It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 01-11-06, 07:45 PM   #1
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

boxing rule change

The WBC are to change the rules for scoring during the fight. The judges scorecards will be available during the fight so that those involved plus us punters will know how the judges are scoring the fight.

Not sure I like the idea meself. If a fighter knows he's well ahead with a couple of rounds to spare - he can 'coast' home. But if the same fighter still thinks he needs a round or so to be sure - then he'll fight more.

The details of the change are on the bbc website. Any comments?
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-11-06, 07:51 PM   #2
Hollowman
Paisley

I think the potential benefit outweighs the drawbacks. Think back to the way some of the rounds in the first Lewis-Holyfield fight were scored. If the judges knew that the score would be presented to the crowd immediately, they'd be less inclined to take liberties I reckon.

You point about coasting is taken though.

Personally, I don't like scoring. Rounds thirteen to fifteen used to seperate men from boys, even if a few did cark it. I'm not a massive fan of titles changing handsd on decisions anyway. I like the idea of to be the man you have to beat the man. Unconscious.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 08:32 PM   #3
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman
I like the idea of to be the man you have to beat the man. Unconscious.

For what it's worth I like the idea. Gives it a certain honesty.
Old 01-11-06, 09:40 PM   #4
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

I think that it should stop people thinking that scorecards can be fixed sometimes.

As I understand it though the rules are only going to be tested during a boxing card in China to see how they work and if they do then they will be eased in.

It's an excellent idea.
kurtangle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 10:07 PM   #5
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

I would agree that it is a good idea. It allows a fighter and his team to know exactly where they are in the fight. I agree that it might get a fight that is a few rounds ahead to coast, but then again that would add to the excitment, watching the other fighter clawing rounds back etc.

I must admit though, like Hollow, I miss 15 rounders, and whilst I appreciate the safety aspect of less rounds, there was something magical about hitting round 13 and above. Of course it is easy for me to say that I miss them when I am not in the ring having to dig deep.

On a different subject, I am a little curious as to how many boxers or ex-boxers we have on here, and were any of you any good? I fought at amateur level for a bit and fought to National level at super heavyweight and had a very very brief pro career (well 4 pro fights so not really a career) The biggest "name" that I would have met in a competitive match at amateur level was Kevin McBride, and have been a sparring partner for both Collins brothers, Steve and Paschall, Scot Welsh, Henry Akiwande(sp), Wank Bruno and Johnny Nelson, have sparred with some of the lesser lights too. Proudest out of ring moment was spending two days in George Foreman's company when he was guest of honour at the club I used to coach in, he was an amazing character and was very giving of his time. Lewis was another that I was really taken aback by when I met him, he is huge, very imposing, yet softly spoken and a gent. Favourite fighter is, and will alway be, Marvin Hagler.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 01-11-06 at 11:22 PM.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-06, 10:58 PM   #6
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious

On a different subject, I am a little curious as to how many boxers or ex-boxers we have on here, and were any of you any good? I fought at amateur level for a bit and fought to National level at super heavyweight and had a very very brief pro career (well 4 pro fights so not really a career) The biggest "name" that I would have met in a competitive match at amateur level was Kevin McBride, and have been a sparring partner for both Collins brothers, Steve and Paschall, Scot Welsh, Henry Akiwande(sp), Wank Bruno and Johnny Nelson, have sparred with some of the lesser lights too. Proudest out of ring moment was spending two days in George Foreman's when he was guest of honour at the club I used to coach in, he was an amazing character and was very giving of his time. Lewis was another that I was really taken aback by when I met him, he is huge, very imposing, yet softly spoken and a gent. Favourite fighter is, and will alway be, Marvin Hagler.
Fantastic Jaco, fantastic.

My boxing career? Well...

We were in Simon Currie's garden and we took turns wearing the gloves. I came up against James Dealtry, a lad who lived nearby and went to our school. He had massive biceps. Anyway, I bobbed and weaved for three seconds and then proceeded to walk straight into a huge right cross that landed flush in the boat and I went crashing to the turf.

That's it.
Old 02-11-06, 03:07 PM   #7
bazza76
Paisley

Was only ever an amateur boxer, had a couple of fights, was taken out of the game over a dispute. Pity as I could have went on to good things i feel.
Some of the IRish lads would know of Bernard Dunne, boxer from dublin, I was his first ever sparring partner. In the CIE boxing club in Inchicore.

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

* After Tommy Lawrence had let in a fluke goal between his legs
bazza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-06, 03:16 PM   #8
fah-q
Touching cloth

15 rounds? Pah!

Bring back the days of Jack Johnson when you had to fight for about a week.
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-06, 05:04 PM   #9
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

I never EVER fancied being battered around the ring.

Unlike some on here.........
Old 02-11-06, 05:09 PM   #10
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_lfc
Still
It didnt stop it from happening though did it

"Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together," said Lawrence. "No, Tommy, your mother should have kept her legs together!," replied Shankly.

Old 02-11-06, 07:06 PM   #11
kurtangle01
Never Warks on loan

Quote:

Unlike some on here.........
kurtangle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-06, 08:00 PM   #12
Hollowman
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtangle01
I think that it should stop people thinking that scorecards can be fixed sometimes.

As I understand it though the rules are only going to be tested during a boxing card in China to see how they work and if they do then they will be eased in.

It's an excellent idea.

Tokyo, and it will be used in two WBC title matches, so it's not a nothing card. Okay, so it's a mouseweight title fight or something, but still.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-06, 08:34 PM   #13
Helios Creed
Est's Streaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman
I like the idea of to be the man you have to beat the man. Unconscious.
With his own arm, presumably... Would certainly separate the men from the boys.
Helios Creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-06, 08:40 PM   #14
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza76
Still
It didnt stop it from happening though did it
Just coz I knocked you back !!!
Old 03-11-06, 03:03 PM   #15
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Just coz I knocked you back !!!
Thats only cos your ring piece was too raw at that stage, took a ring hammering

Old 03-11-06, 03:16 PM   #16
Howard_lfc
Dalglish

Quote:
Thats only cos your ring piece was too raw at that stage, took a ring hammering
yeah but not by you. I'd chucked you well before then Bazza !
Old 03-11-06, 03:20 PM   #17
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
yeah but not by you. I'd chucked you well before then Bazza !

After all of the hammering you took, I was glad you knocked me back anyway lol.

Old 03-11-06, 06:19 PM   #18
Helios Creed
Est's Streaker

I take back what I said on the other thread about boxing threads having the most civilised posts...
Old 03-11-06, 07:20 PM   #19
bazza76
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios Creed
I take back what I said on the other thread about boxing threads having the most civilised posts...
We are just having a laugh mate. Nothing offensive meant.

Old 03-11-06, 09:49 PM   #20
Helios Creed
Est's Streaker

Quote:
We are just having a laugh mate. Nothing offensive meant.
Me too, hence smiley face.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 03-11-06, 11:56 PM   #21
joyno
Fagan

Quote:
I would agree that it is a good idea. It allows a fighter and his team to know exactly where they are in the fight. I agree that it might get a fight that is a few rounds ahead to coast, but then again that would add to the excitment, watching the other fighter clawing rounds back etc.

I must admit though, like Hollow, I miss 15 rounders, and whilst I appreciate the safety aspect of less rounds, there was something magical about hitting round 13 and above. Of course it is easy for me to say that I miss them when I am not in the ring having to dig deep.

On a different subject, I am a little curious as to how many boxers or ex-boxers we have on here, and were any of you any good? I fought at amateur level for a bit and fought to National level at super heavyweight and had a very very brief pro career (well 4 pro fights so not really a career) The biggest "name" that I would have met in a competitive match at amateur level was Kevin McBride, and have been a sparring partner for both Collins brothers, Steve and Paschall, Scot Welsh, Henry Akiwande(sp), Wank Bruno and Johnny Nelson, have sparred with some of the lesser lights too. Proudest out of ring moment was spending two days in George Foreman's company when he was guest of honour at the club I used to coach in, he was an amazing character and was very giving of his time. Lewis was another that I was really taken aback by when I met him, he is huge, very imposing, yet softly spoken and a gent. Favourite fighter is, and will alway be, Marvin Hagler.
was an amateur boxer from the age of 12 to 16 loved the sport but never really had the heart, maybe because my ex boxing old man expected too much from me, when you consider that the main medal i won was mainly due to half the other team contracting flu and having no opponent you will see i was no great shakes,(i was great in front of the mirror though) favorite fighters Carlos monzon (against hagler i go for Carlos mate but respect your superior knowledge jaco) and don curry despite his honeyghan loss thought the man was class.
joyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 01:54 AM   #22
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyno
was an amateur boxer from the age of 12 to 16 loved the sport but never really had the heart, maybe because my ex boxing old man expected too much from me, when you consider that the main medal i won was mainly due to half the other team contracting flu and having no opponent you will see i was no great shakes,(i was great in front of the mirror though) favorite fighters Carlos monzon (against hagler i go for Carlos mate but respect your superior knowledge jaco) and don curry despite his honeyghan loss thought the man was class.

You got into the ring for four years, you had the heart, no question there. It can be a very unforgiving sport, especially for young fighters.

Monzon was an awesome fighter, shame about his out of ring life. He and Hagler were throwbacks, fighters that would have been top class in any era. It would be hard to pick a winner between them, my bias towards Hagler is what makes me pick Hagler, but when viewed coldly, I can see a very very strong arguement for Monzon winning.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 08:33 PM   #23
joyno
Fagan

Quote:
You got into the ring for four years, you had the heart, no question there. It can be a very unforgiving sport, especially for young fighters.

Monzon was an awesome fighter, shame about his out of ring life. He and Hagler were throwbacks, fighters that would have been top class in any era. It would be hard to pick a winner between them, my bias towards Hagler is what makes me pick Hagler, but when viewed coldly, I can see a very very strong arguement for Monzon winning.
we'll call it a draw then. its a pity there is no software around good enough that pumps all the stats in and human frailty's of these boxers and then you just match them up, i know it wouldn't be superbly accurate but i would get lost for hours on something like that.thanks for the heart compliment mate.
joyno is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports