It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 02-01-16, 12:09 AM   #321
Chazza
Des Lynam

28-0 at the start of the 2nd

Kin ell
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-16, 12:13 AM   #322
Hollowman
Paisley

McCaffrey should have won the Heisman. He's phenomenal. Just plays all over the place and can score from anywhere.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-16, 12:15 AM   #323
Hollowman
Paisley

Jesus, look at him.
Old 02-01-16, 12:19 AM   #324
Chazza
Des Lynam

Will he be drafted this season?

Bet a few teams will be wanting him.
Old 02-01-16, 12:24 AM   #325
Hollowman
Paisley

No. You have to be three years removed from high school graduation, and he's a true sophomore. So he'll be back with the Cardinal next season. It's probably best for him. He's put some muscle on this year, and another year will help him further in that regard.
Old 02-01-16, 12:27 AM   #326
Hollowman
Paisley

Got to love pulling that sort of trickeration out of your hat when you're already four scores up. This is a proper Pardewing.
Old 04-01-16, 10:07 AM   #327
Chazza
Des Lynam

Playoffs

Old 04-01-16, 02:18 PM   #328
paulg
Dalglish

Love seeing the Redskins in there, after years of being utter shit. The closeness of the NFC East does beg the question, are they all shit, or just very closely matched (could still mean shit).
paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 03:22 PM   #329
Hemingway
Benitez

East is definitely shit, but I don't think they're a bad team. This isn't like Carolina last year, backing in at under .500. They're favored over Green Bay, probably rightfully - they're one of the best six teams in the NFC, they belong.

Who did I warn off the Redskins at the start of the season? Not too late to hop on the bandwagon.
Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 04:15 PM   #330
Hollowman
Paisley

Tight game to call. Redskins played five teams with a .500 or better record and only beat the Bills, which doesn't promise much for the playoffs. Packers have four wins over .500+ teams, although they've been wildly inconsistent since their off week. Skins only lost two (relatively low scoring) home ties, but it was those road wins in the stretch that got them in.

That Packers loss in Glendale will interest the Redskins. Packers haven't been able to protect Rodgers very well at all this year, and the O-line was abject against Arizona. Any other QB than Rodgers would have been sacked way more times this year. And if Bakhtiari is out, I don't fancy Sitton much on the outside against Smith and Kerrigan.

Skins have momentum on their side, but I'd say it comes down to Rodgers. He can make a nonsense of any team when the Packers are clicking, even without the vertical threat of Nelson. Skins will have to keep a tight man coverage on Cobb and The Other Rodgers.

Packers haven't won a road playoff game since the 2010 season. They did win it all that year though.
Old 06-01-16, 07:45 PM   #331
Hemingway
Benitez

The fascinating thing is that it's even a discussion. Given Rodgers' pedigree, where GB was at the start of the season, and where DC has been for years now, the way we're talking about the game is pretty remarkable.

There are certain matchups that I think favor Washington, especially in the passing game, enough that I have some cautious optimism. Breeland can take Cobb out of the game, and Smith will do well against whoever's on the Packers' left side. (Even if it's Bakhtiari, he's not going to be at full speed.) So they should get some pressure, and could leave Rodgers trying to beat them with James Jones and the lesser Rodgers on the outside. That's dangerous - it's still Aaron Rodgers - but far from imposing.

And with the way he's played lately I'd back Cousins to put up some points, too. If anything, it's GB's running game which should decide it, which no one really talks about. They're a top ten team on the ground and Washington is pretty dire stopping the run - a little better since Knighton's been fully healthy, but still pretty bad. Can they stop Lacy from going for 125, if GB commits to the run? Probably not. Incredible to think that the Packers may be better served by taking the ball out of Rodgers' hands than putting it in them, but those are the circumstances.

Still should be close enough that a turnover or two could swing it.
Old 06-01-16, 07:59 PM   #332
spud_gun
Paisley

Redskins are only two seasons removed from winning the NFC East. We're not talking about the Browns.
Old 06-01-16, 08:06 PM   #333
Hollowman
Paisley

Watching the Browns take a fourth first round QB in ten years in the draft is going to be a beautiful thing.
Old 06-01-16, 10:17 PM   #334
Hemingway
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Redskins are only two seasons removed from winning the NFC East. We're not talking about the Browns.
And then the QB who led them to that had his knees explode before they went 3-13 and 4-12 in consecutive years. They're not as bad as the Browns (or the Jaguars, who don't get made fun of nearly enough) but as far as laughingstock franchises go they're in the top five. Particularly given what happened with the QB change in preseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman View Post
Watching the Browns take a fourth first round QB in ten years in the draft is going to be a beautiful thing.
Especially at 2. Neither Goff nor Lynch should be going anywhere near that high. Better off going with whichever of Bosa or Tunsil falls to them and getting talent in the building, but they'll talk themselves into a QB.
Old 06-01-16, 11:04 PM   #335
Hollowman
Paisley

Especially as it'll probably be Bosa. Titans badly need to protect Mariota. I'd half respect them if it was Lynch, simply because he's a freak and it'd be so random. But they'll say Goff.
Old 07-01-16, 12:08 AM   #336
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
And then the QB who led them to that had his knees explode before they went 3-13 and 4-12 in consecutive years. They're not as bad as the Browns (or the Jaguars, who don't get made fun of nearly enough) but as far as laughingstock franchises go they're in the top five. Particularly given what happened with the QB change in preseason.
Granted the RGIII situation is a disaster. They're going to cut him aren't they? No way they pay him $15m or so to warm the bench this season.

As for laughing stock franchises? I'd give my eye teeth for my team to have won as many Superbowls as they have
Old 07-01-16, 12:34 AM   #337
Hemingway
Benitez

Quote:
Granted the RGIII situation is a disaster. They're going to cut him aren't they? No way they pay him $15m or so to warm the bench this season.

As for laughing stock franchises? I'd give my eye teeth for my team to have won as many Superbowls as they have
Well, that's true, they had their glory years. I meant (and should have included) in the past decade or so, in regards to how they've been run.
Old 07-01-16, 11:10 AM   #338
paulg
Dalglish

They've only won Superbowls in seasons that have been shortened by strike action though, haven't they? I remember watching 2 of them!

As for the Browns, I was hoping Manziel would prove the doubters wrong. Still hope he can, but looks like it won't be in Cleveland.
Old 07-01-16, 02:43 PM   #339
Hemingway
Benitez

Two of the three, yeah. The '91 team did play out a full year. But that's really the last great team they had.

Manziel has time on his side, but for his sake should go somewhere he can lay low for awhile. KC or Houston or something. Same with RGIII. But one of them's going to end up in Dallas.
Old 07-01-16, 02:48 PM   #340
Hollowman
Paisley

If Jerry dreamed about a footballer, wouldn't it look like Manziel? He's your archetypal Jerryballer.
Old 07-01-16, 06:26 PM   #341
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
If Jerry dreamed about a footballer, wouldn't it look like Manziel? He's your archetypal Jerryballer.
So much so that GM Jerry passed up the opportunity to draft him in 2014.
Old 07-01-16, 07:59 PM   #342
Hemingway
Benitez

He wanted to, though. Supposedly one theory is that he doesn't want Romo to feel threatened, hence never acquiring any sort of proper backup. After this year I don't think there's any way around it, though.
Old 07-01-16, 09:05 PM   #343
spud_gun
Paisley

On reflection they dodged an absolute bullet with Manzel and picked up a stud lineman to boot.

What team do you follow?
Old 08-01-16, 02:24 PM   #344
Hemingway
Benitez

Quote:
On reflection they dodged an absolute bullet with Manzel and picked up a stud lineman to boot.

What team do you follow?
Oh, it worked out great for them. Good example of why Jerry shouldn't be making decisions. I don't expect he'll let that stop him.

And I follow the whole league, but I'm a Washington fan in particular (as you might've been able to tell).
Old 08-01-16, 03:50 PM   #345
paulg
Dalglish

GB v WAS is on at 9:40 PM on Sunday (GMT), nice!
Old 09-01-16, 07:01 PM   #346
Hollowman
Paisley

FCS championship game live on ESPN now. Bison QB Carson Wentz is a draft wildcard. Could go late 1st round if someone (Arizona?) wants to pick up a guy to work with a bit. He's having a good game so far. Some technical stuff with his feet to look at, but he has the arm and the size and is pretty accurate.
Old 09-01-16, 10:41 PM   #347
Chazza
Des Lynam

Nile Davis 106 yard return to open the play offs for the Chiefs.
Old 09-01-16, 11:14 PM   #348
Hemingway
Benitez

Kickoff TD, three and out, punt, interception, interception, fumble. Ugly start. (At least there's a linebacker named "Mercilus" playing. What a name.)

Quote:
FCS championship game live on ESPN now. Bison QB Carson Wentz is a draft wildcard. Could go late 1st round if someone (Arizona?) wants to pick up a guy to work with a bit. He's having a good game so far. Some technical stuff with his feet to look at, but he has the arm and the size and is pretty accurate.
This year's Flacco?
Old 10-01-16, 03:10 PM   #349
Hollowman
Paisley

Wouldn't go that far. Flacco was a known quantity, having been recruited by Pitt, and scouts liked him in a class that wasn't any deeper than this year's. Him and Ryan were the only QBs worth considering. Wentz's first round prospects are much slimmer, and I can't see him starting anywhere day one, but for anyone who is looking for a mid-term replacement they want to bed in, then his small-school status shouldn't scare them off. I would expect him to be the next off the board after the three biggish names - Goff, Lynch, Cook. Possibly could even trouble Cook. Certainly, I'd take him before Jones, Hackenberg, Prescott, Hogan, Kessler, etc.

I like Hackenberg in theory, but he's been so beaten up and is now so familiar with losing, that I'd have worries. Like Jimmy Clausen. Just couldn't shake the habits from that awful Notre Dame team.

Wentz was injured for a lot of this season, had surgery on his wrist. I think if he'd played the whole season there would be more hype about him (much in the way Lynch is taking advantage of a pretty ordinary quarterback class). The Championship game was his first game back in several months and he controlled the game. His accuracy fluctuates (as I said, he dances about a bit), but he has guts. Sees space in front of him and knows when to tuck and run. Took it to the house twice in the title game and threw another TD. He also throws on the move a lot. The Bison deliberately keep him mobile, throwing short and medium completions, so he already comfortably handles more passing lanes than a lot of college ballers do (and it might also mitigate some of the accuracy concerns). I see him going somewhere in the 25-55 pick range.
Old 10-01-16, 04:46 PM   #350
Hemingway
Benitez

Any time a prospect is compared to an already-successful QB there are going to be a lot of mitigations, just because the position is so hard to succeed at. Definitely Flacco was a better prospect. But it's easy to forget that he was seen as a reach at the time and was meant to back up Kyle Boller for awhile (lol) before Boller got hurt. It's not often you see a big, toolsy FCS quarterback as a late riser in a poor QB class who threatens the back half of the first round. In that sense, if in no other, think Flacco's a decent comp. Obviously very different players though, I admit. And seems like you've seen more of him anyway.

Hackenberg is so strange. He's got a good arm, he's clearly a smart guy capable of doing pro-style stuff, and he looked great under O'Brien. Franklin's not a great coach, so maybe getting out of there will help if the rot hasn't set in like you said, but he makes so many unforced mistakes it's crazy. There's something there, just need the right environment. Houston, maybe, given the O'Brien connection. Though they need a more immediate solution.
Old 10-01-16, 07:06 PM   #351
Hollowman
Paisley

Yeah, I really liked Hackenberg that first year, and you can still see the natural ability. Clearly, he didn't just suddenly become rubbish. Perhaps being a mid round pick might end up being the best thing for him, as he won't be playing against expectation. I'd love to see him make it somewhere.

You seen much of Rosen this year at UCLA? Started as a true freshman, so has another two years with the Bruins, but he's exciting as hell. Would go top ten in any draft between now and when he can come out, on potential alone. Very promising player.

Next year's class looks a little better than this year's. I like Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes. Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph are interesting.

QBs are curious right now. The rules are making it easier than ever for pro quarterbacks, but when you look at all the draftees over the past five or six years there are less than a handful who have really made their mark. Cam. Wilson. Luck. College offences are making dudes like RGIII more often now I suppose, but there's no longevity on Sundays for players made of biscuits. Pro teams have to bed too. Carolina worked hard to find good schemes tailored for Cam, and Seattle gave Wilson the read option to help him out.
Old 10-01-16, 08:29 PM   #352
Hemingway
Benitez

I havenít watched Rosen much outside of the bowl, since West Coast games are hell on timing. But his numbers for a true freshman are ridiculous. The same was true of Hackenberg, of course, and but Rosen seems to be in a better place and doesnít have Hackís funky mechanics. Be a major upset if he wasnít #1 whenever he comes out.

I donít think the leagueís figured out what to do now that QBs are changing. You have a small number of canít-miss types (Cam and Luck) and then a wasteland of guys who arenít ready to step into the league, either because they lack the skills or because theyíve played their whole lives in a spread that doesnít prepare them for the pros. The rules are better for QBs now, but the game is harder for them and they're asked to do a lot more, too.

My own theory is that teams are better off throwing a lot of low-cost assets at QB and seeing what sticks - mid-round picks, trades involving mid-round picks, cheapish free agents - rather than trying to find a guy in the first round. Historically itís just been impossible. Teams are so desperate for a QB that anyone with a good chance of success goes 1 or at worst 2; after that you have teams, still desperate, reaching for average guys, most of whom need time and a good situation, which they wonít get because their team just spent a #1 pick on them (a pick which could've been used strengthening the team elsewhere). Hereís the list of guys who went from pick 3 to pick 30 since 2009 (excluding Bortles, since itís too early to tell with him): Manziel, Tannehill, Weeden, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Tebow, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman. Tannehill is the only one of those who isnít an unmitigated failure, but is he any better than average? The pick after Tannehill was Luke Kuechly ó tough to think they wouldnít be better with Kuechly and some random replacement-level QB.

Itís into the second round through ~pick 100 where you start to find value again. Teams who are better, who are giving up less, who are more patient. Thatís where Wilson came in, Cousins, Dalton, Kaepernick. Wilson/Dalton/Kaep were able to come into really good teams, and Cousins was given four years before he became a full-time starter. Neither of those things will apply to a team drafting a QB in the first round, and that's why those QBs will keep struggling.

I donít know how long thatíll be the case, but until coaches figure out how to translate spread offenses itís going to keep being a problem.
Old 10-01-16, 08:32 PM   #353
Hemingway
Benitez

Oh, and what a horrendous weekend of games this has been so far. Fingers crossed Washington-Green Bay brings something watchable.
Old 10-01-16, 09:15 PM   #354
Oberon
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
Oh, and what a horrendous weekend of games this has been so far. Fingers crossed Washington-Green Bay brings something watchable.
Like a 'skins win
Old 10-01-16, 10:08 PM   #355
Chazza
Des Lynam

#rayfinkle
Old 10-01-16, 10:10 PM   #356
spud_gun
Paisley

Taxi for Norwood!
Old 10-01-16, 10:14 PM   #357
Hemingway
Benitez

Laces out. Whoa.
Old 12-01-16, 06:27 AM   #358
Hollowman
Paisley

Bama/Clemson was a 15 round heavyweight strap fight. That was nuts. Where the fuck did OJ Howard and his two bills come from? Did Nick Saban even know what a tight end was before tonight?
Old 13-01-16, 12:21 PM   #359
dom9
Ant Pisser

I see The Rams are moving back to LA.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/35299879

It's a long, long time since I followed NFL (I didn't even realise that the Rams had moved to St Louis ), but the seemingly arbitrary process by which cities host sports franchises is something I just can't my head around.

Looks like The Raiders might even be homeless next year.

Last edited by dom9; 13-01-16 at 12:24 PM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-16, 12:26 PM   #360
paulg
Dalglish

Could they move to Wembley?

est1892 > General > General Sports