It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 11-10-06, 01:15 PM   #1
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Calzaghe

Has said he doesn't want his next fight (after Saturday's mis-match against Bika) to be in the USA.

How the fuck can he expect to be taken seriously when he's refusing to go to the other side of the pond? I know he's the champ and all that but if you really want to make it big in boxing then you MUST go to the states?

He's always giving it the big I am, and now he only want's to fight in Cardiff. If he's got so much ability and self-belief then he should get his welsh arris over to the USA and fight one of their top dogs in their own back yard. Maybe - just maybe - he'll then get the recognition that he keeps telling us he deserves.

I'm disappointed in him.

H
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 11-10-06, 01:19 PM   #2
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Seems a very strange decision. Professional suicide, no?
Old 11-10-06, 01:30 PM   #3
Hollowman
Paisley

He's never travelled. And after the demolition of Lacy, and the fact that Europe has better super mids than America, I don't see why people shouldn't travel to fight him.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 02:15 PM   #4
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

Calzaghe is fuckin brilliant. Hes better than all the yank fighters put together and its nice for once to have a fighter with the status to be able to demand that they come to us for a change. Best british fighter ive seen, and theres been some fuckin gooduns. Henry Cooper, Nigel Benn, Ricky Hatton etc.
Calzaghe for me outshines them all and absolutely shits all over anything the yanks have to offer
paulcooper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 02:26 PM   #5
spud_gun
Paisley

IMO he can do whatever the fk he wants. He's been champion for 9 {?} years. He's undefeated. He's got the right to fight whoever and wherever he wants

spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 02:32 PM   #6
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

I know next to fuck all about boxing but Calzaghe is a top fella outside the ring, very down to earth and as far removed from the 'big I am' as you can get.

Ring Magazine Top 10 lb-for-lb

Last edited by Red_Polo; 11-10-06 at 02:34 PM.
Red_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 05:16 PM   #7
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcooper4
Calzaghe is fuckin brilliant. Hes better than all the yank fighters put together and its nice for once to have a fighter with the status to be able to demand that they come to us for a change. Best british fighter ive seen, and theres been some fuckin gooduns. Henry Cooper, Nigel Benn, Ricky Hatton etc.
Calzaghe for me outshines them all and absolutely shits all over anything the yanks have to offer
I agree he's brilliant - well he was against Lacy anyway. Totally superb.
What I can't understand is his reluctance to go to the states If he want's to go down as one of the greats then I feel he must go over there. I know he's been world champ for 9 years but with the exception of Eubank and Lacy - who has he really fought?? The career defining fight he's always craved hasn't really materialised (Lacy excepted?) and now his refusal to travel is putting yet more blocks on the path to his career defining fight. IMO he's coming to the end of his career so he should be taking every opportunity open to him to achieve his goals.
You mention Benn and Hatton Coops - both of these went over to the states - Calzaghe should do the same or he'll be remembered as a great fighter who never really fullfilled his dream/potential.
Old 11-10-06, 05:51 PM   #8
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_lfc
I agree he's brilliant - well he was against Lacy anyway. Totally superb.
What I can't understand is his reluctance to go to the states If he want's to go down as one of the greats then I feel he must go over there. I know he's been world champ for 9 years but with the exception of Eubank and Lacy - who has he really fought?? The career defining fight he's always craved hasn't really materialised (Lacy excepted?) and now his refusal to travel is putting yet more blocks on the path to his career defining fight. IMO he's coming to the end of his career so he should be taking every opportunity open to him to achieve his goals.
You mention Benn and Hatton Coops - both of these went over to the states - Calzaghe should do the same or he'll be remembered as a great fighter who never really fullfilled his dream/potential.
I can see what your saying mate, I just dont agree. What you are saying about him not going over to the states only enhances him in my eyes. Make them fuckers come over here for a change. I wish lewis had of done it also, and ricky should do the same. If these yank fucks want to get twatted by the best then they can get off there arse and fly over here for the honour. HE is the champ remeember. And he has fought everyone who has stuck around to fight him. Ive lost count of the number of fighters down the years that have moved weight just so joe couldnt knock twelve kinds of shit out of them
Old 11-10-06, 07:07 PM   #9
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Has said he doesn't want his next fight (after Saturday's mis-match against Bika) to be in the USA.

How the fuck can he expect to be taken seriously when he's refusing to go to the other side of the pond? I know he's the champ and all that but if you really want to make it big in boxing then you MUST go to the states?

He's always giving it the big I am, and now he only want's to fight in Cardiff. If he's got so much ability and self-belief then he should get his welsh arris over to the USA and fight one of their top dogs in their own back yard. Maybe - just maybe - he'll then get the recognition that he keeps telling us he deserves.

I'm disappointed in him.

H
I agree Howard.
If he wants to remembered as a true great then he has to go to the states, all the big fights are over there and the big pay days, he will be remembered in Britain as a great fighter but not world wide. That is ofcourse until he goes to the states and proves his worth.
I really can't understand it myself. Hatton could have taken the easy road and decided to fight every fight in Manchester, but wanted to prove himself as one of the greats, that is what you have to do these days.

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

* After Tommy Lawrence had let in a fluke goal between his legs
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 07:32 PM   #10
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

I don't see why he should have to go to the States. All the best fighters in his weight class are in Europe, not in America. If he was a challenger then he would need to travel to wherever the next highest contender was, but the guy is the best at his weight class and those who want to go after his belt, should dance to his tune with regards to where the fights take place.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 09:44 PM   #11
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious
I don't see why he should have to go to the States. All the best fighters in his weight class are in Europe, not in America. If he was a challenger then he would need to travel to wherever the next highest contender was, but the guy is the best at his weight class and those who want to go after his belt, should dance to his tune with regards to where the fights take place.
Why be big in Wales when you can be big all over the world?

After all - Tom Jones didn't say "Ahh fuck it boyo, I'm the best. If these people wanna hear me sing - they can get off their fat arses and get over to Abergaveny Town Hall like the rest of my fans. Isn't it."

Think of any great world champion - and I'll be you a pound to a bucket of shit he plied his trade in the states. But not Joe - he's happy to box at home - where he's comfortable - against some bloke called Bika who 99% of the boxing world has never heard of. If he's happy with that then fine - but don't let him kid us when he retires that he was ever 'great' - because it won't wash mate. Think of the calibre of fighters Benn fought and then compare to Calzaghe's. Calzaghe might even be a better fighter than Benn ever was - but Benn was a great fighter coz he would fight anybody, anywhere. Unlike joe - who'll fight anybody, so long as it's at home.
Old 11-10-06, 09:50 PM   #12
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

so youre not a calzaghe fan then?
Old 11-10-06, 09:59 PM   #13
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
so youre not a calzaghe fan then?
He's missed too many fights for me. Too many good fights have slipped by the wayside (Roy Jones, Steve Collins, Glencoffe Johnson) and he's fought too many fella's that I've never heard of.

Having said that - the performance against Lacy was monumental - and I just can't understand why he wouldn't want to follow it up against a really top fighter rather than somebody who's already lost to Beyer (who Calzaghe would beat with ease).

For me - he's beaten some good fighters and the odd very good fighter. Has he ever fought a great fighter? I don't think so.
Old 11-10-06, 10:09 PM   #14
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

I think he's right to stay in this country and I don't see why he should have to travel to the states. He's the linear Champ at the weight and people should have to chase him. If he ended up fighting the winner of Beyer and Kessler for all 4 Super-midd titles at the MEN would you complain? I wouldn't!
kurtangle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 10:33 PM   #15
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtangle01
I think he's right to stay in this country and I don't see why he should have to travel to the states. He's the linear Champ at the weight and people should have to chase him. If he ended up fighting the winner of Beyer and Kessler for all 4 Super-midd titles at the MEN would you complain? I wouldn't!
People probably wouldnt complain Kurt, and if he did achieve that, then nice one.
But he should atleast represent himself over in the states.
Look at Hatton, There is someone who is not afraid to travel despite having argueably a more passionate following than Calzaghe. He wants to conquer the boxing world. there is more money to be made fighting in America through pay per view etc.
Just looking through the division, there isnt really as many world class names as other divisions. This Bika chap isnt even in the top 10.

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

Old 11-10-06, 11:10 PM   #16
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza76
People probably wouldnt complain Kurt, and if he did achieve that, then nice one.
But he should atleast represent himself over in the states.
Look at Hatton, There is someone who is not afraid to travel despite having argueably a more passionate following than Calzaghe. He wants to conquer the boxing world. there is more money to be made fighting in America through pay per view etc.
Just looking through the division, there isnt really as many world class names as other divisions. This Bika chap isnt even in the top 10.
The division isn't littered with star names but there are alot of good fighters in it. I would love to see Calzaghe win on Saturday then face the winner of this weekend other Super-Middleweight title fight. If he could face the winner of that and unify all 4 major titles as well as holding the IBO title on top of that I don't see what he has to prove.

There is obviously a lot of notoriety to be gained by fighting in the states but I don't think it's essential for a fighters legacy that he fights in America. We should be grateful that he's choosing to stay in this country where we can attend his fights or at least watch them at a reasonable hour on T.V.

Hatton will do well in the states but part of that reason is because all the top names in his division are established there where as alot of the top fighters in the Super-Middleweight division are based in Europe.

Last edited by kurtangle01; 11-10-06 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 12:36 AM   #17
Hollowman
Paisley

I'm with Kurt. And you know how that makes me mad.

Calzaghe has nothing to prove. If Americans don't rate him because he never pitched up in their yard to fight some nobody, then fine. The biggest fight out there for him, in terms of quality opposition, is the winner of Kessler-Beyer. The Yanks have nobody. Allen Green? Joe Spina? Please. They're just transatlantic Carl Frochs.

The only way Calzaghe gets a big American fight is if he steps up to fight Johnson or Jones, both of whom are heading downhill, or Taylor steps up (too late in Winky's career to start fucking with Super Mids I think). If Taylor steps up, then that's a fight I'd like to see.

By the way, Winky-Quartey? Fuck's that about? This compensation after the Forrest debacle?
Old 13-10-06, 12:05 PM   #18
bazza76
Paisley

Well considering there isnt much world class ability in the weight division, then he will get away with not fighting in the states.
If there was however, I think it would be rather soft of him to stay at home all the time.
Personally I like to see world class boxers being able to travel and beat other fighters in their won backyard, not always fighting at home with their supporters behind them.

Old 13-10-06, 01:15 PM   #19
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Well considering there isnt much world class ability in the weight division, then he will get away with not fighting in the states.
If there was however, I think it would be rather soft of him to stay at home all the time.
Personally I like to see world class boxers being able to travel and beat other fighters in their won backyard, not always fighting at home with their supporters behind them.

Yes there is not a lot of genuine worldclass talent in the division, but those that are world class or close to it are all either from or based in Europe, so why would he need to go to the States when the top fighters are in Europe. The Super middleweights in the States are nowhere near the class of Europe, so other than media exposure, there is no great gain to fighting over there, it is not as though he needs American approval to be considered the best at his weight, which he is.

Roy Jones is a classic example of a fighter not willing to travel and beat other fighters in their own backyard, he fought a huge number of fights in his home state of Florida and a large amount of them were in his hometown of Pensacola. Jones is another who did not have a "great" fight to rubberstamp his greatness, but that is the fault of the quality in the division, much as it is the same now for Calzaghe.
Old 13-10-06, 03:22 PM   #20
Hollowman
Paisley

Jones had some great fights at 160/168. The scraps with Hopkins and Toney would surely count as career definers for anyone else.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 13-10-06, 03:33 PM   #21
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
Dont fuckin' waver bazza!

Chicken Joe should be taking his skills to the world - not restricting them to those (un)fortunate enough to be in the Cardiff region.

Will I be supporting Chicken Joe tomorrow night? too right !
Old 13-10-06, 04:03 PM   #22
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman
Jones had some great fights at 160/168. The scraps with Hopkins and Toney would surely count as career definers for anyone else.

The Hopkins fight was a dour affair by anyones standards, both were more concerned with not losing than going for the win.

Beating James Toney was a great result, especially given Lights out's standing at the time, and the fact that Toney was a trim fighting machine back then, before he discovered how much he liked hamburgers. But that was not a career defining fight for Jones as a champ though, but it is not his fault that his skill and reflexes were so far ahead of those he chose to fight once he was champ.

But it could be argued that the Lacy, Eubank and Gimenez (who was well respected at the time) were defining fights for Calzaghe.

My point was that Jones is regarded as a great, and rightly so IMO, but he is as guilty as Calzaghe as being the type of Champ that does not travel and gets the challenger to come to him, again rightly so IMHO.

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 13-10-06 at 04:06 PM.
Old 13-10-06, 04:23 PM   #23
Taffy
Est's Devon Loch

Looking forward to the Calzaghe fight tomorrow night as I'm a big fan of his.

This decision to stay over here isn't ureasonable, in my opinion, but I DO think that one fight over in the States will finally give him that recognition he deserves - provided he fights a 'big name' rather than any Joe Bloggs from over there.

Saying that though, what gets me is how all the supposed 'names' in the 'boxing game' all believe that you can't really 'make it' until you win a big fight over there in the States. To me that's total bollox! Yes, a lot of the really big fights have taken place over there over the years but some have taken place over here in Europe too, don't forget! This idea that you MUST go over there to get 'recognised' is a load of old cobblers in my opinion, and on most occasions isn't it reasonable to have the challenger go into the 'lion's den' and face the champion instead of the other way around?! Joe's the real champ in his division so I don't see any reason why he can't expect the challengers to his belts come and fight him rather than the other way around!

Anyway, as has been said, the better fighters in his division are based in Europe these days so I don't see why Joe has to go over there to get the glory! If he steps up then yes, maybe, he needs to go over there and get a really big fight with one of the Americans, but as long as he stays in this division I don't see why he NEEDS to go over there.

There's also the need for Joe to fight the main contenders for his belts, meaning the mandatory challengers, so sometimes that, along with his well-known troubles with his hands, have come in the way of that really big fight he (and us) crave. What I don't like in the press sometimes is how they try to make out that Joe is the one ducking the big fights over recent years, for one reason or another - what people must remember is that on occasions it's the potential opponent that's to blame for the reason a fight doesn't happen due to them demanding a huge purse to fight Joe.

I hope he wins this weekend and finally gets that 'big fight' he deserves, whether it's here or in the States.
Taffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-06, 04:53 PM   #24
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Dont fuckin' waver bazza!

Chicken Joe should be taking his skills to the world - not restricting them to those (un)fortunate enough to be in the Cardiff region.

Will I be supporting Chicken Joe tomorrow night? too right !

Well it was getting hard to arge that he should be going to the states to fighters that he would probably make less money on, than fighting at home where he is a bigger pull.

Old 13-10-06, 06:50 PM   #25
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
He's fighting in Manchester tomorrow and last time I checked that city is nowhere near Cardiff!
Old 13-10-06, 06:56 PM   #26
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:

What's to say he wouldn't travel to the states if there was world class fighters in his division over there?

As it stands unless Bernard Hopkins decides to fight Joe then the biggest fight for Calzaghe is whoever wins between Markus Beyer and Mikel Kessler this weekend. I don't see the need for That fight, if it ever happens, to take place across the pond.

And when you consider that the Calzaghe fight is on HBO tomorrow night what's to say he isn't getting the exposure?
Old 13-10-06, 07:54 PM   #27
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
What's to say he wouldn't travel to the states if there was world class fighters in his division over there?

As it stands unless Bernard Hopkins decides to fight Joe then the biggest fight for Calzaghe is whoever wins between Markus Beyer and Mikel Kessler this weekend. I don't see the need for That fight, if it ever happens, to take place across the pond.

And when you consider that the Calzaghe fight is on HBO tomorrow night what's to say he isn't getting the exposure?
I see your point, but i wouldnt really call it big exposure. Nothing like getting top billing at a big Las Vegas event to grab the attention.

Old 13-10-06, 08:06 PM   #28
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
I see your point, but i wouldnt really call it big exposure. Nothing like getting top billing at a big Las Vegas event to grab the attention.

The only person I could see him fighting in Vegas would be Jermaine Taylor but I couldn't see Taylor relinquishing his titles to move up and fight Calzaghe.

Being on HBO after dark, which is the broadcast he is on, is huge exposure. It's the most watched boxing show in America. His fight is obviously on a tape delay because it's the main fight that HBO are showing on Saturday.
Old 13-10-06, 08:39 PM   #29
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
The only person I could see him fighting in Vegas would be Jermaine Taylor but I couldn't see Taylor relinquishing his titles to move up and fight Calzaghe.

Being on HBO after dark, which is the broadcast he is on, is huge exposure. It's the most watched boxing show in America. His fight is obviously on a tape delay because it's the main fight that HBO are showing on Saturday.

but i'm still not backing down

Old 13-10-06, 08:42 PM   #30
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

Quote:

You will if joe gets hold of yer
Old 13-10-06, 08:45 PM   #31
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:

Old 13-10-06, 08:45 PM   #32
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
You will if joe gets hold of yer
that over-rated pussy :whatever:
If only i was 100 times fitter and a few stone heavier id kick his ass.

Old 13-10-06, 08:46 PM   #33
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

Quote:
that over-rated pussy :whatever:
If only i was 100 times fitter and a few stone heavier id kick his ass.
hes boiling down now to meet you at pissflap weight
Old 13-10-06, 08:48 PM   #34
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/

Click the link bazza. That's what I call exposure!
Old 13-10-06, 08:48 PM   #35
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
hes boiling down now to meet you at pissflap weight

by the time he gets down to middleweight, i'll kick his ass

Old 13-10-06, 08:50 PM   #36
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:

He best put on a good show then.
He might get the big pay day he craves

Old 13-10-06, 08:51 PM   #37
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:

Ok ill conceed, i didnt now how much exposure he was getting in the states, and neither did you until you looked it up just then

Old 13-10-06, 08:53 PM   #38
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
He best put on a good show then.
He might get the big pay day he craves

Did you look at the site? HBO are bringing their full team here. Why go to the yanks if they'll come to him?

He always puts on a good show and I don't think he needs the payday!
Old 13-10-06, 08:54 PM   #39
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:
Ok ill conceed, i didnt now how much exposure he was getting in the states, and neither did you until you looked it up just then
I look at that site once a week!
Old 13-10-06, 08:57 PM   #40
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
I look at that site once a week!
yeah yeah.
Cant say i look at hbo site, i do look at fightnews.com and the official sites for UFC and Pride though.

est1892 > General > General Sports