arranged a trial at São Paulo, the reigning league champions at the time.

Firmino didn’t make it at São Paulo, but he struck up a friendship with Bilú, who managed to organise a trial at another of his former clubs, Figueirense. This time Firmino’s talent was recognised. “He was very poorly assessed by São Paulo,” says Bilú. “He had too little time training with the ball. He didn’t pass the trials but, fair enough, I took him to Figueirense. I had already played there and knew people, so I managed to get him another chance. It was there that he really blossomed. He was already very talented, but the experiences in Série B helped him immensely.”

Bilú was with Firmino when he signed his first professional contract at Figueirense; they played together when Bilú returned to the club in 2010; and they remain friends to this day. “I’m the godfather to his daughters, I was the best man at his wedding and we speak practically every week. He carries on being very quiet, but he loosens up with his friends. He is a very nice guy, who has evolved a lot. He played as a defensive midfielder or defender, then in central midfield with me and today he’s a striker. He’s really intelligent. I think he’s the most interesting player to watch for Liverpool,” says Bilú, who has retired from playing and now works as a coach.

The move south to Figueirense worked out well for Firmino. The club are based in Florianópolis in the southeast of the country, an area more popular with scouts and agents then the remote northeast. After helping Figueirense earn promotion to the top flight, Firmino moved to Hoffenheim to make his name in Europe. His star has only risen since.

He lifted the first silverware of his career this year, becoming a champion of Europe with Liverpool and a champion of South America with Brazil. He is the top scoring Brazilian in the history of the Premier League and has 41 caps for the national team. For his school teacher Leite, though, it took a long time for the penny to drop. For a long time she did not realise that the man on the TV with the yellow and green shirt on his back and the broad, white grin on his face was the same Roberto who studied at the Maria Rita Lyra de Almeida school almost two decades ago. Their paths had crossed in the interim – they met at Maceió airport and he posed for photos with her kids – but Leite had no idea that he was the boy she had taught.

But last year, just before the World Cup in Russia, she received a call from the headteacher and was asked if Roberto Firmino, the footballer, had been her student. “We did some research and discovered that he was my Roberto,” she says, “My kids didn’t believe he was my student – a lot of people didn’t. I started to remember the anecdotes and it made me very happy, because he managed to get out of a very difficult reality, a dangerous one, to conquer the world through sport – as he wished.”

After that discovery, she wanted the opportunity to meet him again. A friend of Leite’s eldest son saw that Firmino was having a get-together in Maceió, so they called round. “We got there out of the blue and obviously nobody would let us in the house just to talk to Roberto,” she recalls. “But my youngest son really wanted to meet him, so [Firmino’s] cousin picked up my son and took him inside the house. He saw Roberto and wanted to cry. Roberto turned around and started to chat and joke around. After that, Roberto came out of the house, received us and took photos. He made our day.”

For Guilherme Farias, the man who first took Firmino to CRB, the desire to see his former player remains unfulfilled. Farias has worked in football for more than 30 years and feels privileged to have coached some of the most highly regarded players from the state of Alagoas – including former Real Madrid centre-back Pepe and Real Sociedad striker Willian José. But one regret remains: that he has never seen any of them again. “I’m delighted by the success of Firmino because he came through here,” says Farias. “When he does well, I thank God. He very much deserves it. I’d just like to meet him and talk a little, because things are difficult here.”
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-19, 09:55 PM   #3747
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

What a great article. Thanks for posting.
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 12:03 AM   #3748
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Just came in to post that!
Old 30-10-19, 04:11 AM   #3749
BG1973
Fagan

Somewhat negative closing line...
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 04:59 AM   #3750
topscorer
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
Somewhat negative closing line...

That's what I thought.

Not returning to visit his original coach at any point in his career seems a bit off if true
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 06:45 PM   #3751
Angryred
Dalglish

Seems to me that the guy in the last line is looking for some a££reciation!
Old 11-11-19, 05:32 PM   #3752
baitman
Daddy day care

My 7 year old daughter has just shouted down from her room (playing with a world globe) asking 'where is Brazil, i want to see where Bobby comes from'

Proud dad

Old 12-11-19, 12:10 PM   #3753
SB
Paisley

Quote:
My 7 year old daughter has just shouted down from her room (playing with a world globe) asking 'where is Brazil, i want to see where Bobby comes from'

Proud dad
Old 24-11-19, 03:18 AM   #3754
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

He was fucking great yesterday. So much of what he does is missed on the telly. Full of flicks, tricks and hard work
Old 24-11-19, 03:30 AM   #3755
Harv
Randy Marsh

And missing easy chances. Lucky he made up for it at the end. I was absolutely steaming at him for fucking up that easy chance one on one with their keeper to make it 2-0.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 09:27 AM   #3756
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
And missing easy chances. Lucky he made up for it at the end. I was absolutely steaming at him for fucking up that easy chance one on one with their keeper to make it 2-0.
But I was confident he's get another chance, same with Mane.
Old 26-11-19, 10:55 AM   #3757
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Obviously he's amazing and we love him, but he's due a few more goals surely. He's only got 4 this season, at a rate of worse than 1 in 3, and my fuckin Christmas tree's going on up on Sunday
Old 26-11-19, 11:08 AM   #3758
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

This is cos I went full fanboi and got a top with him on the back. Gay I know, but gotta ride this #6 / top of league wave somehow.

My Xmas tree is also going up Sunday, same day as missus moves in.
Old 26-11-19, 11:10 AM   #3759
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

He should have at least another I can think of tbf. How many of his goals have been winners?
Old 26-11-19, 11:10 AM   #3760
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboklopp View Post
This is cos I went full fanboi and got a top with him on the back. Gay I know, but gotta ride this #6 / top of league wave somehow.

My Xmas tree is also going up Sunday, same day as missus moves in.
I've got my new missus helping me put mine up. Not fucking moving in yet though

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC