It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 31-10-20, 08:17 PM   #4521
ChesterDave
Paisley

Going to be an exciting finish. Sensibly the English bonus point rules out France winning it but Ireland win not out the question. Ireland bonus point win I think is too much to ask without something like a red csrd
Old 31-10-20, 09:14 PM   #4522
Zapater
Dalglish

Brilliant from Fickou and DuPont. Incredible. I know I'm always having a DuPont wankfest in here but the channels he runs to support are consistently amazing.

Who is the South African commentator? Killed me when he said that Paul Willemse has trimmed down in France because he eats less braaivleis now (barbequed or grilled meat).
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 09:37 PM   #4523
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Going to be an exciting finish. Sensibly the English bonus point rules out France winning it but Ireland win not out the question. Ireland bonus point win I think is too much to ask without something like a red csrd
Ireland looking pretty good so far.

I have a feeling that the 7 points that we missed out on (2 x cons hitting the posts and the pen in front that was reversed) might actually be the difference between us and Ireland winning the 6N.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 09:38 PM   #4524
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Brilliant from Fickou and DuPont. Incredible. I know I'm always having a DuPont wankfest in here but the channels he runs to support are consistently amazing.

Who is the South African commentator? Killed me when he said that Paul Willemse has trimmed down in France because he eats less braaivleis now (barbequed or grilled meat).

Is this a rhetorical question - funnily enough we don't have any SA commentators on the BBC
Old 31-10-20, 10:01 PM   #4525
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Is this a rhetorical question - funnily enough we don't have any SA commentators on the BBC
Not sure which commentary/broadcast we're getting then, assumed it was BBC. It clearly isn't Super Sport. Maybe it's ITV or Virgin Media - he refers to the Irish (I think, sorry Nev if I got the accent wrong) commentator as Robbo - not sure who that is either.
Old 31-10-20, 10:10 PM   #4526
Cormack74
Shankly

It's (Welshman) Eddie Butler on the Beeb.
Old 31-10-20, 10:18 PM   #4527
Zapater
Dalglish

That's a thing of beauty. The French defence has been strong and disciplined too, Ireland could have been well ahead.

I'm still holding thumbs that France can get a few more. Delusional, but in sports anything can happpen.
Old 31-10-20, 10:32 PM   #4528
RichC
Meh

Fantastic try from Henshaw there, waltzed through the french defence there
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 10:44 PM   #4529
RichC
Meh

Another try there from the French. They’ve been pretty good this half
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-20, 10:46 PM   #4530
Zapater
Dalglish

Ntamack is something different. That chip puts Finn Russel to shame!
Old 31-10-20, 10:53 PM   #4531
Cormack74
Shankly

I hope Buzzo doesn't read that
Old 31-10-20, 11:11 PM   #4532
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

Oh the post match interviews were done by some SA dude called something like Tina Stellport (sounds more like a girl but hey ho ). Maybe he did your commentary?
Old 31-10-20, 11:14 PM   #4533
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Oh the post match interviews were done by some SA dude called something like Tina Stellport (sounds more like a girl but hey ho ). Maybe he did your commentary?
I think that may be him, I think the Irish guy called him Tiaan (Afrikaans for Christiaan) so I was trying to work out who it could be, was thinking Liebenberg perhaps, but doubt it. Hmmm will rack my brain for ex-Rugby men with a name that sounds like Tiaan Stellport
Old 31-10-20, 11:42 PM   #4534
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I hope Buzzo doesn't read that

Yeah - Finn does it every game. Ntamack is a great player though.

It was my sons birthday so I’ve missed almost everything today.

I’ve got the Scotland game recorded but apparently it was a shocker, with high winds. Also I heard Finn and Adam Hastings went off with injuries

Congrats to England worthy winners of a strange old tournament.
Old 01-11-20, 09:26 AM   #4535
Irishnev
Shankly

Iíll post some proper thoughts later - that game annoyed me way more than it should have......for now all Iíve got is meh and I canít wait for Sexton to retire
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 06:30 PM   #4536
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I’ll post some proper thoughts later - that game annoyed me way more than it should have......for now all I’ve got is meh and I can’t wait for Sexton to retire

So, 9 hours have passed Nev. I can see you're putting quite a lot into this process

I sense it's going to be a 'magnus opus'.
Old 01-11-20, 06:38 PM   #4537
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
So, 9 hours have passed Nev. I can see you're putting quite a lot into this process

Never had you down as a gloater
Old 01-11-20, 06:41 PM   #4538
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Been busy with other stuff

Didnít expect a win but by fuck we butchered some amount of ball - bad decisions compounded by worse execution. Stockdale is a coward and Sexton needs to retire......
Old 01-11-20, 06:41 PM   #4539
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Oh sorry is that how it came across? It wasn't intentional.

I'm genuinely interested to read what he has to say - just wondering what the hold up is
Old 01-11-20, 06:42 PM   #4540
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:

Iíll leave them to the HR thread

France the best side this year but Scotland caught them on the hop
Old 01-11-20, 06:42 PM   #4541
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Been busy with other stuff

Didnít expect a win but by fuck we butchered some amount of ball - bad decisions compounded by worse execution. Stockdale is a coward and Sexton needs to retire......
Where's the rest of it
Old 01-11-20, 06:43 PM   #4542
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Iíll leave them to the HR thread
Fair
Old 01-11-20, 06:43 PM   #4543
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Where's the rest of it
Iíve calmed down - Iíve accepted we have bleak years in front of us and am thankful for the recent glory years. Buzzo and Scotland deserve a go now
Old 01-11-20, 06:45 PM   #4544
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Oh sorry is that how it came across? It wasn't intentional.

I'm genuinely interested to read what he has to say - just wondering what the hold up is
Not at all becoming!

Not at all, you probably come across as the least biased in this thread where everyone else has an agenda in some capacity or another. Was just pulling your leg a little.
Old 01-11-20, 06:54 PM   #4545
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

France the best side this year but Scotland caught them on the hop

I'm really not sure if they were or not to be honest.

They had a massive confidence boost in game 1 getting the rub of the green to beat an England team who barely turned up and that sustained them for the rest of the tournament. I'm not sure Scotland caught them on the hop I think it was more the case that the Scots played to their potential and showed that France weren't as good as everyone thought they might be.

The big positive for France in beating England was that they didn't do the normal French knee jerk thing of changing loads of players that would have happened if they'd lost. Selection has been consistent and with a decent back line, they have the ability to play like the proper French teams of yesteryear.

Much as I have no wish to see them back winning consistently again, it's going to be good for Rugby if it happens.
Old 01-11-20, 07:03 PM   #4546
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Not at all becoming!

Not at all, you probably come across as the least biased in this thread where everyone else has an agenda in some capacity or another. Was just pulling your leg a little.
Thanks mate

This is potentially the best thread on Est because we all support different teams and will often be watching different games, so have different stuff to share.

But equally when it comes to the Internationals we have rivalry too.

I'm always genuinely interested to hear everyone's view and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed that Nev hasn't given us a bit more on why he's hanging Sexton and Stockdale out to dry

Given Ireland only had to win by 6 (or 7 or whatever it was) I was a bit surprised that they didn't try and keep the scoreboard ticking over a bit more when they had the opportunity rather than going for the big plays.

Nev - was this your view too?
Old 01-11-20, 07:14 PM   #4547
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

Yeah - Finn does it every game. Ntamack is a great player though.

It was my sons birthday so I’ve missed almost everything today.

I’ve got the Scotland game recorded but apparently it was a shocker, with high winds. Also I heard Finn and Adam Hastings went off with injuries

Congrats to England worthy winners of a strange old tournament.

I think any away win in the 6N is a good result TBH - other than Italy which really doesn't count

Scotland are building as are France, Wales might be about to have a lull but Ireland aren't so far away even if they lost yesterday. They maybe just need to shake up the personnel a bit.

England were brilliant against Nev's boys and for 3/4 of the game v Wales but they got the 50 - 50 against your lot Buzzo and it could have gone either way and they were bang average v the French.

So overall I don't know how worthy England were to come out as winners. The fact that 4 teams had 3 or more wins suggests to me that it was all pretty close this year and maybe the fact the title was decided on points difference underlines that. It's going to be interesting to see what's changed and what hasn't when we go again for the 8 nations in a few weeks time.

Can't wait
Old 01-11-20, 07:37 PM   #4548
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Thanks mate

This is potentially the best thread on Est because we all support different teams and will often be watching different games, so have different stuff to share.

But equally when it comes to the Internationals we have rivalry too.

I'm always genuinely interested to hear everyone's view and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed that Nev hasn't given us a bit more on why he's hanging Sexton and Stockdale out to dry

Given Ireland only had to win by 6 (or 7 or whatever it was) I was a bit surprised that they didn't try and keep the scoreboard ticking over a bit more when they had the opportunity rather than going for the big plays.

Nev - was this your view too?
They should have played it as a test match - win it and then see. Kicking the corners when 3 points were on offer time and again was daft. Win the game and see if is by enough - we coughed up such handy scores to France to keep them motivated through bad errors compounded by worse execution. I didnít have much expectations but I just found it so frustrating for some reason and Sexton has been a legend but his time is up.

Thankfully James Lowe qualifies soon and we might see Conway at fullback instead of Stockdale. Zebo would be better but no exceptions for non centrally contracted players unless your name is Johnny
Old 01-11-20, 07:45 PM   #4549
Cormack74
Shankly

Yeah we're on the same page with how they approached it

Not familiar with Lowe (at least I don't think I am), but Zebo is a big miss IMO - it's rare I'm not impressed when watching him play.

They need to write the cheque and get him back to provincial rugby pronto.
Old 01-11-20, 07:50 PM   #4550
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Scotland wise, having watched the game I was impressed. We look mean in defence. Not sure I’ve ever said that before. Steve Tandy and Pieter De Villiers have made a huge improvement there. We also have genuine front row depth.

If we can get the backs firing we could be quite a team. I’d say the area that isn’t working for us is centre, we are trying a lot of combinations and can’t find anyone with flair who also has a strong defence. But. For a work in progress I’m pretty happy and the watershed from the last World Cup has brought progress.

We’ve sacked off the ‘fastest brand of rugby’ chat which is good.

Quite a frustrating 6Ns for us. We should have beaten Ireland and we will never know v England because of the weather. On the day we just couldn’t get across the line.

We seem capable of finding 3 wins, we cannot get to 4 or the holy grail of 5.
Old 01-11-20, 07:52 PM   #4551
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Kicking for the corner is very in vogue. I think it’s from Exeter as they pretty much guarantee 7 points line out and maul their way over. Hogg was trying to get us to do it yesterday with an easy three on offer.

Taking the 3 is almost old fashioned.
Old 01-11-20, 07:53 PM   #4552
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:

Not familiar with Lowe (at least I don't think I am), but Zebo is a big miss IMO - it's rare I'm not impressed when watching him play.

He seems very settled in Paris and with Donncadh O Callaghan there with him he has local company. He also has a good relationship with Russell.

Lowe is a Kiwi been playing on the wing for Leinster and he qualifies for Ireland next week. Same story with us - industry in the pack but nothing behind the scrum - we are crying out for creativity in the centre or at out half but all get get is one out runners. Ringrose I really rate but he gets injured all the time.......we still have some massive prospects coming through across the country so if they make it them we might be ok
Old 01-11-20, 07:54 PM   #4553
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

He was floating the idea of leaving Racing. He is class and a big miss for the 6Ns. He was also hoping Ireland might change the ruling. I think they should.
Old 01-11-20, 07:57 PM   #4554
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Kicking for the corner is very in vogue. I think itís from Exeter as they pretty much guarantee 7 points line out and maul their way over. Hogg was trying to get us to do it yesterday with an easy three on offer.

Not a fan of it at all unless you're really looking to grind a tired opponent down or if there's something tactically in the maul to expose. Will never forget the Bulls losing a Super Rugby semi 7 or 8 years ago against the Brumbies I think because Potgieter consistently kicked for the corners.
Old 01-11-20, 08:36 PM   #4555
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

If we can get the backs firing we could be quite a team. Iíd say the area that isnít working for us is centre, we are trying a lot of combinations and canít find anyone with flair who also has a strong defence. But. For a work in progress Iím pretty happy and the watershed from the last World Cup has brought progress.
I only watched some of the game as it was by no means a thriller and I went outside to make the most of some drier weather, but you're right, the centres caught the eye but only because they weren't great. A year or two back you had some quality there - what happened?
Old 01-11-20, 08:37 PM   #4556
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Kicking for the corner is very in vogue. I think itís from Exeter as they pretty much guarantee 7 points line out and maul their way over. Hogg was trying to get us to do it yesterday with an easy three on offer.

Haha, as a back and playing for Exeter he probably thinks it's a piece of cake getting 5 (7) every time.
Old 01-11-20, 09:20 PM   #4557
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I only watched some of the game as it was by no means a thriller and I went outside to make the most of some drier weather, but you're right, the centres caught the eye but only because they weren't great. A year or two back you had some quality there - what happened?
I think we were exposed a bit by having guys with quick hands and a bit of flair. But on occasion we were conceding territory and losing games. Now we are pragmatic and a bit... too safe.

Huw Jones form fell away big time to the point he is now starting at Full back for Glasgow. Not sure what the story is with Sam Johnson. Matt Scott was jettisoned by Exeter.
Old 01-11-20, 09:21 PM   #4558
Zapater
Dalglish

Just finished watching the Chasing the Sun documentary. Hasn't been released internationally yet, apparently they're in talks with distributors so it could be available soon elsewhere. Not convinced it will travel brilliantly.

It looks at the world cup campaign with a camera crew filming the whole of Rassie's reign. Thought it was okay, but nothing special - in terms of showing the actual technical and management process I preferred the Spurs Amazon series. This goes between the rugby and story telling.

Whilst it is a bit heart warming and it shows some great insight to the players as people - I do hate the narrative that South Africa/South Africans are hapless, hopeless, intolerant, poverty stricken, depressed people; but suddenly we win a few matches of rugby and everyone is delighted and the nation is 'together', whatever that means. That Invictus movie with Matt Damon makes me sick.

I've always known Rassie as a terrific coach and a strong leader, but I was really impressed with what I saw. He reminds me a bit of Klopp in all honesty, obviously not as good but impressively close. He must have been the only one who believed the Boks could have won the WC when he took over, he said it from day one and I always thought of it as BS. His English is hilarious - wonder what the Irish players thought of his accent.

Some of the insights to match prep was interesting, doing drills in slow motion in hotels etc so no one can film sessions or look into secrets. A lot of the guys; Beast, Etzebeth, Mapimpi, Vermeulen etc come across really well. I also learnt that Elton and Herschelle Jantjies aren't related - genuinely thought they were brothers.

Not sure if this will be watchable in other regions - but there's the trailer.
Old 01-11-20, 09:22 PM   #4559
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Not a fan of it at all unless you're really looking to grind a tired opponent down or if there's something tactically in the maul to expose. Will never forget the Bulls losing a Super Rugby semi 7 or 8 years ago against the Brumbies I think because Potgieter consistently kicked for the corners.
The one that always springs to mind is Chris Robshaw.

I’ll bet he thinks about that decision once or twice a week.
Old 01-11-20, 10:28 PM   #4560
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
I think we were exposed a bit by having guys with quick hands and a bit of flair. But on occasion we were conceding territory and losing games. Now we are pragmatic and a bit... too safe.

Huw Jones form fell away big time to the point he is now starting at Full back for Glasgow. Not sure what the story is with Sam Johnson. Matt Scott was jettisoned by Exeter.
Sam Johnson rings almost no bells

Huw Jones looked good for a while - didn't realize he was gradually moving backwards

I can recall Matt Scott at Gloucester but not at the Chiefs - was he definitely there?

est1892 > General > General Sports