It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 30-10-17, 11:36 AM   #4881
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
As far as the calories per day you should consume, well you need to work out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). It factors in your average exercise and will take you how many calories you expend on any normal day.

www.tdeecalculator.net

Once you've got that you can work out how many calories you should be aiming for each day (normally you aim for a 500 calorie deficit each day).

Using this and MyFitnessPal is the only sensible way to lose weight and keep it off IMO.

This explains it far better than I have:

Fitness Body Transformation | Simple Guide from Fat to Fit - YouTube

I've followed this for about 5 weeks now and I'm down about 13lbs.
Which hair conditioner do you use Pablo? Looking trim fella
Old 30-10-17, 11:38 AM   #4882
labourRed
Shankly

Oh yeah, I should've caveated it with, if it works for someone then crack on whether that be running/lifting or calorie counting/other dietary protocols. We're all different genetically and like/need different routines so keep us right.

I don't use an app myself but I've nothing against them at all (moreso the trend of overcomplicating fitness just). That said, I've a spreadsheet that I use to monitor weight, and lifts. Measuring and accountability are key, definitely.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 09:41 AM   #4883
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Anybody suffer from joint issues, particularly back of the knee?

I have a quite a few joint issues, but my left knee is giving me quite a bit of gyp at the minute. I can barely bend it. Am debating making an appointment with the doctor, but think it would be a waste of time. Fairly certain it has been exasperated due to the cold weather and relative inactivity on my part, so not sure what the doc could even do.

Assumed it was arthritis related, even though I'm only 35, but having did a quick bit of research, tightness in my hamstrings and calfs could be causing the problem, as this would make more sense.

Anyone else been diagnosed with anything similar so I can pick your brain?
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 10:24 AM   #4884
labourRed
Shankly

If i were you i'd go to a physio, and if s/he couldn't diagnose it, then a doctor.

But in all likelihood a good physio will know what's up. Good luck.
Old 08-12-17, 11:59 AM   #4885
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
If i were you i'd go to a physio, and if s/he couldn't diagnose it, then a doctor.

But in all likelihood a good physio will know what's up. Good luck.
Cheers.

The more I thought about it though, the more the tight muscles is making sense. I seen a physio last year about my on-going back issues and that was linked to my hamstrings. That was identified in my first appointment, but it didn't stop them inviting me back for another 5 sessions to get their money's worth, so I could see a similar outcome here.

Am confident that if I get back into the routine of doing my stretches, then the pain will ease. If not, I'll maybe go down the doctor/physio route. The reason I haven't already as it wasn't affecting me exercising, quite the opposite in that I felt no pain at all, which further supports the stretching theory.
Old 08-12-17, 05:03 PM   #4886
Rowan
Shankly

Making my last attempt at coming back before I decide it's not going to be my sport anymore. I think the difference this time is my mindset has changed to accept that my days of 1.25 half marathons and 37 minute 10ks has past. It was trying to rush back to a competitive state that has left me injured for the majority of the past 3 years. I've been enjoying short 5 mile cruise abouts, running on trails with the dog and generally avoiding the speedwork that fucked me the first time. Turns out running is canny good fun when you don't take it seriously
Old 26-05-18, 10:16 AM   #4887
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Have we all turned to dough? I certainly have as I've not ran since September. Thinking of going couch to 5k but arthritis in my toes, creaky knees and heel pain that won't go away is going to make it difficult
Old 26-05-18, 10:26 AM   #4888
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Yup, being a bit lardy and loving it!
Old 26-05-18, 12:22 PM   #4889
labourRed
Shankly

I done my ankle in months ago and have only been doing 5x5 for a month but definitely still have much work to do to get back to decent numbers after a massive deload.

At least the weather is on the bounce for a stretch of running.
Old 26-05-18, 12:28 PM   #4890
Mr Darko
Benitez

I've got a 40 mile ultra in the alps coming up soon, I've been slowly increasing my weekly mileage. Looking forward to it - hopefully the views will numb the pain.
Mr Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 03:43 PM   #4891
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Darko View Post
I've got a 40 mile ultra in the alps coming up soon, I've been slowly increasing my weekly mileage. Looking forward to it - hopefully the views will numb the pain.
Old 26-05-18, 03:52 PM   #4892
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Have we all turned to dough? I certainly have as I've not ran since September. Thinking of going couch to 5k but arthritis in my toes, creaky knees and heel pain that won't go away is going to make it difficult
Have you got a bike mate? If so get on that, less pressure on your joints than running.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 04:00 PM   #4893
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
Have you got a bike mate? If so get on that, less pressure on your joints than running.
I've never really got on with bikes mate. We're very hilly here and I'm not the most observant. I'd almost certainly kill myself within weeks
Old 26-05-18, 04:01 PM   #4894
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

I've got a Watt bike and rowing machine at home though, just need to create a space to use them in
Old 26-05-18, 07:38 PM   #4895
EwarWoo
Paisley

Power walking us a great way to burn calories. As intense as running but far easier on the joints.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-18, 10:27 PM   #4896
badpiggy
Paisley

So pathetically erratic with running to the last year or so. Last 10k I ran was 7 weeks ago. The nothing. Did just under 7k on Wednesday gone. Promising myself I'll run tomorrow.
Old 26-05-18, 10:31 PM   #4897
EwarWoo
Paisley

I'm walking 6-7k's Tuesdays and Thursdays (my non gym days) and 12-15ks alternate Sundays (weekends I don't have my son) and the weights just dropping off.

Doubt I'll manage it today though, depends if I nap and wake up sober
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-18, 01:19 PM   #4898
Nicey
Paisley

I ran my first half marathon this year, pulled my calf badly 3 weeks before the race and could not train at all, but decided to give it a go, hobbled over the line just under the cut off, eveything thing was going fine till my good leg went about 2 thirds in and then i hit the dreaded wall, somehow I managed to keep going. Most rewarding thing I have ever done, running my first full marathon later this year, but like a lot of you have not ran for months and feeling like a giant marsh mellow
Old 30-05-18, 10:33 AM   #4899
RedReet

Quote:
CL run has set me back.

Less than 3 weeks until holiday and got 1.25 stone to drop.
Old 05-06-18, 01:09 PM   #4900
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
I done my ankle in months ago and have only been doing 5x5 for a month but definitely still have much work to do to get back to decent numbers after a massive deload.

At least the weather is on the bounce for a stretch of running.
After spending most of last year recovering from an ankle injury I knackered my knee whilst on holiday in October/November last year and although it has improved slightly its nowhere near ready to do any exercise on it

Really frustrating
Old 05-06-18, 07:05 PM   #4901
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
After spending most of last year recovering from an ankle injury I knackered my knee whilst on holiday in October/November last year and although it has improved slightly its nowhere near ready to do any exercise on it

Really frustrating
Oh brother that's shit. I used to get mildly depressed if injured but as life has progressed there's a lot more distractions so it's not quite the hit it once was. Get some physio and get back on it asap.
Old 05-06-18, 11:54 PM   #4902
Rigadon
Shankly

Did the (SMH) Sydney half marathon a couple of weeks ago. Signed up for City2Surf and the Blackmores Sydney Half Marathon (waiting list for the Coastal Classic). I'm not a 'natural' runner and can't say I really enjoy it, but signing up for events gives me the motivation to stay fit(ish). Also, as Nicey said, finishing a half marathon is really rewarding.
Old 06-06-18, 01:21 PM   #4903
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Oh brother that's shit. I used to get mildly depressed if injured but as life has progressed there's a lot more distractions so it's not quite the hit it once was. Get some physio and get back on it asap.
Been having physio but the general consensus seems to be I have inflamed the Meniscus and or Hoffas Pad and or the Medial Ligament

It appears these inflammation injuries are quite difficult to resolve quickly
Old 06-06-18, 05:17 PM   #4904
badpiggy
Paisley

Hoffas Pad is Chris Morris your doctor?
Old 06-06-18, 05:20 PM   #4905
badpiggy
Paisley

Back up to 8k+ twice a, week now with no knee problems so I'm close to being convinced that it was the Adidas Boosts that did the damage. Commiserations to those injured atm - it really can get you down.
Old 02-07-18, 11:22 AM   #4906
luke
Houllier

Anyone on here do F45 ?

Been going to 6 sessions a week for 6 weeks now, really enjoying it and it seems to have quite dramatic effects..at least on me so far.

Starting the 8 week challenge this month...think the hardest part will be sticking to the diet, the stuff they want you to eat costs a bomb over here (Malaysia)

If you don’t know what F45 is, basically it’s a HIIT circuit programme started in oz. each session is 45 minutes long...all the stations are ready for you when you get there so it’s non stop..it’s more like p.e at school than fancy equipment, all medicine balls, boxes, ropes, free weights etc.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:24 AM   #4907
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

I'm thinking of joining one next month!
Old 02-07-18, 11:50 AM   #4908
luke
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
I am really enjoying it, best decision I have made in many a year was to sign up. The resistance days I find the most enjoyable, the cardio kills me..my balance and jumping capabilities have been tested to embarrassment 😂

I seem to recall you are quite a tall chap...a lot of the cardio exercises start on the floor and finish with a jump..I am 6.2” and it hits me hard, my buddy I go with is 6.7” and it hits him harder.

But the results are really quite quick...I can now catch up with my kids when they pinch my beer.

Also all the franchises follow the exact routine, from the oz to us, UK , sea etc. It’s sent to them in the mornings, they set it up and away we go
Old 02-07-18, 11:59 AM   #4909
luke
Houllier

Also if you are joining, I believe all f45’s give you a week or two free trial if you ask..so if you are unsure you can dip your toe
Old 02-07-18, 12:05 PM   #4910
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
How's the push up challenge coming along?
Old 02-07-18, 12:09 PM   #4911
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
I am really enjoying it, best decision I have made in many a year was to sign up. The resistance days I find the most enjoyable, the cardio kills me..my balance and jumping capabilities have been tested to embarrassment

I seem to recall you are quite a tall chap...a lot of the cardio exercises start on the floor and finish with a jump..I am 6.2” and it hits me hard, my buddy I go with is 6.7” and it hits him harder.

But the results are really quite quick...I can now catch up with my kids when they pinch my beer.

Also all the franchises follow the exact routine, from the oz to us, UK , sea etc. It’s sent to them in the mornings, they set it up and away we go

OMG how are you? Where are you now?
Old 02-07-18, 12:10 PM   #4912
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
How's the push up challenge coming along?

I actually got to 30 push ups before I got a pain in my right shoulder. Didn't go back after that..
Old 02-07-18, 04:03 PM   #4913
labourRed
Shankly

I don't want to say i told you so...
Old 03-07-18, 12:16 AM   #4914
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
I don't want to say i told you so...
Fuck you did... Not doing that again!
Old 03-07-18, 08:20 AM   #4915
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Fuck you did... Not doing that again!
Quote:
It's a silly routine. Overtraining and depending on your starting point you'll plateau soon enough as it's nowhere near intense enough. A complete gimmick and waste of time.

Sorry.
Quote:
Don't care, it's exercise and gives me something to aim for. Some days I won't progress. But if I do reach my goal, I'll be sure to record it and ask you to donate to a charity of my choice.

PS. There's no deadline to my challenge.
it was the silliest of silly protocols with entirely predictable results.
Old 03-07-18, 08:21 AM   #4916
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
it was the silliest of silly protocols with entirely predictable results.

Thanks for LabourRedding the point..
Old 07-12-18, 10:04 PM   #4917
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Does anyone have a heavy hanging punch bag? Thinking of getting one and wondered if they are a good workout
Old 07-12-18, 10:22 PM   #4918
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Does anyone have a heavy hanging punch bag? Thinking of getting one and wondered if they are a good workout
Had. They are an incredible workout and destresser. I had one in a room in the house but despite putting a heavy spring, eye nut and rubber etc i felt i was going to structurally fuck the house.

I'd only ever put one up in a garage. I've no experience of a freestanding support.
Old 07-12-18, 10:58 PM   #4919
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Had. They are an incredible workout and destresser. I had one in a room in the house but despite putting a heavy spring, eye nut and rubber etc i felt i was going to structurally fuck the house.

I'd only ever put one up in a garage. I've no experience of a freestanding support.
Cheers mate. I've been building a gym/workshop/man cave and it has a big steel beam across the ceiling that should be strong enough. The bag seems quite a good idea and won't take up much space. What sort of weight would a 5' one weigh and would that be a sensible size if the ceiling/beam is 7' off the floor?
Old 07-01-19, 02:17 PM   #4920
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
Been having physio but the general consensus seems to be I have inflamed the Meniscus and or Hoffas Pad and or the Medial Ligament

It appears these inflammation injuries are quite difficult to resolve quickly
Got so pissed off with this that went back to the GP in November and ended up seeing a specialist a day later (the same one who did Chamberlains and Suarez's knee ops) and he diagnosed a torn cartilage and quite a large tear apparently

Had an arthroscopy op back at end of November and it seems to be healing well

I am not yet running on it gonna leave it at least 2 months post op till I contemplate starting anything other than walking on it.

Really glad I went back to the Dr's as feel much happier since the op

est1892 > General > General Sports