It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 07-11-20, 04:50 PM   #25601
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Good post match by Ole. Laid into the authorities about the packed season and the early kick off.
Old 24-11-20, 09:41 PM   #25602
S-RED
Dalglish

& its a penalty........ kin'ell its absurd how many they get given
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 05:24 PM   #25603
frank the tank
Shankly

william hill did a special 7/2 that they would be awarded a penalty last night. Printing money.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 05:26 PM   #25604
Fivex
The Wisp

wow, that literally was free money.
Old 26-11-20, 10:30 PM   #25605
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 26-11-20, 10:39 PM   #25606
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
But it's understood the hackers still have United in their grip after the National Cyber Security Centre on Thursday night confirmed they are helping the club to resolve the crisis.
Old 26-11-20, 10:46 PM   #25607
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
United say potentially 'disastrous' attack will not impact match-day operations
Surely it will impact match day when it is revealed all the bribes chucked the way of officials over the last 20 years
Old 26-11-20, 11:52 PM   #25608
baitman
Daddy day care

I bet the document shredders are working all night, refs everywhere shittin it

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-20, 08:00 PM   #25609
Irishnev
Shankly

The ghost of Christmas past
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-20, 11:20 PM   #25610
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-20, 11:33 PM   #25611
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I've not seen the post itself but the suggestion on twitter is that it was the same word Suarez used to Evra. It'll be interesting to see if he gets the same sort of ban...
Old 30-11-20, 06:59 AM   #25612
El Diego
Dalglish

It's a tough one, obviously it's not meant offensively. Also not an offensive term in his culture but in ours it is. So he should be punished, not as severely as Suarez though.
I think it's a foul, and if the ref gives it. He got to give a penalty. I know it's outside the box, but you see them given that close to the area. So if the ref gives it he's got to give the penalty as it so close to the area. But I think it's a penalty. Robbie Savage 8/11/06

Are you watching Manchester United? Are you watching Chelsea? This is Liverpool F.C taking over the bloody world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
El Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-20, 08:14 AM   #25613
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
It's a tough one, obviously it's not meant offensively. Also not an offensive term in his culture but in ours it is. So he should be punished, not as severely as Suarez though.
How so, you don't even use the word, so how can it be offensive? You cant take a Spanish word that's similar to something in English and twist it to suit a racial agenda in a different culture. Anyone that's studied language knows you cannot literally translate phrases and terms in English. Well, you can, but you'll have the context completely out of whack and look like a total dickhead. Especially in Spanish and Italian.

As ive said back then, negrito is a widely used term. There is absolutely nothing racial about it. A couple of Argie lads I know say it to each other often.

I get that people are questioning it in regards to the ban Suarez got. But we all know that was bullshit and Evra called him a far worse term in Spanish.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-20, 09:26 AM   #25614
El Diego
Dalglish

What did Evra called Suarez? Thought he just called him a South American?
I think it's a foul, and if the ref gives it. He got to give a penalty. I know it's outside the box, but you see them given that close to the area. So if the ref gives it he's got to give the penalty as it so close to the area. But I think it's a penalty. Robbie Savage 8/11/06

Are you watching Manchester United? Are you watching Chelsea? This is Liverpool F.C taking over the bloody world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30-11-20, 09:29 AM   #25615
El Diego
Dalglish

The FA set a precedent when they banned Suarez. I don’t how they can’t not ban Cavani for at least a game like Bernardo Silva.

Old 30-11-20, 11:59 AM   #25616
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
The FA set a precedent when they banned Suarez. I don’t how they can’t not ban Cavani for at least a game like Bernardo Silva.
Has to be a ban..... I would say 3 games would be fair.
Old 30-11-20, 11:59 AM   #25617
calvoboy
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I've not seen the post itself but the suggestion on twitter is that it was the same word Suarez used to Evra. It'll be interesting to see if he gets the same sort of ban...
Despite using the same word, in its nature it's closer to Bernardo Silva's offence than Suarez's. I expect he'll get a one match ban and warning about future conduct, same as Silva did.
calvoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-20, 12:00 PM   #25618
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvoboy View Post
Despite using the same word, in its nature it's closer to Bernardo Silva's offence than Suarez's. I expect he'll get a one match ban and warning about future conduct, same as Silva did.
Yip makes sense too.
Old 30-11-20, 12:05 PM   #25619
spud_gun
Paisley

I think we'd be best served as a fan base by staying out of this. We did ourselves no favours as a fan base and a club during the Suarez / Evra affair.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-20, 12:08 PM   #25620
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
A couple of definitions
Sudaca - (Spain, offensive, derogatory, vulgar, slang) A Hispanic American, more precisely a South American, especially one considered to have Amerindian features or a non-European accent; spic/spick.

Sudaca is a colloquial term, used as a short way to call people from South American origin mostly in Spain.
The term became dark and xenophobic in the '70s and '80s during an era called la Movida Madrileña due to the massive waves of Southamerican immigrants to Spain. Nowadays, all over the world, people feel proud to be called Sudaca, and unfortunately, some others don't.

So yeah - Evra started the ethnic slurs and mixed race Suarez carried it on.
A pair of windup merchants winding each other up then Suarez gets hanged for it by the not fit for purpose and systemically racist FA

Last edited by fidget; 30-11-20 at 12:13 PM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-20, 12:11 PM   #25621
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
I think we'd be best served as a fan base by staying out of this. We did ourselves no favours as a fan base and a club during the Suarez / Evra affair.

We didnt cover ourselves in glory, and the sooner we recognise that, the better.
Old 30-11-20, 12:15 PM   #25622
fidget
Shankly

For what it's worth I think it's ridiculous if Cavani gets any kind of sanction for this.
Old 30-11-20, 12:21 PM   #25623
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
For what it's worth I think it's ridiculous if Cavani gets any kind of sanction for this.
I do too. Hes obviously not realised its culturally insensitive. Then when he has, he immediately removed it.

But the FA took a stance of zero tolerance. So what do they do?
Old 30-11-20, 12:39 PM   #25624
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

We didnt cover ourselves in glory, and the sooner we recognise that, the better.

Literally thousands of posts from us all on the subject.

Any outrage if/when Cavani doesnt get any sort of ban will be a really bad look. No doubt it will happen though.
Old 30-11-20, 12:57 PM   #25625
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
I do too. Hes obviously not realised its culturally insensitive. Then when he has, he immediately removed it.

I don't think it is culturally insensitive.
I think the FA backed themselves into a corner through their ridiculous and inconsistent actions in the past and their ill thought out racism code.
Old 30-11-20, 12:57 PM   #25626
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
A sudaca. Which is basically the derogatory term Spaniards call Sth Americans.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Old 30-11-20, 01:04 PM   #25627
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
A sudaca. Which is basically the derogatory term Spaniards call Sth Americans.
due to their mixed heritage - it's a derogatory racial slur.

I don't think either of them are racist - they're just a pair of win at all costs wind up merchants and should have been slapped with a ban and told that it's unacceptable and not to do it again.
Tugay was reported by 5(?) players for racist abuse in a match before this incident and the FA did sweet FA.
Old 30-11-20, 01:12 PM   #25628
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:

To who though? Someone that speaks a different language and has taken offence because it sounds like another derogatory term?

Old 30-11-20, 01:37 PM   #25629
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvoboy View Post
I suspect he'll get a toblerone and a pat on the back as it's Utd
Old 30-11-20, 02:17 PM   #25630
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
I suspect he'll get a toblerone and a pat on the back as it's Utd
And maybe an extra peno to ensure no one's feelings are offended.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #25631
El Diego
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
A couple of definitions
Sudaca - (Spain, offensive, derogatory, vulgar, slang) A Hispanic American, more precisely a South American, especially one considered to have Amerindian features or a non-European accent; spic/spick.

Sudaca is a colloquial term, used as a short way to call people from South American origin mostly in Spain.
The term became dark and xenophobic in the '70s and '80s during an era called la Movida Madrileña due to the massive waves of Southamerican immigrants to Spain. Nowadays, all over the world, people feel proud to be called Sudaca, and unfortunately, some others don't.

So yeah - Evra started the ethnic slurs and mixed race Suarez carried it on.
A pair of windup merchants winding each other up then Suarez gets hanged for it by the not fit for purpose and systemically racist FA
Did he actually say it, or did we make the at up to defend Suarez? Can't see anything official about it.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #25632
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
To who though? Someone that speaks a different language and has taken offence because it sounds like another derogatory term?
People in this country think it is. So has to be handled as if it is.

I dont know enough about the word or the people it offends to be able to say it isnt.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #25633
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Henderson now seems to regrets the support the team game to Suarez during that
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #25634
Alex
Administrator

As mentioned though. We apologised to Evra over our handling of it. He was obviously offended. Even 10 years or so later he was clearly still bothered by the whole incident.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #25635
Zapater
Dalglish

Whilst I don't think Suarez should have been punished, nor do I think Cavani should be, for consistency, I believe he should receive something (perhaps not 8 games) because it would be complete double standards again. Obviously against us too. It's a widely used term, Suarez is a person of colour, so can't see them saying it in an obviously malicious manner (there are plenty of other words for that, should they intended it). If they do nothing, it means they have lost the tiny bit of integrity the fuckwits were clawing onto.

I don't buy the culturally insensitive thing in England. It's not an English word that forms part of any culture in England. The misinterpretation of it doesn't ensure dark or cynical undertones.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #25636
Alex
Administrator

Suarez said it on the pitch to get a reaction from an opponent. Bit different to Cavani here, isnt it?

I think someone said about the Silva incident from a year or two ago. Seems similar to that for me. Same word, different situation.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #25637
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Suarez said it on the pitch to get a reaction from an opponent. Bit different to Cavani here, isnt it?

I think someone said about the Silva incident from a year or two ago. Seems similar to that for me. Same word, different situation.
Without repeating the debate we've all had a million times - if the sentiment is the word and the racial connotation attached to it then should the context matter? Racism is racism and if the word is deemed to have connotations which align with the horrors of racism it should be treated as such, regardless of the context. I don't think that there's room for grey in such a serious matter, particularly in the current climate of the world.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM   #25638
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

It is different and the closest comparison is other people using racist language on social media. As others have said, probably best for us to keep out of it. But the Suarez ruling decided that context and different cultural uses were no excuse.

It's just interesting now to see Man Utd fans defending him using similar comments that they were attacking the people who were defending Suarez for using. Just shows the tribal nature of football I guess.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #25639
topscorer
Dalglish

Cavani incident is clearly more innocent than the Suarez incident. It was a response to a friend and in Latin America it is mostly a word of endearment.

However considering he's a long time international team mate of Suarez and must know all the ins and outs of the Evra case and he's at Manchester United he can't claim ignorance about the connotations of the word in the UK.

Difficult one for the FA. I don't see how they can let it go by considering how hard they came down on Suarez.

Difficult one for the Mancs too, difficult for them to defend or be upset about the consequences considering the Suarez incident.

Definitely better for Liverpool supporters to keep out of it though I think!
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #25640
RichC
Meh

I don't think Cavani should be punished here and nor should it really be compared to the Suarez incident however the FA made a rod for their own back in all of this, how they deal with it will be interesting.

As said above though it's probably best Liverpool supporters keep out of it!
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football